Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 43

Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)  (Read 53856 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion Thread (spoilers, obviously)
« Reply #510 on: January 19, 2016, 05:43:27 pm »

It's an ancient design from the KOTOR era (the "scourge of malachor" is the phrase explicitly used). A non-junky one's gonna appear in the upcoming season of Rebels.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 19, 2016, 06:39:21 pm »

To be perfectly honest, you described why I hated the prequel saber fights. They threw away everything that made the saber fights in the original trilogy such pivotal scenes (the emotional intensity, the layers of meaning beneath the obvious physical conflict) in favor of flashy choreographed dances made to appeal to the sort of people who thought that Obi-Wan fighting Vader on the Death Star was stupid and boring. The Episode I fight was soulless and empty throughout except for that very brief moment where Obi-Wan was trapped in the rotating doors of plot convenience after Qui-Gon died.

Even in Return of the Jedi, when Luke had grown measurably as a man, a duelist, and a Force-user, his fight with Vader had almost nothing to do with OMG SWISH FWEEEEW BZZZZ.

So no. Fuck that. Thank all the gods above and below that Abrams and his people didn't buy into that stupid bullshit.

--

Also it's apparently canon that Kylo Ren's saber has the crossguard to vent excess energy because the focus crystal he used was flawed and would blow up in his hands if it was just the standard blade. So even the stupid gimmicky saber at least reflects its owner instead of being LOL SO TACTICOOL and nothing else.

Not saying that the fights in Episode 1 were great as storytelling devices.  I won't disagree with an argument on that point.  Although I linked that fight scene from the Clone Wars mini-series as back-up for my opinion that you can have both ways.

My point is that if we're going to nitpick the theory behind design decisions such as a lightsaber crossguard on the basis of practicality, that the discussion is then open to other more glaring issues, and the fighting styles portrayed would top my list.  They just don't appear practical, and it strains my ability to see the characters involved as being pivotal to the fate of the galaxy, when they fail to use a basic tool in a way that makes sense.  And yes, I understand that they're very dangerous and would require extreme training to learn to use at a high level, but it would still appear common sense not to try and whack someone with huge forceful arm movements when it's universally understood that any contact at all from one of these things can easily end a fight.

Also, the original trilogy had good excuses for the fights being slower.  Vader was basically old and crippled.  He could still hold his own due to being a hardcore veteran warrior with incredible force power.  And his opponents, Luke and Obi-Wan (even older), never had any intention to actually try and kill him whenever they fought.  Their fights literally were emotional clashes more than actual combats.

Finn, Rey, and Kylo?... can't find so much in the way of excuses for these guys to fight the way they did.  As a storytelling device, yeah, it was great.  But as a practical matter, Rey taking like a full 1.5 seconds to draw her elbows back all the way before making a ridiculously forecasted fully-extended thrust without any footwork and landing it against a guy we're supposed to believe has actual training with a lightsaber is far more problematic than whether a crossguard on a lightsaber makes good design sense.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 19, 2016, 09:31:58 pm »

To be perfectly honest, you described why I hated the prequel saber fights. They threw away everything that made the saber fights in the original trilogy such pivotal scenes (the emotional intensity, the layers of meaning beneath the obvious physical conflict) in favor of flashy choreographed dances made to appeal to the sort of people who thought that Obi-Wan fighting Vader on the Death Star was stupid and boring. The Episode I fight was soulless and empty throughout except for that very brief moment where Obi-Wan was trapped in the rotating doors of plot convenience after Qui-Gon died.

Even in Return of the Jedi, when Luke had grown measurably as a man, a duelist, and a Force-user, his fight with Vader had almost nothing to do with OMG SWISH FWEEEEW BZZZZ.

So no. Fuck that. Thank all the gods above and below that Abrams and his people didn't buy into that stupid bullshit.

--

Also it's apparently canon that Kylo Ren's saber has the crossguard to vent excess energy because the focus crystal he used was flawed and would blow up in his hands if it was just the standard blade. So even the stupid gimmicky saber at least reflects its owner instead of being LOL SO TACTICOOL and nothing else.

Not saying that the fights in Episode 1 were great as storytelling devices.  I won't disagree with an argument on that point.  Although I linked that fight scene from the Clone Wars mini-series as back-up for my opinion that you can have both ways.

My point is that if we're going to nitpick the theory behind design decisions such as a lightsaber crossguard on the basis of practicality, that the discussion is then open to other more glaring issues, and the fighting styles portrayed would top my list.  They just don't appear practical, and it strains my ability to see the characters involved as being pivotal to the fate of the galaxy, when they fail to use a basic tool in a way that makes sense.  And yes, I understand that they're very dangerous and would require extreme training to learn to use at a high level, but it would still appear common sense not to try and whack someone with huge forceful arm movements when it's universally understood that any contact at all from one of these things can easily end a fight.

Also, the original trilogy had good excuses for the fights being slower.  Vader was basically old and crippled.  He could still hold his own due to being a hardcore veteran warrior with incredible force power.  And his opponents, Luke and Obi-Wan (even older), never had any intention to actually try and kill him whenever they fought.  Their fights literally were emotional clashes more than actual combats.

Finn, Rey, and Kylo?... can't find so much in the way of excuses for these guys to fight the way they did.  As a storytelling device, yeah, it was great.  But as a practical matter, Rey taking like a full 1.5 seconds to draw her elbows back all the way before making a ridiculously forecasted fully-extended thrust without any footwork and landing it against a guy we're supposed to believe has actual training with a lightsaber is far more problematic than whether a crossguard on a lightsaber makes good design sense.

Reposting because it's been conveniently ignored.
I don't know, looking at it from that perspective, actually, since a light saber is all 'edge' and an effectively 'infinitely sharp' one at that, you can hold it any way you want.

On that note, the functionality of a crossguard is minor compared to the way lightsaber fighting styles are portrayed through all the movies in general.  All these wide sweeping motions and dramatic clashing of blades.  But you're not going to sunder a lightsaber, and brute forcing your way through someone's defenses with a weapon that has no mass is rather silly.  Lightsaber fighting should be full of deception and quick wrist motions.  You don't need power behind your strikes.  You just need to make contact.

The one thing that Episode 1 did better than most movies is the lightsaber battles struck the best balance so far on realistic and entertaining lightsaber combat.  It still had the flashy dance-like quality that audiences expect, and is satisfying to watch.  But I also think it made much more effort at the same time to portray a lightest-touch approach.  They're much more likely to sweep with their wrists instead of their entire arms to dispatch a droid than in any other Star Wars film, and saber contact in the fights with Darth Maul look more about very rapid strikes and parries while trying to find a weakness and make contact, instead of forceful clashing.  Maul seemed like he took advantage of his weapon to more quickly strike from different angles, and keep his opponent on the defensive - not the flashy gimmick I've seen some people claim.

I actually wrote a paper on this. It is my belief that the duel between Darth Maul and Qui-Gonn/Kenobi represents the peak of the Jedi, the Sith, and the Force. It's the metaphorical and literal passing of the ages. It's the best of Jedi and Sith in terms of technique (that can be visually obtained from the movies in any case) and though there are both force-users with more finesse (Count Dooku) or with more strength (Darth Vader) later on, none really match the intensity and weight of the Episode I duel. (I also really enjoy Episode I, all Jar-Jars aside.)

I don't know, looking at it from that perspective, actually, since a light saber is all 'edge' and an effectively 'infinitely sharp' one at that, you can hold it any way you want.

I mean, the design of it would still be a bitch for the amount of gain you would actually get, and just having an electro thing as the cross guard would make more sense, and being able to turn it on and off mid battle would probably be the best way to go about it, but whatever.

There is a noted style of lightsaber combat which involves temporarily switching the blade off to pass through an opponent's defense.

You know, I take back everything I ever said about the stupidity of Kylo Ren's lightsaber design. It makes a hell of a lot of sense in the context of old-style SW saber-shoving; an opponent who tried to lop off one of the crossguards from a saber lock would die even if they managed to take some fingers with them, and in the meantime it lets him play games like he did poking Finn's shoulder.
But the impairment of motion the crossguard adds evens that advantage out, it is nearly literally comparing a rapier and a longsword.

Another thing. It's been described multiple times--my favorite in KOTOR II--about how incredibly nimble force-users' fine motor skills are. What point is there in comparing any blade, when a Jedi or a Sith can wield a Longsword to the same effect as a Rapier and vice versa? Force Users are so incredibly fast and, if trained, so well able to predict an opponent's next move that it's almost irrelevant.

Vader wasn't really old or crippled, in fact, in direction contention with you argument he is actually one of the best saber-users in the galaxy. He lost a considerable amount of force power after losing his remaining limbs and instead rededicated himself to adapting to a new style.

I start with that because the most intense saber-use we see is in the duels. No particularly good saber-user vs. non-saber-user fights are really depicted all that well in the movies while in the lore there are many elite units and individuals capable of fighting Jedi or Sith to a standstill. Most notably, the Mandalorians.

The most glaring fault I see is in Finn's fighting style. It's amateur, when he is a trained professional. TR-8R, Mr. Whappity is a huge goofball too. For Rey it makes a little more sense, she's not exactly trained--and while she's proficient in her homebrewed self-defense style, how would you feel fighting a master of a weapon you have never wielded, let alone heard of before with his own weapon? Probably rather scared and jumpy. Also, people are fucking wounded, hurt, mad, and scared. It's easy to get disoriented and sloppy in a fight. (Source: Fencing.) Go watch The Duellists, which is arguably one of the most accurate representations of sword combat ever filmed. When you're exhausted you just can't move fast.

As far as the Episode I duel in the context of storytelling, I would say that it is just as well done as any in the original trilogy. The difference being it's meaning is mostly metaphorical about events we don't really get to see in entirety, whereas the originals were very literal and character-driven. I enjoy the Episode I duel more because it says a lot more about Star Wars as a whole than any of the other duels do.

+2 cents

Peace out.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 19, 2016, 09:58:40 pm »

Vader wasn't really old or crippled, in fact, in direction contention with you argument he is actually one of the best saber-users in the galaxy. He lost a considerable amount of force power after losing his remaining limbs and instead rededicated himself to adapting to a new style.

No doubt Anakin/Vader is top elite with a lightsaber.  It's made quite clear that in his Jedi days, he was the hottest shit around.  But in the OT, it doesn't even seem like he has much range of motion.  He's stiff and slow.  Probably can't exert himself too much, either, considering he needs assistance breathing.  He's covered in burn scars and held together with electronics and duct tape, all hidden inside a fancy polished costume.  He's still dangerous, just because he's so damn experienced.  He doesn't need to be super athletic anymore.  He's fought so many opponents many times more formidable than Luke that no amount of handicap could make that difficult for him.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 10:01:16 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 19, 2016, 10:09:19 pm »

I actually kinda figured that most of the practical and theoretical knowledge of lightsaber fighting (and techniques for using the Force) had literally been lost. Yoda didn't pass on much in the way of saber techniques to Luke if I remember right, and with Obi-wan. Vader, and Palpatine all dead there may well not be a single person left who was trained during the old Republic when that knowledge and people skilled enough to teach it were both readily available. Snoke might, but even if he does we knew already that Kylo Ren is still relatively untrained and wouldn't have learned a lot of that yet. Swords do exist, and some people are probably skilled with them, but as people here have already noted the techniques you use with a sword and with a lightsaber don't overlap very well.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 19, 2016, 10:21:22 pm »

One thing I always thought was weird was people complaining about the prequel fights being the combatants dancing around until one of them loses a limb. Why wouldn't it be like that? These are guys with weightless swords that have foreknowledge of the future. If they fight, I'd imagine it'd be hundreds or thousands of blocked blows before a sudden finish, because the moment one of them connects the fight's over.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 19, 2016, 10:28:22 pm »

One thing I always thought was weird was people complaining about the prequel fights being the combatants dancing around until one of them loses a limb. Why wouldn't it be like that? These are guys with weightless swords that have foreknowledge of the future. If they fight, I'd imagine it'd be hundreds or thousands of blocked blows before a sudden finish, because the moment one of them connects the fight's over.

I agree with this.

No doubt Anakin/Vader is top elite with a lightsaber.  It's made quite clear that in his Jedi days, he was the hottest shit around.  But in the OT, it doesn't even seem like he has much range of motion.  He's stiff and slow.  Probably can't exert himself too much, either, considering he needs assistance breathing.  He's covered in burn scars and held together with electronics and duct tape, all hidden inside a fancy polished costume.  He's still dangerous, just because he's so damn experienced.  He doesn't need to be super athletic anymore.  He's fought so many opponents many times more formidable than Luke that no amount of handicap could make that difficult for him.
That sounds about right, but I also like to pile on the fact that he's got to be crazy good with his blade to essentially parry everything that's thrown at him without so much as a step back. That's what I meant by new style, instead of being crazy avant garde and agile he just tired people out, drew them in, and attacked with strikes so quick and heavy that no normal Jedi could counter them.

I actually kinda figured that most of the practical and theoretical knowledge of lightsaber fighting (and techniques for using the Force) had literally been lost. Yoda didn't pass on much in the way of saber techniques to Luke if I remember right, and with Obi-wan. Vader, and Palpatine all dead there may well not be a single person left who was trained during the old Republic when that knowledge and people skilled enough to teach it were both readily available. Snoke might, but even if he does we knew already that Kylo Ren is still relatively untrained and wouldn't have learned a lot of that yet. Swords do exist, and some people are probably skilled with them, but as people here have already noted the techniques you use with a sword and with a lightsaber don't overlap very well.
That's a good point!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 19, 2016, 10:30:26 pm »

I agree with this.

Exactly the point I was trying to make, also.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 19, 2016, 10:40:00 pm »

Hell, it even explains why Yoda's such a bitch to fight - motherfucker's jumping about like a frog on precog crack, you can't hit him because he blocks every strike you throw at him before you even think of throwing it, and if any of his shankings, which are mostly gonna be around your legs where it's hard to defend, hit you you'll either be writhing around in pain from the cauterized scar on your leg or you'll be legless. Either way, you get hit you're dead in the next half-second at most.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 19, 2016, 11:11:38 pm »

A veritable green tornado of plasma-y doom, Yoda is.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:17:41 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 19, 2016, 11:17:19 pm »

i love how quickly people have taken to calling him "Sheev"

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 19, 2016, 11:17:59 pm »

[PURGED]
What even...  Your formatting is weak.
Quiet, I was fixing that when you posted :V
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:19:43 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 20, 2016, 01:23:46 am »

I really hope Rey ends up with a double-sided lightsaber.

Also to some extent a yellow one, which for some reason was what I thought she would end up with basically from the beginning, and was sad when I saw it was just Luke's. She'll need one of her one now, after all...

Might come from too much KotOR 1&2 though.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 43