Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 168

Author Topic: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.  (Read 300533 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Blurb on Games that probably don't deserve their own threads.
« Reply #1185 on: June 07, 2021, 03:56:51 pm »

We all love like Rimworld, right? Well, Going Medieval is the medieval mod for Rimworld, except it's own game, and in three dimensions. I bought it when it released into Early Accss on Steam the other day (you can also find it on our other favourite platforms). So far I like it a lot! Take notice though: The game is... Well, if it's not outright based on Rimworld then they have gone out of their way to recreate Rimworld as much as possible.

Basically, the premise is that instead of three people crashing into a Rimworld, you live in post-plagueocalyptic medieval England, and you're three people starting a new settlement to recreate civilisation in a desperate land or something. I haven't played very long with my colony village yet but I just received and event where an escaped prisoner seeks my help and protection against raiders an escaped prisoner is seeking my help and protection against a bunch of religious fanatics called "Third Coming":

Love, scriver~

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: June 07, 2021, 08:42:26 pm »

Been playing that one for the past couple days.

Spoiler: Some tips (click to show/hide)

AI might need a little work in regards to needs priority. During my first winter, more than one person got hypothermia, and decided that instead of running home to rest(and receive urgent medical care), they decided to pray... at an outdoor shrine as I hadn't build proper heated shrine rooms yet. Or one guy who decided that bottoming out on stamina is a perfect time to get drunk, followed by a game of backgammon.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: June 08, 2021, 10:03:22 am »

Noticed someone trying to create an open source clone of the old Close Combat serie :
https://github.com/buxx/Opencombat
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=11696

video of his current work :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxVgjBKXlIw

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: June 08, 2021, 11:43:04 am »

So, I decided to buy Insurmountable on a whim, a small indie game I'd been following for a while and that's just been released a few weeks ago, and why not post it here after all? So the premise is that some mysterious island full of mountains made up of hexagons(because they are bestagons?) just popped up and it's supposedly full of secrets and stuff(like why are the mountains made up of hexagons?) and you, as one madlad of a climber that you are, think "why not?".

You can choose between 3 backgrounds for your character, adventurer, scientist, and journalist, each with a distinct starting perk(with more unlockable as you progress in the game) and a set of starting equipment, as you explore the mountain you'll pick up new equipment, level up to obtain new perks, and all the standard RPG fanfare. After that you choose which mountain to tackle, and which route you'll follow, each route having attributes affecting terrain, weather, and overall spookiness you can expect to find during the climb.

With everything set up you're met with the game itself. Like I said, you're in a mountain made of hexagons(technically hexagonal prisms) of different heights, with a few trees and non-hexagonal boulders and rock-faces added both as obstacles and to make everything look less angular. You set up a couple of waypoints to trace a path and your character follows through it, usually consuming some resources in the process. The game's resources are health, energy, body warmth, oxygen, and sanity, and for the most part the game is a balancing act between them: you burn through energy as you walk, but gain a bit of body warmth(except when it's really cold, then you're screwed), but if you're forced to sleep out in the open you regain energy at the expense of warmth, this is the most obvious interaction, but there are many more. Having any resource other than health reach 0 does not spell your doom, but rather mean that you'll get spammed by events that slowly screw you over and drain your health.

Back to the mountain, you can of course make a beeline for the summit, but you'll probably die, and you'll miss out on events. Events are represented by a small token floating over a hex, and represent features like items left behind, abandoned(or not) camps, caves, shrines erected by the inhabitants of the island and etc. Once you interact with an event it's gone forever, so you have to ration them in some ways, like never visiting a cave or abandoned tent where you could possibly sleep safely when you are at full energy, not messing with abandoned stashes when your backpack is already full, etc. It's a nice layer of tactical thinking, but also a really gamey aspect on top of something I already find to be an already gamey abstraction.

Also, one last thing I hadn't mentioned yet is the camera. It's always stuck on your character. You can zoom in, zoom out, or rotate it, but never move it freely across the map. It's both annoying and ingenious. Sometimes you don't see an event until you walk right next to it, or you really have to get going into a possible route before you can get a clear picture of how viable it really is. I still wonder if there's a way to move it around that I don't know of, because even when it works for the game it's weird.

Overall, it's a cool little game, but I just don't feel immersed into the hiking/climbing experience. The hexagons, the event tokens, and the resource juggling just make me feel like I'm playing a really pretty board game, and I don't care much for the whole storyline involving spoopy stuff that took place in the mountains before the island's existence was made public either. I won't be refunding it because it's not bad and I can see it's a work of love by a small team, but I don't see myself playing it much in the future or recommending it also.

AI might need a little work in regards to needs priority. During my first winter, more than one person got hypothermia, and decided that instead of running home to rest(and receive urgent medical care), they decided to pray... at an outdoor shrine as I hadn't build proper heated shrine rooms yet. Or one guy who decided that bottoming out on stamina is a perfect time to get drunk, followed by a game of backgammon.

Tbf, both of those sound terribly like what some real people would do.

Yeah, I'm definitely adding that to my wishlist now.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 07:16:03 am by Uristides »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: June 10, 2021, 06:02:35 pm »

Anyone have strong opinions for/against the Irish-produced space 4x Predestination? Got it in the current (for another day, anyway) itch.io charity bundle, and went through the tutorial - it looks like a last-gen (or possibly gen-before-last-gen) space 4x, but some of its ideas seem interesting, and I was wondering if anyone else had substantial opinions before I sink time into it...

[Edit: went ahead and answered my own question. It's ambitious, but derivative and abbreviated, and they didn't put enough work into the UI. It would have felt clunky if it had been released contemporaneously with MOOII - now it feels gritty and shabby.]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 07:28:19 am by E. Albright »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: June 11, 2021, 05:13:26 pm »

I gave a try to Control, the freebie on the epic store of this week.

As i don't follow modern gaming these days, i never heard about it so i had no idea that Control was basically the poster child of Ray Tracing techniques

And to be honest i had to watch the video to see in what way ray tracing is supposed to look better than some of the non-ray tracing games i played and found to look as good and sometime even better than Control (while having at least many times the framerate of it), basically from what i saw in the video it's in the details of the details  ... that frankly i don't really notice while playing as reflections in reflections isn't something you usually notice unless you want to really pay attention (as different level of reflection of various surface is common in game of the last decades)

As expect from these kind of ray tracing technique, the game just ran horribly bad on my not-"strong gaming pc" :D

Fortunately, after turning everything to low , turning down the render resolution a lot and disabling what could be disabled, it surprised me more than it .. did not look that much worse (out of the obvious lower resolution) ? in fact it stil looks amazing , so don't worry about turning down stuff.

But the difference in framerate was like day and night and the game became very playable, so all good i guess.

After some minutes i was wondering if that game was all about what happens when developers work on some lsd trip with some nonsense internal monologue as a bonus, but fortunately after progressing more in the game that first negative impression goes away and you're stuck in some Men in Black + Doctor Who mix (without the jokes) facing some universe/reality warping invasion/infection major threat that impact everything and everyone around you, while being forced to work for unfathomable entities .
The transforming rooms when you manage to purify a sector are very impressive.

And when you start to learn new powers you get a lot of new ways to have fun (that floppy disk is awesome), until the first boss, Tommasi ... that annoying flying psycho infected bastard, the difficulty spike is big at that time when you're old and rusty like i am :D

There is of course a method to beat him, as there's a "tell" on when to attack him or the guys that come to help him (and that you use as a source of healing) , but today is not the day i beat that guy apparently as every single time i make a few steps i shouldn't do out of cover at the wrong time (and the worst is that i know i do that mistake) and get on the recieving end of his attack, and as he hits insanely hard , i get back to the latest purified control point a lot.

Anyways, Control is a lot more interesting than i thought at first during the first few minutes. Very well worth a play in this very weird world.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: June 11, 2021, 06:24:47 pm »

... Well, Going Medieval is the medieval mod for Rimworld, except it's own game, and in three dimensions.  ...
I've been playing Going Medieval the past few days, and it's quite good, imo.  It's not done, it's under active development, but it has a lot of systems that DF has.
Playing it like DF, there are only 4 Z levels, but you can do ~everything underground.  You can grow crops, mine out ores/materials, and live entirely underground.  The surface can have exactly one staircase descending, and that's it for surface structures.  It has clay, clay bricks, limestone, limestone bricks.  Stone furniture, wood furniture.  You can plant trees, and shrubs and harvest them later.  I haven't tried growing trees underground yet, but it's on the to-do list.  8)

In any case, these are my playthrough notes for version 0.5.28.4:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: June 12, 2021, 10:57:23 am »

Today there have been a major release of the open source freebie Veloren (a game that seems to be visually inspired by Cube World)
https://veloren.net/
https://github.com/veloren/veloren

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: June 13, 2021, 07:17:09 am »

The good Settlers 2 open source clone "Widelands" reached its first release candidate for the version 1.0 :
https://www.widelands.org/news/2021/Jun/8/widelands-1-0-release-candidate/

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: June 13, 2021, 09:21:42 am »

Been years since I played that one. That said, I did notice that announcement a few days ago, just haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

In mostly unrelated news(it popped up as a related search with Widelands), Unknown Horizons, an open-source early Anno games clone that I haven't played in years, has been chugging along for the past few years as well. Originally written in Python, they've been porting to the Godot engine for the last year.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: June 13, 2021, 11:47:33 am »

The good Settlers 2 open source clone "Widelands" reached its first release candidate for the version 1.0 :
https://www.widelands.org/news/2021/Jun/8/widelands-1-0-release-candidate/

Interesting. So how does it play? Is it basically settlers 2 or are there some considerable improvements/changes to the gameplay? Quick look on the webpage indicates there are three distinct factions, which seems nice...

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: June 13, 2021, 12:07:07 pm »

I gave a quick try to that 1.0rc1 of Wideland (window 10 smartscreen as usual with most open source installers do not like it, but it's safe to bypass it for this case) and it's very similar in gameplay to how i remembered it (last time i played it was in 2014) , but there are more civilizations now (in the middle of all the available civs, there's an Amazon one that is labelled experimental, not sure if it means this one is unfinished), more maps and a campaign.

Having been a long time player of Settlers 2 it was very easy to find my marks in Widelands after some menu quirks, as the gameplay is really closer to it than to any of the other Settlers games, there are some quality of life addition (like the progressive zoom with mousewheel)

But what i didn't remembered were the visuals (unless they changed a lot since 2014), on the map i played (i played a game 1vs1 with the AI on "Crater" they're a lot less clear than in my memories : the workers sprites are mixing with the background very badly so you have a hard time to see them at some zoom level, the roads aren't great either with that light green on green grass , maybe it's because i was trying the Amazon civ but after switching to the Empire (the Widelands version of Settlers 2 Romans) it was -much better, i guess that may be why Amazon is said experimental.

After extending my settlement a bit too much, i ran into the other civ and after the initial optimistic attack in which i took back a couple of my sentry post i had lost to the invaders

I got utterly crushed by waves of their attackers, should have build some military building instead of only sentry posts :D

edit : managed to make a come back and even capture some enemy sentry posts

Hmm, we're now at a stand still as we're both out of soldiers to send attacking, i'll have to improve my mining operations and weapon manufacturing (and all the industry to produce their required materials)  in order to train new soldiers at a barrack, so i can resume the invasion.
Hoping the enemy will not do it first.

Interesting to learn that Unknown Horizon is still going, i thought they had ceased development years ago of this very promising Anno-like game, i wonder what was the reason of such complete engine change ?
Hopefully they'll find some contributors as from what i read they are in need of additional developers for this Godot move, the game was really good and promising when i played it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 01:00:29 pm by Robsoie »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: June 13, 2021, 01:28:37 pm »

... Well, Going Medieval is the medieval mod for Rimworld, except it's own game, and in three dimensions.  ...
I've been playing Going Medieval the past few days, and it's quite good, imo.  It's not done, it's under active development, but it has a lot of systems that DF has.
Playing it like DF, there are only 4 Z levels, but you can do ~everything underground.  You can grow crops, mine out ores/materials, and live entirely underground.  The surface can have exactly one staircase descending, and that's it for surface structures.  It has clay, clay bricks, limestone, limestone bricks.  Stone furniture, wood furniture.  You can plant trees, and shrubs and harvest them later.  I haven't tried growing trees underground yet, but it's on the to-do list.  8)

In any case, these are my playthrough notes for version 0.5.28.4:

Sure, you can build underground, but that removes the best part of the game! You get to build your own castle!
Love, scriver~

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: June 13, 2021, 02:16:32 pm »

Today there have been a major release of the open source freebie Veloren (a game that seems to be visually inspired by Cube World)
https://veloren.net/
https://github.com/veloren/veloren
Had a chance to play that some in the past few days as well..
It has great potential, and by that I mean graphical performance is pretty amazing.   You can zoom out to planetary scale (literally) and it still sustains ~60fps on modest vulkan 1.1+ hardware. It's still in pre-alpha, and that's an actual accurate assessment, I think.
It's playable, but lacking in some major features, still.  Balance in the core game loops is still lacking.

The whole voxel tech approach does give it the possibility of being a multiplayer DF kind of game.  It has a SQL backed persistence layer, and is multiplayer into the 100+ range.  Commits are written to the db every 10 seconds.
It's written in Rust, so if you know that, you have a head start.  Worldgen is .. painfully complex at this point, but I will try to bend it to my will this week.  :-\
It has climbing, gliding, respawns of mobs, npcs, merchants, caves, dungeons, and an absolutely gigantic world/setting.  Nothing for tasks, quests, or missions, yet.
It seems like there's a ton of planned features (like building/housing, taming, quests, factions, etc) but none of that is implemented yet (that I can see/do).  They talk about taming like it's done, but the taming collars don't do anything in game, for me.
Documentation is sparse, but you can find some details by reading the source code, worst case.
There is a dedicated server which appears quite stable, you can run without centralized veloren.net auth if you want to, and manually delegate admins at the dedicated console interface.  Player tracking is done by username, with no passwords, under those conditions.  A single TCP port for forwarding is all that's required, so running your own server is very easy via any cloud provider. (even the free GCP compute instances).
There is grouping, up to configurable party size (6 by default) with healing, life taps, wards, ranged magic, bows, melee, 1h, 2h, all that.    But it's certainly playable solo/single-player, too, imo.
EDIT: Screenshot
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 02:20:44 pm by vjek »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: June 13, 2021, 03:37:49 pm »

The gliding is nice in Veloren, and unfortunately much needed :
You're always running fast in Veloren from what i tested (unless there's a "not sprinting" key i didn't found), and you're always spawning in a mountain for some reason. Now with the combination of your character running speed and being on a mountain, if you try to just go down the mountain by trying to just move from block to block below, your character will very soon enough fall down instead of following the blocks on the ground (your speed vector just get you out of the blocks very fast), and then die from falling from too high.

I played a bit the single player on the default world that ship with Veloren, after the amazement of it looking nice i quickly got into a fight with something i didn't identify.
The combat feels a bit clunky to me, unless i'm just too old now :D , but it seems everything is a bullet sponge, while you're not (as the thing i was fighting near the starting village took me down in a couple of hit). After respawn i was running after some group of deers on the mountain side below.
In order to get some leather or anything they drop and it took a lot of strikes to bring the animal down (and catching up to do), at least the deer didn't fought back so the only enemy here was the mountain slope.

When i used the glider to go down the mountain to the ground level, in a forest i was exploring i saw a tiger rather quickly, he attacked and one shot killed me.

I guess all of this is to give a reason to craft new equipment, it looks like the starting items are very weak.

Anyways, there's a lot of potential for greatness with Veloren, i hope they'll continue to develop it.

Edit : a note about Airshipper (the launcher that download and keep your Veloren up to date), if you want to find where the actual Veloren game files are, the launcher will install Velorenin your :
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\airshipper\
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 03:44:06 pm by Robsoie »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 168