Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008855 times)

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #4290 on: December 13, 2016, 07:21:36 pm »

I do wish that there was a large European information campaign in the affected migrant areas. A great, big one, with posters, pamphlets and internet videos. Something along the lines of "Europe is, unfortunately, not heaven, and spending your savings and risking your lives might not be worth it. Do not believe the travel agents. We cannot guarantee your safety en-route, nor that your asylum claim will be accepted nor that it will be an improvement to your life. Further, Europe is not as rich as it seems, the weather is dreadful, living costs are high and you will have to adapt to women, both western and otherwise, being equals to you."

I dread to think what these smugglers might be telling people to sell them the tickets. I imagine a chap is liable to be disappointed, when all their fairytales turn out false. It would be bad enough, had you spent the sort of money they demanded for it. The boating trip on the way would hardly help. I think these sort of campaigns might at least help somewhat. Even though attempting to convince people to stay where they are would not be the sort of thing that would earn you many Christmas cards, it would probably be better for everyone.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: December 13, 2016, 07:21:46 pm »

The Washington Post predicts that Putin's next target for election manipulation will be Germany

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2016/12/12/russias-next-election-operation-germany/?utm_term=.62242f128bea
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: December 13, 2016, 07:29:27 pm »

The Washington Post predicts that Putin's next target for election manipulation will be Germany

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2016/12/12/russias-next-election-operation-germany/?utm_term=.62242f128bea

They're already worried about it.

http://www.politico.eu/article/german-mps-fret-russian-interference-in-2017-election/

http://www.politico.eu/article/europe-russia-hacking-elections/

Of course though, Russia has lost the element of surprise here. It may also be that being in fear is enough for Putin, but no guarantee.edit: Then again, the WaPo article says that the Russian operation has already begun in Germany.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:33:13 pm by smjjames »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: December 13, 2016, 07:34:20 pm »

Germany is doomed. If USA with all its power couldn't prevent itself from being suddenly overrun by Russian puppets within just one year, who managed to convert a staunchly anti-Russian party to a fervently pro-Russian one like it was nothing, then no one can.

Putin's political power level is simply too high for anyone to be able to stop him now.
._.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: December 13, 2016, 07:37:26 pm »

I do wish that there was a large European information campaign in the affected migrant areas. A great, big one, with posters, pamphlets and internet videos. Something along the lines of "Europe is, unfortunately, not heaven, and spending your savings and risking your lives might not be worth it. Do not believe the travel agents. We cannot guarantee your safety en-route, nor that your asylum claim will be accepted nor that it will be an improvement to your life. Further, Europe is not as rich as it seems, the weather is dreadful, living costs are high and you will have to adapt to women, both western and otherwise, being equals to you."

I dread to think what these smugglers might be telling people to sell them the tickets. I imagine a chap is liable to be disappointed, when all their fairytales turn out false. It would be bad enough, had you spent the sort of money they demanded for it. The boating trip on the way would hardly help. I think these sort of campaigns might at least help somewhat. Even though attempting to convince people to stay where they are would not be the sort of thing that would earn you many Christmas cards, it would probably be better for everyone.

In terms of countries that aren't at war and are reasonably safe, sure.

I'm not sure "the weather is a bit shit" will keep people from trying to flee war or persecution :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: December 13, 2016, 07:42:42 pm »

Germany is doomed. If USA with all its power couldn't prevent itself from being suddenly overrun by Russian puppets within just one year, who managed to convert a staunchly anti-Russian party to a fervently pro-Russian one like it was nothing, then no one can.

Putin's political power level is simply too high for anyone to be able to stop him now.

I think you're underestimating (or maybe overestimating) the political climate, the political climate in Germany is totally different from the one in the US. All he really has to do is find a chink in the armor, and ours happened to be a gaping hole, all he did was fan the flames that were already present in the political climate here in the US. He never created any fires, the fires were already present.

Plus we were so blinded by our hyperpartianship that we didn't see it until it was almost too late, at least publicly. Though the issues with our Democratic candidate didn't help either. edit: And likely also by the 'nah, it'll never happen' mentality.

Though this article would explain it better somewhat: http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/13/politics/obama-administration-russia-hacks-response/index.html
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 08:52:25 pm by smjjames »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: December 15, 2016, 03:01:10 am »

Blaming Russia really does sound like the easiest way out and to save face in explaning what happened, and happens.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: December 15, 2016, 06:43:56 am »

Nuclear fraud scandal in France, 18 out of 58 nuclear reactors have been shut down effective immediatly.

The French nuclear watchdog ASN discovered, during a routine check of the reactor EPR at Flamanville, the reactor shell was made from steel that has a too high carbon concentration, which makes it less resistant to heat. The reactor has been immediatly shut down.

Further investigation by nuclear inspections from the US, China and four other countries revealed that more reactors had the same high carbon issue, and investigating further, possible fraud and forgery came to light at the factory Areva, which manufactures nuclear powerplant parts. The French Justice department has started an investigation.

Blocked files were found at Areva, which contained reports about flaws and imperfections of generators, hidden away from customers and authorities.
What's more, the files seem to contain forged documents, according to Pierre-Franck Chevet, director of ASN.

In total, 200 such files were found, the earliest stemming from the 1960s. A document from 2008 showed that a piece of disapproved steel was used for building the steam generator in the Fessenheim nuclear plant in the Elzas. This reactor, too, has been immediatly shut down.

According to Avera, tampering with documents has stopped in 2012, when quality control was improved.

It's extra embarrassing, since Areva was saved from bankrupcy earlier this year through a capital injection by the French state. This is still being investigated by the EU, as it might be a case of illegitimate state support.

Of the 18 shut down reactors, 6 have been restarted, because otherwise France would not have enough power to prevent blackouts, with nearly 80% of it's electricity being generated in nuclear plants. Another seven are soon to be restarted. The remaining 5 will remain closed for revision.

EDIT: apparently, the scandal was discovered this summer already, and the two specific power plant shutdowns I mentioned already occured back in September. It's just now come to the media's attention.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/problems-at-nuclear-components-supplier-spark-global-reviews-1481625005
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:23:17 am by martinuzz »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: December 15, 2016, 08:20:30 am »

* hector13 thinks twice about clicking a Daily Mail link
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4301 on: December 15, 2016, 08:36:41 am »

http://www.bild.de/politik/inland/wladimir-putin/propaganda-putin2sexmobs-49205588.bild.html
Original source

A previously unknown component resulting from the close cooperation of Russian, Syrian and other intelligence agencies and the Russian Mafia, says Russian expert Gustav Gressel ( European Council on Foreign Relations ).
"A part of the refugees from Iraq and Syria, if only a very small part, had connections with Assad or Saddam Hussein's secret services."
These people could be specifically targeted by secretaries or mafia trips and can be instrumentalized for disturbances, warns Gressel.
Normal day in Europe tbh, I don't think you need Moscow mafia when the new Germans do it all the time lmao

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4302 on: December 15, 2016, 09:00:43 am »

I don't speak no German, neither :o

But anyhow, it does seem a bit odd to say it's the ECFR saying it - as the headlines of the Mail, Sun, and Breitbart, among various other website are, from my Google search - when it's one dude who... works for them? Saying it.

Not that that makes it any less of a bizarre thing to say is "within the realm of possibility."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4303 on: December 15, 2016, 09:03:25 am »

Just google translate it

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: December 16, 2016, 03:53:38 am »

Citizens of the poorer quarters in Maastricht are pissed.
Yesterday saw the festive opening of the new highway tunnel for the A2. It's purpose is to lead high and heavy traffic under the city, to reduce city air pollution levels.

While most inhabitants are happy with it, those lving in the poor area near the tunnel exits are less pleased. They now get the full load of exhaust plumes blowing from the tunnel vents.
"With their glamorous prestige project they apparently didn't take the inhabitants into account, when they decided not to place air filters at the tunnel vent exits", a resident comments.

Protest groep Klaor Loch (Clean Air in the Limburg dialect) fears the pollution at the tunnel exits will only increase. "Is the health of poor and vulnerable people in our society not important?"

Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 793