Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How fun is SPAMKINGDOM series?

Mind-bogglingly popular game series that you follow from early on and cannot stop, waiting for new installment like a drooling addict.
Long-runner soap opera you're too invested into to just stop watching it.
A fun little comic strip in the daily newspaper that's been around forever.
3/6
Who said it's fun? I didn't for sure.
I'm just waiting here for it to die horribly already so it will stop showing on my Unread Posts list.

Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 1087

Author Topic: SPAMKINGDOM#: Emperor Houlandin IV of Methiant-Cydwyl!  (Read 709747 times)

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMKINGDOM#: Emperor Cyl I of Methiant!
« Reply #9045 on: March 25, 2018, 08:33:28 pm »

I have so many questions before enacting settlement policy.

Enact Settlement Policy:
Guarantee that those willing to settle in previously undeveloped lands or territories yet unclaimed by any nation will be given a certain amount of money to help further their effort. However, this might cause a severe drain on the Treasury, especially during times of sudden, mass migrations to the countryside.

1) Is this mainly targeted at redistributing our people or attracting foreigners to move closer?

2) Do we even get a claim on the new territory? I have to assume so or else what are we paying for, but it doesn't actually say so. If they're discontented Methiantese, perhaps they'll set up their own state that just happens to share most of our culture and values at its start. If foreigners, perhaps they'll be grateful but not wish to be fully integrated – some sort of quasi-vassal at most.

3) Is it really a variable amount with "sudden, mass migration"? I would think it would be easier to put some regular money in a fund, first come first served sort of deal. We've done "regional improvements" before on a system of pay a few years, eventually get a yield of some sort (Zasitost, Tiftit, even central Methiant way way back).

4) Are we able to target a specific area, like the area between Tiftit and the northern Parsians, or even send all takers to homestead in Orcworld? Or do they just have to make an affidavit, "I swear on this non-denominational codice of Methiantese proverbs that I'm on my way to some wilderness"?

B or A anything but don't bring the salts

the salt will bring 0 profits to +1, but the +1 only comes with a 6 last time, AAAND, we will be losing -1 of the gems, the furs seems like they will be sold for high prices maybe rolling a bad number will be the same as not selling the gems which is enough

To clarify, the earlier trade broke even on a roll 1to5: that is, we paid -1 for the salt and gained +1 back reselling it. It turned a profit (-1, +2) on a roll of 6. Trading the gems would be paying the same -1 price to acquire it as before.

My best guess how the passage tax would affect this is to make the success roll at -1. So we can never get that six and only break even money wise but we still have happiness. Every so often we'd get 0 and lose money. (Alternative guesses all involve some other mechanism to periodically mess with our profits. Since the margin on salt is so low, it easily becomes a money loser – but still a happiness gainer.)

Not knowing how the furs work mechanically, it's pure speculation whether selling them at home is worth it. The closest equivalent I've seen is probably the ketton cloth, a luxury fabric that varied quite widely from year to year. Selling furs abroad may or may not cause double the passage tax woes; we probably wouldn't know unless we try. Erik's testimonial suggests they have a significant happiness component, but only high end buyers will be interested whereas everybody wants a pinch of salt in their stew.

It's a semi-permanent trade of money for happiness (or, if reselling to the south, for the hope of more money). The thing is, I personally don't think we need to semi-permanently buy happiness when we already have glassware and future wine. Also, it's possible either or both the wine conversion and the big Orcworld bastion are ongoing projects with an ongoing drain. In that case we don't have spare money in the first place for a few years.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:35:46 pm by mightymushroom »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #9046 on: March 25, 2018, 09:03:12 pm »

C

Happiness is consistently low. Additionally, we've pissed the nobility off. It's a real bad idea to have both angry peasants and angry nobles.
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9047 on: March 25, 2018, 11:05:49 pm »

A

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9048 on: March 26, 2018, 12:14:34 am »

I have so many questions before enacting settlement policy.

Enact Settlement Policy:
Guarantee that those willing to settle in previously undeveloped lands or territories yet unclaimed by any nation will be given a certain amount of money to help further their effort. However, this might cause a severe drain on the Treasury, especially during times of sudden, mass migrations to the countryside.

1) Is this mainly targeted at redistributing our people or attracting foreigners to move closer?

2) Do we even get a claim on the new territory? I have to assume so or else what are we paying for, but it doesn't actually say so. If they're discontented Methiantese, perhaps they'll set up their own state that just happens to share most of our culture and values at its start. If foreigners, perhaps they'll be grateful but not wish to be fully integrated – some sort of quasi-vassal at most.

3) Is it really a variable amount with "sudden, mass migration"? I would think it would be easier to put some regular money in a fund, first come first served sort of deal. We've done "regional improvements" before on a system of pay a few years, eventually get a yield of some sort (Zasitost, Tiftit, even central Methiant way way back).

4) Are we able to target a specific area, like the area between Tiftit and the northern Parsians, or even send all takers to homestead in Orcworld? Or do they just have to make an affidavit, "I swear on this non-denominational codice of Methiantese proverbs that I'm on my way to some wilderness"?

1. Both. People migrate much more into the country, slowly but steadily bringing the Population to 8, so you no longer need a chain of conquests, good harvests and festivals to bump it up.

2. They are sponsored by the Crown, thus they have to respond to the Crown. They would be almost 'next door', after all.

3. The moment you send 'colonists' to settle a specific area, you get a 1 drain. Otherwise, the policy is free (you might get extra events, too).

4. Yes, but even then you will get prompts that 'people want to move to unclaimed lands of X, pls sponsor per Policy guarantee'.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9049 on: March 26, 2018, 04:32:04 am »

Wait it doesn't constantly drain moneys?

We need to pass this and settle the mountains and orc world.  Or as we should be calling it New Methiant.

B

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9050 on: March 26, 2018, 07:47:10 am »

C, and maybe ask whether they'd be up for trading B for Wine when it comes into production in a few years.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9051 on: March 26, 2018, 08:33:56 am »

--answers--

Okay, that all makes much more sense now. It was the part where we get replacement growth to compensate for the settlers that wasn't coming through before.

• Regular (instead of chaotic) population growth up to level 8.
  • Requests for crown sponsorship of new settlements; loss of happiness or similar problems if we don't follow through I assume?
  • Requests (and their expenses) can stack up, which may be a problem because we've "guaranteed" payment.
  • Sounds like we can also start a desired project; however our initiative may exacerbate the drain by pushing a project that then gets stacked upon.

Sounds workable, if potentially costly. Since 8 pop pays an extra bit of tax, it's sorta self-sustaining ... until those requests stack. And they will, because No Free Lunch Territory.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9052 on: March 26, 2018, 10:39:05 am »

Is exact amount of B and C... please untie ;v
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9053 on: March 26, 2018, 10:50:07 am »

A
No.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9054 on: March 26, 2018, 10:53:06 am »

Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
SigFlags!

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9055 on: March 26, 2018, 11:57:25 am »

B Happiness isnt that hard to get

Edit  l Whoosh
       V
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:02:57 pm by Fluffe9911 »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9056 on: March 26, 2018, 11:58:49 am »

Changed from C to B to break tie. Original voting post edited.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9057 on: March 26, 2018, 12:35:52 pm »

You agree to send the gemstones to the Cydwyls in return for Albionese skins and furs, prized for their luxurious softness.

The feasting continues for another day, but King Erik isn't particularily fortchoming about possible agreements or other deals. Maybe you should prod him a bit about something?

A) Trade!
B) Military!
C) Religion!
D) Family!
E) Naaah.
SigFlags!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9058 on: March 26, 2018, 12:38:24 pm »

D

changed ifnal time i swear
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:05:21 pm by Blood_Librarian »
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9059 on: March 26, 2018, 12:39:36 pm »

We already have trade, military agreements, a lack of interest in religion, and close family ties...

E
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 1087