Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Ignore this, since I can't seem to re-open it.

Yes
- 0 (0%)
No
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 02, 2017, 07:40:35 pm

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36

Author Topic: The Story of Atölasob (A Community Fort with an Export Challenge)  (Read 60380 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Atolasob (An Export Challenge...Among Other Things)
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2016, 06:01:23 pm »

Daggers are useless, but see if any of them wears a whip to make lasher military from?
Not yet, though I've been checking each one.

Swordsgangs is going to need more food, now. I guess Bomrek assumed fish was no problem last time....Unless starvation hits and the settlement falls. Then Swordgangs will need no food. I wonder what king will say to that?
I'm not sure if he's going to be more upset with Bomrek, or with Lotu, TBH.  Story-wise, that's still up in the air.  Or, something might happen that distracts him.  There is that goblin group in the south that has attacked the southernmost-outpost...

Not sure if your power train is secure.
Yes, because the side tiles are the tops of wall tiles.  Thieves won't steal built things, and the openings go straight through the war dogs.

Of course, I'm not sure how much you have on hand in addition to the earmarked 180 - leather armor and backpacks require another 180.
After the earmarked 180, I have almost 300 leather left, which should be plenty to make the armor, backpacks, and still leave enough for other things I like to use leather for.

Powder: That's about 5 bags, right? Let the hunt for bags begin!
Normally that's right...until you consider that one bag of sand holds one unit of sand (unlike milled powders).  That's 45 bags total.

This sort of intuitive sense is useful...Comes out to little more than 5 days per pearlash with 3 dwarves working on it. Hm, with 1 dwarf....<2 pearlash per month?
One of the things I'm really getting a feel for (which I didn't have before, despite almost a decade of playing) is how much game time does each job really take the average dwarf.  Most players probably pay more attention to RT equivalents (I know I did), because paying attention to export agreements isn't necessary in any way (yet), so the only real time limits are pretty much player-determined (since "Too Deeping" a fort was removed with the 3D introduction).  And yes, those numbers are about right, when you factor in drinking/eating/sleeping/break time, for low-level workers.

The first set of exports was more of an "oh, I'm not being efficient enough, and there's way too much cancellation spam, that's easy to fix." 

The pearlash was a rude wake-up call.  I wasn't expecting to complete it, but I did think I would make more than 68 bars.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Lyra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2016, 10:42:04 pm »

It seems like a lot of dwarves are unfocused - do you have the new locations set up yet, or is everyone just that busy trying to make quota?  It might be better in the long run to make them take breaks, since dwarves seem to work better when they're focused.  I can also foresee some trouble with the Mountainhomes brewing if we get any more ridiculous requests like the pearlash or fish.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2016, 07:30:16 am »

or is everyone just that busy trying to make quota? 
This.

It might be better in the long run to make them take breaks, since dwarves seem to work better when they're focused.
When I notice a yellow distracted arrow, I make that dwarf take a busman's holiday, and some of the assignment changes I mention from time to time are also due to trying to mitigate the "unfocused" thoughts.  But doing that for every dwarf is very micromanage-y, even with only 25 adults.  It wouldn't be possible in larger forts, and this one will grow (I hope).

Though at the moment, it's in the middle of nowhere, with only one civ settlement in the same general area, it's struggling to make quota, and there is no good story reason to get another migrant wave (I lucked out that the third one had Catten's family which, according to the legends, came from Swordgangs, I'd actually forgotten to turn the pop cap down to prevent that one).

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2016, 09:21:59 am »

Late Autumn 77, Swordgangs

Bomrek had gone through the quota from Finderboards.  "What!?  This is ridiculous!  40% of it incomplete, and where's the fish?  Extra meat isn't good enough, I want my fish!"

Meng scrambled to keep up with Bomrek's much longer strides as he stormed down the hall.

"Bomrek –"

"And that amount of pearlash will only get us so much clear glass!  We need the clear glass furniture!  It's so pretty."  Without seeming to draw breath he continued, "And with so few scepters and earrings, what are we supposed to trade to the elves and humans next year?"

Turning into his office, he tossed the accounting onto his desk and flopped into his chair.  "Bring me my pen and some paper, I need to light a fire under that so-called 'expedition leader' at Finderboards, he clearly doesn't know how to do his job."

Excerpts from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

3 Moonstone 77

Mooney and Besmar reported a "Tayldis sighting" today.  Apparently he was trying to hide in a pile of leaves with two friends. 

(OOC: Tayldis is in the middle.)

Neither had a chance to fire a single shot, as the threesome promptly took to their heels and headed south.

15 Moonstone 77

Minkot has finally finished the new farm plots.

Next step, planting the cave thistle seeds, as she has informed me that pig tails don’t grow in winter.  I tried to convince her that, as they grow underground, it doesn’t matter, but she wouldn’t budge.

Well, at least the kenaf and rope reed plots are producing well enough that even with the season’s delay in pig tails, we should be able to start stockpiling extra cloth.

At least no one seems to mind that we won’t have any dwarven ale for a while.

24 Moonstone 77

Mestthos gave birth beneath the dining room table today.  I’m just glad it didn’t happen on the table.

5 Opal 77

We are tripping over puppies everywhere.

Soon the dogs will outnumber the dwarves.

11 Opal 77

NCommander hasn’t been in her crafters’ for a while.  It turns out, she was training the oldest puppies into some more war dogs.

They’re going to help guard the depot for now.  I’ll probably find another use for them at some point.

24 Opal 77

This is Endok’s name-day, so we have yet another unsupervised child running around.

5 Obsidian 77

Lotu had gone out to get some more wood for carving.  Suddenly, as he passed beneath a tree, he heard a screech, and something struck his shoulder.

Dodging away, Lotu turned.

Having fallen to the ground, the little creature shot back up and charged at Lotu, screeching all the while.

Lotu grabbed at it, and managed to catch one toe.  Throwing it through the air, he punched followed through with a punch, which landed on the capuchin’s leg when the capuchin rolled away from the blow.

(OOC: The ! are more capuchins, overcome by terror.)

The capuchin rolled back to her feet and attacked Lotu, scratching his arm through his worn cloak.  Lotu swung his fist wildly, but the capuchin dodged it easily.

Charging after the creature, Lotu abruptly tripped over something.  Landing on his hands and knees, he looked over his shoulder to see two of the war dogs tearing the capuchin apart.  By the time they finished, the body had been mangled almost beyond recognition.

I’m sorry, little one.  I just wanted you to leave me alone.

Getting to his feet, he looked around at another distant shout, and saw Logem fighting off another of the creatures.  The war dogs took off toward their new prey, tongues lolling out, seeming to grin in eagerness at the prospect of a new victim.

9 Obsidian 77

A few days later, Ral noticed some more capuchins loitering near the bridge entrance as she was heading out for some more brewables.  They were crawling around, looking lost.

As Ral passed, a couple of puppies charge up, eager for some new playmates.

But apparently the capuchins don’t agree.

One puppy’s playing terrified the poor creature so much, it went scrambling back across the bridge, leaving a trail of blood behind.

When she brought the incident up later, Erib got a gleam in her eye.

“Capuchins might be useful, I know where we should put those traps!”

Dr. Urist moaned.  “No!  Not those ever-to-be-cursed traps again!”  And she promptly closeted herself in her library.

11 Obsidian 77

Spriggans was tending the kenaf farm when she heard the oddest sound.  Walking out onto the bridge, she spied her son Udil and her husband Lokum, both members of Imic’s Pale Roads, doing the oddest kind of back-and-forth dance.

“What’s going on?”  Spriggans called.

Neither said a word, but Udil raised a finger and shakingly pointed at the ground in front of them.

Spriggans huffed out an exasperated breath.  Men!  Out loud, she responded, “You HAVE axes!  Use them!”

“They’re for chopping!”  Lokum responded.

“They've blades, don’t they?”

A moment later, Lokum raised his axe high, and brought it down on the capuchin.

I would swear he had his eyes closed when he did that.

Shaking her head, Spriggans returned to the field.

14 Obsidian 77

“Erib, why haven’t you butchered those capuchins that have been killed over the last couple of weeks?”

“The ones th’dogs got’re too mangled for anythin’, the ones the Pale Roads got are in pieces that are too small t’do anythin’ with, and the ones the Pillars of Ink got are too far away t’be worth m’time.”

Lotu pinched the bridge of his nose.  “OK.  I’ll find someone to bring the useable corpses in for you.  Where do you want that stockpile?”

16 Obsidian 77

“Capuchin in the Hole!”

Capuchin in the…what?  Catten dropped the log she was carrying and went to investigate.  Sure enough…

“What’s it doing there?”  Catten wondered aloud, not expecting an answer.  It was crawling around, clearly injured, and looking very disoriented.

But it would have to be disoriented, to find itself here.

In the distance, she could hear Imic summoning his squad.  But, struck by the pitiful state of the little creature, Catten reached down and took a firm grip.  With one quick, sharp twist, she ended the animal’s misery.

There.  She won’t have to endure any more torture, poor thing.

20 Obsidian 77

Besmar killed the last capuchin today.  At least, I’m pretty sure it was the last one since we haven’t seen any others.  This one had also entered the depot accessway.

I’d like to get some of the dismantled traps back up to cover that, but every time I mention it to Dr. Urist, she starts muttering about poisons.  I’m letting it drop for now.

Erib says six of the corpses are useable, and has started butchering them.  The fresh meat makes for a nice change, but it’s the leather that will really come in handy.

I wonder if we could breed them for leather?

Well, no use pondering that until and unless we manage to cage-trap some.

28 Obsidian 77

Progress on the quota continues, but slower than I’d like.

It turns out that Sodel apparently felt so distracted, he took a month off to get his head back together without informing me.  How am I supposed to make sure progress continues at a good pace if I’m not aware of things like that?  It’s not as if I would have said ‘no’, but I could at least have gotten Lorbam to cover the clothiers’, temporarily.

OOC: Current character list:
Spoiler: Starting Seven: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: First Migrant Wave: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Second Migrant Wave: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Third Migrant Wave: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Births: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 09:24:57 am by Dame de la Licorne »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2016, 02:26:26 pm »

Capuchin...*looks it up* Not coffee, but slightly larger than cat food and booze thieves.

They should be easy to capture. More tricky to keep away with sealed doors, for you need wood.

Of course, with dogs producing puppies at max output to be eaten and tanned by their masters, they have lessened value.

2 weeks to build 2 16 square farm plots, hm? I don't myself use farm plots that size.

Meanwhile, quota work continues at about equal pace. At this rate, the wooden bracelets will take the longest I guess, even with leather armor rotting.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:41:12 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2016, 03:13:20 pm »

even with leather armor rotting.
Yeah, I realized that was happening just after the spring seasonal save.  Almost done playing through spring now, and the armor stocks now look more reasonable.

-Dame de la Licorne

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2016, 03:15:43 pm »

Could you mention imic saying something along the lines of rebellion, revolution, terrible ruler, bomrek is a big fat oaf, and the king is terrible at his job in the next few updates?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2016, 03:23:51 pm »

Could you mention imic saying something along the lines of rebellion, revolution, terrible ruler, bomrek is a big fat oaf, and the king is terrible at his job in the next few updates?
I'm sure I can manage something.

-Dame de la Licorne

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2016, 03:31:48 pm »

Hm...looking at Kogsak's character, Imic, it seems like there's conflicted finding of obligations confiding, retribution-seeking, keeping things practical and greedy for doing it, while respect of power, perseverance (how many throwing competitions again?), not liking thinking in the abstract, ability to handle stress, liking working outdoors and easily feeling discouraged against it.

Though speaking of rebellion/revolution, there is the possibility of killing king and swordgangs outpost in adventure mode, though by the time he would be violently expressing his dislike on fellow dwarves it is likely large fraction of fortress would be insane due that ability to handle stress.

(of course, one doesn't have to be held to preexisting characterization when narrating - this is just looking at the dwarf itself)

Dame de la Licorne: How did that happen, anyway?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2016, 03:45:41 pm »

I was specifically talking about the king and bomrek. Incompetent selfish-
*explode*
Lotu is nice. He wants to keep us alive. The king just wants a spear, and couldn't care less about these stupid peasants.
Dastard...
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2016, 06:30:11 pm »

What do you mean?

*explode*
Dastard...
Uh, isn't this every DF noble we've ever had?  And .23a and the early 3D versions were so much worse because we couldn't even pick someone halfway reasonable...

-Dame de la Licorne

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2016, 10:48:41 pm »

I mean getting leather and refuse into same stockpile :p Typo or what?

And indeed.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2016, 02:39:31 am »

What do you mean?

*explode*
Dastard...
Uh, isn't this every DF noble we've ever had?  And .23a and the early 3D versions were so much worse because we couldn't even pick someone halfway reasonable...

-Dame de la Licorne
You... Have a point. At least my old world's queen was a trader,cthough, and therefore actually useful...
If the king...
Can't he just join the miliatary as a speardwarf?
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2016, 06:24:29 am »

@Fleeting Frames: I simply hadn't de-selected armor when I was setting up that refuse pile (which had a dump zone on top of it, so some stuff was forbidden but some stuff wasn't).

@Imic: According to legends, he's lost every spear-throwing competition he's ever entered.  Although a player fort's bootcamp might make a difference, and given that he's a cheesemaker by trade, I have no problems with that.  It'll be good for RPing, if we ever get to that point (and I don't want the king coming until it makes story-sense).

-Dame de la Licorne

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2016, 08:07:30 am »

1 Granite 78

“Where’s my emerald silk cloth?”  Sodel hunted through the selves in his clothiers.  “An’ why is the sheep wool over here!?  I walk away for one month…”

“Oh, I reorganized for you.  Now everything is so much easier to find.”  Walking by, Lorbam had overheard the mutterings and now lounged in the door.

“No it ain’t!  It’ll take me forever to find stuff, and all my clothes will have completely rotted away by then.”  Sodel grumbled.  “D’you really want to see a bunch of naked dwarves running around?  The children’re bad enough.”  He shuddered at the thought, and Lorbam blanched.

“You have a point.  I could—“

“No!  You’ve done enough, now leave me be to figure out this mess!”  Angrily waving the other dwarf away, Sodel went back to contemplating the shelves and muttering.

3 Granite 78

What is it about underground crops that makes them so finicky?  The above crops –

“LOTU!”  Imic’s roar could have been heard in Swordgangs.  Rapid footsteps approached, and Imic burst into the crafters’ where Lotu had been working, brandishing what appeared to be a suit of armor.

Warily, Lotu looked up at his friend.  “What?”

“Do you know what those idiots are doing?!”  The armor was shoved beneath Lotu’s nose.  The latter recoiled at the stink rising from it.

“I assume you’re about to tell me.”  He said mildly.

“They’ve been putting the armor, Olon’s brand-new armor, into the refuse pile!”

Lotu stared.  “What?”

“This!”  Imic shook the armor hard.  “This’s brand-new last month!  And now, lookit it!  All tattered from the rats that’ve been chewin’ on’t!”

Lotu rose.  “I’ll take care of it.”  And that does explain why Olon’s reported progress doesn’t match Lorbam’s numbers.

Imic followed.  “An’ ‘nother thing.”

“Yes?”  He asked even more warily than the first time.

“Why’re we givin’ our armor, that my boys need, t’tha’ incompetent prick Bomreck!”

“Because King Dodok—“

“An’ tha’s ano—“

Lotu’s hand shot up to cover Imic’s mouth.  With a quick look around, he pulled the other dwarf into a corner of the pasture, away from the workshops and other dwarves.

“Don’t!”

Imic glared.

“Listen!”  Lotu urged, almost in a whisper.  “We have how many fighting-capable dwarves?  Six.  How many dwarves are in King Dodok’s army in Theaterknowledge alone?”

Imic admitted reluctantly, “Quite a bit more’n that.”

“How well equipped would you say they are?”  But that was clearly a rhetorical question as Lotu continued, inexorably hammering his points home.  “And our best weapon is a poorly-crafted iron axe.  The Pillars of Ink don’t even have proper bolts.  Mooney’s been bitchin’ about havin’ to use wooden ones for months, but where I we going to get metal right now?”

Imic shrugged, silent.

“And what do you think will happen to us if King Dodok decides to send his steel-armored, steel-armed soldiers here?”

Imic scowled.

“We can’t, literally cannot afford to make anyone that mad.  Not while we can’t even work our way through the aquifer, let alone build and arm a proper defensive force.”

Imic crossed his arms, and his scowl intensified.

“You think I don’t get it?  You really think I’m happy trying to juggle Bomrek’s demands with everything else there is to do ‘round here?”  Lotu gestured helplessly. “You think I want to spend my time making useless scepters and crowns, when I should be digging?”

Imic grumbled something softly enough that Lotu chose not hear it, at least in an official capacity.

“Listen.  I’ll check with Lorbam, but Olon should have enough leather left over, even with that stockpile snafu, to make enough extra armor that your boys can get some.  Naturally, we’ll keep the best for ourselves.  Go, sit down with Mooney, and make a list.  Everythin’ you want, and what you really need.  Prioritize.  I’ll see what I can get you.”

Imic snorted out a breath, and clapped Lotu on the shoulder, making the other dwarf’s knees bend, just a little.  “Yer righ’, fer now.  Bu’ someday…”

Lotu watched him walk away.  You’re absolutely right.  Our king is a feckless incompetent, at everything, including those spears he likes so much.  Bomrek is a narcissistic self-centered selfish bastard.  And someday…we’ll be ready. 

8 Granite 78

I told Erib to thin the aurochs and two-humped camel herds today, so Olon now has two more pieces of leather to work with. 

I need to increase leather production.  Erib says turkeys work for that, I’ll need to order some in the fall.

10 Granite 78

The elves have returned, and they apparently think we’re wealthy.  There’s four of them heading for the depot, instead of the previous years’ two.

With all of the quota work, I realized we have very little to trade.  Only the last few glass items Mebzuth made last autumn before I shifted his duties.  It looks like Mebzuth will be excused from quota production, as soon as he finishes collecting sand.

16 Granite 78

The elves haven’t received the message.  The extra two pack animals were carrying tons of more useless wooden crap, and another of those benighted keas.  We don’t want keas! 

I did buy all of their brewable fruit, as sand pears make surprisingly good cider.  I also bought a lion and a leopard, which NCommander assures me are trainable.  She’s working with them now.  And I bought a hippo and some large birds, an emu and an eagle.  Maybe Ral can try cooking at some point?  I miss the occasional poached egg I used to have back home.

Before trading:                                                  After trading:

18 Granite 78

Babies keep growing.

And I have to wait another eleven years for her to get large enough to be useful.

25 Granite 78

Mooney’s been having more and more of his episodes lately.  I noticed because Besmar and Ustuth have been shadowing him more closely than usual.

I’ve ordered a fourth crafters’ built, so he can take some time off and still feel useful.

7 Slate 78

And another.

I suppose there are worse things.

10 Slate 78

After making  a few crafts, Mooney insists that he’s feeling better.

I still insisted that he take the rest of the month off.  Some praying and socializing, free from bird-related stress, is exactly what he needs.

And maybe he’ll finally sit down with Imic and get Lorbam that list?

7 Felsite 78

“Waaaaahhhh!” The sobs could be heard throughout the cramped settlement.

Spriggans looked up from the kenaf plot she was tending, and cocked her head.  “Yup, that’s Udil.”

Abandoning her task, the weeds would still be there later, she went to find her adult son.

Wrapping her arms around him, she pulled him to her, as she had throughout his childhood whenever he had skinned a kneed or banged into furniture.

“There, there.  There, there.  Tell Mum all about it.”

Udil burrowed his head into her shoulder.  “Atir –hic– Likotath –hic– ser is –hic– is dead!”  He sobbed.

Spriggans pursed her lips.  The dog had been gravely injured fighting with the capuchins in Obsidian, but after so long she had really thought he would pull through.

Hugging him a little more tightly, she rubbed gentle circles on his back.  Eventually the sobs eased, and she leaned back, rubbing thumb gently beneath his eyes.

“The only thing we can do for him now, is make sure he has a decent burial.”  Udil sniffed, but nodded.  “And,”  Spriggans continued, “I’m sure Atir wouldn’t want you to be alone, so why don’t you go ask NCommander to assign you another one?”

“No other dog can take Atir’s place!”  Tears welled up in Udil’s eyes and Spriggans quickly backtracked.

“I’m not saying that.  But another dog can give you comfort, and help you with Atir’s loss.”

Udil looked at his mother for several minutes, before finally nodded.  Getting, somewhat awkwardly, to his feet, he walked away, still sniffling.

Spriggans looked after him for a moment.  He’ll be fine.  It’s better to learn such things early.

21 Felsite 78

Lotu was having lunch with Airith, NCommander, Dr. Urist and Lorbam, discussing the current status of various projects around the fort, when their attention was diverted by a sudden outburst from the training corner.

“It’s mine!”  Imic cried, snatching back the shield Udil had just wrestled away from him, and hugging it to his chest.  “Mine!”

Udil stood there, confused.  “I wasn’t really taking it…we were sparring, commander.”

Imic seemed to relax a little.  “Just’s long’s you know, it’s mine.  That Bomrek’s not takin’ this.”

Excerpt from the journal of Lotu Sizzlediron, expedition leader.

28 Felsite 78

Another season done and, even with that armor issue at the beginning of spring, Olon has almost finished that part of the quota.

The clothing…we need to ramp that up.

Current character list:
Spoiler: Starting Seven: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: First Migrant Wave: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Second Migrant Wave: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Third Migrant Wave: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Births: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NPCs: (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36