Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002230 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #4980 on: February 26, 2017, 02:04:39 pm »

Sorry, I'll stop. You know how it is, I don't like scriver, scriver doesn't like me, trolling a bit is fun...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: February 26, 2017, 02:28:40 pm »

Prussians are those military-obsessed people, basically modern-age Spartans, weren't they?
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: February 26, 2017, 02:33:57 pm »

Prussians are those military-obsessed people, basically modern-age Spartans, weren't they?

The Old Prussians (the Baltic people) or the Germans that just called themselves Prussians (and might have been descendents of the origional, some of them anyway)? No idea if they (the Germans that called themselves Prussians) were any more military obsessed than anybody else at the time, but they were certainly well known militarily and were considered the elite German troops of their day I believe.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 02:36:41 pm by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4983 on: February 26, 2017, 04:38:54 pm »

The Old Prussians (the Baltic people) or the Germans that just called themselves Prussians (and might have been descendents of the origional, some of them anyway)? No idea if they (the Germans that called themselves Prussians) were any more military obsessed than anybody else at the time, but they were certainly well known militarily and were considered the elite German troops of their day I believe.

Well, Prussia (the modern era kingdom) was known for its militarism. Before that, the area of Old Prussia was largely conquered and occupied by the Teutonic Knight (and the Livonian Swordbrothers), which were a military order (And later gave birth to the Duchy of Prussia when the Grandmaster decided he wanted to be a duke instead).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4984 on: February 26, 2017, 06:44:40 pm »

There's not been a people like the Spartans since. Closest thing I can think of are Rhodesians, but Rhodesians weren't as hardcore as Spartans either. Prussians weren't as hardcore as Spartans either, but they were an exceptionally well-drilled and well-disciplined force and we all owe them a lot, because we've lifted a lot of our officer and school systems from them. They also had a habit of bullying France and Austria.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So kinda cool but also kinda cunty, Prussia is Prussia

And I'm suuuuuure you can show me that this genociding was still taking place at the start of the 20th century, no? Else by the same standard London is not an English city.
London is not an English city

It also depends on your usage of adjectives like 'German'. For example, it would hardly be a stretch to call a village within the country of Belgium populated by German-speaking people 'German'. Especially in an increasingly post-national Europe I think there is great value in paying attention to the nuances of these matters, as it increases our awareness of our shared, intertwined history.
'Historically German' would be the preferred phrasing here, I think. To say that Danzig has nothing to do with Germany at all certainly is wrong.
I think Europe is not as post-national as you might be thinking

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4985 on: February 26, 2017, 08:51:19 pm »

Soon, my friend. Soon.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: February 26, 2017, 09:03:21 pm »

Soon, my friend. Soon.

Even 'soon' might be a really long time.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: February 27, 2017, 04:14:45 am »

Soon, my friend. Soon.

Speaking of German-speaking village, did I ever told you about Moresnet-Neutre? A tiny strip of land disputed between Prussia and the NEtherlands, then Prussia and Germany and Belgium that was as such part of neither from 1830 until 1914? Pretty cool history, I'll rant about it over a beer this week-end.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4988 on: February 27, 2017, 08:12:19 am »

Soon, my friend. Soon.
Even 'soon' might be a really long time.
I suppose the nations of Europe collapsing would technically be post-national Europe
Hopefully not soon

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: February 28, 2017, 10:33:07 am »

In other news, the head of the swedish "ambulance union" is asking that body armor and helmets be provided for paramedics because they're often exposed to violence (up to and including fucking hand grenades) and that no-go zones are very much a reality for them.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: February 28, 2017, 10:36:25 am »

In other news, the head of the swedish "ambulance union" is asking that body armor and helmets be provided for paramedics because they're often exposed to violence (up to and including fucking hand grenades) and that no-go zones are very much a reality for them.

O.o

To quote Trump, what the hell is going on over there?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: February 28, 2017, 11:06:45 am »

Does anyone have an English source for that? I can't find anything whatsoever on DGS-tv or Patrik Engellau in English, which means I can't look it up in more detail which I hate.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: February 28, 2017, 11:07:54 am »

Yeah, can our Swedish forumist confirm?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: February 28, 2017, 11:49:07 am »

DGS is apparently 'Det Goda Samhället', or The Good Society.

DGS-TV is a 10-part series of programs "where Patrik Engellau along with several of the country's brightest opinion leaders to discuss our most important issues."

Homepage of the interviewee's organisation. (Gordon Grattidge is the chairman)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:53:20 am by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: February 28, 2017, 12:48:38 pm »

Oh, pissflaps, I was about to start arranging my dinner. It will be a while before I can give anything particularly in-depth. For now, I can reveal that I have not heard of it until now, no. I have heard of the threats and the odd attack on the emergency service crews, however. I am not particularly surprised. It sounds like a very reasonable request. Indeed, I thought they already had at least some helmets and riot-shields available.

The translation in the video provided checks out very well, so it is a good source. I do not know much of DGS TV as a whole, but it appears perfectly harmless; an opinion blog and Youtube series that goes somewhat outside the fold, but does so quite well. It is not particularly political, other than in its scepticism to some established orthodoxies that they believe need probing.

I can confirm Dorsidwarf's translations above. That is effectively what they are trying to do; be a journalistic counter-force to value-journalism and current identity politics. It is harmless; it is certainly no Breitbart-esque, as it where.
It is rather interesting. I shall pick it through and see what more I can find. It is a very small site, with a small footprint, hence the lack of general dirt, I imagine. It is more of an archive of opinion pieces that up until recently would not be particularly well-seen in most papers.

This is why when you accept a bunch of immigrants/refugees, cordoning them off into their own little communities is the worst way to handle integration.

That has, more or less, happened by itself. The immigration and integration is in the hopeless state it is because of in-action, I would say. It has been a very hands-off affair; it has been far less interesting than recieving and cashing the prestige and the feelings of generousity of having a 'humane migration policy'. It has all been dreadfully irresponsible. I urge you, do not try this at home.

This has been Meatball NewsTM, we will return shortly with more coverage on this story later. [Jingle, fade-out]
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:54:28 pm by Silverthrone »
Pages: 1 ... 331 332 [333] 334 335 ... 793