Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 779

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 859527 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #8430 on: December 18, 2020, 06:12:53 am »

a can is just a tin mussel
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #8431 on: December 18, 2020, 06:56:42 am »

I managed to open the can partially and extracted the contents by repeatedly shaking it up and down to get the sardine in it to mush up enough to exit through the small opening I made. On one hand, it did look like wet cat food. On the other hand, it did taste like canned sardines in tomato sauce. Compared to baked beans and eggs, it actually tasted like food. I have no regrets.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8432 on: December 18, 2020, 04:21:01 pm »

On todays commute home I realized that wow have I missed this place. So I came back.
This is a blank sig.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #8433 on: December 18, 2020, 04:36:06 pm »

I bought cans of sardines without realizing that some of them don't have pull tabs. And I chose to try to eat one without a pull tab. I don't have a can opener. Fuck. I'm so tempted to go full caveman style on this can to get it to open.

ALWAYS go full caveman!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8434 on: December 18, 2020, 04:57:52 pm »

i been a bit more active for two days and I feel thoroughly pissed it wasn't even something or somebody in particular but nothing ever just works and I'm super cranky

Man, I know that feeling.

I am considering cancelling my ongoing appointments with my current therapist.

I'm not looking forward to finding another one, though.  Seems like a weekly check is more important to them.  Most of them don't understand ASD outside of maybe a day's lecture at college or a chapter of a book they read, and they aren't willing to expand beyond that.  They think depression means half of what I say isn't true even if I could prove it with actual facts or sources.  So much advice they want to give is so useless because we don't live in boomer-land anymore but they don't want to hear that.  Even if half my problems are caused by societal issues they think pills will solve them, even when psychiatry has proven itself to be nothing but trouble and borderline pseudoscience.

I've been through at least five by now and I'm starting to think its folly to expect anything better from these people.  My current therapist tried to sell me on how being autistic is a "blessing" (its literally never been good) and how being obsessed with board games is supposed to be useful, even though 30 minutes ago I told her my collection collects dust and wastes space because I never have people to play with and most games I'd play are too complex anyway.  Then I had to explain to her how having fun via board games is largely pointless when I couldn't afford a roof over my head, apparently the hierarchy of needs is something that needs explaining to alleged psychology graduates.

Yeah, it doesn't help that there isn't much research being done because "fuck people who aren't normal", and the ones you talk to aren't the ones doing any research. A lot of them also try to cure trauma problems with mindfulness, and concentrating on what's happening. I assume you can figure out why that practice isn't useful when "what's happening" is "my brain is freaking out because a bad thing that reminds me of trauma is happening again."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8435 on: December 18, 2020, 05:21:17 pm »

I managed to open the can partially and extracted the contents by repeatedly shaking it up and down to get the sardine in it to mush up enough to exit through the small opening I made. On one hand, it did look like wet cat food. On the other hand, it did taste like canned sardines in tomato sauce. Compared to baked beans and eggs, it actually tasted like food. I have no regrets.

You are a survivor, mate. You are the fittest caveman!
Love, scriver~

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8436 on: December 19, 2020, 12:22:54 pm »

One of the fans in my laptop is apparently dying. It's been making some bad noises for a few months now, but as of yesterday it sounds like a freaking prop plane preparing for takeoff. There were also a couple of very concerning (if brief) screeching noises. It seems to occasionally throttle the CPU because of the fan, even if it's not particularly hot. I might try opening it up and cleaning it, but from what I've seen online, this model is not very repair-friendly.

Between this and the keyboard that stopped working after getting water on it, it's probably time to upgrade.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8437 on: December 19, 2020, 12:48:12 pm »

One of the fans in my laptop is apparently dying. It's been making some bad noises for a few months now, but as of yesterday it sounds like a freaking prop plane preparing for takeoff. There were also a couple of very concerning (if brief) screeching noises. It seems to occasionally throttle the CPU because of the fan, even if it's not particularly hot. I might try opening it up and cleaning it, but from what I've seen online, this model is not very repair-friendly.

Between this and the keyboard that stopped working after getting water on it, it's probably time to upgrade.

I wouldn't count on cleaning it being enough, but you might want to open it up carefully to see what's involved yourself. I recently replaced a laptop fan for the first time (and repasted the heatsink), and it wasn't that overwhelming. The biggest obstacle was getting a screwdriver with a bit small enough for the fan screws (I ended up needing to get a slightly overkill kit from Best Buy). I also wore an anti-static wristband.

If you go on using the laptop at all (first backing everything up onto an external/online drive) you need to listen very carefully to the fan and monitor the core temperatures in case it dies completely, and shut down immediately. I was very lucky and caught mine before anything fried (it had been making noises for a while as well). It's really better not to risk it at all, and try replacing the fan ASAP.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8438 on: December 19, 2020, 02:06:55 pm »

Are you me from the past? I had exactly the same issue on "frankenputer" (so called as it is about 3 broken laptops bodged together to retrogame on). After dropping it, a handful of the fan blades snapped off, and became lodged in the fan assembly. Opening the casing and removing them was a trivial fix that allows the fan to work well enough without "skkkkrttttkklakklakklakgrrrrrrrt" noises. Maybe some of yours are loose\misaligned.

Said laptop also had water spillage on the integrated keyboard. One budget USB keyboard and some hot glue gun action later, and a functional repair was effected.
This is a blank sig.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8439 on: December 20, 2020, 11:10:23 pm »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:11:15 pm by dragdeler »
let

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8440 on: December 20, 2020, 11:51:08 pm »

This has never happened to me before, but the understanding demonstrated on the calculus finals I am grading is so limited that I am questioning why I showed up for the past 3 months.

(Obviously a lot of the problem, perhaps all of the problem here is that we're doing online learning. But the midterms were pretty good. These are bad.)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8441 on: December 22, 2020, 12:33:06 am »

Calc AB or BC? Or is this university level calc?

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8442 on: December 22, 2020, 01:03:25 am »

Yeah, I'm doing my first quarter of a math PhD and TAing for an intro calc course. It's pretty similar content-wise to Calc AB or Calc BC, but as it's one of those massive ~250 person lecture courses and we have to get grades turned around in 72 hours, there's still some novelty.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8443 on: December 22, 2020, 01:43:27 am »

Change, ugh.

Finally decided to upgrade my harddrives in my computer to SSDs, and finally get on Windows 10. This is always an ordeal for me, and I've been dreading it and putting it off for months since my brother bought me an SSD for Christmas. (Which turned into 2 SSDs because of a shipping mistake.) Because I knew I'd spend the next 2 days obsessing about it and troubleshooting it.

Spent the first part of the day copying data around my other drives, formatting stuff, making checklists. Trying to have all my ducks in a row.

Forgot to give power to the drives (classic) but then get it fired up. Fiddle with the boot order.

Get Windows 10 installed. Get stuck with a root user name that I hate (because fuck you Microsoft that's why), and even though it has no real bearing on anything, I can't help but see it staring at me from the address bar of my NEW everything. Would take registry changes and what not to rename all the user folders folders and I honestly can't be assed to. But it still irritates.

Spent at least half an hour going through all the setting pages and turning off pretty much everything.

Spent at least an hour trying to disable Cortana from doing anything. Getting the Windows search bar to not fucking Bing search every word I type eventually also took registry edits to achieve, which I felt was worth the time.

Tried to access some stuff from my C:\users\ backup on the backup drive and Windows 10 has the gall to tell me I don't have the permission to. It somehow recognized that folder on a diff drive as a Windows drive and refused my new Windows 10 user access. After asking for access and waiting about 4 minutes, I finally just gave up and nuked it, since I couldn't get to anything underneath it. Little did I realize until later that's where I kept the Windows Media Player playlists I've been generating for the last oh, 10 years.....I probably could have tried to grant my new user access to it but ah well.

My PC keeps thinking that after a reboot it can't find the drive with Windows on it, thanks to Windows wonderful ability to see an old operating system installed on a completely different drive. Which I'd deleted after getting Windows 10 running, I formatted the Windows 7 data (on a different drive!) and that apparently mattered to my new Windows 10 install (on a different drive!!!11111)

Spend a good couple hours downloading software and drivers and installing shit while trying to figure out why Windows keeps failing to find the installation drive. Fiddle with the boot order some more. Read more online articles. Think I finally get it figured out, maybe. Spend time trying to find a browser theme for Waterfox that I like and have used for years but now for some reason won't install.

So now I'm going through my music and listening to stuff I haven't heard in probably 15+ years, rebuilding playlists, install software as it comes to me, getting nostalgic for a much simpler, more magical time while my games download. And in doing this quiet reflection time, I found a folder amongst all my music where I backed up my playlists from some time ago. So clearly, past me went through this at some point. Half if not all of them them will probably be broken because of the file paths but w/e.

Change. It's painful and kinda beautiful at the same time. What a weird way to be spending time off of work.

But seriously, Windows 10 can fuck right off. This is just the first day and I've found dozens of wastes of my time to troubleshoot functionality.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 02:14:32 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8444 on: December 22, 2020, 04:00:49 am »

Fuck computers, man, and all the inexplicable annoying things that crop up around them.
Pages: 1 ... 561 562 [563] 564 565 ... 779