Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 181923 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1065 on: January 18, 2017, 06:40:09 am »

Peter Chase of the GMF has a nice idea: the US, UK and rEU could use the TTIP as a vehicle to negotiate the new trade relationships of the UK.

Have you really gone so far right that you actuallythink TTIP is a good idea, or was that a sarcastic 'see what you get for leaving, Britain' jab, Sheb? I can't tell any more.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1066 on: January 18, 2017, 07:55:20 am »

Last time I've heard not even Brexiteers themselves have campaigned for Hard "Leave the single market completely" Brexit
I'd like to know where you heard this from because it's objectively wrong; there is no hard or soft Brexit, there is leaving the European Union or remaining in the European Union. Do you read nothing but fake news? The only people campaigning to remain in the single market are the people who campaigned to remain in the European Union, because the economic union is the basis of the political union and would be a British exit of the Union in name only. Unless of course people voted to leave the European Union expecting the European Union to still control who we trade with or give total control of our border to the EU ::)

[Citation needed]
Where is this prime leave promise, hmm? I'm getting flashbacks to the ez bait
The people who promised the UK would remain a member of the single market if the UK left the EU were the Remain campaign, unsurprisingly. Boris, Gove, even the unofficial Farage - all promised the UK would leave the single market, and even Osborne on the Remain campaign said we'd leave the single market if we voted to Leave. No issues there
Straight from the Leave campaign's framework
Free Trade Bill. This would require that by the next election, the UK leaves the EU’s ‘common commercial policy’. That would restore the UK Government’s power to control its own trade policy. That would create jobs. The UK would take back its seat on the World Trade Organization, becoming a more influential force for free trade and friendly cooperation. After we Vote Leave, we would immediately be able to start negotiating new trade deals with emerging economies and the world’s biggest economies (the US, China and Japan, as well as Canada, Australia, South Korea, New Zealand, and so on), which could enter into force immediately after the UK leaves the EU.
Perhaps after two years I'm losing patience with the expectation that only Leave supporters have to actually provide facts, that supporting Remain is an instant indicator of intelligence and is factually true because only morons don't support Remain. Too much smug.

That's because it's an objectively dumb move in the lieu of Trump's "let's put a 35% import tariff on anything that's not produced in USA" ultra-protectionist proposal that hurts everyone and benefits no one.
You'll have to explain why it's objectively dumb then. How it hurts everyone and benefits no one. Does anyone even bother justifying their beliefs anymore?

Here's the factual basis for leaving the single market. If we remain in the single market, the UK must accept free movement of people, the supremacy of EU law and the supremacy of EU governance. With the free movement of people the UK would lose its sovereign status in foreign relations regarding immigration, with dire consequences for our desired policy for selective migration and our desire to contain and quell European jihadism. EU law would remain supreme as our economy would be regulated in accordance with EU legislation, made worse in that we would have no say at all - resulting in even more sovereign power being lost, our economic capital used to bolster the power of Brussels with no self-determination gained. Standardisation and harmonization would still occur, still attempting to force the UK to become another European state via regulation and assumption of regulatory authority over British industry, and worse of all the UK would not be able to represent itself on the world stage. It would not be able to conduct its own trade deals, having all of them conducted by a European Commission that went from before having no legal obligation to represent Britain to after, having an incentive to damage Britain. Our external tariff rates would be set by the European Union even though we are seeking free trade with the world - whilst the Europeans are seeking to block out the rest of the world with high external tariff rates, which as you say, are stupid, hurts everyone, and benefits no one. It would mean leaving the European Union whilst maintaining all of the
actual mechanisms which enforce the EU's supremacy, which is not a situation that benefits the UK, and is very much one-sided in favour of the EU - under such an agreement, the EU would only increase what it benefits from the UK whilst increasing its authority, the UK becoming more integrated into the EU, with the UK losing even more self-determination.

There's not a citizen alive who voted to Leave the European Union expecting to become further entrenched into the European Union, there's not a person alive who voted to Leave the European Union so that the UK could represent itself, only to have the European Union nevertheless represent the unrepresented UK.

Leaving the European Union means leaving the European Union; it is not only the wisest thing to do, it is the only course of action available. The trade deal promised to us by President Trump for example, would never materialize if we were a member of the European Union or its market. Free trade is guaranteed only internally in the EU, coming at the cost of all border control and control over your own customs and commerce, which is no great incentive for the UK - the majority of our trade is with the rest of the world, which at a time where Europe is trying to shut out the world, is dangerous to the UK. Given how inflexible the EU is, there is simply no way for the UK to seek the international trade it wants within the EU, not without opening the entirety of the EU to free trade. When we were a member of the EU the UK, Germany and Sweden led the case for free trade versus France, Italy and most of the Med nations. With Germany having become the leader of EU protectionism, there's not a chance, especially with the UK leaving.
Waddap have some news

Fuck no. TTIP is a poison pill; trying to spice it up a bit with some sexy Brexit trade doesn't make it any more appealing.

Thank god Trump got in and put paid to TTP, at the very least.
On the bright side the TTIP is more loathed than Ed Miliband in the UK. Few words are so fatal in politics as "privatize the NHS"

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 18, 2017, 08:42:36 am »

Peter Chase of the GMF has a nice idea: the US, UK and rEU could use the TTIP as a vehicle to negotiate the new trade relationships of the UK.

Have you really gone so far right that you actuallythink TTIP is a good idea, or was that a sarcastic 'see what you get for leaving, Britain' jab, Sheb? I can't tell any more.

Bit of both really, my opposition to these kind of investment deal softened after researching CETA in more details (and the ton of crap said on them). I'm still not a fan, especially for as long as ISDS remains a thing in its current form, but you have to consider the alternatives: breakdown of trade relations between the UK and rEU would hurt them more than us, but it'd hurt us too. I'd rather have them stay in the custom union, but if they don't want that, well, a trade deal negoatiated that way seems like the less worse world.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 18, 2017, 08:43:24 am »

Last time I've heard not even Brexiteers themselves have campaigned for Hard "Leave the single market completely" Brexit
I'd like to know where you heard this from because it's objectively wrong; there is no hard or soft Brexit, there is leaving the European Union or remaining in the European Union. Do you read nothing but fake news? The only people campaigning to remain in the single market are the people who campaigned to remain in the European Union, because the economic union is the basis of the political union and would be a British exit of the Union in name only. Unless of course people voted to leave the European Union expecting the European Union to still control who we trade with or give total control of our border to the EU ::
I'm pretty sure that this is a thing, but whatever, you know better.

Perhaps after two years I'm losing patience with the expectation that only Leave supporters have to actually provide facts, that supporting Remain is an instant indicator of intelligence and is factually true because only morons don't support Remain. Too much smug.
Radical status-quo changing proposals tend to require higher standards of evidence.

[Citation needed]
Here's the factual basis for leaving the single market. If we remain in the single market, the UK must accept free movement of people, the supremacy of EU law and the supremacy of EU governance. With the free movement of people the UK would lose its sovereign status in foreign relations regarding immigration, with dire consequences for our desired policy for selective migration and our desire to contain and quell European jihadism. EU law would remain supreme as our economy would be regulated in accordance with EU legislation, made worse in that we would have no say at all - resulting in even more sovereign power being lost, our economic capital used to bolster the power of Brussels with no self-determination gained. Standardisation and harmonization would still occur, still attempting to force the UK to become another European state via regulation and assumption of regulatory authority over British industry, and worse of all the UK would not be able to represent itself on the world stage. It would not be able to conduct its own trade deals, having all of them conducted by a European Commission that went from before having no legal obligation to represent Britain to after, having an incentive to damage Britain. Our external tariff rates would be set by the European Union even though we are seeking free trade with the world - whilst the Europeans are seeking to block out the rest of the world with high external tariff rates, which as you say, are stupid, hurts everyone, and benefits no one. It would mean leaving the European Union whilst maintaining all of the
actual mechanisms which enforce the EU's supremacy, which is not a situation that benefits the UK, and is very much one-sided in favour of the EU - under such an agreement, the EU would only increase what it benefits from the UK whilst increasing its authority, the UK becoming more integrated into the EU, with the UK losing even more self-determination.
First, UK had the right of veto in the EU and in fact was using it quite extensively, so I don't quite understand all your "enforced without the ability to object" complaints.

There's not a citizen alive who voted to Leave the European Union expecting to become further entrenched into the European Union, there's not a person alive who voted to Leave the European Union so that the UK could represent itself, only to have the European Union nevertheless represent the unrepresented UK.

Leaving the European Union means leaving the European Union; it is not only the wisest thing to do, it is the only course of action available. The trade deal promised to us by President Trump for example, would never materialize if we were a member of the European Union or its market. Free trade is guaranteed only internally in the EU, coming at the cost of all border control and control over your own customs and commerce, which is no great incentive for the UK - the majority of our trade is with the rest of the world, which at a time where Europe is trying to shut out the world, is dangerous to the UK. Given how inflexible the EU is, there is simply no way for the UK to seek the international trade it wants within the EU, not without opening the entirety of the EU to free trade. When we were a member of the EU the UK, Germany and Sweden led the case for free trade versus France, Italy and most of the Med nations. With Germany having become the leader of EU protectionism, there's not a chance, especially with the UK leaving.
Second, does UK really trade with the rest of the world more than with EU, despite these high tariffs? I thought that it was otherwise, since UK exports are supposed to be high-tech, consumed mostly by highly developed markets like the ones in EU, and that the cheap Chinese labor would prevent its exports from making their way elsewhere. What and with whom UK does trade?

Third, is EU really that protectionist? That's something I've never heard before about, and it doesn't make sense - why would all these economists talk about the benefits of "free trade" and the dangers of protectionism, if the supposedly driven-by-technocrats/experts EU is embracing all these protectionist policies?

Come to think of it, it's not all that surprising to see EU doing the retarded thing, after Greece and austerity-enforcing crisis-prolonging measures, but still. Are the EU proponents doing the Hillary Democrat thing, with their "99% victory everything is fine it will be a glorious landslide" circlejerk?

Few words are so fatal in politics as "privatize the NHS"
Yet, isn't that what is currently happening? I've been led to believe that there's been this ongoing cycle of "defund NHS => NHS failing more => argument towards NHS ineffectiveness => defund NHS more", and that this cycle is currently entering its final iterations, as NHS is starting to fail completely.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1069 on: January 18, 2017, 10:08:22 am »

I'm pretty sure that this is a thing, but whatever, you know better.
Everything I said is right there in the first paragraph:
To participate in the EU's single market, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are party to the Agreement on a European Economic Area (EEA), with compliance regulated by the EFTA Surveillance Authority and the EFTA Court.
Those nations are entirely party to the obligations of the EU with no say as to how or what these obligations are except with the threat of complete withdrawal from their agreements.

Radical status-quo changing proposals tend to require higher standards of evidence.
I call complete bullshit on that, any proposal, any belief requires a grounding foundation in reality otherwise it's just arrogance and ideology. The European Union is not an axiom that requires no evidence, and those who support it are not above having to prove their arguments have any merit. Elsewise, why break the status quo of nation states to found a supranational world hegemon? Why should anyone listen to a single thing you say if you're unwilling to do the absolute minimum and provide the factual basis for your beliefs? It should go without saying that merely expecting everyone to believe in what you believe because you say they should believe in the undisclosed merits of your argument is doomed to total failure; the UK will not be the last if European leaders act as you do.

The moment you stop believing that you require evidence for your beliefs is the moment you start believing in your own innate goodness, that you are inherently right because you hold those beliefs. That's how you get leaders stuck up their own arses pursuing their own self-destruction, because they stopped looking for what is good, and instead started looking for what made them look good. Arrogance, it kills things dead - the old leaders who once ruled the UK were so completely caught off guard by radical status-quo changing proposals because they refused to see what was so obviously looming before them, refused to see the possibility that they were wrong. This is an obvious flaw - if you don't know yourself, your enemies will defeat you, if you don't know why you believe what you do, you don't know yourself

First, UK had the right of veto in the EU and in fact was using it quite extensively, so I don't quite understand all your "enforced without the ability to object" complaints.
Oi no spreading fake news, secondly I have already explained rather clearly that being a member of the single market but outside the European Union is the worst possible deal for the UK; beholden to more obligations to the EU, having lost more sovereignty, whilst remaining in all the effective mechanisms of the EU.

Second, does UK really trade with the rest of the world more than with EU, despite these high tariffs?
Yeah

I thought that it was otherwise, since UK exports are supposed to be high-tech, consumed mostly by highly developed markets like the ones in EU, and that the cheap Chinese labor would prevent its exports from making their way elsewhere. What and with whom UK does trade?
The Americas, BRICs and the Commonwealth mostly. High EU tariffs raise the prices of imports from our American, African and Asian trading partners, with consequent effects on consumer and retail prices as well as increasing the cost of production for British industries relying on foreign resources; through EU tariffs often we must buy German electronics when otherwise we could buy cheaper from Japan, USA or China, lowering competition for German industry.
www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/OverseasTradeStatistics/PublishingImages/Nov16_Import.gif
This is especially relevant for automobile industries. Export wise the tariffs do not work like that, but we are severely hindered in exporting to our trading partners in developing and developed economies abroad in that for as long as we are a member of the EU we cannot negotiate our own trade deals that are suited to the UK. There is one significant industry which I will draw exception to, and it is that of pharmaceuticals. Many foreign companies from India use the UK as a launching pad into Europe, bypassing the external tariff by manufacturing their drugs in the UK under UK regulatory standards, with the EU's pharmaceutical regulations set by regulators in Canary Wharf, London. This would not be an issue for India if the EU was not hesitant to give India a free trade deal, as the EU does not want to allow Indians to have freer movement in Europe and want the Indians to lower alcohol and automobile tariffs. If the UK is not able to secure a drugs deal with the EU early, many Indian pharmaceutical companies could be hurt, which in turn would hurt the UK's pharmaceutical industry, which at the moment is so attractive because of the density of expertise and industry - such expertise and industry obviously cannot be maintained without money. European continentals may rejoice that big pharmas does not decide their continent's healthcare supply but they'll still find a way, or else be replaced by bigger fish.

Next 3 years are going to be busy ones for the UK, electric energy in all senses of the word will be required to succeed :D, better than slow decline in a decaying bloc.

Third, is EU really that protectionist? That's something I've never heard before about, and it doesn't make sense - why would all these economists talk about the benefits of "free trade" and the dangers of protectionism, if the supposedly driven-by-technocrats/experts EU is embracing all these protectionist policies?
Because these economists have a conflict of interest; when the UK entered into the EEC, it was sold back then as a free trade union by many economists, even our own, despite it ultimately turning into a protectionist political union by design - such designs, known and planned for from the start. It's just the same line again, the EU is about free trade, and imagine if you are one such person capable of influencing public opinion. You're an "economist," you're an expert, people trust in you because they trust your professional expertise. People want an authoritative person to tell them how to value things, but they don't choose this authority on facts or results, they choose this authority on what is familiar, what seems authoritative.

Thus if you have a white man in a grey business suit sitting on the television news talking about how the EU is for free trade, people take his word for it until someone provides a rival white man in a grey business suit. Few have the time nor interest to check, or even validate their own beliefs, which perhaps explains why in the era where experts and MSM have no credibility, there has not been a surge in the individual drive for truth - rather, the grip experts lost, was picked up by demagogues. That's a disheartening derail for later though, the point is, a generic unnamed band of "economist" need not tell the truth anymore than someone reporting that "scientists say".

Part of my great fear with the EU is that it has sold the Europeans a lie - promising them that the greater trade between European nations has created a great blooming of trade and cooperation, when I suspect it has only managed to divert trade, not create new trade. Thus the UK for example must buy more from European industries than in countries where there is more innovation, quality, lower energy and labour costs, probably the biggest cost to the UK for European membership is simply that we pay far more for agricultural produce from NAmerica, SAmerica and Africa than we need to, which especially hurts us as we're a net importer of food. This is what I talk about when I talk of trade diversion and not creation, why cannot the UK buy cheaper, better and higher quantity produce just to artificially prop up a few noncompetitive European agriculture industries? I could better sympathize with this cost if it would guarantee those farmers their job security, but it doesn't, merely postponing the problem for a future collapse whilst damaging developing economies and hurting British economic growth. This has also been a great sticking point for the European continentals, who argue that Germany has not done well by creating trade within the EU, it has merely diverted trade and capital from the European states by using its political clout to enforce mercantilism and maintain its large trade deficit using European consumers, which the poorer states obviously can't do shit about because they don't even control their own currency. I do worry sometimes that jihadis will be the least of Germany's concerns, and that it is propping Europe up for inevitable recession, perhaps even - war. To that end the EU must reform or Europe is in for calamity, and none of this bullshit where the EU simply reforms by centralizing even more power and continuing on as normal - it's not working, but the leaders have the ideological conviction that more European Union centralization will fix everything somehow.

Come to think of it, it's not all that surprising to see EU doing the retarded thing, after Greece and austerity-enforcing crisis-prolonging measures, but still. Are the EU proponents doing the Hillary Democrat thing, with their "99% victory everything is fine it will be a glorious landslide" circlejerk?
No idea, I wish them the best though, just without the UK

Yet, isn't that what is currently happening? I've been led to believe that there's been this ongoing cycle of "defund NHS => NHS failing more => argument towards NHS ineffectiveness => defund NHS more", and that this cycle is currently entering its final iterations, as NHS is starting to fail completely.
They haven't made many cuts (cuts are vehemently unpopular) rather redirected funds towards low-priority reorganization whilst not raising the budget. Factoring in inflation and an increasingly sick populace, sick from age, obesity, smoking, alcohol, drugs and inactivity - the NHS needs drastic increases in budget just to stay afloat. Thus keeping the budget as is is in effect, stealthily dooming it to failure, it simply will not be able to cope without either ignoring a set number of patients or excluding certain patients.

Or the third option - privatization, which the neocons were gunning for. Ostensibly most of the neocon leadership is gone but I still reckon there's a sizeable lobby for that with enough receptive ears in the Tory and Libdem parties. Probably not Corbyn's People party, he purged his party of everyone who wasn't full socialist. So it's technically not a cut, but it's still ensuring the NHS will fail, and using their inevitable failure as an argument for privatization. Deliberate sabotage just to score points and serve their donors, even the Tory party itself is in rebellion over this yet little has been done. Somewhat ironically a Tory failure to save the NHS will mostly kill the elderly, who tend to vote for the Conservative party, a terrible betrayal :/

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 18, 2017, 10:36:03 am »

May's speech was a bunch of posturing and impossible promises that will look good on headlines but will never happen. The EU has no reason to grant any of her demands.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 18, 2017, 10:36:56 am »

I'd like to know where you heard this from because it's objectively wrong; there is no hard or soft Brexit, there is leaving the European Union or remaining in the European Union. Do you read nothing but fake news? The only people campaigning to remain in the single market are the people who campaigned to remain in the European Union, because the economic union is the basis of the political union and would be a British exit of the Union in name only. Unless of course people voted to leave the European Union expecting the European Union to still control who we trade with or give total control of our border to the EU ::)
I'm sorry, it appears you missed all the "we'll leave the EU [mostly in the sense of 'no Schengen!', which we weren't in to start with] but it won't effect our trade at all" overtures.  That it isn't possible (except in Norwegian sense, or whatever other country-type exceptions were being lauded) never bothered the Leave spearheaders who said "it'll be alright, we're just doing this to stop Syrians entering Britain/cod from leaving British waters" and spouted all sorts of tinpot promises (amongst, admitedly tinpot promises from the other side - and tinpot threats in both directions way as well) that can't be delivered upon.

And, unlike the tinpot promises being given/broken before/after elections, the public is finding that they can't easily blame a particular party for lying to them and getting the opportunity to make the alternate decision the next time round.  (Not this way round, anyway. You could bet your bottom dollar that EuroRef2 would have been on the cards if a minor percentage of the population had scraped Remain.)

But we've been through this already. I read your blurb, every time, and stop myself from replying almost every time, but this time I did not.  Sated, I shall hopefully return to read-only on /dev/lw.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 18, 2017, 12:00:31 pm »

Those nations are entirely party to the obligations of the EU with no say as to how or what these obligations are except with the threat of complete withdrawal from their agreements.

Well, yeah. That's the cost of being integrated in the EU Market, and part of the reason that I though it better for the UK to stay in.

Second, does UK really trade with the rest of the world more than with EU, despite these high tariffs?
Yeah

So the EU account for an absolute majority of imports and something like 47% of exports. Out of £ 71.8 billions of total trade, the EU accounted for £36.9 billions in November, or 51,3 % of total trade.

I thought that it was otherwise, since UK exports are supposed to be high-tech, consumed mostly by highly developed markets like the ones in EU, and that the cheap Chinese labor would prevent its exports from making their way elsewhere. What and with whom UK does trade?
The Americas, BRICs and the Commonwealth mostly. High EU tariffs raise the prices of imports from our American, African and Asian trading partners, with consequent effects on consumer and retail prices as well as increasing the cost of production for British industries relying on foreign resources; through EU tariffs often we must buy German electronics when otherwise we could buy cheaper from Japan, USA or China, lowering competition for German industry.
www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/OverseasTradeStatistics/PublishingImages/Nov16_Import.gif

Well, 1st no, the EU account for more trade than Americas+BRICS+Commonwealth. Second, much protectionism such wow.

No, seriously, the EU is less protectionist than most major economies.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1073 on: January 18, 2017, 04:15:48 pm »

I'm sorry, it appears you missed all the "we'll leave the EU [mostly in the sense of 'no Schengen!', which we weren't in to start with] but it won't effect our trade at all" overtures.
It appears I have, as I have no such knowledge of these overtures having ever existed. Is there any evidence for the existence for such overtures? If you intend to sell the notion that Britons did not vote to Leave the European Union in any sense other than leaving the European Union, you best be selling it with some compelling evidence in tow.

That it isn't possible (except in Norwegian sense, or whatever other country-type exceptions were being lauded) never bothered the Leave spearheaders who said "it'll be alright, we're just doing this to stop Syrians entering Britain/cod from leaving British waters" and spouted all sorts of tinpot promises (amongst, admitedly tinpot promises from the other side - and tinpot threats in both directions way as well) that can't be delivered upon.
Well I don't think I heard anyone say that at all, they were saying we had to regain control over our borders and that foreign fishing trawlers had to respect our waters and preserve our ecosystem, which is altogether more reasonable than the image you present. Unless you are genuinely saying British fishermen hadn't the slightest clue about the fish they caught for generations. Tinpot promises made and tinpot threats made, both side and all, what is gained from it? It's a race downhill to dig up dead politicians claiming WWIII and infinite immigrants. It's a silly place in the tinpot

And, unlike the tinpot promises being given/broken before/after elections, the public is finding that they can't easily blame a particular party for lying to them and getting the opportunity to make the alternate decision the next time round.  (Not this way round, anyway. You could bet your bottom dollar that EuroRef2 would have been on the cards if a minor percentage of the population had scraped Remain.)
I don't think the doom mongering had all that much of an effect on the outcome; for every leaflet Osborne gave promising economic Armageddon there was a sleuth of common sense pervading all, at least, outside of London

But we've been through this already. I read your blurb, every time, and stop myself from replying almost every time, but this time I did not.  Sated, I shall hopefully return to read-only on /dev/lw.
Haha, fair enough

May's speech was a bunch of posturing and impossible promises that will look good on headlines but will never happen. The EU has no reason to grant any of her demands.
Examples of this are...?

Well, yeah. That's the cost of being integrated in the EU Market, and part of the reason that I though it better for the UK to stay in.
I can agree with you on that the UK had two options, complete withdrawal or complete remain, this odd bastard hybridization the libdems are gunning for makes me glad we had Clegg to ruin them

So the EU account for an absolute majority of imports and something like 47% of exports. Out of £ 71.8 billions of total trade, the EU accounted for £36.9 billions in November, or 51,3 % of total trade.
You're looking a the total for November, go to the aggregate annual data for 2008-2015, as individual months vary greatly in performance
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I made a thing to illustrate clearly the data behind my point
As time has moved on Europe has grown less and less important for the UK and more and more restrictive. Still very important, but not as important as the Americas, BRICS and the Commonwealth - there is simply more opportunities abroad, much larger export markets abroad than in Europe, whose economic growth has been much slower (or in the case of the Med nations, horrendous). Meanwhile the EU nations have increased their share in the British market and with external tariffs as they are, have much reduced competition with our older trading partners, actively making it so that we cannot choose the most efficient and qualitative products and services over the most european products and services. The benefit to British exporters to European markets does not outweigh the twofold cost of Europe's protectionism and the simple fact that we can't negotiate trade deals with our trading partners and the EU has failed to allow us to do so on our own behalf, leading to an obvious question: Why are we better off trading with lesser prospects than with older allies and richer prospects? If we can't negotiate trade deals that take advantage of the Anglosphere, the developing world and the Commonwealth we are terribly wasting the opportunities available to us, abandoning the majority of our trading opportunities to protect European industries that give little to us in service or capital. We're kinda getting fucked by such a system - notably, this system stops being beneficial to the UK after the 08 crash and the eurozone crisis. In review, unchecked derivative trading and a rigid European market had the consequence of the Europeans learned the value of sovereignty once more and European growth stopped being so pleasant.
Our average yearly growth and export rate respectively to the EU was 2.54 and -0.71 whilst for the world it was 1.07 and 5.04, the UK's future is with the world. Maybe this gives hopes to European federalists such as yourself, in that the UK was an anomaly that did not fit within the European Union's model, whilst the rest of the nation states within the EU only have credit and trade deficit issues to surmount?

Well, 1st no, the EU account for more trade than Americas+BRICS+Commonwealth. Second, much protectionism such wow.
First, it doesn't, and I do not rejoice in the EU being able to artificially support European industries in British markets through protectionism. Second, you're looking at the tariff rate for Electronic integrated circuits and trying to suggest that's representative of the European Union, not sure if an honest mistake or just dogeposting.

No, seriously, the EU is less protectionist than most major economies.
Ah, you're doing it again. Using tariff rates on manufactured products to represent the entirety of the European Union - manufactured goods are one of the EU's most liberalized industries.
Compare that with agriculture, the other end of the extreme:
Although barriers to trade between Member States have been removed, agriculture is probably the most protected sector in the European Union in terms of external barriers, through the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). The costs of protectionism in this sector are possibly the most damaging to economic welfare and provide a good illustration of why the UK should remain a force for more outward-looking reforms in the EU.

At the broadest level, it is estimated that the CAP costs EU citizens roughly €100 billion a year: €50 billion to consumers through higher food prices and €50 billion to the taxpayer.  The UK, as a net food importer, suffers particularly from higher food prices, impacting both on the consumer and on the food processing industry, which accounts for around 7% of GDP [Philippidis?]. Minford et al (2005) estimated that the CAP costs the UK 0.5% of GDP, and in economic and budgetary terms is probably the most costly factor of EU membership.

These costs arise in a number of different ways, and have different effects. The most significant economic distortion occurs through market price support, in the form of border protection (tariffs and import quotas), keeping cheap imports out and permitting artificially high prices. The results are manifold: welfare losses to consumers who pay a high cost through higher prices, resources diverted to agriculture from more productive sectors of the economy, and losses to third country producers through lack of access to markets and depressed (and volatile) prices.

The second element of protection arises through budgetary transfers (of the order of €30 billion) in the form of direct payments to farmers. Having said this, in June 2003 and April 2004, the EU agreed reforms to break the link between production and receipt of payments for many important products, albeit with some scope for a continuation of the status quo. Surplus produce is subsidised (the third element) and "dumped" on third markets.
You may find this report interesting, it was used by our gov and they came to the conclusion that in spite of its flaws, EU membership was worthwhile for as long as the UK was able to push reform through the EU, particularly in regards to non-tariff external barriers and the services sector. This was also before David Cameron renegotiated with the EU and returned to the UK with none of the reforms he requested. They also set the costs of exporting to the EU using a weighted average for the Common External Tariff + Admin costs at 8.7%, excluding any effect from EU subsidizing European companies - thus you can see why the UK is particularly concerned about the EU controlling who is allowed to import to it, whilst in France the sentiment is quite in the opposite direction, and in Germany, very popular.
There's also this I posted earlier which would be interesting to hear your words on.

I'm tempted to bring up my earlier sources for the case of EU fishing subsidies as yet another example, though for now I'll leave you with this worthless wikipedia quote regarding the CAP
The Treaty of Rome, signed in 1957, established the Common Market. It also defined the general objectives of a CAP. The principles of the CAP were set out at the Stresa Conference in July 1958. The creation of a common agricultural policy was proposed in 1960 by the European Commission, and the CAP mechanisms were adopted by the six founding Member States. In 1962, the CAP came into force.
Directorate-General for Agriculture and Rural Development in Brussels

The six member states individually strongly intervened in their agricultural sectors, in particular with regard to what was produced, maintaining prices for goods and how farming was organised. The intervention posed an obstacle to free trade in goods while the rules continued to differ from state to state since freedom of trade would interfere with the intervention policies. Some members, particularly France, and all farming professional organisations wanted to maintain strong state intervention in agriculture. That could not only be achieved unless policies were harmonised and transferred to the European Community level.

By 1962, three major principles had been established to guide the CAP: market unity, community preference and financial solidarity. Since then, the CAP has been a central element in the European institutional system.

The CAP is often explained as the result of a political compromise between France and Germany: German industry would have access to the French market; in exchange, Germany would help pay for France's farmers. Germany is still the largest net contributor into the EU budget. However, as of 2005, France is also a net contributor while the more agriculture-focused Spain, Greece, and Portugal are the biggest beneficiaries.

Meanwhile, particularly urbanised member states for which agriculture comprises only a small part of the economy (such as the Netherlands and the United Kingdom), are much smaller beneficiaries and the CAP is often unpopular with their national governments. Transitional rules apply to the newly admitted member states, which limit the subsidies that they currently receive.
Which is topical

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1074 on: January 19, 2017, 08:54:25 am »

Latest Boris gaff: Boris made a reference to The Great Escape to a Eurodiplomat, Eurodiplomat took it to mean he was calling him a Nazi. In order to clear things up, Theresa May made a reference to Fawlty Towers that in all likelihood they also won't understand.

So today's lesson is: Telling a joke should always be prefaced with knowing one's audience. And with a certain audience, don't mention the war
Scroll down to the Merkel, even the BBC knows not to mention the war

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 19, 2017, 09:02:35 am »

I still think that May appointing him FS was a great political move, if a dumb diplomatic one.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1076 on: January 19, 2017, 09:16:00 am »

I still think that May appointing him FS was a great political move, if a dumb diplomatic one.
Yeah, it consolidated the Tory party under her rule, kept her biggest threat under her watch and placated Boris with one of the great offices. I'm wondering if Boris would do more damage as Chancellor than as Foreign secretary or Home secretary. I'm sure Boris could mature in time to be Home secretary and I'm sure Amber Rudd could've done Boris's job without insulting all the leaders we're trying to form friendly relations with. It is possible he could cock up as Chancellor more than as Foreign Secretary though. I think this is yet more definitive proof that well-educated does not go hand in hand with wisdom, or for that matter, common sense

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 19, 2017, 09:20:28 am »

hrm. I think nowadays people seem anxious to find an excuse to get offended.  TBH I saw that stuff about the WW2 guards and didnt' glance twice.  It's just a lame comment, come on, it's not like he invaded poland or anything
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 19, 2017, 10:52:13 am »

hrm. I think nowadays people seem anxious to find an excuse to get offended.  TBH I saw that stuff about the WW2 guards and didnt' glance twice.  It's just a lame comment, come on, it's not like he invaded poland or anything

He's supposed to be Britain's diplomat-in-chief. Not insulting people at random is like, Diplomacy 101.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 19, 2017, 12:10:14 pm »

He's supposed to be Britain's diplomat-in-chief. Not insulting people at random is like, Diplomacy 101.
That's part 1 of Diplomacy 101. Acting like you're not insulted even when you feel like you're being insulted is part 2 of Diplomacy 101. Back in the days, diplomats often had to venture to lands full of people able to kill them with impunity, and being able to act dignified in the face of perceived slights was a pretty important skill. Most of the times, those weren't even intentional, but rather a product of cultural differences, like in this case.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 126