Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23

Author Topic: Arms Race: 1780 - Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy - 1782 Espionage Phase  (Read 24381 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: 1780 - Dunwich Meritocratic Confederacy - 1781 Design Phase
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2015, 04:41:00 pm »

Let me restate it: my understanding was that we coudn't influence our nation's diplomacy (signing cease-fire is above our pay grade) but that we could still communicate.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2015, 05:21:06 pm »

I kinda like the steam engine, actually. We might not get railroads out of it this early, but we'll at least get basic industrial machinery, and the advantages that would bring us can't really be overstated.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2015, 07:22:26 pm »

Victoria pistol? any ome?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2015, 07:27:08 pm »

I was thinking that as a revision.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2015, 10:33:50 pm »

Not stealing London class is so meh

Steam engine is interesting because we have experience with pressurized air... but I prefer not rush it yet

Victoria carabine is not something I like. It doesn't look reliable enough to survive riding, furthermore I don't like revising any weapon more than once.

I suggest

1) Design an air pistol for cavalry use.
2) Revise saddles, horseshoes and other equine equipment to give boost to our cavalry and maybe logistics
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2015, 12:48:25 am »

Should we try for an automatic pistol?

Spoiler: The X Cavalry Pistol (click to show/hide)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2015, 12:55:33 am »

full automatic fire isn't funny
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2015, 01:52:25 am »

I think we need to work on logistics and getting second point of resource.

So here is my proposal

My proposal and vote
Crocodile river boat
Nimble river boat powered both by oars and single sail. Sturdy enough to withstand Brown Bess fire. Can carry either supplies or a fire-team armed with Victoria (I or II) or Brown Bess.

Intended uses are logistics, preventing enemies from crossing the rivers, aiding friendly forces in crossing the rivers, boarding enemy boats\ships that will dare to enter our rivers and delivering small groups behind enemy lines

We need second point of resources to allow ourself a proper artillery (or more 6lbses), island has enough rivers to make it useful, including several in the Bradford area that we need to defend.

PS. I want to get second point of ore and design 12 pounders next turn to assault the fort. We shouldn't assault it now. Designing 12 pounders now is pointless because their cost will be huge.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:51:20 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2015, 04:22:18 pm »

Minor bump of this thread as it has been over 12 hours without a post within it and there is currently no leading design.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2015, 04:40:23 pm »

UR, I think that's a terrible idea, because it doesn't give us any new tech. It's not even much of an improvement over the fishing boats we have. I say let's go for a train. Armored train are going to be awesome.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2015, 05:05:06 pm »

Victoria pistol? any ome?
1) Design an air pistol for cavalry use.
Funk did switch to the automatic version, although that still technically qualifies as "an air pistol for cavalry use" even if it isn't funny...
I would add that the loading wheel should be spring-loaded with very few, very shallow spokes and should press a hinged valve into the barrel to block the airflow between shots and to prevent pressure escaping into the incoming facing of the wheel. Add a handle to wind the wheel when reloading... all these mechanisms would be time-consuming and prone to failure, but they would need to carry a few of the guns into battle anyway because reloading would be impractical at its effective ranges regardless. It probably wouldn't really matter if a few of them failed anyway, as they would be a cavalry action where shock is more important that consistency anyway. I imagine that we could get something that could at least startle multiple soldiers immediately prior to cavalry engaging them.

I do not actually support the automatic pistol, but I will put my name on its list if it is needed for a tie-breaker.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2015, 05:50:20 pm »

Funk did switch to the automatic version, although that still technically qualifies as "an air pistol for cavalry use" even if it isn't funny...
Ok so it's a bit over the top but cavalry are all about shock action, one close range burst and then in with the saber.

I would add that the loading wheel should be spring-loaded with very few, very shallow spokes and should press a hinged valve into the barrel to block the airflow between shots and to prevent pressure escaping into the incoming facing of the wheel. Add a handle to wind the wheel when reloading... all these mechanisms would be time-consuming and prone to failure, but they would need to carry a few of the guns into battle anyway because reloading would be impractical at its effective ranges regardless. It probably wouldn't really matter if a few of them failed anyway, as they would be a cavalry action where shock is more important that consistency anyway. I imagine that we could get something that could at least startle multiple soldiers immediately prior to cavalry engaging them.

I do not actually support the automatic pistol, but I will put my name on its list if it is needed for a tie-breaker.

Yes it's not that good of a design but it should be simpler than what you posted.
The wheel can be in line with the air flow and be free spinning so that air pushes it around and the tube magazine is spring loaded to push the next ball in to the wheel.

Yes we need some kind of vale control but a simple cam and rod linking the wheel to the valve trigger should do.

As for reloading the magazine, the magazine spring does not need to have much pressuriser.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2015, 06:52:01 pm »

Less need a tiebreaker and more need more need a few votes on something.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2015, 07:14:25 pm »

In order for that to work the ammunition would need to be in an air-tight container. Otherwise the wheel could spin in either direction.

And I am happy to have my vote distributed at random, all of these suggestions seem useful, none of them stand out...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2015, 07:46:49 pm »

In order for that to work the ammunition would need to be in an air-tight container. Otherwise the wheel could spin in either direction.
Spinning the wheel back wards would be almost imposable, there is a ratchet just like in the Victoria II, to stop it from spinning backwards.

+1 to the The X Cavalry Pistol.
And does anyone have a better name of it? the X was just a stand in.

Spoiler: The X Cavalry Pistol (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 23