Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1002054 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #6375 on: August 04, 2017, 09:33:05 am »

I dont even know what's supposed to be different about thin crust pizza from ordinary pizza. Some pizza are thin all over. Some pizza are a bit puffier at the edges. Is that what you mean?
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6376 on: August 04, 2017, 09:35:43 am »

Going the other direction, do you have thin crust Pizza in Europe or do you consider that heresy? ;)
They have two kinds of crust here. Standard, which is the hersesy that Americans dare call pizza, but is in fact low-sugar donut dough or something like that. It's disgusting. And then they have 'Italian crust', which is basically the same, but rolled out thinner.

It keeps confusing me. WIth a culture made up of quite a few Italian immigrants, how did the US get pizza so wrong?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6377 on: August 04, 2017, 09:46:49 am »

They didn't, because thin crust is plenty prolific. We didn't get things wrong, we just got them more right :V

What, you've never heard of New York Pizza? That's like the McDonalds of Pizza, they're everywhere.
... in any case, double checking some things I'm not actually sure if I've seen that pizza chain or not. There's two different variations of New York Pizza <something> in the nearest city-ish thing, but I can't seem to tell if they're part of the chain or not.

It actually looks kinda' doubtful, since the company itself being lawed at is apparently headquartered in the netherlands and has only been around since '93 -- and I'm pretty sure one of the new york somethings in the mentioned town has been there longer than that, heh.

There also doesn't actually seem to be a chain specifically named that of note, or at all, stateside. Some variation on the name is borderline generic so far as pizza joints go over here, but I'm pretty sure most of them aren't particularly related.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6378 on: August 04, 2017, 09:53:06 am »

It actually looks kinda' doubtful, since the company itself being lawed at is apparently headquartered in the netherlands and has only been around since '93 -- and I'm pretty sure one of the new york somethings in the mentioned town has been there longer than that, heh.
That's not unusual. The Netherlands is the tax refuge for a lot of US chains. Apple has it's hq in the Netherlands as well, and so does Google, purely to dodge taxes. We call them 'mailbox companies'. There's been a public cry-out (and EU pressure) to stop being a tax refuge, but little political will to actually do something about it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6379 on: August 04, 2017, 10:01:27 am »

Oh, sure, but as near as I can tell that's not happening in this case. The New York Pizza being referenced is, as near as I can tell, largely a strictly european chain. Going by what google translate is spitting out when pointed to the history bit in the about section of their site, the company just straight up didn't exist until '93, and their first joint was in amsterdam. Chain itself looks a lot like it's limited to the netherlands and a bit of germany.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:03:13 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6380 on: August 04, 2017, 10:05:38 am »

They didn't, because thin crust is plenty prolific. We didn't get things wrong, we just got them more right :V

Hehehe, the best kind of viewpoint.

I've never heard of any pizza chain called "New York Puzza" either so that might be a Holland only chain. But then again I've isolated myself on the countryside for years now so I don't exactly have a huge familiarity with what kind of fast food chains there is in the bigger cities.

Also what, doughnut dough? The fuck? How could you ever even serve pizza on something so soft and spungy and moist pastry?
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6381 on: August 04, 2017, 10:10:16 am »

Eh, it can work. There's tougher donuts if you're not after the softer sort, and most of its consistency et al has more to do with the cooking and the extra bits than the primary component. The dough itself for pizza isn't really the exact same sort, though, or at least the prep's different enough it's hard to think them the same.

... usually, anyway. Someone out there's probably just straight up made a pizza crust out of donuts. I've certainly put donuts on pizza, before. Was tasty.
Ask not!
Ask!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6382 on: August 04, 2017, 10:41:13 am »

The biggest problem with making pizza from doughnut dough is that you miss out on all the content that's supposed to go where the hole is now.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6383 on: August 04, 2017, 10:46:40 am »

D... donut dough doesn't come with a hole in it. The things don't even necessarily have a hole at all. Like, I'm guessing you know that, but just to be sure...

In any case, what's done is fill the hole with more dough and delicious accompanying pizzabits. Kinda' like a creme filled donut or donut hole or somethin', just... pizza-y.
Ask not!
Ask!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6384 on: August 04, 2017, 10:49:14 am »

Also just so like. We're clear. American pizza isn't made with donut dough on the whole. That's like. Also considered a weird thing here. Pizza donuts. Frumples talked about this before. So I guess it's a thing for him. But it's not a super common american past time thing. It's a classic Frumple. Sounds like it could be good though.

You know. To not mislead our friends from overseas...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6385 on: August 04, 2017, 10:56:37 am »

I make pizza exclusively with organic vegan locust flower paninis
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6386 on: August 04, 2017, 11:18:48 am »

Also just so like. We're clear. American pizza isn't made with donut dough on the whole. That's like. Also considered a weird thing here. Pizza donuts. Frumples talked about this before. So I guess it's a thing for him. But it's not a super common american past time thing. It's a classic Frumple. Sounds like it could be good though.

You know. To not mislead our friends from overseas...
Thoooough, pizza bagels actually are somewhat common (or at least not particularly unusual) over here, just to throw some confusion into things. There's bread things with holes in them that get pizzabits put on 'em, there's just usually not sweet things involved, too (save to the extent pineapple or somethin' gets tossed around, anyway).

But yeah, generally donuts don't really get mixed up with pizza unless someone involved is very bored and has an excess of leftover pizza and donuts. Like, maybe the dough does, but far as I'm aware most dough-things (particularly restaurant dough-things) don't really involve many different kinds of dough, just particular ways of preparing one or two sorts.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:20:38 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6387 on: August 04, 2017, 11:30:56 am »

Just don't ask any Europeans what they think lemonade is.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6388 on: August 04, 2017, 11:34:30 am »

Just don't ask any Europeans what they think lemonade is.
Looked this up and honestly we should have left the Europeans to the soviets.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6389 on: August 04, 2017, 11:50:40 am »

... kinda' looks like it's just lemon soda? Which isn't much like lemonade, but I'unno if it's worth the gulags.

We even more or less got the stuff (right down to calling it the same thing), I think, we just tend to dye it. Minute maid pink lemonade type stuff. If I was feelin' frisky I could pick some up in the drink aisle of, if not the nearest grocery story, then at least the nearest non-mom-and-pops one.

Wanted the exact same it'd take going a bit further out and hitting up one of those import-junk joints, but still doable.

E: Actually think there might some kind of mexican/south american import thing that's about that, too. J-something for the common brand name that seems to be ending up in the US?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:53:20 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 424 425 [426] 427 428 ... 793