Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 62599 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #195 on: January 15, 2017, 06:22:40 am »

I have looked in the literature available for the switch and have yet to find an SD card slot.

There is a game cartridge slot that is about the same size, but not an SD Card slot. There IS a USB-C socket, so there might be hope, but all the documentation I am seeing says it will not work as storage out of the box, and has a planned update.

To me, that means there will be issues with running out of space on the console for people (like me) who use downloaded titles so they dont have to carry around a gazillion game carts.

Seriously, I bought a microSD card to MemoryStick adapter for my PSP, so that I could put 200gb of storage on it, just to avoid carrying around those damned UMDs.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 15, 2017, 07:30:09 am »

SD card slot behind the stand can support up to a 256GB card. Will find link later.
It can support up to 2TB via microSDXC, but needs a firmware update to do it. Supports 256GB microSDHC out of the box, apparently. Inferred from translated info on the japanese Nintendo Switch page, where it lists SDHC and SDXC both but says that a downloaded update will be required for SDXC support.

And yes it's behind the kickstand:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 15, 2017, 12:33:52 pm »

heres a useful review of the switch. he goes in to how the controllers feels and the launch lineup along with other stuff.

and if you want to try it out nintendo is doing demo events found here
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 15, 2017, 01:24:54 pm »

So yeah, people don't mind toting around a phone that's big like that. The question is... will they tote around their phone plus a gaming system? I doubt it. Unless the gaming system can outright replace their phone it's not going to happen.

Phone + tablet + Switch is the real question.

Lots of people do carry a tablet around with them. But 2 tablets, one of which comes with protruding controllers?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 15, 2017, 01:27:51 pm »

(diffrent) Friend claims the changing clock rates will kill the console because developers will have to limit their game's capabilities to the mobile mode and not the docked mode.  After all the game needs to be able to run both ways.

I'm hoping devs will be able to do the cool thing and just reduce graphics or do best approximation calculations when it switches to mobile mode.  Why not just treat it like how pc games have worked.  Give the game 2 preset graphical and processing settings and have it switch between them like pc games can.

Or (here's the one they probably won't do) Let devs force the system to run on high power mode at all times when their game is running.
Honestly I don't think having to spec games to mobile is going to harm the console that much. It just means the devs will have to get creative instead of just throwing more graphics at problems.

Just like with the 3DS, it encourages creativity with art styles and presentation. Time will tell if that's enough tho. As has been mentioned, the launch lineup is fairly sparse which could be bad if that's all Nintendo intends to bring to the table. But if Nintendo keeps pushing out games for it on a regular schedule, the sparse launch lineup should not be too big of a problem.

Unless Nintendo does something entirely ridiculous. Then the Switch is doomed to go the way of the Wii U.

It's not just graphics, though. Processor power and speed impacts a lot of behind the scene work like NPC AI and pathfinding.

Between the launch lineup and the price, I'm probably waiting for a sale or Zelda bundle. On or the other will happen eventually. It might be nice to play a game when it's popular, but $350 is a lot to pay for one game, even Zelda.
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 15, 2017, 07:40:20 pm »

It's not just graphics, though. Processor power and speed impacts a lot of behind the scene work like NPC AI and pathfinding.

It is just graphics. The GPU, which governs graphics, has two different clock rates depending on whether the Switch is docked. The CPU only runs at one speed, it does not change depending on whether the Switch is docked.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 15, 2017, 07:51:56 pm »

GPU is used for more than just graphics these days.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 15, 2017, 09:45:55 pm »

I don't think refusing to engage in an argument is a crime, Neo.

If that was what was going on sure!

People don't say things randomly or entirely by accident. Their works are intentional and directed.

I don't know about that.

Quote from: an irc channel
<Antofdeath> The only thing missing from HP was that magick wasnt cataltic and often only had a single cause effect chain

I have no idea what discussion that quote came from, but that was perfect. Thank you for a laugh I needed.

On-topic, I'm leaning more and more towards waiting for a sale.  $350ish for Zelda is a lot to pay, and every new detail I hear makes the Switch look less attractive.   

I'm never going to use the Switch as a mobile console. I've got a phone and a tablet, both of which are easier to carry, have more features, and and better hardware (Nintendo's hardware choices are crappy, and have been crappy, and will continue to be crappy, and this greatly limits what their hardware can do).  I've also got a 3DS.  I'd much rather the hardware be more powerful and the console be stationary.

I suppose that wouldn't have worked well with whatever demographic Nintendo is targeting with the Switch?  IDK what demographic that is - parents willing to give small kids electronics have already gotten them a Fire tablet or an iPad and gamers have mostly already gotten another console - but they're clearly targeting somebody with this. It's too weird to not have a audience they designed for.

It's a pity the price and specs are so offputting. I was happily anticipating the new Zelda. Just not $350 worth of anticipation.
To summarize:

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2017, 09:53:17 pm »

It is just graphics. The GPU, which governs graphics, has two different clock rates depending on whether the Switch is docked. The CPU only runs at one speed, it does not change depending on whether the Switch is docked.

We're talking about 2 different things.

I was talking about the CPU, which is gimped regardless of mobile or not, because it's a mobile processor, designed for low power use with short bursts of high power, not a stationary processor designed to be used a full blast for long periods. Also, Nintendo insisted on customization and is heavily focused on battery life, so that strongly implies the processor is weaker than we'd expect just going off K1/X1 specs.  Clock speed is not the be-all and end-all of processor design.

You're talking about the GPU, which gets nerfed based on battery management. That part is right.  However, your overall point is wrong. The GPU is used for more than drawing art, and those aspects are going to suffer, or other tweaks will be made prevent them from suffering which means something else is sacrificed.
To summarize:

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 15, 2017, 10:04:34 pm »

Has everybody forgotten that Zelda is also supposed to be on the Wii U.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 15, 2017, 10:12:43 pm »

Yeah. The only would-be compelling reason for almost a year after release (until new Mario) is also coming out on the previous generation.

It almost seems like the Switch is targeted at people who skipped the last generation entirely like myself. Except there's no backwards compatability they've revealed yet so it's not like I can buy a Switch and then play the stuff I missed so it's a big question mark for me.

Also it seems like the 8 titles number I had was off. It's actually 5 on release, with 4 coming within a month.

5 on release. 5 on release. FIVE ON RELEASE. Whhhhhhyyyyy?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 15, 2017, 10:14:42 pm »

I havent.

I expect the Wii-U price to drop very shortly after the switch's release (I have not purchased one, because I dont like the game catalog as is, but would get for this title) and from what I have been reading, the game is identical between consoles, so no real perk for the switch other than portability.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 15, 2017, 10:23:08 pm »

I havent.

I expect the Wii-U price to drop very shortly after the switch's release (I have not purchased one, because I dont like the game catalog as is, but would get for this title) and from what I have been reading, the game is identical between consoles, so no real perk for the switch other than portability.

I've thought about that, but I have heard that Zelda runs much better on the Switch.   For all that the Switch is low power compared to other consoles, it's a lot more powerful than the Wii U. Reviewers have mentioned that the Switch controls are more comfortable.  Plus, any new games coming out will be coming out for the Switch and not the Wii U.

It'll be tempting to go for a Wii U if the price gets really low, but I don't want to buy into dead-end console.
To summarize:

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2017, 01:16:28 pm »

So apparently as the incentive to pay into the online multiplayer Nintendo will be offering... Demos. Err sorry let me correct that "A Demo" :P

Well... a lot of the details are coming in and now I am starting to see why people are predicting the Switch's failure. From the excessive price of everything from controllers, to accessories, to likely its games (Skyrim is 60 bucks sooooo)...

To its voice chat functionality that is so bad I bet Nintendo will change this immediately (or not).

Not to mention its controllers are GARBAGE!

---

This is seriously bad news for me because when I saw the original announcement I wanted to jump on this! a Portable system that can run great games... that has Nintendo backing it BUT a Nintendo that knows to get third party developers? DANG!

Not to mention that it had few-none of those annoying gimmicks at first... (but we learn it did)

Hopefully they perform some much needed surgery to the system to revive it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 01:21:46 pm by Neonivek »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2017, 01:23:43 pm »

Do they have more information up somewhere? What is the demo they are offering?
From what I gathered from the stream the other day they're going to use your phone as your microphone for voice chat which would be terrible.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37