Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 181906 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #750 on: October 19, 2016, 05:27:09 am »

Meanwhile from the European Union:
The Secretary General of the European Movement International, Petros Fassoulas, said on 27 June that “enlargement will be frozen” after the UK’s decision to leave the EU, as the Union would be preoccupied with its own problems.

He said that the freezing entailed continuous postponement, or slowing down, to the point where not much would happen, is worse than taking a break.

The British referendum will launch the process of closing off, said Fassoulas in a debate in Belgrade on the consequences of the British referendum. “There is uncertainty among the leaders of the EU governments and enlargement certainly won’t be the first thing to come to their mind,” he added.
From 4th of July

I'm going to side with the European Union stating their decision to freeze enlargement clearly over anonymous quotes

LW, why are you bringing up the ESI? Look above, you're clearly presenting the analysis of some dude from the EMI (a federalist think-tank) as the word of the EU. Earlier, you did the same with the words of the spokesperson for the european packaging lobby when we were talking about france's plastic cutlery ban.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 19, 2016, 05:28:59 am »

Reason being if we stay in the common market then our external trade with the rest of the world would be controlled by the EU, which just wouldn't make sense since our world trade is the majority of our trade, and we would have to sacrifice migration & security controls in order to keep that. Sans being one of the negotiators of course, so it would be the worse end of everything for everyone who's not a banker lol
Exactly my views, before and after. Who are you, and what have you done with the real Loud Whispers?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #752 on: October 19, 2016, 05:56:06 am »

LW, why are you bringing up the ESI? Look above, you're clearly presenting the analysis of some dude from the EMI (a federalist think-tank) as the word of the EU. Earlier, you did the same with the words of the spokesperson for the european packaging lobby when we were talking about france's plastic cutlery ban.
Oh I see, that makes a lot more sense. Pardon, a lot of context I lost in catching up on the thread. ESI is the only think tank I've overtly brought up in regards to the EU definitively, at least in any depth or sense of effort I can remember.

In regards to why, I don't draw much more than an academic distinction between political institutions and their intellectual, financial & popular support base, in addition to their advisors and technical support. My views on this are coloured in part by the EU (of which you have heard about it to death) but mostly by British politics, of which I am most familiar with, in which as with all things control of the intellectual core of a political party will result in control of it in future. That's not going into detail on when private companies are employed to fulfill agendas that state actors cannot push through public legislation :]
If you mean specifically, then this is why:
The European Movement works as a study and information group, and also as a pressure group. It operates as a study and information group through the many projects and activities undertaken, and has been at the forefront in helping large segments of the public take part in the dissemination of information on European affairs and activities. It operates as a pressure group through the influence exerted by its members at all levels in each sector of activity. The European Parliament, Commission, national parliaments, authorities and governments, business-people, industry associations, NGOs and the many associations which make up the civil society in Europe have been influenced through the European Movement’s network of contacts.
EMI: who we are.

There is information lacking in formal channels so I resort to the closest analogue vs anonymous sources, found nothing from the EU here, vague unstated reaffirmations without any words quoted here, and on closer search I finally found one good quote from an EU commissioner saying just the same:
"The EU is still committed to the enlargement, there is no doubt about it – we are continuing the work that we have started, which is “by far not complete”, Hahn stated at a conference on public administration as a foundation of European integration.
http://aa.com.tr/en/analysis-news/-analysis-eu-and-western-balkan-relations-after-brexit-vote/599556
Showing the peril of trusting in anonymous quotes.
P.s. what do lobbying groups buy? :P
You may have noticed this before in how I disregarded the argument presented earlier that I would be okay with anything for as long as the UK government did it; I made it quite clear that British ministers acting on behalf of the EU and its agendas would be utterly meaningless to me, for they would be little more than an acting branch of the EU. Same principle here

Reason being if we stay in the common market then our external trade with the rest of the world would be controlled by the EU, which just wouldn't make sense since our world trade is the majority of our trade, and we would have to sacrifice migration & security controls in order to keep that. Sans being one of the negotiators of course, so it would be the worse end of everything for everyone who's not a banker lol
Exactly my views, before and after. Who are you, and what have you done with the real Loud Whispers?
I'm not an edgy contrarian everyday

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 19, 2016, 09:44:08 am »

University of Warwick paper on factors involved in why folk voted for Brexit.

The very basic summary is they seem to think it was the 6 years of austerity prior the the vote that was the largest factor that encouraged people to vote Leave, and not immigration like the media were suggesting at the time.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #754 on: October 19, 2016, 05:28:31 pm »

University of Warwick paper on factors involved in why folk voted for Brexit.

The very basic summary is they seem to think it was the 6 years of austerity prior the the vote that was the largest factor that encouraged people to vote Leave, and not immigration like the media were suggesting at the time.
That's an interesting read, I'm more surprised they have the balls to conclude that there was a largest factor - I like that bravery xD

Also in other news, Beeb are gonna make a mockumentary on Nigel
I'm still jelly that Ameripol stole him

Codician

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 20, 2016, 06:07:14 am »

UK retailers post strongest quarter since 2014 after Brexit vote – business live

Basically, it's really not as bad as people are making out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 22, 2016, 03:14:28 am »

You know what... I think I am going to do the foolish thing here...

And predict that we are going to have another Riot in the UK. Either Race or Class.

Just a hunch.

And honestly I hope I am wrong... and HOLY GOODNESS do I hope we haven't had one already.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 22, 2016, 04:46:06 am »

That site's attempt at grammar and paragraph structure permanently damaged my IQ. I expect reparations.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 22, 2016, 05:12:43 am »

Not racist but still retains it is because they were speaking Spanish?

Reminds me of a woman who experienced a traumatic experience due to a black man and as such developed a phobia towards black men (though she kind of hated herself for it)... She wasn't racist...

So lets see the excuse here... uhh... what is the excuse? I can't see the website.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 22, 2016, 05:27:05 am »

That he was drunk and his girlfriend had left him, and he was "really ashamed". Or somesuch.

...actually it might be more xenophobia that racism, given that the attack was for speaking in a foreign language. Not that it makes much of a difference.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #762 on: October 22, 2016, 11:20:30 am »

Guys, to the progressive thread or eu related news thread, this is the brexit thread for brexit news

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 22, 2016, 11:25:45 am »

SHOCKING: Poster puts post in wrong thread!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 22, 2016, 12:21:02 pm »

Guys, to the progressive thread or eu related news thread, this is the brexit thread for brexit news

Wha... but....

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 126