Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 561

Author Topic: Fan art competition! *Moving sound*  (Read 1424878 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Fan art competition!
« Reply #3495 on: February 27, 2010, 08:33:21 pm »

Its paradolia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

Not a lot of study has been placed into the phenomena as of yet. A 2009 study, shows that face recognition is an early cognitive function, but it didnt go into possibly evolutionary path for it. Carl Sagan is of the similar thought to you, Sensei.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Stove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: February 27, 2010, 09:03:02 pm »

Pareidolia is one of my favourite things in the world.

I wonder what it says about my psychological state that I had so much difficulty spotting the "ghost" in the picture. Normally I experience pareidolia almost constantly when I look at anything with any degree of visual noise. Faces everywhere!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: February 27, 2010, 09:50:20 pm »

What it means, Stove, is that you will never survive a ninja attack.

But more seriously, I'm also a fan of the theory that the more you want/expect something to be there, the more likely you are to see it- whether or not it's really there.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Stove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: February 27, 2010, 10:13:57 pm »

But I, myself, am the legendary Lobster Ninja!

And I'm also a pirate and a viking, both of which can easily defeat a ninja, no matter what anyone says!

Interestingly, the psychology of pattern perception/magical thinking gave me some pretty interesting ideas about how magic should work in Dwarf Fortress. I planned to write up a big long post in the Suggestion forum, and then I discovered in one of the podcasts that many of the ideas I came up with were things Toady had already planned.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: February 27, 2010, 10:18:00 pm »

But more seriously, I'm also a fan of the theory that the more you want/expect something to be there, the more likely you are to see it- whether or not it's really there.

Is that something like projected psychology?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: February 27, 2010, 10:43:25 pm »

Is that something like projected psychology?

It's related to the way the brain works; you need to remember that the amount of information coming in through your 5 senses is far too much for the brain to have any hope of processing all of it. So the brain cheats, it only actually processes the important bits, and then it actually makes up the rest. 99.9% of the time it gets it right, because the brain is really good at making stuff up, sometimes it gets it wrong, and that leads to things like seeing faces out of the corner of your eyes, or thinking you heard something.

Of course, when it all goes wrong, you have hallucinations.

The only real reproducable example of this is the blind spot, an area of your vision that the eye cannot actually see because the retina gets in the way, your brain is constantly making up the contents of the blind spot, and if you know where it is and how to use it, you can have great fun with it. I used to amuse myself in long classes by using it to erase my teacher's head, as the brain would look at the 'border' of the blind spot, determine that the border was mostly the white space of the whiteboard, and so fill the blind spot with white space, erasing the teacher's head.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: February 28, 2010, 12:35:36 am »

How did you arrest your eye well enough to make that work? I can't seem to hold my blind spot still for longer than a second.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: February 28, 2010, 12:50:33 am »

How did you arrest your eye well enough to make that work? I can't seem to hold my blind spot still for longer than a second.

I started doing this again reading these forums. It's really easy to do it for you left eye. Just read the forums with only your left eye. As you read along, suddenly the poster's avatar will vanish, replaced by the grey background of the forum. I noticed Captain Mayday's "&" vanishing while reading Nist Akath last year and I can't stop myself from trying to make other avatarts vanish.  :P
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

When Dwarf Fortress gives you lemons, you mod them to have [DAMBLOCK:80][FLIER][FIREBREATH].

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: February 28, 2010, 01:46:11 am »

What are the repeated symbol thingies that blend in with the branches in the haunted forest scene? Some sort of signature? I count 3 whole ones, 1 partial, and 1 thing that looks like a partial reflection. Two of them in essentially a vertical line just to left of center in the image.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: February 28, 2010, 01:58:53 am »

I think that is the same'ghost' that everybody else mentioned.

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: February 28, 2010, 04:22:00 am »

With the youtube style red circle I have marked the ghost that I saw.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
if there is a different one, i cant find it.

You know, I really like the way he seems to be taking one step towards the viewer. That's the way I like to see things that are sinister. Too often are things ruined by "scary music", jolting sounds or overblown physical cues.

For instance:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: February 28, 2010, 02:08:11 pm »

Hey guys lets talk about DF related art!
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: February 28, 2010, 02:47:34 pm »

/gasp A radical, get him!
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: March 02, 2010, 10:09:54 am »

No. You should POST ART here, not talk. Silly ones...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: March 02, 2010, 02:52:23 pm »

Here's some headshots of characters done for a forum RP game I'm DM'ing.

They're pretty DF-related, seeing as all these races appear in Dwarf fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 561