Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 793

Author Topic: The friendly and polite Europe related terrible jokes thread  (Read 1008858 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: The friendly and polite EU-related terrible jokes thread
« Reply #8910 on: October 19, 2018, 02:45:01 pm »

Next up: Alex Jones hires Farage to be his Minister of Gay Frog Water.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8911 on: October 19, 2018, 03:00:09 pm »

Next up: Alex Jones hires Farage to be his Minister of Gay Frog Water.
Gay Frog Water? French Wine?

*EDIT
In more serious news, the West Yorkshire grooming gang have been jailed for their roles in targeting British girls into child prostitution. Many of the perpetrators are still yet to be found, as their victims couldn't identify them because they never spoke English. These activities have been going on nationwide for the last 40 years and despite the victims continually coming forward to police, judges - one even wrote to the Prime Minister, they were ignored until a Times reporter collected enough evidence to force our politicians' hands in 2012. Prior to that, we had MPs who investigated the matter threatened with prosecution for hate speech, while after the Times blew the lid we had police concoct ridiculous stories about how thieves broke in to steal important records - and only the records which happened to deal with them turning a blind eye to Pakistani grooming gangs out of fears of being called racist. Whether Labour or Conservative MPs, both have over the course of the years had their careers ended by trying to speak out on the matter, most recently with the Labour Shadow Secretary for Women and Equality Sarah Champion. The aptly named Sarah Champion concluded that government officials had been paralysed by the fear of being called racist instead of tackling child abuse, the consequence was her being called racist and subsequently being forced to resign from her post. Rather poetic tbqh
Coverage of the grooming gangs has been by and large muted, owing to court orders for silence and much of the media companies being rather embarrassed by being seen as racist or having been complicit in the coverup, but it'll rarely compare to the sheer hell I'll rarely forget of a girl being booed by a BBC studio audience for saying her friend's handlers were Pakistani. It doesn't even matter if Pakistani researchers or female MPs or even the victims come forward, year after year any time one of them has urged an inquiry into the matter they've been quashed rather quietly and swept under the rug. I have no hope for the future and fully expect the majority of grooming gang members to die of old age as free men and not only will the majority of the public not care; they will not even know it happened
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:07:45 pm by Loud Whispers »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8912 on: October 19, 2018, 10:07:25 pm »

@Reelya: Well, it is the UK. Dental hygiene isn't exactly a national value.  :P

Lol, it's funny but in fact the truth is the opposite. Brits get dental coverage under NHS, Americans do not. You get stories about people in the USA with middle-class jobs doing home dentist work because it's so expensive.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/dec/17/british-teeth-us-dentistry-oral-health

Study squashes myth of terrible dentistry as it finds Americans have more missing teeth and worse oral health if poor
The study showed that the average number of missing teeth was significantly higher in the US (7.31) than in England (6.97), and that people were more likely to suffer poor dental health because of socioeconomic factors if they lived in the US.

Free market to the rescue. And by rescue, I mean that the free market rescues us from having to see all the Americans with missing teeth on television.

They added: “There is a longstanding belief in the United States that the British have terrible teeth, much worse than US citizens. This view dates back at least 100 years, with toothpaste adverts extolling the virtues of American smiles. Contemporary examples of this belief in popular US culture range from The Simpsons to the Hollywood character Austin Powers and his repugnant smile.”

So it turns out to be a pre-WWI myth spread by toothpaste companies. I guess that good densitry is a national value of the USA in a similar sense to all those aspirational sitcoms about people becoming millionaires and living in mansions. :D

But i guess the stereotypes go both ways. When i think of toothless people, the go-to image is of rural Americans, not the British.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:18:47 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8913 on: October 19, 2018, 10:22:12 pm »

NHS dental coverage does however have asterisks attached to coverage based off of age & services, while the Tories are determined to privatise it all anyways. Free market takes no prisoners

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8914 on: October 19, 2018, 10:25:27 pm »

NHS and other public health systems still offer more than the USA does. I'm reading that the USA's Medicaid program has no requirements whatsoever for adult dental care (unless the state involved spends their own additional money on it), however they are required to provide dental care for children under the program. So, your kids can get dental, that's all, assuming you qualify for medicaid, which isn't a given.

USA's Medicare program for seniors doesn't cover almost any dental stuff either, unless you're in hospital for another reason and they have to do certain dental things because of that. The entire medicare webpage on dental is exactly one paragraph long saying that it's not covered:

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/dental-services
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:31:34 pm by Reelya »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8916 on: October 22, 2018, 01:32:31 pm »

Merkel urges other European leaders to cease selling weapons to Saudi Arabia altogether in light of Khashoggi being dismembered by 16 Saudi agents in a Turkish embassy
1. Paywalled
2. It was a Saudi consulate in Turkey, not a Turkish embassy
3. Have the Turks released the proof that he was dismembered, that they have claimed to have?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8917 on: October 22, 2018, 01:48:25 pm »

Merkel urges other European leaders to cease selling weapons to Saudi Arabia altogether in light of Khashoggi being dismembered by 16 Saudi agents in a Turkish embassy
1. Paywalled
2. It was a Saudi consulate in Turkey, not a Turkish embassy
3. Have the Turks released the proof that he was dismembered, that they have claimed to have?

They said they were going to do that tomorrow, though I didn't hear anything about it being specifically proof that he was dismembered.

They HAVE however, released evidence showing a 'body double' walking around after Khashoggi was killed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8918 on: October 28, 2018, 01:45:16 pm »

American tourist from Louisiana foils heist attempt of an original copy of the Magna Carta

The new sequel to National Treasure is looking pretty good tbh

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8919 on: October 28, 2018, 01:50:54 pm »

Salisbury Cathedral has said it is to review its security after a man tried to steal a Magna Carta.

How many of these have you been hiding from us? Is this just the tip of the Salisberg?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8920 on: October 28, 2018, 01:54:13 pm »

Salisbury Cathedral has said it is to review its security after a man tried to steal a Magna Carta.

How many of these have you been hiding from us? Is this just the tip of the Salisberg?
While there are numerous subsequent copies, there are four surviving officially attested copies in the name of the king.  In addition to this one, the British Library has two and a fourth is at the Lincoln Cathedral.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8921 on: October 28, 2018, 03:14:27 pm »

American tourist from Louisiana foils heist attempt
What? I don't get it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8922 on: October 28, 2018, 03:43:10 pm »

What? I don't get it.

Inventor of the glass? The article doesn't mention a tourist, so, I don't get it either.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8923 on: October 28, 2018, 04:05:17 pm »

What? I don't get it.
Inventor of the glass? The article doesn't mention a tourist, so, I don't get it either.
BBC, the well known Russian propaganda alt-news, censored the glorious freedom totin hero of the day

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8924 on: October 28, 2018, 04:09:06 pm »

What? I don't get it.
BBC, the well known Russian propaganda alt-news, censored the glorious freedom totin hero of the day

Well, you're the one who linked the BBC article...
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 793