Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 876492 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V1.75 - 32x - 44.03 - Win/Mac/Linux - Updated 28th Dec
« Reply #330 on: December 30, 2017, 02:14:36 am »

I didn't notice all the skulls at first – just thought they were twigs and rocks and was trying to figure out why you thought it was overdone. It's kind of a lot of skulls and bones, but I don't think it looks overdone unless I zoom in. The low contrast and darkness helps the make the bones more subtle. I'd like to see those winking eyes.

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 30, 2017, 04:30:09 am »

Good biome looks awesome!

Love the sprites with the little corpses and skulls.

I don't like the green colors of cavern 1 and 2. Floor fungus in real life tends to be mostly white with spots where the color of the cavern floor shines through.

Maybe colors like

could fit, but I think grass-green should be reserved for the surface.

Cavern 3 looks really cool, I like how the rose-thorn and blood thorn plants blend in with the floor.

Fantastic!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 30, 2017, 05:19:24 am »

Is it intentional that v1.7.5 includes the vanilla /data/init/colors.txt palette?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #333 on: December 30, 2017, 05:53:04 am »

Is it intentional that v1.7.5 includes the vanilla /data/init/colors.txt palette?
Yeah. The raw/colors.txt and seasonal colors exist, which are used by default. But if people say "I dont want this fancy nonsense" and turn it off, they go back to vanilla.

Kromtec: I cheated a bit and gave the first cavern no grass. DF doesn't like that and fills it with a default "grass", which colors the floor tiles green, without changing their style. That means the green is hardcoded. Then I added a green fungus for cavern 2, because the cavern grass starts growing everywhere together, as soon as you breach more than 1 cavern. They have to fit together. I took green, dark green and cyan, because they don't look too horrible when all three are mixed in the same room. Maybe not realistic colors for floor fungi, but than again there are made-up nether-cap mushrooms that a blue and goblin-cap mushrooms that are red... so I think I'm good. ^^

Japa: There are only two. Depths of grass and depths of tree. The grass doesn't affect anything, because all three layers end up with grass and it makes no game-play difference at all. The trees, as I said, a tiny bit. I left in the original depths as comments in the raws, depending on feedback I can easily undo the change.

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 30, 2017, 09:56:38 am »

Really great work! It's just amazing what you carved out of dwarf fortress and TWBT here!

A quick question: I downloaded your 1.75 version and tried to add two custom races I used before. An orc and a succubi race. Everything works fine so far but the corpses are odd. The corpse of the orcs looks like one of your consturction sprites and the corpse of the succubi looks like a dead small spider. I digged through your overrides.txt to find the corpse section but now I'm a little puzzled what lines I have to add to override the orc and succubi corpse. Can you enlighten me how to find the proper override lines I need to identify the corpse IDs?

Also, I noticed that the corpsepiece refers to _MDF_overrides_1 which then shows up as a miniforge or so...I changed it to _MDF_overrides_2:205 to look like older versions of your tileset.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #335 on: December 30, 2017, 10:03:00 am »

Based on the feedback I got, two changes.

Evil region looks more different from the HFS. Now looks more like a swamp/tendril with eyes.

Cavern 2 floor grey instead of green. That sets it more apart from cavern 1 (green) and cavern 3 (cyan), and still fits when mixed, since grey is neutral. Also, the original DF floor fungus is grey.

Edit: Also, new giant mushrooms.

@Novaris: Corpses use tile numbers. Go to the creatures, find the CREATURE_TILE number and make it 11. It only works with non-civ members though. Overrides dont work for civ-members, so if you play the orcs/succubi, best to make them 253. Thanks for the heads up on the typo, I fixed the corpsepiece override. :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:12:53 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 30, 2017, 10:35:18 am »

I tried this but this just turned the corpses into cages. I don't play them I just test it in the testing arena. The plan is to slaughter them by the hundrets in many dwarfy ways ;)

EDIT: But thanks for the suggestion I guess I have to dig more into it or adjust the CREATURE_TILE to something the resembles what I want the closest.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:40:19 am by Novaris »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 30, 2017, 11:00:29 am »

New evil biome stuff looks great.

But the tendrils need to wiggle!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #338 on: December 30, 2017, 11:19:24 am »

I tried this but this just turned the corpses into cages. I don't play them I just test it in the testing arena. The plan is to slaughter them by the hundrets in many dwarfy ways ;)

EDIT: But thanks for the suggestion I guess I have to dig more into it or adjust the CREATURE_TILE to something the resembles what I want the closest.
Strange. 11 is in the overrides, [OVERRIDE:11:I:CORPSE:CORPSE::_MDF_overrides_2:174:15] #humanoid, I use it myself a lot.

EDIT: Tested again. Interestingly enough, corpse overrides do not work for INTELLIGENT and/or CAN_LEARN creatures. I thought it was civ-members, but in fact it does not work for any corpses of sentient beings. Thanks, you just helped me find a bug that concerned 205 creature corpses. ^^

New evil biome stuff looks great.

But the tendrils need to wiggle!
Like this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It sadly takes up soooo many tiles. I try to avoid overrides for grass (since transparent items on top would delete the override), but the evil grass alone takes 9 tiles. ^^
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 11:32:03 am by Meph »

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 30, 2017, 11:35:51 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Looking at this, it becomes a pity that the game does not have a portable flamethrower)) Сhic art.

Novaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 30, 2017, 12:15:19 pm »

Glad i could be of service ;)

Kromtec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 30, 2017, 04:50:23 pm »

I'm almost 3 years into my fortress with 1.75 and wanted to say thanks for this awesome set and thanks to Vordak for all the dwarfy Dwarves.
The recent changes to cavern 2 and evil region look gorgeous!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #342 on: December 30, 2017, 05:21:29 pm »

I'm almost 3 years into my fortress with 1.75 and wanted to say thanks for this awesome set and thanks to Vordak for all the dwarfy Dwarves.
The recent changes to cavern 2 and evil region look gorgeous!
Uh, could you please upload a save? I'm super curious how it looks. Any issues?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 30, 2017, 05:35:45 pm »

I like the new giant cavern mushroom cap texture. Those lighter-colored spots make them look more like mushroom. The new texture with brighter blue makes the nether cap look less like water.

Those blinking tendril eyes are nice and creepy.

Testing out what the cave grasses might look like together:

Spoiler: white moss (click to show/hide)

Having the white moss a little yellow helps it stick out a bit more from the walls. A little yellow tint might not look too cancerous.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 30, 2017, 06:08:56 pm »

Your pack looks gorgeous down in the earth where everything can be smoothed and lovely, but I seem to have a bone to pick with most large-res packs like this in regards to surface stuff, where grass/trees/etc collide with the solid backgrounds of units or other tiles in a really unsettling way. Is there a way past this, design wise, in your experience? Your unit sprites are gorgeous, I just wish the surface tiles meshed more happily.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 187