Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 778

Author Topic: Things that made you mildly upset today thread  (Read 855519 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you mildly upset today thread
« Reply #9945 on: June 04, 2022, 09:28:47 am »

Fuckin hell that's a lot of gin missing from the bottle.  Okay, what's the damage...

I waxed poetic about elves and storms while comforting a discord friend... which was responded to in kind?  Interesting
I blundered back into the gun politics debate with a "fuck the founding fathers and also I love you guys"... alright
Where the hell did I find all this music?  This always happens

Welp, could be a lot worse.  Also I'm glad my Discord friend isn't going to jail.  Ze's got mandatory AA meetings, which is total theocracy bull, but ze *was* drunk driving so yeah.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9946 on: June 06, 2022, 02:54:09 pm »

Egh, I have some pretty deep-seated self respect/self worth issues, and I'm pretty unhappy with the small box I've painted myself into again, careerwise, literally physically (my room is small), in interests, etc. I feel... Consistently inadequate? I wonder if this is why I've always felt I've needed external validation so badly.

Also, I guess I'm a semi-regular user of THC now and I'm not sure how okay with that I am? Not that there's anything wrong with it alone, but... me using it is somehow different? Not that it'll help me get out of the above rut, except for where I made the above realization somewhat uncomfortably while spending entirely too much of my sunday playing Doom 1994.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9947 on: June 06, 2022, 03:08:19 pm »

THC is only a problem if you let it become one. There's times you need your brain on and thinking, and there are times you want it turned off.

Stick to being sober where there's shit to do, and only using THC when you know you've earned the fuck-it-time, and all will be well.

If you find yourself not making plans to get shit done because you'd rather get high and play video games, then it might be becoming an issue for you.

But getting high on a Sunday and playing DOOM? I can't think of a better time for it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9948 on: June 06, 2022, 03:26:50 pm »

Also, I guess I'm a semi-regular user of THC now and I'm not sure how okay with that I am? Not that there's anything wrong with it alone, but... me using it is somehow different? Not that it'll help me get out of the above rut, except for where I made the above realization somewhat uncomfortably while spending entirely too much of my sunday playing Doom 1994.

I think of it as a little vacation to look forward to each day: the hour before I'm falling asleep and need to start working on producing sleepy brain chemicals, but can't actually sleep yet. Time to put away the phone and play a game or watch an episode of a show or pet the cats.

If you're at all worried about your usage for legitimate reasons (not just "I wasn't in the right headspace and my trip through the clouds went to anxietyville") the first step is to commit to using your stuff while with friends :V But you're probably OK. Don't you think?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9949 on: June 06, 2022, 03:52:00 pm »

Oh yeah, it's not an issue by that such metric, I only ever use it for leisure time. It's the image of it, I suppose? I just didn't imagine myself being the person quietly puffing on a pen on a Sunday. It's illogical, or conservative upbringing. Not the sort of thing I'd tell the rest of my family about, y'know?

Which, again- I know on the face of it that there's nothing wrong with the use thereof. I think nothing less of the people whom I know do. It's just different somehow because it's me, yeah?

I'm pretty offline when I do though, and I know I've missed callouts for gaming with my siblings on occasion, but that's a consequence of being terminally online, I suppose.

But also, generally, I don't aspire for much, and have always grappled with that in itself, but that's prolly related to the self worth thing. Reckon it's time to revisit my favorite existentialists, mm.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9950 on: June 06, 2022, 03:56:37 pm »

Would you tell your family you down a six-pack of beer every weekend?
I know lots of people that say that with pride.

So...I think you're OK.

Plus, check out videos of live events.  There are TONS of people smoking out of a pen.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9951 on: June 06, 2022, 04:30:07 pm »

I just didn't imagine myself being the person quietly puffing on a pen on a Sunday. It's illogical, or conservative upbringing. Not the sort of thing I'd tell the rest of my family about, y'know?

Already touched on, but....picture yourself drinking a 6 pack and being a drunk doing what you're already doing, and developing a beer belly after a couple years. Does that make you feel better about what most people typically do? I imagine not.

A vice is a vice but frankly after watching so many people ruin their bodies and mind with regular alcohol consumption....as long as you don't become a pot head burn out, I think you're on the higher ground with THC. Despite what the remaining conservative elements of society may still believe.

But also, generally, I don't aspire for much, and have always grappled with that in itself, but that's prolly related to the self worth thing. Reckon it's time to revisit my favorite existentialists, mm.

There's a reason they call weed the "Fuck it" drug. If you're worried about not having any real aspirations....weed isn't going to help you with that. It does make you lazier and makes you cool with what you're doing right now, instead of being anxious about what you're not doing.

That's something only you can figure out. I know lots of high functioning motivated people who also smoke weed. And I know a lot of unmotivated MFers who aren't interested in going anywhere else in life, that also happen to smoke weed.

My take is weed tends to deepen or enhance your already inherent personality traits. If you were unmotivated before, weed can make you even less motivated. If you were highly motivated before, weed can accentuate that motivation. I know people that get high and want to go DO SHIT. Then I know people who get high and just want to melt into their couch/gaming chair. Neither is wrong, unless you come to think it's wrong.

Play hard, work harder. That's the advice that was given to me by the person that got me into smoking weed. It's kept me well all these years. And I say that as a low aspiration, inherently unmotivated person who, if given the chance, would serve my creature comforts over something less tangible.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 04:43:17 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9952 on: June 06, 2022, 05:07:39 pm »

Thanks, everyone. I'll keep this in mind as I work towards accepting myself better, and understanding where not to accept complacency.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9953 on: June 06, 2022, 05:22:06 pm »

Yeah, my experience has been that ... I get on a low-level THC/CBD combo and I get an urge to:

1. Take care of myself physically and emotionally (eg drink water, eat when I've been struggling to eat)
2. Clean the house ?! and answer emails I've been forgetting about?
3. Make sure my friends and animals are doing OK and are also properly snuggled up and fed
4. Just kinda chillax on the couch with a cup of tea and a novel for a bit
5. Sleep like a normal person and not a maniac who wakes up with panic attacks at 2 AM every single day

I dunno, it's been a journey. It's only been about a week for me but at this point I realized that it's somehow, chemically, exposing a side to me that is very deeply embedded in my personality and that ... I actually like? I feel like I've become emotionally freer during the times when I'm not "under the influence," which is pretty much all the time except an hour before bed/nighttime.

I don't really wanna use it recreationally any more than I use alcohol recreationally (virtually never). But it's not a bad thing to see that, when my pretenses are stripped away, what I feel like doing is ... being nice.

The last thing I want to say is that resting is very important. Very, very, very important. With global warming and whatnot we need to learn how to live differently and expect most "little luxuries" to cost their true price, eg a lot more. It hurts no one to sit around smoking for a bit and resting. In fact, it hurts YOU not to find ways to rest, and look ... an immediate crisis is the only scenario under which it might be reasonable not to rest. But in normal times, resting and relaxing should be a normal part of every single day and if it isn't so, it's time to look for ways to make it so.

uwu
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9954 on: June 06, 2022, 06:00:53 pm »

First off, I got no problem whatsoever with people using marijuana.  I basically equate it with alcohol: It's a recreational substance that people enjoy.

But, I thought this might a helpful story to share.

It seems in today's culture, there is almost a push for everyone to use and like marijuana.  Which is fine.
But not everyone likes the stuff.
Much like alcohol, some people really should NEVER use marijuana.  It all depends on how it affects you.

I waited many years to try marijuana.
Turns out, it makes me SUPER PARANOID and I feel AWFUL.  For me, it sucks.
Just thought I'd mention that, in case anyone else is wondering "Why am I the only one not enjoying this stuff?" It is not just you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9955 on: June 06, 2022, 06:20:53 pm »

Like... yeah. I haven't (won't) used alcohol or weed, but the closest I've come to it (laughing gas, opioid painkillers post surgery, some of the antidepressants, etc.) have all just been... miserable experiences. Literal excercises in existential horror at worst, slow experiments in debilitating side effects that offered only marginal improvements in fuctionality at best. The best I can say is they're better than crippling pain, in the sense it's better to be kicked in the shin by a person than kicked in the crotch by a horse. Some folks just don't react well to certain substances.

And that's okay, just like it's okay that some folks do, so long as it's not actively harming folks around them.

... do hope the shroom/LSD/whatever that was experiments for anti-depression and whatnot treatments end up working as well as it's been looking like they might, though. Like, if we actually manage to figure out a way to clear up a lot of that shit without all the nasty problems our current attempts like to have... it'd be a goddamn godsend, signs it's time to worship the shroom god 'cause the rest of those fuckers didn't pony up.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #9956 on: June 06, 2022, 07:07:53 pm »

I waited many years to try marijuana.
Turns out, it makes me SUPER PARANOID and I feel AWFUL.  For me, it sucks.
Just thought I'd mention that, in case anyone else is wondering "Why am I the only one not enjoying this stuff?" It is not just you.

Yeah, it's certainly not for everyone.

Also, it might be that at one point of your life it works, but then at some later point it doesn't work the same way and you get shitty feelings from it. This happened to me (smoked pretty rarely) and I stopped for many years (got paranoid and anxious). Now I've picked up smoking again maybe around ten years later, though just as a means to fall asleep easier. No more shitty stuff (as long as I'm alone/at home) from it, sleep comes easy when I smoke (though it's not a permanent or optimal solution to my sleeping problems), and next day I feel normal (unless I packed up a too big hit -- then things are sluggish for the first couple waking hours).

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9957 on: June 06, 2022, 09:20:22 pm »

Oh, one of my exes had crippling anxiety and marijuana made it ten times worse, but alcohol made her cheerful and fun and spontaneous.

As for me, opioid class painkillers actually don't seem to do anything. Both times that I've been given them post-surgery I stopped taking them because they didn't seem to be having any effect... and although anti-depressants did save my life, once I moved from crippling depression to moderate depression, I looked at my situation and said: "I would rather be moderately depressed than keep doing these meds lol."

I literally only started using CBD edibles in the past week because I was strongly considering suicide to stop the PTSD-induced sleep-deprivation. Please don't take my endorsement as peer pressure, I'm mostly talking about it because I was very pleasantly surprised and in case there's anyone else on the forums in roughly the same boat.

It's a stopgap measure until they get those microdosed shroom experiments available for everyone. Trust me, I'll be the first in line.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9958 on: June 07, 2022, 04:53:28 am »

I sure as fuck hope the fuck they never will. Thst would be even worse than the current depression med situation
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9959 on: June 07, 2022, 04:59:06 am »

Just don't be like that absolute maverick who injected a boiled mushroom solution into his veins. Two days later he was suffering from organ failure and doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong until they clocked that the mushrooms were alive and growing in his blood

The doctors saved his life pretty easily after that by giving loads of powerful anti-fungals, thus stopping the creation of the world's first plump helmet man
Pages: 1 ... 662 663 [664] 665 666 ... 778