Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 182504 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #480 on: July 22, 2016, 06:08:03 pm »

Corbyn will put down the rebel MPs and restore order to the Pentarchy
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 22, 2016, 06:15:20 pm »

Fool! Corbyn controls only the Left Orb of Direction!

In his haste, he did not realize, but the Right Orb was replaced by the Orb of Greentexting. Laor has claimed that power for itself.

Laor will consume all. Your hero cannot save you. Only darkness will remain.

You mean greentexting like this: greentext?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 22, 2016, 06:18:30 pm »

He does not. Or at least if he does, he's shortly going be captured and burnt at the meme by the greentext inquisition.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 22, 2016, 06:20:05 pm »

By greentext, you mean 4chan, right?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #484 on: July 22, 2016, 06:23:29 pm »

>greentext
>"you mean 4chan"
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: July 22, 2016, 11:30:41 pm »

>greentext
>"you mean 4chan"

>implying
I assume the inquisition is like me having someone randomly tell me not to do that, inspiring an ayyylmao.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #486 on: July 22, 2016, 11:55:02 pm »

]ay

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #487 on: July 23, 2016, 08:41:16 am »

In his haste, he did not realize, but the Right Orb was replaced by the Orb of Greentexting. Laor has claimed that power for itself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #488 on: July 23, 2016, 04:18:47 pm »

Leaving the EU would hit British living standards, stoke inflation and wipe up to 5.5% off GDP, cause stock markets to crash, property prices to plummet, terminate British trade for years, the International Monetary Fund has warned with less than a week to go until the referendum. June 15. Something hilarious about Remain being disappointed that their promises to destroy the UK haven't come to fruition lel
UK growth to still outstrip Germany and France, July 19
On the one hand I'm happy that everything has turned out so well, on the other hand I'm disappointed because I was promised global catastrophic destruction of the world economy and I thought this would finally provide impetus for global reform. Eh, small ambitions, big rewards. Seriously people are greatly underestimating how surprised I am, I expected doom and everything turned out fantastic, even the weather is amazing - and I get to enjoy all this salt. Here's hoping for those who dare to dream
Quite glad that Remain failed to deliver on their promises tbh

On related news to Are Based Nige, UKIP's going to be like, on steroids - BBC confirmed for taken over by Californian valley girls
Reminder that UKIP is the party of peace, don't be UKIPlophobic

In more Corbyn antics, Labour MP Owen Smith accuses Corbyn of calling his father in order to get his father to give him a stern talking to.
Obviously bullshit lies, because Corbyn is his daddy :^)
No more tears
Let heavenly daddy Corbyn take you to the eternal sleep

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 24, 2016, 02:15:19 am »

I'm quite surprised that the Dover delayshaven't been brought up in this thread, given how long it has been going on.  (Considered a non-BBC thread, just for LW, but there's no significant difference in reports and I don't expect legible discussions from that quarter.)

First thoughts, yesterday: "And so it begins..."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:16:58 am by Starver »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #490 on: July 24, 2016, 09:00:36 am »

Rofl, the BBC is quality
We make fun of it because it is everyone's favourite target, but everyone in the UK would still defend it existing (maybe not license fees, that's more controversial)
Anyways don't really get what's significant about traffic jams to Brexit conversation

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 24, 2016, 10:03:33 am »

Delays because of increased French security checks (and not enough manpower), slowing things down.  Looks like a deliberate 'go slow'.  As if "you've been lucky to have had relatively free movement, here's a taste of what you'll get".

A little tale: I remember in..  Very early '90s... Could have been part of the Masstrricht Treaty discussions in 1992, but I'd check the date before I made that definite, the UK were specifically opting out of (or continuing to) a border-free arrangement, demanding (as we always have) that passports were still needed to enter the UK. I was on a trip around the alps, and as well as the Channel crossing did France/Italy, Italy/Switzerland and Switzerland/France (also, pre-Euro, had to take French Francs, Lire and Swiss Francs with me, which was fun for budgeting purposes). Some of us crossed some of the borders by mountain passes, but those who drove round by road-borders in the British registered minibus were always stopped for passport checks at each opportunity, whilst local (or even non-local but European) vehicles were let through without note. It was clearly 'unofficial policy' to hyper-enforce the borders to obvious UK Nationals.

Like now, there was no known threat from British travellers. All the problems that anyone, eurosceptic or europhilic, could ascribe to Europe from 'foreigners' (who often aren't even that) in Paris, Brussels, Nice, Munich, etc, there's nothing known (except for briefly the 'traditional' anti-hooligan programme surrounding the European Cup, which is obviously not a current concern) that would require French borders to be made more vigorous w.r.t. UK visitors.

Not saying it is that (there might be specific intelligence, not on public release, being acted upon), but it does look a lot like "today, my department will 'happen' to be overofficious with Les Rosbif..." doesn't need to have been ordered from above (Mitterand, or whoever it is now...  I'm slightly forgetful of French leaders' names1) or sanctioned or even tacitly approved.

'Operational concerns' may have been invoked whilst beaurocracy finds a way to de-escalate things after the likely complaints from Whitehall, or perhaps kind mention the costs the French have already incurred in buffing French/UK 'borders' at Calais. But I think it's an obvious put-up job. Without evidence, just historic experience, perhaps tinted with mild paranoia and a heavy dose of Schadenfreude (I'm away from home, myself, but not cross-channel-wise).

(By the way, the licence few is the worst funding method except for all the others! I don't like what successive governments have been doing to the BBC. If there's any controversy, it lies somewhere betwixt my view and yours, I think.)

1 I'm rather waiting for Le Pen and Clinton joining May and Merkel and Ang Sang Syu Kui and the several other (potential) female leaders I might half remember in a world-matriarchy. But Marine aint yet there.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 24, 2016, 10:18:33 am »

Haha, some funny satire from my newspaper. I seem to have missed it back on the 13th of this month when it was published. I'll take the liberty to translate.
http://www.volkskrant.nl/opinie/oud-politici-vrezen-irrationele-besluiten-van-vrouwelijke-premier~a4338496/

FORMER POLITICIANS FEAR IRRATIONAL DECISIONS BY FEMALE PM

The appointment of a female prime minister in the UK does not evoke solely positive responses. Four former politicians have expressed concerns about possible 'impulsive and irrational decisions a female PM might make.

One of them is Boris Johnson, former mayor of London. He fears a woman might make disastrous, irrevokable decisions based on gut feeling.
"Women make choices based on emotion of the moment. They don't take pause to rationally consider the consequences. It's a risk too great, to leave the nation's interests to such hysteria"

Leaving PM Cameron agrees. "Just think what could happen if the woman suddenly feels she might lose her position and doesn't know what to do. In her panick, she could hold a referendum, with all the consequences we know that would have. A PM should be able to defend impopular policies, and stand firm for those. I doubt a woman is capable of that."

Former UKIP leader Farrage fears that a female PM is not strong enough to handle the stress of a political career.
"Women do have a tendency to run when they have created a mess. A female PM might just quit her job without warning, because she wants her life back. It's scandalous!"

Former PM Tony Blair expects 'embarassing' press conferences, in which May denies catastrophic mistakes 'nearly in tears'.
"If she trusts another world leader, she'll blindly go along with his plans. A woman in charge could costs British military their lives. Do we really want to take that chance?"
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:27:39 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 24, 2016, 10:25:00 am »

Are... they joking? Like... this is satire right?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 24, 2016, 10:29:32 am »

No, it's a satyr. Half-goat follower of the god of alcohol, with prominantly and permanently visible erection.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 126