Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008731 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related news thread
« Reply #1350 on: March 23, 2016, 07:58:37 pm »

So, since this at least pertains to Europe... How do you guys feel about the looming extinction of the ash tree?

I didn't know ash borers were a problem in Europe. They're all over the Eastern US, my own Ohio is one of the states under a quarantine of certain products to limit their spread. Apparently they've released some parasitic wasps that only feed on the beetles to control their numbers, but it's too recent to have seen much effect. European governments are considering the same, but none seem to've gone through with it yet.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 23, 2016, 08:03:44 pm »

So, since this at least pertains to Europe... How do you guys feel about the looming extinction of the ash tree?

Well, the European one anyway. Although it might only become regionally extinct as the tree is cultivated elsewhere: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraxinus_excelsior Don't know what's causing the massive dieback of the tree though.

I didn't know ash borers were a problem in Europe. They're all over the Eastern US, my own Ohio is one of the states under a quarantine of certain products to limit their spread. Apparently they've released some parasitic wasps that only feed on the beetles to control their numbers, but it's too recent to have seen much effect. European governments are considering the same, but none seem to've gone through with it yet.

The problem in Europe isn't an insect, it's a fungus.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: March 23, 2016, 08:12:20 pm »

The problem in Europe isn't an insect, it's a fungus.

The problem is two-fold. Eradicating one but not the other only buys them time.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 24, 2016, 01:15:33 am »

So much hatred in that last page. Kind of surprising.
People do tend to get rather upset about deadly terrorist attacks.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: March 24, 2016, 01:53:22 am »

I am pretty upset too. I'd like to see those terrorists hand by the balls, if those weren't currently a fine paste all over Zaventem airport. That doesn't make me want to genocide the population those guys are from.

Oh, we got a message from Best Korea.

Quote from: KCNA
   It reiterated the DPRK government's invariable stand of opposing all forms of terrorism and expressed hope that Belgium will eradicate the tragic consequences of the recent incident as early as possible and regain stability.

Exterminate all consequences!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 02:12:50 am by Sheb »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 24, 2016, 03:45:44 am »

Loudwhispers is in his LoudPolitics phase again. I miss the exhaustiy researched mega posts over the chanting of "GUAC GUAC BELGIAN TERRORIST = REFUGEE ".

( If you want to shit on the Brussels, shit on the fact that one of these guys was extradited from Turkey after being arrested for terrorism charges)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: March 24, 2016, 05:04:17 am »

Salem Abdeslam, who until yesterday strongly opposed being extradited to France, and offered to provide intel in exchange for information, has changed his mind.
He now wants to be extradited to France as soon as possible, and refuses to say anything anymore.
I guess Belgians are very proficient torturers.

His lawyer was attacked physically by a Belgian citizen at his office, for defending Abdeslam. He managed to overtake his assailant himself, but has cloed his office now, to 'protect his collegues and employees'.

That's terrorism too, attacking lawyers.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 24, 2016, 05:51:38 am »

Salem Abdeslam, who until yesterday strongly opposed being extradited to France, and offered to provide intel in exchange for information, has changed his mind.
He now wants to be extradited to France as soon as possible, and refuses to say anything anymore.
I guess Belgians are very proficient torturers.

His lawyer was attacked physically by a Belgian citizen at his office, for defending Abdeslam. He managed to overtake his assailant himself, but has cloed his office now, to 'protect his collegues and employees'.

That's terrorism too, attacking lawyers.

I think he had information about the Brussel attacks and either wanted to play for time or he genuinely hoped that giving information about the attacks would lead to a less severe punishment for himself.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: March 24, 2016, 07:07:45 am »

Chairman of the Belgian Court of Justice, Luc Hennart, has decided to close down the civil court's building, after the staff of civil and peace courts went on strike earlier today, because they don't feel there's enough security measures in place to make them feel safe at work. One more point for the terrorists, I guess.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: March 24, 2016, 07:12:02 am »

It should be noted that France, unlike Belgium, got a legal framework for "repenters", to lessen charges in exchange for cooperation. I don't think it applies in terrorists case after successful attacks, but he might be trying anyway.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: March 24, 2016, 07:13:06 am »

I always thought it was weird to feel insecure about terrorist attacks right after a terrorist attack... I mean, it takes a great deal of preparation to get these things done, and you can't reuse resources. One boom, and all the surviving operatives are being hunted by the police and unable to perform anything anymore. Figures that they make multiple attacks simultaneously instead of spreading it through the week.
In a time before time, I had a name.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: March 24, 2016, 07:24:41 am »

Jan Jambon, the vice-premier of Belgium offered his resignation to the prime minister yesterday, but it was refused, since the government does not want instability in times of terror.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: March 24, 2016, 07:27:08 am »

I always thought it was weird to feel insecure about terrorist attacks right after a terrorist attack... I mean, it takes a great deal of preparation to get these things done, and you can't reuse resources. One boom, and all the surviving operatives are being hunted by the police and unable to perform anything anymore. Figures that they make multiple attacks simultaneously instead of spreading it through the week.

Well, this still happened only a few days after Daesh attacks in Egypt and Ankara, so they're clustered in terms of timespan. I would hope there isn't any more, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect another attack somewhere. Maybe not Belgium though.

Jan Jambon, the vice-premier of Belgium offered his resignation to the prime minister yesterday, but it was refused, since the government does not want instability in times of terror.
What exactly is the vice-premier in charge of politically speaking?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: March 24, 2016, 07:32:43 am »

He is also interior ministers. Vice-priceministership are mostly status thing we give as part of the horse-trading necessary to form a government. Koen Geens, the Justice Minister also offered his resignation but was kept.

Magistrum: Suspects on the run are liable to make themselves blow up before being taken (not unlike what happened here).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 07:38:16 am by Sheb »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: March 24, 2016, 07:54:59 am »

I was referring to the scope of a country. It is expected to have attacks in another country, but those are planned and performed in parallel for all we know.
Magistrum: Suspects on the run are liable to make themselves blow up before being taken (not unlike what happened here).
I highly doubt it... Even now, a survivor from the Paris terror cell just went on to perform another attack instead of simply dying the fastest possible. Weird that they would put a bomb-maker to be suicide bomber tough... Seems like a waste of resources. They must really have been running out of operatives in the country.
In a time before time, I had a name.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 793