Advanced search  

Poll

Herp?

Derp!
Derp!
Derp!
Derp!

Pages: 1 ... 1184 1185 [1186] 1187 1188 ... 1328

Author Topic: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...  (Read 879544 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Trespassers of the Multiverse: Gaiden [OOC] Compleation is a drop away...
« Reply #17775 on: April 29, 2016, 09:55:39 pm »

Hey Emp, what about that system Piecewise is? was? testing for ORO?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17776 on: April 29, 2016, 09:55:47 pm »

but that would be even funner, a poker themed character who uses poker hands as attacks

Some of his cards would include "2 Pair" which doubles an ally's attack "3 of a kind" which triples it, "Flush: Hearts" for healing.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17777 on: April 29, 2016, 09:59:05 pm »

There have been attempts to do Yugioh RP games and MTG RP games with the cards, they weren't ever really carried through

Exactly my point. I think. It'd be something new and vaguely interesting to do.

but that would be even funner, a poker themed character who uses poker hands as attacks

Some of his cards would include "2 Pair" which doubles an ally's attack "3 of a kind" which triples it, "Flush: Hearts" for healing.

So they'd spend most of their time buffing then, unless they're playing the kind of poker were you can swap cards in/out...

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17778 on: April 29, 2016, 09:59:54 pm »

Hey Emp, what about that system Piecewise is? was? testing for ORO?
Oh, yeah that. Forgot actually.

USEC: A link to the system test. This is still being tested so for all I know a specific, but common combination might just start trying to parse html via regex and ruin everything forever.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17779 on: April 29, 2016, 10:01:09 pm »

Well, the implication is that their abilities are them getting lucky on a hand of 5 card stud, so some of the ability cards would be "High trash" which is a basic attack, and "Almost Flush: Diamonds" which spends a chunk of his money and deals it as damage, rather than dealing damage and giving him money equal to it
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17780 on: April 29, 2016, 10:03:15 pm »

Actually, what about the mechanics from Kingdom Hearts, back in the card-battle days?  An ever-rotating deck and you can make 2- and 3-card combos, but you lose the third card.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sanure

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:DRONE][PREFSTRING:MADNESS][ETHICS:NOPE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17781 on: April 29, 2016, 10:04:31 pm »

There have been attempts to do Yugioh RP games and MTG RP games with the cards, they weren't ever really carried through

*Raises hand at mentions of the MTG RP* Will not deny it. It was poorly excecuted.
Quote from: Discord
Suika, Drinker of Sake - Today at 9:11 PM
"...I really don't know why Cu chulainn made that last promise because he is physically incapable of keeping it in his pants, it is like his junk is some kind of unruly seamonster or moray eel telescoping out of its holster and harpooning ladies left and right"
Johnny Jokotaru sent Kars down under

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17782 on: April 29, 2016, 10:05:40 pm »

I have never played a Kingdom Hearts game in my life, TBF. I have no idea what you are talking about.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17783 on: April 29, 2016, 10:06:55 pm »

A 358/2 Days-like system (skills/items take up slots and have different shapes, so you need to fit them together the right way) sounds interesting to me now that you mention KH.
Black lives matter.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17784 on: April 29, 2016, 10:08:29 pm »

A 358/2 Days-like system (skills/items take up slots and have different shapes, so you need to fit them together the right way) sounds interesting to me now that you mention KH.

Which wouldn't work with the more freeform system that people want. That was an option that I was considering though.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17785 on: April 29, 2016, 10:08:54 pm »

I have never played a Kingdom Hearts game in my life, TBF. I have no idea what you are talking about.
You've got a deck of cards, with actions on them.  This deck loops indefinitely.  There's a rechargey thing, but ignore that.

You can stick those actions together to make combos, but if you use three, you lose the third.  And you cannot go higher than three.
Sigtext

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #17786 on: April 29, 2016, 10:09:14 pm »

This just makes me think of MMBN3's "programming."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17787 on: April 29, 2016, 10:15:35 pm »

What about a bastard cross between Lexicon and Phantom Dust? You have modular magic/actions/etc. in a deck of your own design, you draw cards under certain circumstances and use them to perform attacks and special moves. Enemies could even drop their own cards upon demise.

I suppose that would work better with a chunky salsa system, so people might be upset at the prospect of their snowflakes losing arms and whatnot, but having healing should counteract that.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17788 on: April 29, 2016, 10:25:06 pm »

You've got a deck of cards, with actions on them.  This deck loops indefinitely.  There's a rechargey thing, but ignore that.

You can stick those actions together to make combos, but if you use three, you lose the third.  And you cannot go higher than three.

I'll keep that in mind. It sounds like it could be rather interesting.

What about a bastard cross between Lexicon and Phantom Dust? You have modular magic/actions/etc. in a deck of your own design, you draw cards under certain circumstances and use them to perform attacks and special moves. Enemies could even drop their own cards upon demise.

That was more or less what I was going to do. Or aiming for, at least. Again, I don't have anything concrete since some earlier experimenting didn't turn out too well.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17789 on: April 29, 2016, 11:14:51 pm »

You could look at the Lexicon thread for inspiration then. Of course, there, there's stats outside of cards, so for making the entire game card-based will still require further work. As for the Phantom Dust side of matters, handling drawing and/or resource, you could have it so that characters steadily draw cards and gain resources, but various effects, and taking damage, can let them draw and gain resources quicker. Or something along those lines, since Phantom Dust's draw/resource system requires people to physically run over to a specific spot which may not be ideal for a forum game.

It would also allow some more leeway since you could permit characters to have unique "element" cards or something like that since the reasonable ones ought to be rather easy to balance just by playing around with base power and cost, and you can just reject the ones that are blatantly overpowered (Damage Negation) or too abstract (Antidisestablishmentarianism).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 11:18:57 pm by Empiricist »
Pages: 1 ... 1184 1185 [1186] 1187 1188 ... 1328