Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002122 times)

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #3690 on: August 11, 2016, 08:33:36 am »

than aiding Israel in destabilizing every nearby Arab country is a tragic, horrific, destructive farce.
Why are you imposing your own arbitrary morals on Israel? Simply because you feel the desire or obligation to not destabilize the Middle East, it doesn't mean that that desire or sense of obligation is universal, despite the prevalence of echo chambers these days.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: August 11, 2016, 09:46:29 am »

Ultimately, it was a fair vote (some dodgy dealing by the government regarding leaflets aside), so starting a trend of rerunning any election if people complain hard enough seems daft to me. If it'd gone the other way, I'd have been disappointed in the result but happy we at least got the chance to vote, and I'd have respected the result rather than pulling a Nicola Sturgeon and whining for yet another referendum I'd likely lose.

When was she whining for another referendum? She was the only political leader (of any consequence) to do as the meme says and keep calm. Cameron resigned, throwing the Tories into chaos, Labour for some inexplicable reason turned down the opportunity to attack their biggest rivals in favour of attacking their own leader. The first thing that Sturgeon said when the results became known was that all EU citizens in Scotland were welcome and not to worry about their future in the country. Not heard that from anyone else in the UK.

She asked a group of experts to examine how Scotland can protect its interests in the EU.

Now, every single Scottish council area voted to Remain. Every. Single. One. I think that means the people of Scotland have given Sturgeon a mandate to do everything she possibly can to get Scotland to remain in the EU, and I'm surprised that you, when you say things like this:

I don't believe in picking and choosing when we follow the principles of democracy.

Don't seem to think that Scotland being taken out of the EU against its will is a problem. Or is it just because it would go against your own self-interest that you don't give a shit?

Edit: I'm also curious if you have a link to the Corbyn interview you cited. My Google-fu fails me :'(
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:18:10 am by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: August 11, 2016, 10:07:09 am »

than aiding Israel in destabilizing every nearby Arab country is a tragic, horrific, destructive farce.
What on earth are you talking about? You really think that instability in the Arab world is a planned act by Israel?
That's either some tinfoil hat level conspiracy nutting there, or a deliberate attempt at spreading anti-Israel sentiment by using desinformation.

As i said, either he completely have no idea what he is talking about, or have no idea what he is talking about but still do so out of racism against Jews.

Since i seem to recall i once refuted his claim that "we" fund Israel but he still keeps making it, i suspect the latter.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: August 11, 2016, 10:28:05 am »

:U
While I'm not one to apreciate Israel's foreign policies and general treatment of the palestinean people, Israel is only one minor factor in the huge clusterfuck of ancient hatred and political turmoil that made the middle eastern/arab world what it is today. There's a few tons of cultural, social and geopolitical factors that spawned and maintains the storm of conflict that persists in the middle east, with some being several hundred years old.

Not saying Israel didn't cause part of the problems that affect it, but it is far, faaaar from being the main cause of it.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: August 11, 2016, 11:06:45 am »

:U
While I'm not one to apreciate Israel's foreign policies and general treatment of the palestinean people, Israel is only one minor factor in the huge clusterfuck of ancient hatred and political turmoil that made the middle eastern/arab world what it is today. There's a few tons of cultural, social and geopolitical factors that spawned and maintains the storm of conflict that persists in the middle east, with some being several hundred years old.

Not saying Israel didn't cause part of the problems that affect it, but it is far, faaaar from being the main cause of it.

Personally I would say that the creation of Israel is the chief factor that gave audience to the sort of radical Islamist militancy we see today, or at least the kind that would actively target the west instead of staying home. If not for Israel, the oil, and cold war delusions of strategic importance, I'd wager that the middle east would be more like what most of Africa and southeast Asia is today than what it is now; about as messed up, but nobody would care. Israel's a glaring contemporary reminder of foreign hostility and imperialism, with open and obvious connections to religion, and as a result is the single best recruiting tool and source of sympathy for radical Islamists, terrorists or not.

The cat's out of the bag now of course, it's too late for it to be resolved by anything but time (though the time remaining on the clock goes up every time Israel retaliates, or the US either topples a government or lets the CIA train their torture corps). While I think things would be better if the British government hadn't listened to zionists, or Truman hadn't strongarmed and bribed the UN into supporting Israel, it's mostly an academic point now, and of course the people of Israel living there now have every right to a safe existence.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: August 11, 2016, 11:14:45 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The radical Islamic militancy we see today was also seen long long long before Israel's creation.

So, wait, your response is digging up your previous response which, as you said, is based on "belief"? yep, you have no idea what are talking about. and you are right, we did discuss this earlier, but since you keep making the same flawed arguments, i call bigotry. BPP go.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:24:22 am by Vilanat »

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: August 11, 2016, 11:25:17 am »

What good points? as he said, it is based on belief. what kind of flawed argument is that?

I also actually took the time to click those links you provided. so, wait, let me get your reasoning right: Israel humanitary help, mainly for the FSA, THE Western Ally in Syria, in exchange for the protection of the Druze population in Syria is now an active effort by Israel to destabalize the Middle East? yeah, BPP go.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:27:34 am by Vilanat »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: August 11, 2016, 11:33:39 am »

When was she whining for another referendum?

I have no clue what reality you're living in. Sturgeon was constantly whining for another independence referendum. She even flew over to Brussels to beg EU leaders to back her up (and failed pretty miserably from what it seems). Not to mention that nonsense about vetoing it.

So her doing something she said she would do in her manifesto (a point made in the article you linked to) is somehow her whining now? Is Scotland being taken out of the EU against its democratic will not a significant or material change?

I'm also curious why you think it's "whining" when she is quoted as saying this in the article:

Quote from: Nicola Sturgeon
Asked if there were any other options available to the Scottish government, she replied: "I think an independence referendum is now highly likely but I also think it is important that we take time to consider all steps and have the discussions, not least to assess the response of the European Union to the vote that Scotland expressed yesterday."

She said she thinks the referendum is likely, but it's not the only option available. Does that sound like someone who's demanding the Scottish people take up their mattocks and hit the border hard enough that they float away?

Don't seem to think that Scotland being taken out of the EU against its will is a problem. Or is it just because it would go against your own self-interest that you don't give a shit?

I don't care if all (or, like in Scotland, 60% of) the houses on the next street vote Red; if more people in the country overall vote Blue, then Blue wins the election. That street can't turn around and say 'But that's not what we voted for, we don't want to follow the rules now!'.

Well, I mean, they can, but it's bloody stupid.

Scotland voted decisively to stay as a part of the UK, for better or worse. The people of Scotland aren't stupid, so the argument of 'But they didn't think X would happen!' doesn't hold much water with me. For one thing, David Cameron had already promised the EU referendum at the time Scotland had its independence referendum, so they knew what was coming. They chose to stay. One day perhaps there'll be enough demand for them to get a second Independence referendum, but we can't be doing it all the time, or we'd end up with one everytime we have a Tory PM.

Sturgeon isn't a British politician though, she's a Scottish one. Leader of the Scottish parliament. She isn't saying that "the people of Scotland didn't think X would happen", she's saying has a mandate from the Scottish people to stay in the EU. Which I think it's fair to say she does.

Do you expect her to ignore that, when Scotland voted even more decisively to stay in the EU than they did to stay as part of the UK, as well as by a much more significant margin than the proverbial bawhair that the rUK England and Wales voted to leave it?

Or, in other words the joke: "A Scotsman, Englishman and Northern Irishman all go to a bar. They have to leave because the Englishman wanted to go."
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: August 11, 2016, 11:38:47 am »

You don't draw the line in morals. Not hurting anyone just because the law is against it doesn't mean that it has to be an absolute moral that is to be followed all of the time. I do not want to hurt anyone right now, but I recognize that at some point even law-breaking violence or threat of that isnt only for self defense may be the best course of action. I do value value the benefit of myself and everyone I care about over others' which may or may not conflict with the law or imposed "morals".

The way I see it, is that teamwork tends to help everyone within a society(a lot of the time any way), and thus an individual tends to be a valuable resource to the group of people working together or society(which means individuals are valuable to each other). Laws and "morals", that are "decided together"(or not!) prevent, punish or limit individuals within the society from competing one another too much, including killing one another, and thus from hurting the interests of the society. Law and order becomes useful, even if it were in individual cases disadvantageous to an individual's immediate interests in for example accumulating personal wealth.

Thus, I choose to follow law because its advantageous to me. Something that is hard-wired into me also finds helping others rewarding, so even if I were to break the law, I would likely do whatever I were to do because I found it advantageous to more than just myself.
Case

But yeah, rational discussion seems to be a rarity nowadays. More so on the internet. I've heard that PMs tend to be better than public discussion because it means people stop arguing performatively, intentionally or unintentionally, for an audience.
Point

:/ Sometimes I hate being right
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: August 11, 2016, 11:43:38 am »

I think his point about Scotland may have been that they might want another referendum now that the main reason they stayed (that I know of) is gone.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: August 11, 2016, 11:50:53 am »

The radical Islamic militancy we see today was also seen long long long before Israel's creation.

Is there any evidence of this?  I don't think any of the political Islamists of the 19th and early 20th century were anywhere near as aggressive or extreme, and there isn't any link between them and the modern radical Islamic terrorist groups, either ideologically or politically. Even throughout European colonial history, I don't think there are examples of what would now be called Islamic terrorism. It seems a bit ridiculous to even talk about terrorism before the end of WWII, in my opinion.

I'm not implying that Islamists wouldn't exist without Israel, only that the radical terrorist groups that spring from it would get less local sympathy and wouldn't be nearly as interested in attacking places outside their country of origin. There's not much that can be changed now, but I think it's worth recognizing.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: August 11, 2016, 11:55:05 am »

Yes, I'd say a coordinated effort to provide medical care to Syrian rebel fighters going back as far as 2013 does contribute toward destabilising nearby countries. Not that it's just medical care, of course - they're potentially arming them as well.

Quote from: The linked article
Further reports indicated similar incidents. However, cooperation between the IDF and Syrian rebels that was revealed in UN observer reports does not just include transferring the wounded. Observers remarked in the report distributed on June 10 that they identified IDF soldiers on the Israeli side handing over two boxes to armed Syrian opposition members on the Syrian side.

And I presume you mean BNP, rather than BPP? Otherwise I have no clue what the hell you're talking about.

Hector, I regret forgetting that I'd intended to stop replying to you. You asked when she was whining for another referendum, I answer you, and you switch to whining about my use of the word whining. Whining. Whining. Anyway, let's go back to the previous paradigm.

(But while I'm here, to answer the second half of your post - I'm sorry, but Scotland is a part of the UK. Until you manage to get the result you want on an independence referendum, you have to deal with it and all that it entails. Hell, you don't just have to - you CHOSE to, in 2014. Democratically ;))

Sorry, did you just ignore the rest of the post in which I pointed out that the not-very-significant margin of 52-48 was less than the slightly more significant margin of 62-38? Or that what you said Sturgeon said was not quite what she actually said?

I mean I'm quite happy not to hear you respond to my arguments, since I don't get to see you selectively ignore the parts that are quite pertinent to the parts to which I'm responding.

Anyway, since 2014, the Independence Referendum, then they've chosen to almost completely wipe out British political parties as representatives of the Scottish constituencies in the UK parliament, elect another SNP (admittedly minority, though that could be argued to be a result of the List votes system) and vote overwhelmingly to stay in the EU, but have their democratic will ignored in favour of England, as per.

PPE: a single poll, nice. Does that show Scotland's political will better than actual elections and referendums?

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: August 11, 2016, 12:26:00 pm »

Yes, I'd say a coordinated effort to provide medical care to Syrian rebel fighters going back as far as 2013 does contribute toward destabilising nearby countries. Not that it's just medical care, of course - they're potentially arming them as well.

Quote from: The linked article
Further reports indicated similar incidents. However, cooperation between the IDF and Syrian rebels that was revealed in UN observer reports does not just include transferring the wounded. Observers remarked in the report distributed on June 10 that they identified IDF soldiers on the Israeli side handing over two boxes to armed Syrian opposition members on the Syrian side.

And I presume you mean BNP, rather than BPP? Otherwise I have no clue what the hell you're talking about.

If the potential for arming them is two boxes, then wow, that is VERY suspicious. two boxes is precisely what it takes for a perfectly stable country to become destabalized i guess. (Never mind that two boxes could very likely be medical aid, because, ya know, giving that most of these "IDF soldiers" are actually military medics and doctors)

And no, providing medical assistance to THE western ally, THE sane secular force in Syria, for the protection of a defenseless minority population is not destabalizing nearby countries. A), it's only one country, B) it's less than a percentage of the support the West grant these exact same forces, C) its influence on the greater Syrian civil war is nile D) it's for a good cause, which is something the Syrian civil war seems to lack in spades. E) Syria was already a fricking cluster fuck to begin with with nothing to do with Israel F) you have no idea what you are talking about. BPP go.

Is there any evidence of this?  I don't think any of the political Islamists of the 19th and early 20th century were anywhere near as aggressive or extreme, and there isn't any link between them and the modern radical Islamic terrorist groups, either ideologically or politically. Even throughout European colonial history, I don't think there are examples of what would now be called Islamic terrorism. It seems a bit ridiculous to even talk about terrorism before the end of WWII, in my opinion.

I'm not implying that Islamists wouldn't exist without Israel, only that the radical terrorist groups that spring from it would get less local sympathy and wouldn't be nearly as interested in attacking places outside their country of origin. There's not much that can be changed now, but I think it's worth recognizing.

I am not sure i understand the term political Islamists. Islamism is almost political as much as it is religious. it's sharia laws address political affairs just as it address state affairs. you can't have true Islam apolitically.

Islamic terrorism, as seen today, was not possible in the 18th century, but this is just a form adapted to modern means, not an essence. Islamic militarism was very similar in essence to what we see to day though. fatwas, jihads, religious civil wars all included. check out baghdad historic timeline, go back to 1600 and the descriptions would sound extremely similar to what we have today. heck, even the term Assassin is derived from the Hashashins and when you take away the romantic aroma attached to it you are basically left with near ISIS like terrorists.

Now, i don't object to the fact the existence of Israel pisses some extremely lunatic racists, granted, that is a contributing factor indeed, but just one factor and it's only a factor because of their extremely lunatic religious bigotry to begin with.

I even maintain that the presence of Israel is actually a somewhat stabalizing factor for Arab countries. so long there's an evil enemy out there in the form of Jews, who cares about internal struggles? Take a look at Syria's Sunni insurgencies throughout the years and notice that they usually take major swings after defeats by Israel. when the Muslim Arabs realized Israel can not be conquered so easily, they abandoned their outside enemy and turned their attention at internal matters. and well, we all know Syria/Iraq/Iran/Egypt/Lebanon and Jordan are not role models for how to run a country.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 01:53:34 pm by Vilanat »

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: August 11, 2016, 12:37:04 pm »

F) you have no idea what you are talking about. BPP go.
On the contrary, it seems he knows quite a bit about what he's talking about, which is something that I really can't say for you, given how your default response to any criticism of Israel is to accuse the critic of being antisemitic. So please, do the rest of us a favor and either come up with an actual argument, or just stop talking and let us move on.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: August 11, 2016, 12:45:55 pm »

Does he? please, do show.

plus, i think i came up with more arguments than that. A-E?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:47:32 pm by Vilanat »
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 793