Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 126

Author Topic: Brexit! Conversation Continued  (Read 182517 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit! Conversation Continued
« Reply #1530 on: April 22, 2017, 12:45:10 pm »

When I saw the headline on the news-stand, I *splorf*ed...

(It hits The Times's paywall, but you get the gist from what little it'll display without crossing.  Try The Independent if you want. Or Reuters. Or Huffpo. Or... you can probably find it yourself, elsewhere.)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: April 22, 2017, 01:12:14 pm »

This is not unexpected. Donald Trump looks only after number one. TBH I think he was encouraging Brexit with the expectation of making the British easier to bully down the line.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: April 22, 2017, 01:14:14 pm »

The best bit was that Trump apparently asked ten times for a trade deal with Germany, before getting the message. It's not as if he was badgered into dealing with the EU, he just didn't know that this was what he was actually asking for until it was made plain to him...

Oh what a friend we have in Jesus Trump...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1533 on: April 22, 2017, 01:37:37 pm »

Spoiler: SKIMMED (click to show/hide)
Can say, no surprises there

Also gonna reply later, very busy atm

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: April 22, 2017, 01:57:38 pm »

When I saw the headline on the news-stand, I *splorf*ed...

(It hits The Times's paywall, but you get the gist from what little it'll display without crossing.  Try The Independent if you want. Or Reuters. Or Huffpo. Or... you can probably find it yourself, elsewhere.)
Well, so much for the "USA will save us and replace EU trade-wise!" part of the Brexit movement...

If this keeps up, and EU will manage to convince China to do the same, the Britain will be properly surrounded, which is a necessary stepping stone towards showing what happens to those who try to pull a fast one on the Soviet Union.
._.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: April 22, 2017, 02:07:06 pm »

This was not the EU. This was Donald.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1536 on: April 22, 2017, 03:21:40 pm »

This was not the EU. This was Donald.
Namely, Donald realising how the EU works.
"Ten times Trump asked her (Merkel) if he could negotiate a trade deal with Germany," the newspaper quoted a senior German politician as saying.

"Every time she replied, 'You can't do a trade deal with Germany, only the EU'," the politician said. "On the eleventh refusal, Trump finally got the message, 'Oh, we'll do a deal with Europe then.'"
Trump: Merkel, I want to make a trade deal with Germany
Merkel: You can make a trade deal with the EU
Trump: No I want to make a trade deal with Germany
Merkel: No, you can only make a trade deal with the EU
Trump: But I want to make a trade deal with Germany
Merkel: Germany is in the EU, you can make a trade deal with the EU
Trump: But I want to make a trade deal with Germany
Merkel: The EU trade deal will apply to Germany
Trump: But it isn't a trade deal with Germany
Merkel: The deal is with the EU, which represents Germany
Trump: But the deal represents the European Union not Germany
Merkel: The EU represents Germany, the deal is with the EU
Trump: So we're making the trade deal with Germany right
Merkel: It will have to go through the EU, yes
Trump: I've gone through this over and over again, Germany
Merkel: Germany's trade deals are conducted by the EU
Trump: I love Germany, that's why I want to negotiate a trade deal
Merkel: It is legally impossible for Germany to conduct a trade deal
Trump: So you're saying Germany doesn't want a trade deal
Merkel: No-
Trump: If Germany doesn't want trade deals I'll negotiate with the Europeans instead

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: April 22, 2017, 03:29:28 pm »

Stubborn goddamn Germans.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1538 on: April 22, 2017, 06:17:46 pm »

Haha, you'll be lucky mate. I'm still waiting on answers from him to about half-a-dozen questions.
I've given up trying to have a serious discussion, can't believe I managed to make it this far into 2017 still trying. Lord knows I am patient

"MPs urged not to sabotage Brexit" - Seems Theresa May has decided it will be considerably easier to conduct Brexit negotiations having eliminated pro-EU MPs from within her ranks
Don't agree with her decision, but hey at least people will not be going on for decades talking about how an unelected Prime Minister pulled the UK out of the EU

At least we can count on the British media to give us an unbiased view of the proceedings
Deploy orbital sides launcher

Now taking bets as to when exactly the UK will become a de facto one-party state, given the performance of the opposition.
Tbh reported to the police for seditious thoughts, please report to your local job centre for reeducation

As for self-determination within the UK, in an ideal world it could happen, but in practice, I don't think it can. Theresa May has been clamouring on and on about how the country needs to pull together, but failed to inform the Scottish government precisely when she was going to trigger Article 50, despite apparently having discussed it with the Welsh government - who voted to Leave, as opposed to Scotland's Remain.
That would be because she was in Wales, talking with the Welsh government
She met the first minister of Wales in Monday morning to talk about the future of Swansea and in Monday afternoon the date set for triggering article 50 was broadcasted to the entire country through the BBC. What are the SNP getting angry about, they weren't kicked out of Westminster - I don't see how Michael Russell hearing the set date for article 50 being triggered a few hours later from the Welsh suggests the UK is doomed to certain balkanization. The Majority of Scots oppose a second referendum while Nicola Sturgeon announced a second referendum without a mandate from the Scottish people, without informing Westminster ahead of time. This is why I think the obstacle to self-determination and Britain versus self-determination sans Britain is the SNP itself - it's creating a self-fulfilling prophecy by going on a warpath regardless of what its voters want. Seems cheeky that Michael can turn that into an insult, without considering what his party's actions look like to the rest of Britain

Seems a bit petty, and a little bit hypocritical after May's call for a grown-up relationship between the UK government and the devolved administrations. Further cheekiness from that, when she says she wants the relationships built on "cooperation and consensus" but just outright rejects Scotland's demands to remain a part of the common market as well as the UK. Also the whole "we need to focus on Brexit, you can't have your referendum. We're having a general election, by the way" thing, which essentially wastes two months of your two year negotiation process aimed at disentangling the UK from the past 40+ years of EU law and regulation.
There's nothing cheeky about rejecting the demand that Scotland remains a part of the single market and the UK, it's not a demand that can legally be satisfied:
There was further bad news for the SNP when Elmar Brok, a senior member of the European Parliament, also said there could be “no exceptions” to allow Scotland to remain in the single market.
The German MEP, chairman of the parliament’s foreign affairs committee, told BBC Radio Scotland: "We cannot have two agreements with the United Kingdom and with Scotland.
While it would be pretty awesome if the United Kingdom could simultaneously be an independent non-member of the European Union whilst a member of the European Union, it's not possible, nor do the European Union negotiators want to create such an exploitable precedence. In regards to EU law and regulation, the plan has been from the start to transfer EU law and regulation, thus causing no chaotic rush to disentangle 40 years of regulation; there is no issue there. The focus is very much regaining executive authority over how we run our country before deciding exactly what goals and how we run the country will be set

It seems that (at least the current) British government considers Scotland a petulant child that needs to be kept in line, but I'm also aware of my huge bias against the Tories and for Scotland.
Cameron's jellyfish crew gave off that tone, what with his whole infamous "pls don't destroy uk to piss off effin tories" speech, I don't see that in the current gov - who are stepping on eggshells since the SNP seems determined to turn anything into an insult with which to use against Britain. Despite the SNP always having a voice in Westminster, despite sending the Secretary of State for Scotland and other Ministers to discuss the future in Holyrood, the SNP then goes on saying it's a great insult to Scotland because Westminster didn't send David Davis - even though they invited him for March 16, the same day he was due to appear in the House of Commons. It's this whole thing of giving Westminster impossible demands, jumping at non-insults and then delivering insults in return - the SNP are trying to convince the majority of Scots who oppose more referendums that the English are Tories, that the Tories hold Scotland in contempt, and that the Scots hold the reverse in kind. I'm concerned it's gonna work, when unity seems so tantalizingly possible. Separating ourselves from a generation old trading bloc we were only half-heartedly in, that doesn't scare investors nearly as much as the prospect of breaking up a 300 year old union between the most integrated economies on the isles both using the same currency. Holyrood could keep losing independence referendums and it would still fuck up London, God knows what that would do to the rest of the country, and there's nothing much we can do if the SNP have decided they have the right to keep calling referendums whenever they feel like it.
Simply put, if the SNP tells you the Tories hold you in contempt, and the Tories tell you they don't, the former's far more trustworthy than the foreign latter. I suppose what I'm getting at is what could the Westminster gov do that would not be deemed an insult to Scotland by the SNP? It's painful having to defend why one rejects a Scotland remaining in the EU and UK option when the EU is adamant that that is impossible, this is not a decision Westminster has any capability to allow

Or Reuters. Or Huffpo. Or... you can probably find it yourself, elsewhere.)
Of note is that all of this comes from The Times quoting unnamed sources, which explains the tone. Trump wants to negotiate a trade deal with the EU, so the Times comes to the conclusion that this is a catastrophic setback for the UK. During the referendum The Times officially supported Remain, while The Sun officially supported Leave - both are owned by Murdoch, thus Murdoch was shoring off all possibilities and catering to all audiences' preferences. Personally I stopped taking much stock in Trump after I realized he liked talking up whoever he was talking to, whether it was Taiwan, Japan, UK or Germany, and I truly don't know how much cocaine he must be on to be able to U-turn so rapidly from "yeah gonna blow you up" to "wtf I like you now". My suspicions around the Times trying to spin this as the USA being incapable of conducting a trade deal with the UK and EU aside, I do wonder what the Whitehouse's official public statements will come to be. As it stands their official stance remains that the USA and UK will conduct a bilateral trade agreement ASAP. Trump is a hard one to understand. Personally I am not placing too much credit to the anonymous sources, partly on account of the Times's partisanship, partly on account that I sincerely hope the most powerful man in the world didn't actually not know how the EU nations conducted trade deals. Before attempting to conduct trade deals with the EU nations. Ten times.

This is not unexpected. Donald Trump looks only after number one. TBH I think he was encouraging Brexit with the expectation of making the British easier to bully down the line.
Nah, seems much more likely he did it to court the Anglophile vote in the USA when Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama made very public interventions against the UK.

It is because... There is this very obvious undercurrent here... that is very blatant.
But because it is so obvious it kind of can't be commented on, but sidestepped around.
It is because... This thing that is so obvious... So easy to point out... I can't say anything about it... But it's there... I won't tell you though...
-Every Neonivek post

Once again... Thank you?
You seem to have this idea that the ideal situation was for her to bravely bust down the door and slap the religion out of them... for the sake of... tolerance?
Launching into physical assault =/= Having my secular leaders submit to religious authority
Yeah nah don't see an obvious middle ground here. It's either genocide or shariah law

Oh wait nah, I gave you an example. Marine Le Pen didn't assault anyone, she canceled the meeting. Look, such a simple gesture, and it demonstrates far more spine - she shows she will not compromise her values.

So what is the enemy here?
"an equal right to maintain its own identity, culture, language, religion and customs"
Almost every serious politician now recognises that Honeyford was correct to maintain both that multiculturalism is a recipe for the segregation of communities and that it would work against the development of a single set of basic values that could bind members of British society together. But while multiculturalism may have been abandoned as government policy, its legacy is everywhere.
You seem to be running under the dogmatic assumption that multiculturalism is an inherent good. We've had a few decades of neolibs who wanted diversity because they saw it as an inherent good, without need for any justification except its own self-reference or it being the current year. We're doing our best to get rid of them, because it turns out keeping the peace between communities is harder than with individuals. That and the neolibs turned out to be covering for slavers but that's another story tbh

I think I may have just lost my mind for a moment, but is Neo attacking his own argument right now?
I am truly, seriously lost here.
Don't question it. Just accept it

What I find depressing is that I could actually see this happening if Trump was handling negotiations directly.
I like the story that Trump's daughter managed to convince him to launch air strikes on Syria with pictures of sad children

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: April 23, 2017, 10:41:52 am »

Don't recall that story. The only one I recall is Trump being basically goaded into authorising that airstrike that killed one US... marine?

r old daug

Aren't you mistaking it for th eYemeni raid where a SEAL died, as well as 30-odd civilians (including a 8-year old american which was the daugther of that preacher that got dron'd)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1540 on: April 23, 2017, 01:56:56 pm »

Don't recall that story. The only one I recall is Trump being basically goaded into authorising that airstrike that killed one US... marine?

Which, excluding the fact that people died, I found kind of amusing given the whole "Hillary is a warhawk!" shit that was being spewed.
This is the one in question

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: April 23, 2017, 03:20:39 pm »

The big uncertainty with Trump is that no one has any idea what he is going to do because he has no idea what he is doing. that's really dangerous.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: April 23, 2017, 05:39:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---

Then again... multiculturalism is the right to your own beliefs. So I guess it really could be argued as being an inherent good regardless of the hardships.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 05:43:19 pm by Neonivek »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: April 23, 2017, 05:52:39 pm »

It is because... There is this very obvious undercurrent here... that is very blatant.
But because it is so obvious it kind of can't be commented on, but sidestepped around.
It is because... This thing that is so obvious... So easy to point out... I can't say anything about it... But it's there... I won't tell you though...
-Every Neonivek post

My sides are now floating in the kuiper belt, thanks a lot.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: April 23, 2017, 06:12:43 pm »

-Every Neonivek post

My sides are now floating in the kuiper belt, thanks a lot.

Yep it is accurate. Still won't say... for a very good reason.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 126