Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we do for the language_words (We can use custom symbols)?

Keep the vanilla ones
Use an expanded vocabularly
Start entirely from scratch
Cull the words that don't make sense from vanilla, then add words as we go
Other(post it in the comments)

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 42

Author Topic: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession  (Read 62600 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: DF from Scratch Redux - An entirely player made universe succession
« Reply #540 on: February 02, 2016, 07:24:37 pm »

Mantises aren't actually too difficult to find, they just tend to hide in trees is all. If you want to find them, you must look up.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 02, 2016, 07:35:06 pm »

Mantises aren't actually too difficult to find, they just tend to hide in trees is all. If you want to find them, you must look up.
See, if I look up, they know I know they're there, and if they know I know that they're there, then they have to kill me because I know they know I know they're there, ya know?

Edit: In other words, looking up tends to be a bad idea.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:22:38 pm by Urdothor »

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 02, 2016, 09:09:16 pm »

I've only played as a mantis anyway, so they seem to ignore me, but oh well.

Irrelevent sidenote: An entity that doesn't need to breathe, and has no problem hanging around in lava, would be interesting for adventuring. The we could walk the bottom of the ocean :P

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 02, 2016, 09:36:12 pm »

I've only played as a mantis anyway, so they seem to ignore me, but oh well.

Irrelevent sidenote: An entity that doesn't need to breathe, and has no problem hanging around in lava, would be interesting for adventuring. The we could walk the bottom of the ocean :P
That's possible as a vampire, in Vanilla. The main obstacle is lag.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 02, 2016, 09:44:37 pm »

If I get time to finish my entity, I'm going to start working on some regular creatures that will make the oceans remarkable less fun.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 03, 2016, 12:32:36 am »

I'm considering a creature for the underground that's an infinitely spawning fungi thing using the whole morph-lose limb-reanimate-transform system. They would spawn little sporeling things, instead of exact replicas, so you could tell which was the original and cull it. What do you all think?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 03, 2016, 12:37:09 am »

Sounds like a decent idea, so long as they've got some kind of population control for performance reasons. Maybe a greeting interaction could disable it. That way all a player who wants to farm them is separate them, but wild populations don't crowd out everything else.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 03, 2016, 12:38:46 am »

Maybe. Or some kind of 1 time syndrome that lets them spawn, and they can't repeat it in their lifetime, or something of that nature.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 03, 2016, 01:41:17 am »

How about an automatic, self-targeting interaction, that, for a brief period, gives the creature a time-delayed syndrome which removes the "limbs" and gives it the ability to use an interaction which in turn can create the sporelings?
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 04, 2016, 12:13:25 am »

So, I'm working on my extradimensional entity (The one that's going to make everyone hate me), and I'm having trouble coming up with a few ideas.

So, as they're from between dimensions they aren't supposed to quite follow conventional physics. Which is why a lot of their body work is different, they're made of gem and gas, their body structure is odd, etc. I want them to have some other effects that show they kind of warp reality, so I'm trying to come up with some kind of effect/syndrome to place on other creatures, i.e. transformation, etc. that shows they've been warped.

Any ideas?

Also, going to do a bit of a "weather" arc.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 04, 2016, 05:52:11 am »

You've already heard this, but liberal usage of CE_FLASH_TILE :D. It makes the player feel as if the game is glitching, specially if you're the OCD sort (waaaaaaa symbols everywhere).

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 04, 2016, 12:21:18 pm »

You've already heard this, but liberal usage of CE_FLASH_TILE :D. It makes the player feel as if the game is glitching, specially if you're the OCD sort (waaaaaaa symbols everywhere).

I like this idea. It isn't for the reason, but it makes them just as repulsive to the player as they are to the locals. If they're going to be playable, that probably isn't an ideal solution.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 04, 2016, 07:12:27 pm »

I don't think they're supposed to be playable. Also, we could purposely use the rainbow desert thing, just to make them a little more annoying.

Urdothor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 04, 2016, 07:16:57 pm »

They aren't meant to be playable. They're meant to be a thing of terror. Which is why they're going to be pink.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 05, 2016, 04:55:04 am »

It is terrifying indeed.

Atm I'm working on a clay race - essentially multiple castes of the same creature, each caste having their own strengths. Chief amongst these are the Shapers, who will be able to reshape (resurrect) dead members into different castes. They will also have access to better pottery reactions and equipment; perhaps either using less fuel or having an easier method to create fuel.

The castes will be as follows:

• Dolls - Small & weak, but agile. May be more skilled in crafting and such.
  • Porters - Fast and able to carry loads, but quite fragile in combat. Designated haulers.
  • Barrows - Short, yet hardy and resilient. They do move quite slow though. (Remind you of someone?)
  • Knights - Tall and fast skirmish units. Exceedingly fragile nonetheless.
  • Golems - Large & resistant to damage. Don't count on their clumsy attacks and movement though.
  • Slayers - Whirling mass of serrated limbs, with sharp dangerous attacks. These are glass cannons, and they don't move very fast.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 42