Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The save file gets corrupted by reclaims. Should the saga of Boarpaints come to an end now?

Hell yeah! Savescum and go for the candy!
- 2 (11.1%)
Let it end now, with NCommander's disastrous turn!
- 6 (33.3%)
Absolutely not! NEVAR GIVE UP, NEVAR SURRENDER!!!
- 9 (50%)
I don't care actually...
- 1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: July 11, 2016, 10:09:03 am

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44

Author Topic: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (v0.23a | FINALE COMING SOOOOOOOOON!)  (Read 116930 times)

Edward_Tohr

• Bay Watcher
  • Stuffs. Yarr!
    • View Profile
Re: !!THROWBACK FORTRESS!! (A Succession Game... in v0.23a???)
« Reply #390 on: June 17, 2016, 01:15:09 pm »

I am wondering how long it will take for people to realize there are no ghosts in this version and the chasm makes a nice mass grave.
I just like there being a visible representation of the absurd number of deaths we've had.
That, and I needed something to be in-progress at the end of my turn, and "enough coffins for everyone" seemed like a good idea. :P
Quietust, what would we ever do without you and your endless knowledge of v0.23a?
I was going to say "fail spectacularly", but you guys seem to be doing a great job of that already.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 21, 2016, 03:41:29 pm »

Hello there, and sorry, nothing much to report yet. Haven't had much time, but I've installed everything and checked that the save works. Also tried to get a clue of what's going on at the fort. Still not quite sure what I should do and what not, but whatever. I'm going to get going through this properly tomorrow.

And yeah, this is also my first time ever with the 2D version. I've heard that mining candy should be avoided and.. that's practically all I know about earlier versions. I guess this is going to be interesting! The controls sure are a bit wonkier in this one..

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 21, 2016, 05:29:24 pm »

Hello there, and sorry, nothing much to report yet. Haven't had much time, but I've installed everything and checked that the save works. Also tried to get a clue of what's going on at the fort. Still not quite sure what I should do and what not, but whatever. I'm going to get going through this properly tomorrow.

And yeah, this is also my first time ever with the 2D version. I've heard that mining candy should be avoided and.. that's practically all I know about earlier versions. I guess this is going to be interesting! The controls sure are a bit wonkier in this one..

Just a couple other things to keep in mind:

Floodgates work along the principle of "when open, start pumping liquids onto the ground until closed." This means that it can be very easy to accidentally flood everything with magma.
The dwarven economy might hit during your turn. This means that everything becomes infinitely more confusing. I highly suggest reading this if the economy hits.
Hostile creatures might pop out of the cave river, chasm, or magma river.

Good luck!
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #393 on: June 22, 2016, 09:24:51 pm »

Don't forget about cave-ins - if you mine out a 7x7 area, it will eventually collapse.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 24, 2016, 07:32:11 am »

Thanks for the advices! We're almost halfway done here. I'll propably do this in two updates, the first one should be ready in the near-future. I've already taken a bit too many screenshots, but I'm going to try not using them too much. It takes a load of time to edit and upload them..

So far we've had a small cave-in (I tried to prevent it), a mood and skirmishes against the unicorns.. and we uncovered this weird cyan metal. No worries, I didn't mine it. We've also minted quite many coins already, so I guess something interesting is bound to happen.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #395 on: June 24, 2016, 08:25:30 am »

Thanks for the advices! We're almost halfway done here. I'll propably do this in two updates, the first one should be ready in the near-future. I've already taken a bit too many screenshots, but I'm going to try not using them too much. It takes a load of time to edit and upload them..

So far we've had a small cave-in (I tried to prevent it), a mood and skirmishes against the unicorns.. and we uncovered this weird cyan metal. No worries, I didn't mine it. We've also minted quite many coins already, so I guess something interesting is bound to happen.

Uncovering the vein was not good, though I should have probably posted a warning that it was not a good idea to uncover it at all. The king will migrant come spring dressed as a peasant. Normally, what you can do to starve off the endgame is not go past the magma river, and wait. If you do get a king, you'll get a mandate to dig to the yellow line which brings you closer and closer to the candy.

Once you have the vein uncovered, we'll get a special mandate to make candy crafts which have a penalty of ten dwarfs executed every time its failed. Thus you either mine the candy, or the king has to have an unfortunate accident.

Alternatively, we can just patch out the "Too Deep" message, and go to town on the candy. The mechanics of candy crafting were somewhat different in 23a since its a completely different set of labors and skills I think.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #396 on: June 24, 2016, 09:36:54 am »

Dig a lovely 11x11 room for the king.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 24, 2016, 05:04:35 pm »

Uncovering the vein was not good, though I should have probably posted a warning that it was not a good idea to uncover it at all. The king will migrant come spring dressed as a peasant. Normally, what you can do to starve off the endgame is not go past the magma river, and wait. If you do get a king, you'll get a mandate to dig to the yellow line which brings you closer and closer to the candy.

Once you have the vein uncovered, we'll get a special mandate to make candy crafts which have a penalty of ten dwarfs executed every time its failed. Thus you either mine the candy, or the king has to have an unfortunate accident.

Alternatively, we can just patch out the "Too Deep" message, and go to town on the candy. The mechanics of candy crafting were somewhat different in 23a since its a completely different set of labors and skills I think.

I'm all for patching out the "Too deep" message, if we find a way to do it. Otherwise We'll just have to kill the king.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #398 on: June 24, 2016, 05:09:18 pm »

there is a patch, saw  it on the wiki
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 24, 2016, 05:42:53 pm »

I'm all for patching out the "Too deep" message, if we find a way to do it. Otherwise We'll just have to kill the king.

I'm partial to regicide or having to deal with the 10 dwarf kill rate, myself.  Latter would most certainly lead to some very fun situations.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 25, 2016, 02:26:24 pm »

Lost in Boarpaints - Random rambling of Vuohijumala put on paper, vol. I

1st - 7th of Limestone
I don't get it. They want me to be the overseer? I know nothing about running this place! There's propably something fishy about this.. The reason I came here in the first place was because I was promised a sheriff's vacancy. But they drafted me into the military instead! At least I'm the boss in my squad.. I guess I have to get on with it. Someone said we need to create more stuff, so we can trade it for other stuff. Fine, let's try creating some crafts. Some of the nobles also came to me and said we need coins, because they're real handy and fancy doing trade with. I check the forges and they're all busy doing barrels out of copper.

Out of copper. What the hell? Aren't they heavy as ****? Maybe there's a reason, which I just fail to understand. I shout at our smiths to mint some coins when they have the time.

Now what else? There's loads of hematite in the cavern walls.

Miners are doing busy work and they've already dug up quite much. Some random fellow comes to me and points out that this hole seriously needs supports, or else it might collapse. Yeah! Exactly what I was thinking too! Everyone, build some supports now!

I order about everything possible made. Trousers, mechanisms, barrels etc. At least I'll leave an impression of efficiency.

A child passed out for some reason. He seems to have a broken wrist. Why, I have no idea!

I cannot fathom why we sleep in such cramped quarters. As I'm the overseer now, I might as well improve my quality of living a bit at least and order a new room made.
Spoiler: How opulent! (click to show/hide)

Right, now that kid with wrist problems is throwing a tantrum at our gate. Apparently he has also lost his mother.
Spoiler: He's not that happy (click to show/hide)

Quite sad. Well - wait what was that? Something rumbled a bit. That's unsettling..

---

8th-21st of Limestone
The river floods! The mad kid throws a tantrum again! And actually nothing happens.. except that there's a sudden, huge rumbling as a cavern section collapses! It was the one that was just recently mined. Why hasn't anyone built those supports yet?! Thankfully no-one was under it..
Spoiler: I did my best! (click to show/hide)

A caravan arrives! Now, where was our trade depot again and what did we have for trade..

Apparently the caravan people wanted to witness the beautiful sight of unicorns and went south straight at them. One of their guards ran into their midst and is swinging her axe furiously at the creatures.. and the monohorns flee!

And then one of them has it enough and gives Tekkud a lesson. One of our Tekkuds also comes also at the scene, then decides to run away.

---

22nd of Limestone - 24th of Sandstone
A KOBOLD THIEF!
Spoiler: Right there! (click to show/hide)

He gets seen and runs straight towards the caravan.
Spoiler: He didn't make it (click to show/hide)

Then another one pops out of thin air! He runs into the fort, but stumbles into Ruykan. He kills the filthbag with three shots. Well done! Clearly I've taught you well.

Apparently the caravan didn't bring anything useful. Except food. Well, I guess we'll never have too much food. Old, nearly rotten clothing and some other stuff are thrown at them and they gladly accept.

We also have a pile of money literally littering the floor.

Weren't these things supposed to be valuable? Yet they've been dumped to the ground at some random place. Why did we mint them in the first place? The nobles are furious. Not at this thing though, apparently one of our masons is going to prison for not filling up a mandate. Serves you right, slacker! Why didn't you cut those rubies in time!

Migrants! Seven new persons! Miner, mechanic, hunters, a carpenter, a peasant with no skills at anything.. I guess we should fit them in somewhere. The peasant seems to be fairly willing to learn something new after I beat him with a crossbow had a constructive conversation with him. We need more smelters, so he's going to try his luck with that.

---

1st-28th of Timber
New month, still no idea what I really should do. We have fair amounts of resources, but I guess we could try searching for more metals. That means it's time to dig, boys! We pass the eerie chasm and designate mining locations. There's at least sapphires here, along with some eerie looking holes in the ground..

An antman appears! ..somewhere. There's a rock on one of our traps. Maybe he's hiding under it?

And then we have found it! The metal of metals they say! The miners seem to be a bit anxious, though. They were already a bit reluctant to dig past the farthest chasms. The demon attack some years ago seems to have stirred up quite much superstition around here, so apparently no one wants to touch that cyan stuff...
Spoiler: Location (click to show/hide)

Sibrek Tekkuderar has claimed a craftsdwarfs workshop for a special project of her.

Nobles demand a ban on cage export. Pshaw. They really don't seem to have anything important to do. Sibrek also is helplessly looking around his workshop. I guess he needs something. Apparently there's no wood around in the stockpiles anymore. We'll have to fix that.

---

1st -25th of Moonstone
The very first day of winter starts with a ruckus. Blasted unicorns! Our trapper Tun was out filling his waterskin and got brutalised. I am very tempted to open certain floodgates, but some reason in me decides not to. At least Tun shot one of the bastards before passing out.. He seems to have lost an eye in the conflict with these disfigured horses.

Wait, now they are inside our perimeter! Tun follows them and is getting hurt again. Time to go for some hunting!

We arrive at the gates and the monohorns begin their flight. Fire at will! Oh, we already ran out of arrows.. Fetch some more!

Finally we get one of them. Sibrek starts doing his work. Back to normal business.

..and then Edëm is ambushed, again by unicorns! We're going to save him! Apparently he gets away without injuries, but we're still going to shower the creatures with arrows, just in case.

Sibrek finally finishes her work. She has created a jet mug. Spectacular!(?)
Spoiler: It's nice, right? (click to show/hide)

---

26th of Moonstone - 9th of Opal
Almost two weeks without incidents, now Eshtân, one of our trappers is brutally murdered! I hear some dwarves admire unicorns, I think the only good unicorn is a dead unicorn. Squads, scramble! We're going to make them pay.
Spoiler: Death (click to show/hide)

..why does everyone have to go and loot our dead? The unicorns are still there you fools!
Spoiler: DON'T GO OUT THERE (click to show/hide)

And then a fisher is killed! These creatures are on a rampage! Some of them have been given names by us already!
Spoiler: Slaughter (click to show/hide)

Our squads come to aid, but the bastards still manage to slaughter one of our peasants. That's it. NO ONE GOES OUT ANYMORE.
Spoiler: Misery (click to show/hide)

So, how's it going out there with the unicorns? You've killed a few? Great! Sorry, I might have fallen asleep just for a moment.

We're letting everyone go out again. We station our squads to shield everyone gathering bodies.

---

10th Opal - 26th of Obsidian
We're running low on drinks! Why is only one of our stills in use?! Double the production, double the booze!

Nothing is happening anymore. Which is great, actually. Finally we have things going fairly smoothly around here and the monohorns haven't caused trouble now. More mineral mining is ordered.

THEN AN INJURED GIANT TOAD APPEARS and SCARES A FISHER! ..then it passes out. The closest person with an axe shall go and finish it off.
Spoiler: Such a climactic end (click to show/hide)

---

28th of Obsidian
Spring arrives! There were no migrants this winter, but I believe we can expect them to arrive next spring. I guess we could also build more traps around here. There was also something else in my mind, but I can't remember what. Well, whatever. I'm halfway through my overseership. I shall go and get a drink.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 02:33:51 pm by Vuohijumala »

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 25, 2016, 02:33:27 pm »

So yeah, here's the first update! Sorry about that adamantine thing, didn't know just revealing it leads to something.. I guess that's what you get when a 0.23-newbie comes into play. I'm also free to suggestions on what to do here from now on, haven't progressed too far ahead yet.
I'm partial to regicide or having to deal with the 10 dwarf kill rate, myself.  Latter would most certainly lead to some very fun situations.
I'd say dealing with a secret king who starts arbitrarily executing people would lead to fine stories at least!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 25, 2016, 07:55:14 pm »

So yeah, here's the first update! Sorry about that adamantine thing, didn't know just revealing it leads to something.. I guess that's what you get when a 0.23-newbie comes into play. I'm also free to suggestions on what to do here from now on, haven't progressed too far ahead yet.
I'd say dealing with a secret king who starts arbitrarily executing people would lead to fine stories at least!

Well, its less "secret king that kills people" and more "king that goes nuts and sentences 10 miners to 100 hammerstrikes"

Vuohijumala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 26, 2016, 04:26:05 pm »

Well, its less "secret king that kills people" and more "king that goes nuts and sentences 10 miners to 100 hammerstrikes"
I guess that would give us a legitimate reason to get rid of him! If he even appears. No sign of a king yet :/

We're in mid-summer now, so not much left. A couple of nobles appeared and capitalism is now a thing. It's been surprisingly peaceful. The unicorns have claimed only one dwarf. Probably going to finish this tomorrow.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #404 on: June 26, 2016, 11:16:36 pm »

I guess that would give us a legitimate reason to get rid of him! If he even appears. No sign of a king yet :/

We're in mid-summer now, so not much left. A couple of nobles appeared and capitalism is now a thing. It's been surprisingly peaceful. The unicorns have claimed only one dwarf. Probably going to finish this tomorrow.

I vaguely remember the way it works is the dwarven civilization has to be aware you struck candy, so he won't show up for sometime until after the dwarven caravan comes and goes. We should probably have the necessary quarters ready for him. Due to the histfig bug, he won't make any mandates or demands beside the candy ones. If you check a dwarfs screen, they should have a new message that they're enamored with adamantine that the miners discovered.

Here's the full list of patches in DFhack-23a, including one to disable "Too Deep": https://github.com/quietust/dfhack-23a/tree/master/patches
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44