Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 117357 times)

tnc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #360 on: December 24, 2017, 04:25:31 pm »

There is also a DCSS port for iOS as source code. Android has a port too.
There will be a Shin Megami Tensei game released for smartphones. Hope it turns out good.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 31, 2017, 03:07:50 am »

The new Jumanji movie tie-in game. It's surprisingly decent, for the first two hours of actual play, at least.

Monetization is a type I find frustrating; you get lockboxes that are timegated, and you can sidestep the timegate with cash. (A few other uses, but they seem to be largely negligible.) With that out of the way...

It plays like a cross between Monopoly, a CCG, and a dice battler.

Monopoly: You play 1v1 on a circular board divided into 3-3-4, with special tiles between each section. Land on a normal tile, and you get to pay to build on it, which takes possession. Much like Monopoly, tiles you've bought will get you money when you complete a circuit.

CCG: You can equip various cards that give additional stats (more on that later) and skills. Some of the skills are fairly boring to use-- "upgrade nearby built tiles", "+1def in daytime", etc. Others are massively powerful (and one combo that you're given for free at the start, is espoused by the devs)-- +3attack for 4 turns and teleport to any opponent's tile. In addition to activated (or passive) effects, they also give base stats.

Dice Battler: When you land on an opponent's owned tile, or the opponent themselves, you end up being able to fight them, or pay them. If you choose to fight, it turns into your attack+1d6 vs their defense+1d6. Attacking a property allows you to take it over or disable it (depending on if it's built up, I think), in addition to robbing it, and they have their own defense stat too.

There's three win conditions for a match-- take over a region (3/4 consecutive blocks), bankrupt them, or have the most money after 12 rounds. My longest match so far ended on the 12th round, with a bankruptcy, and my shortest on the second turn (horrible luck). Most matches will end in <5min, so it's good for a grab-and-go. (Also, your starting character, The Rock, is actually really good for aggressive "fun" play when you're just jumping in-- he gets +2atk in daytime... considerable, when you probably only have stats of 5/5 at first.)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 05, 2018, 04:06:09 am »

Mystery of Fortune 2 -- (note that this might actually be a pay game; I picked up a bunch of stuff discounted to free over the holidays, and I don't remember if this was one of them)

It feels like a cross between FFXII and an idle game, and is actually fairly entertaining to watch, but is ultimately, like most idle and tappers, aimless. There's no active gameplay; everything you actually do is navigating through menus.

You draft up to 12 units (no reason to do less, unless you can't afford it at the start), pick their classes, set their gambits, toss on whatever gear you have, and start idling through stages. Use your money and loot from each stage to level them (and unlock additional classes), and repeat! ---Wait, gambits? Yep. This is the part I find more interesting. For people unfamiliar with FFXII, you could "program" your allies to do certain things in certain cases. For example, you'd probably stick Dead Ally->Resurrection and HP<50%->Heal at the top of the list, followed by Nearest Hostile->Stun and Nearest Hostile->Nuke 'em. This game has more or less replicated that, and you have five slots, with a conditional and an action, each, to program your team. Combos and classes are obvious at first, but when you start getting more advanced, your options open up dramatically, allowing for things like Highest Enemy Attack->Stun, Nearest Enemy->Knockback, Enemy with AoE->Confuse, Highest HP->Nuke, Lowest HP->Normal Attack.

...Though, to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how realistically useful that is. It seems like you can level more or less infinitely (though getting successively more expensive), and, as far as PvE goes, the most practical solution is to just have some low leveled guys as support/whatever, and one ungodly powerful unit that can just solo everything in sight (example, my current guy is Lv1605... and the next highest is Lv148). Sure, it ain't fast, but it makes it easy to remember what classes need leveling to unlock your top tier classes, and get those critical skills. (High damage AoE on a short CD that also has lifedrain? Yep, he's never dying.)

Only one IAP-- it lets you run at double speed (4x, technically, but why would you ever not be running at 2x?), increases drop rate, and, most importantly, gives you perma 2x money. Which basically means you spend half the time waiting, which kind of makes this entire thing even more pointless, but hey~!
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 24, 2018, 04:00:22 pm »

Dungeon Survival... Darkest Dungeon without torches or stress, less RNG BS or a priori knowledge required, and added micropay.

That's a nice, easy description for once, isn't it? =D

(There's a free and a pay version for Android; according to an update on the paid version page, it says that there's a free version now, so I'm guessing that's what it is.)

Update, in more depth:

It's actually pretty good, but it does have a number of glaring weaknesses-- the biggest is that, if you've actually finished Darkest Dungeon (or got at least, say, halfway through), it is REALLY easy. I'm about 20 dungeons in (out of 108, I believe), and the only death I've had so far was when I accidentally took an L1 team into a dungeon recommended for L4. As a result, if you play remotely intelligently, it's... kind of dreadfully boring. I'm rampaging through everything with a party currently two levels under recommended without a problem. Unlike DD, the lack of a torch system means you can't really shift the difficulty/reward scale. There's no mechanic to prevent you from delaying combats, which means you can just keep one enemy alive as you heal back to full (mostly unnecessary...). Healing is far too powerful; my healer does about 70targeted/turn and 70AoE on CD... and even the hardest hitting boss only hit me for about 90, when I was far weaker, and with a conditional attack with a long CD. No rest mechanism, and classes are limited to four skills (unlike pick-4-of-8). And, most importantly, no Wayne June.

The upshot is that you're not constantly facing a risk/return balance with incredibly limited resources and on a timer, so you're not playing in a constant state of terror that a bit of RNG screw will destroy a team that took ten hours to build. Numbers are larger, which allows for more granularity. There's none of that stacking debuff nonsense; as far as I can tell, an effect always takes effect. Equipment actually feels like it matters, and virtues/afflictions are more dramatic. (Or at least the virtues are.)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:10:35 pm by Aoi »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 24, 2018, 04:43:20 pm »

Checked in the app store and Mystery of Fortune does cost money.

As does Dungeon Survival.

Haven't bought either so I don't have anything to say other than that :/

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 24, 2018, 04:48:15 pm »

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but Armory&Machine is a pretty neat idle game I've found on the Play store. Starts out slow but spirals into quite a lot of interdependent systems rather quickly after that. Not sure where it's all leading too since I'm only a couple of days in and I've just hit another progression hump but I'm pretty interested in where it ends up at.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 24, 2018, 05:21:57 pm »

...Well, now I'm concerned. I prodded a bit in the Play Store and noticed that there's two different versions of it that (superficially, at least) look identical; one developed by Frozen Frog that's free (that I got), and one by Energy Crystal Studio for 0.99.

Edit: In the news section for the ECS/0.99 version, it says 'The free version has been released, just search for same name and you can download for free now!', so I guess it's legit.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 05:27:21 pm by Aoi »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 24, 2018, 06:24:02 pm »

The mystery of fortune thing isn't exactly free, iirc, but they do sporadically let folks download them for nothing -- it's not just MoF2, but some of their other stuff, too. There's a pseudo-risk type thing built off a similar combat engine, ferex.

Never played ff12, but MoF actually reminded me a bit of ogre battle when I first ran into it, which is always something that gets my ears to perk up. It's both fairly grindy and fairly laggy after a bit, though, unfortunately.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 24, 2018, 07:12:23 pm »

The mystery of fortune thing isn't exactly free, iirc, but they do sporadically let folks download them for nothing -- it's not just MoF2, but some of their other stuff, too. There's a pseudo-risk type thing built off a similar combat engine, ferex.

Yeah; I've gotten into the habit of checking what's in the sale section and just claiming whatever's in there that may remotely be interesting in the distant future, which means some for-pay stuff may accidentally slip in without a warning.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 24, 2018, 07:38:42 pm »

...Well, now I'm concerned. I prodded a bit in the Play Store and noticed that there's two different versions of it that (superficially, at least) look identical; one developed by Frozen Frog that's free (that I got), and one by Energy Crystal Studio for 0.99.

Edit: In the news section for the ECS/0.99 version, it says 'The free version has been released, just search for same name and you can download for free now!', so I guess it's legit.

I'm viewing the app on the app store right now (Apple, not Google Play) and Dungeon Survival, made by Frozenfrog, costs a dollar.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 25, 2018, 02:01:32 pm »

Dungeon Survival... Darkest Dungeon without torches or stress, less RNG BS or a priori knowledge required, and added micropay.

That's a nice, easy description for once, isn't it? =D
This really is basically darkest dungeon with the more annoying interesting bits filed off. Or the more interesting annoying bits, I guess. It's not terrible, but it does turn out a decent amount of DD's gameplay depth and atmosphere came from paying attention to the irritating parts of it.

Still, for folks starting off a quick teamcomp recommendation would be anything (marksman or demon hunter, practically), priest, alchemist, paladin, back to front. Those first three will let you clear poison and bleed on demand, and sporadically render your entire team immune to status afflictions, once you have all skills active. The damage is kinda' sketchy, but it's alright and whatever your forth slot is will probably hit pretty hard, and since you don't have any long term concerns except health damage, being able to heal on three of your party members (and subsequently outheal most single enemies) means you functionally don't have attrition. Makes for pretty smooth sailing.
Ask not!
Ask!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 25, 2018, 03:31:50 pm »

This really is basically darkest dungeon with the more annoying interesting bits filed off. Or the more interesting annoying bits, I guess. It's not terrible, but it does turn out a decent amount of DD's gameplay depth and atmosphere came from paying attention to the irritating parts of it.

Still, for folks starting off a quick teamcomp recommendation would be anything (marksman or demon hunter, practically), priest, alchemist, paladin, back to front. Those first three will let you clear poison and bleed on demand, and sporadically render your entire team immune to status afflictions, once you have all skills active. The damage is kinda' sketchy, but it's alright and whatever your forth slot is will probably hit pretty hard, and since you don't have any long term concerns except health damage, being able to heal on three of your party members (and subsequently outheal most single enemies) means you functionally don't have attrition. Makes for pretty smooth sailing.

I agree with that assessment; DD-lite is also something I've seen tossed back and forth that's fairly true too.

Paladins are great front-liners; priests are practically a must-have for the later stages since they get MUCH longer (though I've done a handful of T1/2 dungeons without them, relying on very high damage teams optimized for that dungeon); I'd actually recommend against marksmen though-- they have high baseline power which makes them attractive at the start and their basic attack does extra against the backline, which further compounds it... but they're really only got that one attack (the other two are on long CDs, and the third is just a CD reset... and you'll probably lose effectiveness due to required positioning), and unless you're running a team that can do a lot of position shuffling or specializing in backline damage, you'll be running into the unfortunate case of whittling down all your targets as opposed to bursting one down. Instead, go with an assassin-- their base attack hits fairly hard (and double damage <30targetHP), good in positions 2-3, can inflict knockback, and has a high base speed. A sort-of downside is that their base attack targets whatever has the lowest HP, which often means you're wasting a strong attack in something that may die from DoT/AoEs in the next turn. On the other hand, it means the softest target's dropping first. (...I actually really like the automatic targeting, though it is kind of brutal for your healing/cleanses...)

Edit: ...And I just took a closer look at Demon Hunter. Which may actually be better for all-purpose than Assassin, though getting the extra bleed from an up-front Assassin is handy if you're running a Dragonmother too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:06:33 pm by Aoi »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 25, 2018, 04:20:57 pm »

Will have to try it, I suppose. I actually kinda' like the marksman, though. The damage is solid enough you can save the other abilities for specialty usages, the full party shuffle is excellent for disruption, and the non-CD thing makes it easier to fix crap when your own dudes get flipped around. CD reset just means you can be a bit more careless with your cooldowns or really drop a hammer on the entire enemy group, if you really feel like it.

... the bigger thing is probably that I really like position 3 and 1 to be priest and paladin (for conditional full party status immunity), and if there's an on tap source of poison removal besides the alch (which doesn't work all that well in slot 4) I haven't noticed it. So if it don't work in the rear most slot it starts looking sketchy. Priest could go there if you're okay with kinda' relying on the pallie for status blocking on slot 2, but... that's kinda' only if you want to limit the priest to more or less only healing. Which is doable but something of a waste, really. Dispelling strike has a pretty decent base damage, and the buff cleanse ain't bad.

Fairly unsure about the demon hunter, though. Think I'd consider it over gun if I happened to be running with a seriously baller alch? Main attack makes poison boom easier to kick off, and you'd still have repositioning (if single target). Ability to target weakest, too, for that matter. In between the assassin and mark, I guess.

Lance guy's unfortunate. Still have to see the dragon thing and augur, but if neither of those have a bleed clear I can't see row one ever being anything except a paladin. Too much stuff causes and interacts with bleed to be able to rely on the priest cleanse, and nothing else has a bleed cure, iirc.
Ask not!
Ask!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 25, 2018, 04:53:07 pm »

Will have to try it, I suppose. I actually kinda' like the marksman, though. The damage is solid enough you can save the other abilities for specialty usages, the full party shuffle is excellent for disruption, and the non-CD thing makes it easier to fix crap when your own dudes get flipped around. CD reset just means you can be a bit more careless with your cooldowns or really drop a hammer on the entire enemy group, if you really feel like it.

... the bigger thing is probably that I really like position 3 and 1 to be priest and paladin (for conditional full party status immunity), and if there's an on tap source of poison removal besides the alch (which doesn't work all that well in slot 4) I haven't noticed it. So if it don't work in the rear most slot it starts looking sketchy. Priest could go there if you're okay with kinda' relying on the pallie for status blocking on slot 2, but... that's kinda' only if you want to limit the priest to more or less only healing. Which is doable but something of a waste, really. Dispelling strike has a pretty decent base damage, and the buff cleanse ain't bad.

Fairly unsure about the demon hunter, though. Think I'd consider it over gun if I happened to be running with a seriously baller alch? Main attack makes poison boom easier to kick off, and you'd still have repositioning (if single target). Ability to target weakest, too, for that matter. In between the assassin and mark, I guess.

Lance guy's unfortunate. Still have to see the dragon thing and augur, but if neither of those have a bleed clear I can't see row one ever being anything except a paladin. Too much stuff causes and interacts with bleed to be able to rely on the priest cleanse, and nothing else has a bleed cure, iirc.

The marksman isn't bad, but when you're just slogging through stuff, disruption really as good as just straight up damage. Having said that, I'm starting to run into fights where I actually have to pay attention now, in dungeons marked L12, so I may have to start taking more utilities.

Priest's top skill is a party cleanse, though it has a long CD. I've mostly just been powering through poison; bleed's -def is more dangerous, and the Paladin has that on lock. I'm not a fan of alch as a whole though; I've tried taking one, but it doesn't seem to do enough to justify. Maybe in the Temple, where poison's -healing effect will help shut down the worms. And yeah, I've been running DM>Pa>As>Pr, which relegates my priest into a healbot. (More on DM below.)

I'm thinking DH for Reap (identical to As's Ultimate Stab, I think?) and Mark; the latter is a nice damage multiplier, and the former I think we've beaten to death. I don't have much use for poison though, as I can't take advantage of the Alch's combo without one.

Lancer's not BAD, but I'm not sure how to slot it in. P gets heal/bleedremoval and bleed on its base attack whereas L gets a double-hit and a stun; maybe its guard/counter will get more useful at higher levels when (I hope) it gets a duration boost/CD reduction? Stun is fantastic, since it can't be resisted like in DD, but the CD...

DM's base attack is like Poison Stimulation, except with a lower multiplier and it doesn't clear the stacks. Every other turn, it gets to drop a pretty hard hitting AoE. Other attacks are a -attack debuff and a weird lifedrain buff: For damage that the DM does, the entire party regains health. (Not the damage each unit does.) No cleanse.

Haven't opened the Augur yet, though I bet it'll work like the Cultist.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 25, 2018, 05:48:16 pm »

Person's damage seems to add up decently enough... it's certainly less noticeable than other stuff, but the alch seems to do the hurt alright. Want to say at full stacks its total damage is about on par, maybe a bit more, than my marksman's main attack (just split between two targets). The double stun's p. nice, too, and while I've been going slower than you have, least where I'm at (lvl 5-6ish?), my alch's heal is only somewhat trailing my priest's (though part of that has probably been because I've been heavily prioritising healing stat wise). Pretty sure what your doing would be faster, heh, I've just been rolling real conservatively so far.

Basically the alch's been a sort of filler, though. Has some back row CC, which supplements the marksman -- between the two they can keep something out the back row for a good while. Can heal, which supplements the healer in case it's stunned or someone just got dunked on. Covers the other half of the ubiquitous status effects (this is so far mostly just to make the poison boss thing less annoying, since his poison trigger hits pretty hard). Deals relatively low single target damage most of the time, but hits two things, etc., etc. The critter's... mellow? I guess. But seems to do 'is job. Might just be that seeing "suppressed" with any regularity on my side of the screen annoys me :P

Though yeah, poison makes the worms way less annoying if you can't kill them fast enough to prevent the self heal. Very noticeable, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 57