Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002220 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #2925 on: July 16, 2016, 09:23:50 am »

Journalists complaining about taking millions of refugees to permanently change the ethnic composition to create more voters for the ruling party? Haha, ideas spread well!

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: July 16, 2016, 09:52:34 am »

It's now seeming more likely that the rumours that a lot of soldiers didn't know they were staging a coup is true, otherwise it just doesn't make sense why they don't defend themselves, instead looking so confused when approached by a mob about to kill them

Who stages a coup on the day the Prime Minister is out of the country?

They may have believed the citizens of Turkey would support them. Or they were ordered not to shoot civilians to prevent a PR disaster. It reminds me of Garibaldi.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: July 16, 2016, 09:59:21 am »

The Turkish prime minister just declared in a speech that those military that tried to seize power yesterday did not try to commit a coup, but instead are terrorists.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: July 16, 2016, 10:12:30 am »

So terrorists are unable to commit a coup? Gee, I wonder how the IS have all these territories then.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: July 16, 2016, 10:13:30 am »

The Turkish prime minister just declared in a speech that those military that tried to seize power yesterday did not try to commit a coup, but instead are terrorists.

Gotta get the PR right.

One man's freedom fighter and all that...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: July 16, 2016, 10:48:48 am »

So terrorists are unable to commit a coup? Gee, I wonder how the IS have all these territories then.
Military force mostly. Coups are internal after all, while IS started off as part of the Syrian Opposition. If you are part of the government and take over the government, it's a coup or a conspiracy. If you are not part of the government, it's a rebellion/revolution/uprising/civil war/something. In any case, coups only occupy the capital and problem areas, whereas IS is clearly just occupying everything. IS is not a coup by the standard definition; and while coups and civil wars often go together, it only really happens when a coup (successfully or otherwise) leads into a civil war.
Turkish - Egyptian relations are deteriorating further, as Egypt's media reported very positively about the coup attempt, and called it "not a coup, but a revolution within the armed forces"
At least they are consistent. Of course Egypt would support a coup, given how the current government in Egypt came about. At the same time, it makes sense that most of the governments in the middle east would oppose the coup on principle since coups are bad for business. If the coup had succeeded, perhaps we would have heard differently.

My best is that Egypt just jumped the gun on supporting the coup. They should have waited for more news. Now they look very bad indeed.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: July 16, 2016, 11:04:12 am »

Greece has agreed to extradite the 8 man that flew in a helicopter and asked for political asylum and promised to deliver them back to Turkey as soon as possible

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: July 16, 2016, 11:10:10 am »

Will they take 8 syrian refugees in exchange?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: July 16, 2016, 11:14:45 am »

Will they take 8 syrian refugees in exchange?
It's kind of incredible how syrian refugees became something of a currency in international deals in that area of the world. "I'll give you 40 refugees if you do this for me"
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: July 16, 2016, 11:44:56 am »

Turkish military was fractured during the attempt and couldn't fight back properly. Erdog now has a big excuse to do all the constitutional changes he was planning, meaning turkey is kind of (even more) fucked now.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: July 16, 2016, 12:29:21 pm »

They don't really know how to do PR very well.

"Let's blame a guy who is in self-imposed exile and preaches tolerance and altruism for starting it!"

"Okay, let's say they're terrorists too, that'll get everyone on our side!"
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: July 16, 2016, 01:03:57 pm »

Turkey has asked the USA to either banish or otherwise directly extradite Gulen to Turkey. John Kerry has responded he will seriously consider it, and asked for definitive proof that he is behind the coup. Erdogan says he has given that proof.

"As soon as the US extradite the head of terrorists to us, a lot will change", Erdogan said.

When the crowd demanded Erdogan give the death penalty to the traitors, Erdogan replied "we can discuss that in parliament".

Earlier today, Amnesty International already pleaded with Turkey to not reinstate the death penalty.

I doubt they will though, because that'll disqualify them for EU membership.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 01:12:57 pm by martinuzz »

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: July 16, 2016, 01:23:44 pm »

I'd bet money that Gulen had nothing whatsoever to do with this.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: July 16, 2016, 01:41:01 pm »

If the US does, I will have lost faith in the current government, not just potential government.

Goddamn. Every time one of these coups or movements towards more dictatorship happens, it erodes my faith in the inevitability of movement towards the better. Just a little each time.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: July 16, 2016, 01:43:03 pm »

An actual coup by the Turkish military would have been the latter.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 793