Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 182486 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #780 on: October 24, 2016, 03:14:32 pm »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #781 on: October 24, 2016, 03:20:04 pm »

Sadly it turned out it was a fake without basis.
What's fake? Sorry I don't know what is being referred to

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 24, 2016, 03:33:26 pm »

Sadly it turned out it was a fake without basis.
What's fake? Sorry I don't know what is being referred to

Presumably he means the 'France wants the negotiations done in French' thing.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 25, 2016, 04:50:49 pm »

I feel ambivalent about the CETA thing. On the one hand, I'm in favor of trade deals and closer co-operation between countries, but on the other hand I've heard that the deal, as it stands now, has some ugly notes in it, such as the whole companies-suing-countries part.

Then again, it's not like governments don't sometimes engage in (unfair) protectionist measures, and I've read that courts such as these (such as in NAFTA) usually judge in favor of the country. But I'd have to be able to actually do the digging to form an informed opinion, and these things are always humongous texts of lawyerese. Also note that the Walloon government isn't the only entity that has voiced concerns, organisations like Greenpeace have argued against it, and there have been large demonstrations against it (and it's cousin, TTIP).

That said, the deal isn't buried yet, there's still talks ongoing. The deadline of Thursday will probably be missed, but after seven years I doubt either the EU or Canada will just blow the whole thing off instead of waiting a little longer and maybe making some last concessions/clarifications. It might yet live, with some delays.

Finally, I'm anxiously awaiting the staunch eurosceptics of the world to come out and congratulate the EU on letting even a small part of it block an agreement the majority agrees to in a blaze of sovereign power.  :P

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #784 on: October 26, 2016, 06:36:43 am »

Michael Gove is very, very sorry
Zac Goldsmith quits over Heathrow expansion <- He's the guy who tried to become mayor of London supporting Brexit, he also busted elite pedo rings

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 26, 2016, 06:39:47 am »

That is some grade-A bootlicking from the antieducator, nice.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #786 on: October 28, 2016, 11:23:34 pm »

That is some grade-A bootlicking from the antieducator, nice.
I guess the one thing he discovered after his holiday is that he really does not like retirement

Also in really surprising news, Zac Goldsmith is contesting his own seat after his resignation. He is up against the Libdems as the Tory party aren't fielding someone against him. It's really weird, like a blast from the past, as a former mayoral candidate competes with a once relevant party whilst endorsed by a once relevant party
UKIP is (surprisingly?), endorsing him

Truth be told I don't know what to think of Zac Goldsmith, as I've not seem him in the spotlight much.

In other news, Jeremy Corbyn's parliamentary seat - the centre of British marxism, is to be carved up and given to Corbyn's allies.

[Laughing Tories intensifies]

No doubt this is a ploy to sow discord amongst the beleagured labour party, especially since in order to run, Corbyn would have to exclude himself under his all-women shortlist policy (unless he identified as a woman last minute). Perhaps it really is just a sincere effort to equalize the vote to politician ratio, but that certainly won't stop Corbyn's labour from seeing this as a discord-sowing attempt, and old Labour from jumping at the opportunity to remove Corbyn once more

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 28, 2016, 11:44:51 pm »

In other news, Jeremy Corbyn's parliamentary seat - the centre of British marxism, is to be carved up and given to Corbyn's allies.
Why's that come up again? It was in the news more than a month ago (perhaps slightly behind what the Boundary Commission was doing with Scotland, which was very much spoilery, leaving just one mainland area untouched and potentially removing both Labour and Conservatives from the map in the process...)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #788 on: October 28, 2016, 11:49:38 pm »

Why's that come up again? It was in the news more than a month ago (perhaps slightly behind what the Boundary Commission was doing with Scotland, which was very much spoilery, leaving just one mainland area untouched and potentially removing both Labour and Conservatives from the map in the process...)
I dunno why it's come up again, I just heard of it yesterday

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #789 on: October 29, 2016, 04:19:50 pm »

Finally, I'm anxiously awaiting the staunch eurosceptics of the world to come out and congratulate the EU on letting even a small part of it block an agreement the majority agrees to in a blaze of sovereign power.  :P
I was reading this and this post immediately came to mind for the kekles it produced

David Cameron plunged Britain's position in Europe into the greatest uncertainty in a generation as he used his veto to block a new EU-wide treaty and left at least 23 other countries to forge a pact to salvage the single currency.
With the apparent blessing of the pro-European deputy prime minister, Nick Clegg – and the subsequent delight of Tory backbenchers – Cameron deployed the ultimate weapon in European summitry at about 2.30am yesterday.
EU leaders promptly agreed to bypass Britain and establish a new accord on the euro among themselves by March. The EU appeared poised to line up 26-1 against Cameron in support of the Franco-German blueprint, leaving Britain utterly isolated.
Cameron's bombshell came at what was billed as the most important EU summit in years, with the fate of the single currency hanging in the balance. The veto was unexpected and was being seen as a watershed in Britain's fractious relationship with the rest of Europe. Cameron insisted on securing concessions on, and exemptions from, EU financial markets regulation as the price of his assent to the German-led euro salvation blueprint.
While Cameron has failed to secure the concessions for Britain's strong financial services sector, Britain has also forfeited its place at the table where Europe's future and the new euro regime will be determined. For the first time since Britain joined the European Community in 1973, a treaty that goes to the heart of how the EU works will be struck without a British signature.
Blast from the past
The more I look into it it is hilarious, just how hard David Cameron fought for a decade to keep the UK in the EU, and the EU just kept ignoring him lmao

Sad airhorns for defeated EU shill, it really is hilarious how even a little compromise would've killed us proper dead

Also more hilarious in light of Wallonia getting blown the fuck out by the EU, in a blaze of sovereignty being burned

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 29, 2016, 04:30:11 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #791 on: October 29, 2016, 04:38:16 pm »

May, or May not have veto?
Holy shit, May supported UK even before Leave existed

Based a/f, exactly what I expect as normal

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 29, 2016, 04:51:39 pm »

May, or May not have veto?
Holy shit, May supported UK even before Leave existed

Based a/f, exactly what I expect as normal
Based on what, you say?

My reading is that May had once said that parliament should have a say on any changes to EU involvement (not just the unimagined Brexit) and now she says the opposite.

Whether that's because:
1) she has matured her opinion dince then (like Trump now no longer habitually grabs women in rude places(!)),
2) it was only an argument ever to be used whilst in opposition, and/or
3) Brexit isn't a mere 'change to EU involvement' and the rule that kicked in for significant changes stops applying again at some higher threshold...
...it's still a rather interesting thing to know about.

I don't actually understand "May supported UK even before Leave existed", but the above might cover what my best guess is about your (I think) complaint.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 29, 2016, 04:58:53 pm »

The former shadow minister for Europe, Labour MP Pat McFadden, said Mrs May could no longer deny Parliament a meaningful role in what Brexit means.

Brexit means Brexit, Pat. Dumbass...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 29, 2016, 06:08:13 pm »

The idea of Parliament overturning Brexit
Touchy, aren't you? It's not about overturning, it's about actually sure that the Brexit we're getting is the Brexit that maybe a third of the population actually wanted.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 126