Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1001954 times)

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #2865 on: July 15, 2016, 04:12:16 pm »

I dunno. He apparently left the country already.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: July 15, 2016, 04:12:50 pm »

This is turkey's hot season. if you planned a vacation in Turkey in July/August and haven't cancelled yet, you are a brave man. Tourism will be reduced no matter the outcome.

Investors prefer a stable country over a moral country and Turkey just became unstable.

If the coup is successful, Erdogan Islamists will wage an insurgency. if it's not, deserting army personnel would flock to the kurds for their insurgency. the times are different now, the secularism that the military promotes are not as popular within the population as it used to be.

Check again the coups that happened in turkey, some resulted in the reduction of civil liberty.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: July 15, 2016, 04:16:33 pm »

Investors prefer a stable country over a moral country and Turkey just became unstable.
Not nescessarily. Turkey was pretty unstable as is. War with PKK intensified, secularism declining, a president who wants to completely re-write the constitution...
TBH I think there's quite a few investors who'll think "it's about damn time that coup happened"
I dunno. He apparently left the country already.
He didn't leave, he was absent, busy at an international summit. He has withdrawn from the summit now, and has been "taken to safety"
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 04:20:37 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: July 15, 2016, 04:35:15 pm »

Yes, they probably do think it, but will they invest their money now? reason says they would wait out to see the longer term outcome of this coup but in the mean time, withhold their investments.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: July 15, 2016, 04:37:53 pm »

The tl;dr is that this has all happened before, and could happen again. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Turkey#Military_involvement_in_politics

The Military is considered defenders of the constitution/democaracy/secularisim/Kemalism

Edrogan fucked up by subverting this and is getting removed.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: July 15, 2016, 04:38:55 pm »

He didn't leave, he was absent, busy at an international summit. He has withdrawn from the summit now, and has been "taken to safety"

Yes he did! Now seeking asulym... in Germany! Game over for him and AKP!

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: July 15, 2016, 04:39:41 pm »

Yes, they probably do think it, but will they invest their money now? reason says they would wait out to see the longer term outcome of this coup but in the mean time, withhold their investments.

Markets don't like uncertainty. No new money for a bit, probably.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: July 15, 2016, 04:46:58 pm »

"Sorry mister Erdogan, to apply for a refugee status you will first need to go and register yourself in a Turkish refugee camp"

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: July 15, 2016, 04:50:13 pm »

Will they send a Syrian refugee back to Turkey in exchange for Erdogan? by the last deal they are supposed to...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: July 15, 2016, 04:55:28 pm »

Will they send a Syrian refugee back to Turkey in exchange for Erdogan? by the last deal they are supposed to...

No we need a Syrian president for that. If Erdogan can arrange for Assad to wash ashore on a Greek island, he can come to Europe in exchange for Assad.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2875 on: July 15, 2016, 05:25:56 pm »

As if the Bataclan massacre wasn't bad enough. http://heatst.com/uk/exclusive-france-suppressed-news-of-gruesome-torture-at-bataclan-massacre/
Prosecutor: I specify, for the sake of clarity: some of the bodies found at the Bataclan were extremely mutilated by the explosions and weapons, to the point that it was sometimes difficult to reconstruct the dismembered bodies. In other words, injuries described this father may also have been caused by automatic weapons, by explosions or projections of nails and bolts that have resulted.

Q. Would those have put a man’s balls in in his own mouth?

Prosecutor: I do not have that information.
What a sad state

A glimpse into the minds and motivations behind attacks like the ones in Nice.
https://twitter.com/EnziFalah/status/754044694703828992
I think Nasrallah got it all wrong. the "Westerner" will never understand this idea, since he can't truly grasp that these people actually believe in this idea.
It is peculiar how the majority of political science in regards to why people die for what they believe in is done by secularists

Sometimes they do
Do you honestly think a military uprising and takeover in fucking Turkey will lead to an enlightened secular democracy?
The Turkish military has normally been a moderating, secularist and democratic influence upon Turkish politics, its recent state of non-interference has been somewhat anomalous in that regard and allowed Erdogan to rise to great power
My guess is the Turkish military are taking it back

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: July 15, 2016, 05:30:59 pm »

I just saw on the live stream how the men guarding a bridge shot at the crowd...

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: July 15, 2016, 07:19:47 pm »

EDIT: yeah, not really sure how those graphs paint a picture of Muslims being unreasonable. Maybe in Egypt, but the higher percentage Muslims, the less practical it is to have two separate law codes.
Having a large minority (and, in a lot of countries, majority) that advocates to kill anyone who leaves their organization, and to make the rules of their organization extend towards people outside of that organization, doesn't strike me as very reasonable. Unless you support totalitarist regimes that did exactly that in the past.
But that's not what you said, Sergarr. You said, and I quote,

There are plenty of reasonable Muslims in the world, the problem is that the amount of unreasonable ones is 1) much higher, and 2) they have an almost total control of many more countries

Followed by graphs. Let's examine those graphs. Now, before we do, I want to be clear that I am under the impression that what you meant was that the number of Muslim individuals who we are considering unreasonable outnumbers the number of Muslims who we are considering reasonable. Also, keep in mind I live in the United States. I bring this up because our conservative fundamentalist Christians? Which is not an insignificant minority, though thankfully growing smaller, is almost as bad as the fundamentalist Islam you're concerned about. A bit fewer death penalties, at least afaik.
First, by country.
So, of the countries surveyed, 25 out of 38 have the majority of Muslims desirous of Shariah law being implemented.
Additionally, out of the 21 countries/territories surveyed, only 4 have a clear majority of the Muslims who want Shariah law to have it apply to non-Muslims. Two more are torn on the subject.
Out of the 20 countries surveyed, 8 have a clear majority of Muslims who favor Shariah Law being in favor of stoning being the punishment for adultery. Three more are torn on the subject.
Out of the 20 countries surveyed, 6 have a clear majority of Muslims who favor Shariah Law being in favor of death being the punishment for converting away from Islam.
Out of the 20 countries surveyed, eleven have a clear majority of Muslims who believe that the laws do not follow proper shariah law believing that it is a bad thing.

Now, I'll try to analyze it by population, very vaguely. Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria, and Egypt are the most relevant countries here, in that order. Iran would be in there, but it's not surveyed for some reason, and neither Thailand nor Russia are majority Muslim, and they surveyed them in a different way/area anyway. Ethiopia's Muslim population also falls below the vague threshold I'm using, and they aren't the majority there.

Actually, I may have more time than I thought, so I think I might do them all.
Spoiler: Resulting numbers (click to show/hide)
Now, I don't really want to do the math for the remaining countries, as low Muslim-populations as they are. Sorry, Tajikistan. I think we get a pretty good picture from these countries. 917.7 million already calculated for, after all.
Total number of Muslims supporting shariah law in their country: 637.8 million - Percentage: 69.5% of Muslims
Total number of Muslims who believe shariah law should apply to non-Muslims: 282.2 million Percentage: 44.2% of Muslims who support shariah law, 30.8% of total Muslims.

This was entirely done using Wikipedia for Islamic population percentages and country populations, and the graphs Sergarr presented. So, I would say as a preliminary estimate, that his original statement, seen above, is erroneous.

Changing the meaning halfway through when I challenged him on it (so that 'it's not very reasonable to have a large minority that likes things I think are bad'), and then imply that I support totalitarian regimes, feels like an affront to me personally, let alone everyone here who wants honest debate and discussion. Please refrain from doing so again in the future, Sergarr.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: July 15, 2016, 07:43:33 pm »

EDIT: yeah, not really sure how those graphs paint a picture of Muslims being unreasonable. Maybe in Egypt, but the higher percentage Muslims, the less practical it is to have two separate law codes.
Having a large minority (and, in a lot of countries, majority) that advocates to kill anyone who leaves their organization, and to make the rules of their organization extend towards people outside of that organization, doesn't strike me as very reasonable. Unless you support totalitarist regimes that did exactly that in the past.
But that's not what you said, Sergarr. You said, and I quote,

There are plenty of reasonable Muslims in the world, the problem is that the amount of unreasonable ones is 1) much higher, and 2) they have an almost total control of many more countries

Followed by graphs. Let's examine those graphs. Now, before we do, I want to be clear that I am under the impression that what you meant was that the number of Muslim individuals who we are considering unreasonable outnumbers the number of Muslims who we are considering reasonable. Also, keep in mind I live in the United States. I bring this up because our conservative fundamentalist Christians? Which is not an insignificant minority, though thankfully growing smaller, is almost as bad as the fundamentalist Islam you're concerned about. A bit fewer death penalties, at least afaik.
First, by country.
So, of the countries surveyed, 25 out of 38 have the majority of Muslims desirous of Shariah law being implemented.
Additionally, out of the 21 countries/territories surveyed, only 4 have a clear majority of the Muslims who want Shariah law to have it apply to non-Muslims. Two more are torn on the subject.
Out of the 20 countries surveyed, 8 have a clear majority of Muslims who favor Shariah Law being in favor of stoning being the punishment for adultery. Three more are torn on the subject.
Out of the 20 countries surveyed, 6 have a clear majority of Muslims who favor Shariah Law being in favor of death being the punishment for converting away from Islam.
Out of the 20 countries surveyed, eleven have a clear majority of Muslims who believe that the laws do not follow proper shariah law believing that it is a bad thing.

Now, I'll try to analyze it by population, very vaguely. Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria, and Egypt are the most relevant countries here, in that order. Iran would be in there, but it's not surveyed for some reason, and neither Thailand nor Russia are majority Muslim, and they surveyed them in a different way/area anyway. Ethiopia's Muslim population also falls below the vague threshold I'm using, and they aren't the majority there.

Actually, I may have more time than I thought, so I think I might do them all.
Spoiler: Resulting numbers (click to show/hide)
Now, I don't really want to do the math for the remaining countries, as low Muslim-populations as they are. Sorry, Tajikistan. I think we get a pretty good picture from these countries. 917.7 million already calculated for, after all.
Total number of Muslims supporting shariah law in their country: 637.8 million - Percentage: 69.5% of Muslims
Total number of Muslims who believe shariah law should apply to non-Muslims: 282.2 million Percentage: 44.2% of Muslims who support shariah law, 30.8% of total Muslims.

This was entirely done using Wikipedia for Islamic population percentages and country populations, and the graphs Sergarr presented. So, I would say as a preliminary estimate, that his original statement, seen above, is erroneous.

Changing the meaning halfway through when I challenged him on it (so that 'it's not very reasonable to have a large minority that likes things I think are bad'), and then imply that I support totalitarian regimes, feels like an affront to me personally, let alone everyone here who wants honest debate and discussion. Please refrain from doing so again in the future, Sergarr.
Okay, no:
70% of Muslim supporting Sharia law is very much in line with my statement #1 of, cite,

These laws are fucking barbaric piece of garbage that support stoning people to death and killing people who convert out of Islam. The fact that there exist a large fucking minority of Muslim that also supports applying these laws to non-Muslim people in violation of actual Koran, AFAIK, is just an icing on the cake of abhorrent anti-secular garbage.

As for my statement #2:

The problem here seems that you believe that people who want "just" Sharia law are reasonable people. They're fucking not. The moment the Sharia law gets actually implemented, even if it's in limited form, the percentage of people calling for further radical measures - like stoning and other stuff - will skyrocket and rapidly form a majority, because the Overtone Window of "what's an acceptable change" will by then radically shift towards allowing that stuff - and because there's a very strong push within the Muslim community towards it, coupled by lack of any meaningful internal opposition to it.

Just look at the graphs for all countries who currently have de-facto Sharia law, like Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Saudi Arabia. There seems to be no such thing as "reasonable Sharia". At least, if it exists, there's no example of it existing in real world.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2879 on: July 15, 2016, 07:49:24 pm »

Sergarr pls, that's a slippery slope fallacy, Saudi Arabia is a bastion of progressive liberalism the West should educate itself on
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 793