Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 69

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild: SEQUEL ANNOUNCED  (Read 99168 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2016, 04:41:46 pm »

The existence of an easy way to mitigate or reduce the effect does not make it less annoying, for me. Half the time it makes it worse, tbh. Would have been fine with MM if time advancement had been entirely voluntary, but it wasn't~

I imagine, then, that the Pikmin series of games would be absolutely impossible for you to play?

especially since pikmin requires you to do everything over the course of at most 30 15-minute chunks (or the whole game in 7 hours 30 minutes) while majora's mask requires you to do each individual dungeon over the course of over 2 and a half hours, which is basically trivial, especially since you get to keep all of the proper items you got and that you get infinite retries

Also, making the time optional makes literally zero sense, since the entire world design is based on the three-day cycle and all the NPCs etc. have schedules based on that

I had a real fucking weird epiphany recently where I thought about making a game with certain mechanics relating to time travel before realizing that Majora's Mask already did them all perfectly.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:45:20 pm by Putnam »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 21, 2016, 04:50:42 pm »

Only the first game, the second lets you use as many days as you want.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 21, 2016, 06:25:31 pm »

Speaking of yesterday's discussion of the Temple of Time moving around constantly, its very likely that the ruins at the start of the game near it are those of old Castle Town.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 21, 2016, 06:40:05 pm »

I imagine, then, that the Pikmin series of games would be absolutely impossible for you to play?
Fairly likely. Wouldn't know, I've never tried 'em. Think I watched an LP or two, but that was about it (though while they were alright to watch, they didn't look particularly fun to play even without the time limit shenanigans).

That said, it probably wouldn't be quite as bad for that style of game. RPGs/roguelikes/etc. and games like zelda with the mechanic are the ones that get on the nerves the most, to the point that whatever their other virtues I almost always prefer to either go play something else or whip out the cheat engine equivalent and fix the problem. Simpler stuff, stage based action/puzzle/whatever games with little to no contiguous plot or campaign, etc., etc., are usually relatively bearable. Same with ones where it's not so much vital as a higher score type dealio (so long as nothing's gated behind that score, anyway). Different ways of doing the time pressure can also ameliorate the effect; the moon and food clock and stuff like that (Bloody ADOM and its freaking mutation bullshit) just kinda' pisses me off, but an enemy building up or something along those lines is much less annoying. It's not really a sort of "Insert Clock, Receive Hate" sort of thing. Just... sorta' close to it.

MM is basically just more or less the pinnacle of that sort of mechanic implementation, for me. Almost like it was specifically built to hit every point about the mechanic that annoys me.* mind everyone, I'm not saying it's bad. So far as I'm aware MM is one of the better zelda games, and there's a lot about it I have a fair amount of appreciation for. It's just basically unplayable for me.

*Though it'd be really easy to fix it for my preferences. Just give me a button to press or slider to set (bethesda RPG style, ferex) to advance the time (/scene/etc.) instead of autonomous time advancement. Even just an option for it would be enough.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 21, 2016, 06:44:34 pm »

playing the double song of time (> > a a v v) lets you advance the clock to the next 6-hour increment

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 21, 2016, 06:58:51 pm »

i know
Ask not!
Ask!

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 21, 2016, 08:19:55 pm »

Speaking of yesterday's discussion of the Temple of Time moving around constantly, its very likely that the ruins at the start of the game near it are those of old Castle Town.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That could definitely fit, and the presence of that big ruined wall makes it especially convincing. In that case, the Castle would've been torn down/destroyed and moved/rebuilt quite a ways away, I suppose. Though, given the position of the ruins in relation to Death Mountain, the city would've been facing the opposite direction that it was in OoT.  ???
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 21, 2016, 09:39:42 pm »

Since we're linking things I feel obligated to share the Esotericism of Bargo: Ocarina of Typewriter and its sequel Majora's Mastiff.
Never seen these before. These are... Pretty amazing. =D

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 26, 2016, 03:54:47 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 26, 2016, 05:00:53 pm »

... kinda' disappointed it wasn't an actual catapult.

Also wondering if there's bigger planks and larger rocks in the game >_>

Can now see someone's beginning goal to be to hit the top of the skybox :V
Ask not!
Ask!

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 27, 2016, 01:45:50 pm »

Now somebody needs to find some form of bomb-jumping so we can explosively and conveniently propel ourselves hundreds of feet into the air in order to glide long distances.

I know there are fire updrafts, but... those just don't have enough punch to 'em, ya know?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 27, 2016, 02:15:40 pm »

There was that video of Link smashing a rock several times with its physics paused, and when it unpaused it launched across the map. I want to see that but with Link jumping on top before it unpauses.

Madmachine

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarfputer Project FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 27, 2016, 06:44:55 pm »

The emergent potential in this game looks fantastic. I'm going to miss mowing the lawn for hearts and rupees, but honestly, that's a small price to pay to see such a ballsy move on Nintendo's part turn out so well.

The one thing that weirds me out about this game, though, is how "triple-a" it seems. It's cool that they're putting so much work into the game, but it's weird to see Nintendo adopt a production strategy that's so... I don't know... excessive.
I am a Grammar Communist. I believe that the means of word production (i.e: dictionaries) should be seized, for the good of the people.

We are succeeding. You can tell, because the Oxford English Dictionary made an emoji word of the year.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 27, 2016, 08:13:56 pm »

I wonder if this will have DLC like pikmin 3. ( I hope/doubt it though)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 27, 2016, 08:46:20 pm »

If it's worthwhile/not crap and isn't content cut straight from the main game for the sake of making it DLC then I might not mind. It kinda depends.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 69