Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we do for the language_words (We can use custom symbols)?

Keep the vanilla ones
Use an expanded vocabularly
Start entirely from scratch
Cull the words that don't make sense from vanilla, then add words as we go
Other(post it in the comments)

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42

Author Topic: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession  (Read 65538 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession
« Reply #420 on: January 24, 2016, 01:57:22 pm »

Whatever the problem was, deleting and replacing color.txt seems to have fixed it. I must've accidentally something or other when I was poking around in there.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 24, 2016, 01:58:41 pm »

So, something in the colors.txt file was off?

Edit: Baffler, I possess new files for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqijj9i2bho62tt/DFFS3.zip?dl=0

Changes:
 Implemented Cer's changes
Gem and Soil templates
Fixed pain values and tissue thicknesses
New crystalline and gaseous tissues for my extradimensional race.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:06:13 pm by Urdothor »

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 24, 2016, 02:12:25 pm »

Nice, I'll put those in right away. And if there was something wrong with color.txt, it's something I did to it. Replacing it with the one from the .zip fixed the problem completely.

I've also noticed what's probably a DF bug where the game crashes if you bring the cursor over an ocean tile. It seems like a weird problem to have, but I'm certain that's what's going on.
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 24, 2016, 02:14:11 pm »

Nice, I'll put those in right away. And if there was something wrong with color.txt, it's something I did to it. Replacing it with the one from the .zip fixed the problem completely.

I've also noticed what's probably a DF bug where the game crashes if you bring the cursor over an ocean tile. It seems like a weird problem to have, but I'm certain that's what's going on.

OOOOOOH!!!! I KNOW WHAT THAT PROBLEM IS!
There's not enough sand and rock to generate an ocean floor. There's literally no ocean bottom which is why it's crashing. It happened on the first one. I can fix it.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 24, 2016, 02:15:47 pm »

Can I request a modding turn again, by the way?
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 24, 2016, 02:16:27 pm »

Can I request a modding turn again, by the way?

I totally meant to put you up again. Sorry. I got side tracked. 1 moment.
Edit: Check it now.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:18:11 pm by Urdothor »

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 24, 2016, 02:21:43 pm »

Thanks. Though now that I think about it, having a modding turn just means you gotta bugfix and test stuff. I mean, we can all post stuff even if it's not our turn.
My anaconda man don't want none unless you got 5,000 cm3 of [SELECT_BP:LOWER_BODY:REAR][SELECT_ADDITIONAL_BP:UPPER_LEGS:REAR] hun.

Civilian squads: a suggestion regarding Dwarf Therapist, maintaining stock levels, independent workshop-usage and the military screen.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 24, 2016, 02:23:39 pm »

Thanks. Though now that I think about it, having a modding turn just means you gotta bugfix and test stuff. I mean, we can all post stuff even if it's not our turn.

I think of it as a contribution outside your turn has to be a minor thing, like a creature or plant, where-as if you plan to mod the entire oceanic ecosystem or an entity, you have to take a turn. It also makes sure the files have an owner and it keeps moving and working.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 24, 2016, 02:26:12 pm »

OOOOOOH!!!! I KNOW WHAT THAT PROBLEM IS!
There's not enough sand and rock to generate an ocean floor. There's literally no ocean bottom which is why it's crashing. It happened on the first one. I can fix it.

I can get that easy enough, but that's good to know.

I think of it as a contribution outside your turn has to be a minor thing, like a creature or plant, where-as if you plan to mod the entire oceanic ecosystem or an entity, you have to take a turn. It also makes sure the files have an owner and it keeps moving and working.

Along this vein though, I'd like to encourage people who've submitted entities to post more things for them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 02:29:14 pm by Baffler »

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 24, 2016, 02:30:40 pm »

Ah, I suppose. Yeah, entities would require a modding turn, indeed.
A real shame, but oh well.

Along this vein though, I'd like to encourage people who've submitted entities to post more things for them. It makes them a lot more interesting, but I wouldn't really feel right fiddling with them myself and making a really complete entity with a unique feel is difficult to do in just a week.
This, too. A week could be enough to get your entity started, I guess, but other than that, not much.

Oh, by the way, should we start modding the language files? I'm willing to do language_SYM and the language_words files if you all post words that we should keep from vanilla / implement.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 24, 2016, 02:32:26 pm »

Once we have more soil and rock it'll all be fine.
Has anyone seen any more strobe deserts?  ???

I've actually been working on my entity out-of-turn so that my turn is more of a bugfix-er than anything. Also, because until everyone else is more fleshed out... it's probably going to wreck all the everything during world gen. Crystalline skin, large hordes, interactions to "summon" others from the void. The only thing saving everyone is that the lesser castes can only stay grounded to this plane(alive) for a year-ish.

Oh, by the way, should we start modding the language files? I'm willing to do language_SYM and the language_words files if you all post words that we should keep from vanilla / implement.

I am not fond of taking on this project, but... I probably should.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 24, 2016, 02:37:10 pm »

Eh, it's just roughly 3300 words, at least going by the row count in language_sym, you'll be fine. ;D

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 24, 2016, 02:38:25 pm »

There's actually a utility we can use for the actual words, called DFLangCreate, by Talvieno. I can't find the thread for some reason, but you give it a few sample words and it'll fill out the rest for you with words that sound sort of like your samples. It's really quite impressive, though I can understand a more purist approach.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 24, 2016, 02:41:51 pm »

Eh, it's just roughly 3300 words, at least going by the row count in language_sym, you'll be fine. ;D

Yes, but I have 2 entities I want to add, graphics, a plethora of creatures, and everything all that entails to do. And that's just for this thread. Then there's "The City" thread, stuff for other games, and school. Bah.
It shall be done! A dwarfs work is never complete!...
Unless it's break time.

There's actually a utility we can use for the actual words, called DFLangCreate, by Talvieno. I can't find the thread for some reason, but you give it a few sample words and it'll fill out the rest for you with words that sound sort of like your samples. It's really quite impressive, though I can understand a more purist approach.

Our actual issue is removing the nonsense words from vanilla.

Cerapter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 24, 2016, 02:45:44 pm »

Yes, but I have 2 entities I want to add, graphics, a plethora of creatures, and everything all that entails to do. And that's just for this thread. Then there's "The City" thread, stuff for other games, and school. Bah.
I did say I'd do it, you don't have to!
I'll be filtering out stuff like "abatement", that really should have no place in names, or stuff like "rabbit", because what's a rabbit.
On request, I'll also add some words if you guys want to.

Also, should we have a unified language_english for now, like the other two had before languages were implemented?

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 42