Advanced search  

Poll

Herp?

Derp!
Derp!
Derp!
Derp!

Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 ... 1328

Author Topic: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...  (Read 879626 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...
« Reply #17160 on: April 22, 2016, 07:29:13 am »

You cannot.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17161 on: April 22, 2016, 07:31:34 am »

says who
abilities start at level 1 but that doesn't mean anything
Black lives matter.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17162 on: April 22, 2016, 07:35:10 am »

I like "Ability Cap of 4 until level 6, at which point it becomes ability level -2, and on level 5 it is level -1."
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17163 on: April 22, 2016, 09:01:24 am »

I would personally rather a far harsher cap such as Level/2, or just a fixed cap of 5 or something that is never raised. Even at Level 5, an Aura Charge, if the progression of Deep Pass is anything to go by, would be a 6x damage multiplier.

Alternatively, some sort of diminishing returns system.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:05:14 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17164 on: April 22, 2016, 09:14:03 am »

Level/2 is .5 for Level 1 characters, 1 for Level 2 characters (effectively preventing upgrades), 1.5 for Level 3 characters, and only actually allows legitimate upgrading at Level 4.
Black lives matter.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17165 on: April 22, 2016, 09:15:21 am »

Unless the GMs plan to start develing PCs, that won't be much of a problem since no one will be starting at any level less than 6.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #17166 on: April 22, 2016, 09:16:26 am »

Maybe the problem is with how much of an upgrade upgrade are and not with the number of levels.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17167 on: April 22, 2016, 09:19:53 am »

Possibly, but the cap does need to be adjusted. Nerf upgrades too much and there's no point, but if upgrades are viable then it's honestly best to just pump all your AP into one useful Action a lot of the time short of some sort of diminishing returns mechanism.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17168 on: April 22, 2016, 09:20:17 am »

Maybe Gms dissallow quadradic scaling of skills after level 3?

So instead of increasing the dice, which exponentuially increases it's effectiveness as stats increase, it adds flat dice or horizontal growth after 3.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17169 on: April 22, 2016, 09:33:38 am »

Might be best to just standardize everything first, then see if there's anything to go on. Because right now it's a mess with buffs apparently able to either be in terms of their target (Parov Stelar) or their user (Kyle Johnson), along with some "Hit Harder" Actions using unique calculations (Big Boom) and others being expressed in terms of Basic Attack (God Hand).

I suppose if all else fails, you could just make all base values such as damage come from equipment, while stat points directly correspond to Upgrade Points for specific disjoint subsets of Actions. So only CON can give you regen and ailment-resistence perks, only RES gives you guarding and reflection, only BST gives you charge attacks, etc.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:48:19 am by Empiricist »

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17170 on: April 22, 2016, 09:52:15 am »

Yeah, but if you standardize everything, It makes things dull.

Like, Really dull.

The only reason we even have these precedents to base other things on is because things were not standardized, and it basically guts new characters before they are even conceived of.

We don't need to limit things, we just need more general guideline.

I suggest this,

No skill caps, aside from the obvious level skill cap,

Quadratic growth ends after level 3, so your third level in a skill is the last one where you can increase the basic formula's effectiveness.

Level 4 and onward, you can only add individual or unrelated effects, such as +1d6 bonus damage, Heal health on use, debuff an enemy, ignore 4 RES, and so on.

After level 6, or some suitable level, your skill is applicable for an Ult, a new skill which has less caps, but can only be used after a set amount of turns, when certain conditions are fulfilled, and/or Once per battle, plot, level, or boss fight, or something similar.

So Deep pass would probably get a huge nerf, but then an ultimate version of it could be added which has restrictions on it's use for the purpose of doing the epic shenanigans associated with it now.

Does anybody have anything they would like to add, subtract, or comment on about my idea?

the reason level 4 and onward are so weak is because of the action pumping thing, this way, 3 levels in a skill is 3d6 extra damage at best, or some minor effects stacked on to it to keep it's action economy reasonable if they just POUR points into it after level 3. and it makes it applicable for a stronger version to be used, which gives people the freedom to increase their power level for that ability further.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:55:33 am by Shadestyle »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17171 on: April 22, 2016, 09:55:27 am »

You seem to be misunderstanding me. I'm not asking for a bog standard set of archetypes that everything needs to fit in, just that everything in a general category should be consistent.

"Hit Harder" Actions should either be in terms of Basic Attack, or have their own calculations, there shouldn't be some that use the former and others that use the latter. Likewise buffs and debuffs should either be proportional to the caster's stats, or manifest as a percentage penalty/buff to their target irrespective of the caster's stats, there shouldn't be instances of both.

Otherwise you're going to have to juggle each existing type, which isn't going to end well because how the hell are you meant to try and balance two completely different kinds of calculations?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:57:20 am by Empiricist »

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17172 on: April 22, 2016, 09:58:43 am »

Problem with that is, there should be, that sounds like a bog standard set of archetypes to me.

Basic attack based actions are hit harder skills

Percentage based debuffs are the only debuffs.

I mean, Removing entire chunks of potential character design is not a sign of good game design.

Yet again, as if I even need to repeat myself by now, we need General guidelines instead of limiting rules, and players willing to discuss reasonably with their GM about making appropriate changes to their character when needed.

With that system, more than 60% of players will need to completely rework their charecters, when only 10% of charecters have Overpowered abilities or concepts.

I mean, Dackly has Basic attack stims, individual calculations, Stat based, and percentage based debuffs on the same sheet, and she is balanced because i took the time to discuss what changes were appropriate to the character.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 10:00:46 am by Shadestyle »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17173 on: April 22, 2016, 10:05:49 am »

I mean, Removing entire chunks of potential character design is not a sign of good game design.
It is if they are redundant and make the game nigh-impossible to balance. It's not going to change the nature of the attacks, an attack will still be an attack, a debuff will still be a debuff. Having conflicting calculation methods isn't real variety. Do you see any sort of proper game that uses two completely different damage calculation systems at utter random? Because that's the status quo.

If we just go off the majority, very few Actions will require modification. Most attacks ARE implicitly in terms of Basic Attack. Most buffs ARE percentage-based.

In fact the two minority Attacks that come to mind are Alanis' spells that need a nerf anyway, and Big Boom both of which already require reworking (the former being OP, the latter being underpowered).

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #17174 on: April 22, 2016, 10:08:39 am »

If we just go off the majority, very few Actions will require modification. Most attacks ARE implicitly in terms of Basic Attack. Most buffs ARE percentage-based.
HISS
Pages: 1 ... 1143 1144 [1145] 1146 1147 ... 1328