Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002074 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #5880 on: May 24, 2017, 08:09:32 am »

That's because you believe in the fairy tale version of multiculturalism where everybody behaves the same way, thinks the same way, and have the same values as your own culture

So... I believe in the opposite of Multiculturalism? What would that be?

Oooh I like that word!

Ethno-Nationalistic.

I don't think you understand that different cultures means different values, thoughts, and mindsets from your own, and they're not all going to be as palatable to you as the menu down in your neighbourhood Turkic fast food place

I am pretty sure that is explicitly what it means.

Though I do like your phrasing, let me rephrase it without changing the meaning: "Multiculturalism means different values, thoughts, and mindsets from your own"

Yet let me rephrase it one more time and simply move the recipient around: "Multiculturalism means your own values, thoughts, and mindsets can be different from others"
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:16:08 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5881 on: May 24, 2017, 08:13:43 am »

You seem to have an extremely limited interpretation of what a community is.

That's only valid observation if you aren't familiar with how the term "the community" is usually used in English.

The people who do this sort of thing tend to have very fragmented social lives, almost no connection to wider social groups at all. e.g. a regular mosque includes both men and women, families, young and old.

Sure, if your only contacts are two other guys your age who are conspiracy nuts with violent fantasies that could be construed to be a "a community" too, but picking on that point is being anally pedantic about semantics. It's clearly different if you're part of that vs having a rich social life.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5882 on: May 24, 2017, 08:16:34 am »

Starting tomorrow, the party drug 4-FA (also called 4-FMP) will be officially banned in the Netherlands. Studies have shown that next to terrible headaches, other side effects of the drug include heart problems and brain aneurisms. According to authorities, multiple people ended up in hospital after using 4-FA. In Germany and the UK, the drug is already banned.

4-FA is a very cheap party drug which has been gaining popularity over the past few years, especially since it was not illegal.
It's effect is really mild, but there lies it's danger. People tend to consume it in large quantities to approach the effect of xtc, or combine it with other drugs, like alcohol.

This shows that how dangerous a drug is, isn't always directly correlated to how strong it's effects are. It also illustrates the problem with our drug classification laws. A new (designer) drug starts out legal, because there's no direct mention of it in opoid law. Law's always a few steps behind on catching up with new drugs being marketed.
It's only when people start ending up in hospital that the legislation process starts up.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5883 on: May 24, 2017, 08:22:10 am »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2020382/You-entering-Sharia-law-Britain-As-Islamic-extremists-declare-Sharia-law-zone-London-suburb-worrying-social-moral-implications.html

This is one example of what I mean.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3468233/Sharia-courts-UK-prepared-ignore-marital-rape-domestic-abuse-child-marriage-says-prominent-Muslim-professor.html

Another good article.

These are what are typically brought up when someone talks about how terrible the Muslim community is. I can find more, I just wanted something that would point towards what I was referring to.

---

Of course there is also this nice tidbit. Just thought some extra "understanding where people are coming from"

http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/244266/80-london-muslims-support-isis-daniel-greenfield
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:29:39 am by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5884 on: May 24, 2017, 08:26:04 am »

That's the Daily Mail, which is... known for exaggeration.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: May 24, 2017, 08:57:47 am »

That's because you believe in the fairy tale version of multiculturalism where everybody behaves the same way, thinks the same way, and have the same values as your own culture

So... I believe in the opposite of Multiculturalism? What would that be?

Oooh I like that word!

Ethno-Nationalistic.

I don't think you understand that different cultures means different values, thoughts, and mindsets from your own, and they're not all going to be as palatable to you as the menu down in your neighbourhood Turkic fast food place

I am pretty sure that is explicitly what it means.

Though I do like your phrasing, let me rephrase it without changing the meaning: "Multiculturalism means different values, thoughts, and mindsets from your own"

Yet let me rephrase it one more time and simply move the recipient around: "Multiculturalism means your own values, thoughts, and mindsets can be different from others"

No, it means people practicing their different values and thoughts. And it means that it is not just a handful of people doing so, but large parts of the demographic. And if you don't acknowledge that those values, when it comes to large swaths of the greater middle East and middle eastern Muslims, include things like child marriages and patriarchal misogyni and persecution of minorities and people different from themselves, then yeah, you're living in the above mentioned fairy tale multiculturalism air castle where every culture is just like your own except in the superficial areas that don't matter shit, like food.

Me myself I had enough of multiculturalism at the point where my country decided that traping children is completely fine if the victim is Muslim, and threatening to kill women is a-okey because the threatener "comes from a culture where exaggerated threats is norm".
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5886 on: May 24, 2017, 09:03:34 am »

No, it means people practicing their different values and thoughts

Yes practicing their different values and thoughts such as:
-Freedom of speech
-Freedom of expression
-Freedom of Religion
-Freedom of Assembly
-Freedom of Association
-Freedom of marriage and family

Me myself I had enough of multiculturalism at the point where my country decided that traping children is completely fine if the victim is Muslim, and threatening to kill women is a-okey because the threatener "comes from a culture where exaggerated threats is norm".

Now where do you get this idea?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/717347/British-Muslims-attacked-abused-threatened-DEATH-Islam
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:06:45 am by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5887 on: May 24, 2017, 09:05:23 am »

Perhaps you guys in Europe are doing multiculturalism wrong, you should do it the way we do it in the US.

Of course though, it probably helps to be a country of immigrants.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5888 on: May 24, 2017, 09:07:35 am »

Perhaps you guys in Europe are doing multiculturalism wrong, you should do it the way we do it in the US.

In all fairness I don't know of many countries outside "supposedly" the UK that supports death threats under Multiculturalism.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:19:09 am by Neonivek »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5889 on: May 24, 2017, 09:19:02 am »

No, it means people practicing their different values and thoughts

Yes practicing their different values and thoughts such as:
-Freedom of speech
-Freedom of expression
-Freedom of Religion
-Freedom of Assembly
-Freedom of Association
-Freedom of marriage and family

Those are things you believe in. Those are expressions of your culture. They are not universal values of every culture ever. This is exactly the kind of thing I was getting at by saying you don't actually understand what different cultures mean and only think it is superficial things.

Now where do you get this idea?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/717347/British-Muslims-attacked-abused-threatened-DEATH-Islam

I have no idea what that link has to do with anything i said, except that I find it not exactly supporting your thoughts in any way.

By slaughtering the native populace and then rearranging society into one based entirely on race instead of nationality? No thanks, the US in general is a pretty good example of how not to do things.
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5890 on: May 24, 2017, 09:20:00 am »

Those are things you believe in. Those are expressions of your culture. They are not universal values of every culture ever. This is exactly the kind of thing I was getting at by saying you don't actually understand what different cultures mean and only think it is superficial things.

You mean different cultures mean people have different cultures?

Yet I don't quite think you understand. What happens to a society that doesn't allow those rights?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:24:00 am by Neonivek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5891 on: May 24, 2017, 09:20:42 am »

By slaughtering the native populace and then rearranging society into one based entirely on race instead of nationality? No thanks, the US in general is a pretty good example of how not to do things.

That's not what I meant....

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5892 on: May 24, 2017, 09:22:42 am »

Also that is OOOOLD news...

And if you want to bring up historical travesties we could be here all day discussing the UKs :P

Isn't that right pretty much every continent in the world?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:24:29 am by Neonivek »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5893 on: May 24, 2017, 09:24:08 am »

I'm not sure there's evidence that having their own community centers is the issue.
The Manchester guy had little connection to a community, and if you look at the Westminster attacker, he wasn't raise a Muslim, he was a guy with a history of violence, knife attacks, drug and alcohol problems, then in one late stint in jail (he was in at least 4 jails since age 18, mainly for stabbing) he became converted to Islam, by fellow prisoners we can assume. Then he stabbed some more people. what a surprise.
The Westminster attacker teaching in Saudi Arabia suggests that he was part of a community, it is important to know that hiding our heads in the sand when the ideological motives for these repeated attacks are so obvious is not going to help protect the vast majority of innocent muslims - suspicion from this deliberate ignorance will merely be cast against them all, instead of against these violent individuals.

The commonalities seem to be disenfranchisement (could be self-inflicted, but it's still a thing), mental instability and radicalization, but that radicalization often seems to be by like-minded unstable peers rather than a formal community.
With obvious exception to ISIS volunteer fighters, who were young, well-educated, wealthy and being more well-off and connected increased likelihood of radicalization, with radicalization itself often occurring through student societies. They are a far larger concern than mentally ill lone-wolves, indeed radical preachers and propaganda producers are a greater concern.

So it could be the case that any form of stable social support, e.g. a mosque or other community that you're connected to acts as a buffer to harmful outbursts. e.g. a mosque had members who are men, women, children, young and old. Whereas the social group of the two British "jihadis" of recent attacks both seem to have consisted of male same-age peers who likely also had mental issues, rather than being part of what we'd call a community.
Only in so far as the mosque itself is free from radical influences. With the translation of the koran into native languages being forbidden, often a lot of these mentally ill or disenfranchised individuals, who are zealous converts who cannot read arabic, are utterly dependent upon clerics for their interpretation of Islam. Not just in Western countries mind you, this is especially true in non-Arab Muslim countries, one of my friends was stunned to find Indonesian kids for example being made to reciting when they had no idea what the hell they were saying meant. This is an issue when the clerics want them to kill the infidels. Often too, given the dogmatic approach to holy canon in large branches of the religion, will read and interpret everything in a rather fundamentalist way. It is perhaps useful, if in danger of muddying the waters of clear distinction, to draw comparison between today's "radicalization" and the dilemmas enlightenment era America faced. Its protestants embraced rationalism, humanism and so forth, yet the American populations spread so thin with few historical institutions to bind them, were prone to religious fundamentalism - paradoxically growing communities that would most fiercely reject the very same rational principles their countrymen had helped create. Thus sects like Salafi Islam which wish to return to a pure fundamentalist romantic image of the past, wherein Islam was world-conquering and its followers pure and zealous, can be noted to have appeared as reactions to previous Islamic sects being undermined by modernism and post-modernist thoughts. The West then has many major barriers to face to ever deal with such zealotry the same way they dealt with apocalyptic or fundamentalist Christian cults. The first and foremost is that of state support and quantity, Christian fundamentalists like the Westborough Baptist Church for example have 40 members, Salafi jihadis number 10 million and Salafis number in the tens of millions from Sweden to Bangladesh - being not a dying cause, but the fastest growing religion today. One which has the backing of a particular wealthy state:
"The European Parliament, in a report commissioned in 2013, claimed that Wahhabi and Salafi groups are involved, mainly via Saudi charities, in the 'support and supply of arms to rebel groups around the world.'
The other major issue is that most Western academics have zero way to challenge any extremism as they would an extremist Christian sect, for starters there is the PC angle and for seconds they don't speak arabic. There is no justice in seeking to crush adherents of a faith over mass murderers, even given the ideological motive, things are not nearly bad enough to justify abandoning such a fundamental right as the freedom of belief. Still, there exist some very basic civil challenges that could be made that are not made, and laws which could be enforced which are not enforced, largely out of Western terror, whether fear of being killed or fear of being called racist - which is another form of ideological extremism entirely. While I agree the prospect of an overreaction is more dangerous to Western states than some of the attacks, simply doing nothing and allowing extremist networks to become better organized, better connected and increasing the population of disenfranchised Muslims is simply going to ensure not only that the attacks continue increasing in pace, but the state will increasingly grow weaker until there are cracks to be filled by criminals and fighters - much like Sweden struggles with today.

Not to mention the fact that I literally can't think of a better way to spawn a bunch of armed insurgencies, other than something insane like mass executions of suspected muslims.
Given the level of gun control, any successful weapon procurement efforts are likely to attract attention which would come with immediate crackdown. A disarmed populace does not an insurgency make.

And not getting to move to Europe is not a punishment, Sheb. That kind of thinking really reveals how much you look down on the rest of the world.
If not a punishment, what is it?
If you had a choice rescinded because of something one of your countrymen did, someone you have no knowledge of, never met, how would you take it?
Perhaps it reveals more about what Sheb thinks about that logic than what he thinks of the rest of the world.
A choice rescinded? The entire world is not entitled to live in Europe regardless of whether Europeans having not invited, allowed them in or even having rejected or previously deported them. If we are to tell all EU citizens that their countries belong to whoever wishes without their consultation or permission needed, how would they take it? I daresay, we see their reaction now - it is an ugly thing

Not multiculturalism in itself, but rather the current implementation.
Take for example the US. You wouldn't have Halloween, Mardi Gras or even basketball if it wasn't for multiculturalism. Or donuts. Or pretzels. Or pizza.
It's wrong to think that cultural exchange or cultivation requires mass immigration to occur, it occurs irregardless, and to justify policy that will decide the course of civilization on your present day culinary tastes is to lend credence to the argument that Westerners do not deserve the west, and it should rightfully be inherited by migrants who do not support policy in exchange for pizza or pretzels.

And if you want to bring up historical travesties we could be here all day discussing the UKs :P
No we wouldn't, because you buckle the moment someone asks you to back anything up with facts.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5894 on: May 24, 2017, 09:25:00 am »

Or even Swedens, given that Scriver is Swedish.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 09:28:14 am by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 793