Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 3518

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3672252 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The thing is that I am not sure this sort of break down might necessarily cripple them.

Though I am finding my evil voodoo genie wish for Trump to be a terrible president is taking weirder and weirder twists.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

No, his personality profile is pretty consistent with historical populist despots, the only major difference is that these days he can spew his verbal/textual diarrhea without any kind of PR team between him and the press/public.

Historical despots of this type had good damage control from their PR teams, because "instant communication with the world" was not a thing then, and they could intercept horrible public statements before they could reach their audiences, and could thus "rose color" the narrative dictated by said despots.

Trump? We get it raw.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Hitler-, Stalin- and Mao- Tweets would be interesting. And I'm pretty sure the only reason Kim isn't tweeting is because he's too pudgy to type.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it is becoming very obvious that Trump is used to being in complete charge, without having to listen to anyone.

He was always the boss and everyone had to do what he said, or else.

Turns out that even as president you have to actually listen to and cooperate with other people.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:53:32 am by Antioch »
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

It's pretty much the epitome of why having businessmen take positions of government is a bad idea. It's pretty much the exact issues the county where my parents live had with their last county chief (non-elected mayor/governor-ish equivalent) except scaled up considerably.
Love, scriver~

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Wait... so, in a weird fucked up totally-not-their-intention-at-all kind of way, we should be grateful to the freedom caucus?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-freedom-caucus-obamacare-repeal-replace-secret-pact-236507

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

No, no, not even remotely. They're still horrible little lie spewing cretins that want millions of our citizens to die, suffer, and fall into absolute poverty for whatever shite stews itself in their rotten brainpans. If you're going to be grateful to someone, direct it to the parts of the GOP that are sufficiently unfucked in the head the caucus couldn't get them to cooperate.
It's pretty much the epitome of why having businessmen take positions of government is a bad idea. It's pretty much the exact issues the county where my parents live had with their last county chief (non-elected mayor/governor-ish equivalent) except scaled up considerably.
grumble grumble

Said it before, said it again. Trump's problems have sod all with him being a businessman. Just about everything he's doing and has been doing throughout his history is basically "how to not business 101". Only reason the shit wasn't significantly less wealthy or in jail decades ago was because it's freakishly hard to end up like that when you start with the money and connections he did. He's an example of why a terrible administrator/CEO is terrible, and it's largely because they let all kinds of crap that have nothing to do with running a business influence how they attempt to run a business. Also why nepotism is sketchy as all hell. Trump senior's holdings and legacy would be in much better shape if he had given what he did of it to someone on the basis of competence instead of blood.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 08:29:08 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Another silly question from me.  But I basically have family that 100% believes that Donald Trump is a Russian pawn, and that the election was completely won by Russian hackers.  As in the vote was a sham, every vote in the country was modified by Russian agents to make it appear as much of a failure of the American system as possible, making sure he lost the popular vote but still got into power.

Now I have no idea how much of that is true (if any) and how much is hyperbole.  But if that worse case is found to be true, and Donald is impeached and removed from power.  Wouldn't that remove his VP as well?  At least when I voted the VP position was tied to the presidential position, it simply did not seem possible to vote separately for VP.  If Trump won under illegitimate means that would mean Pence did as well.  So what sense would there be in pence becoming the next president?  Wouldn't they both be removed and the third in line become the prez? (whoever that is)

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Mostly hyperbole. Russian involvement looks increasingly likely, but it's not terribly likely the vote itself was tampered with, at least inasmuch as the cast votes and whatnot go (disenfranchisement et al is a separate discussion, but even that has more to do with the GOP being pieces of shit rather than foreign intervention). Not like this is the first time the EC's dropped the ball, heh. We're perfectly capable of managing that without help that direct.

Third in line would be ryan.

As for pence getting caught up in an impeachment, it wouldn't be automatic. He could still be nixed afterwards, and probably by roughly the same means, but the process would pretty certainly have to go through the motions. Pres and VP are indeed linked on the ballot, but they're not really considered so in most other ways. Conceptually that's even most of the reason you campaign for a particular VP, so the president has someone that's going to offer different views, have different political et al entanglements, etc.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:23:00 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait... so, in a weird fucked up totally-not-their-intention-at-all kind of way, we should be grateful to the freedom caucus?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/trump-freedom-caucus-obamacare-repeal-replace-secret-pact-236507

I think it's fair to thank them for being so far removed from moderate that it's likely easier to compromise between moderate republicans and moderate democrats than it is within the republican party itself. Which is how a normal, functioning democracy should work. You don't have two monolithic(bi-lithic?) blocs that force the government to swing back and forth wildly whenever one gains a sliver of power over the other.

Let's just hope there are enough reasonable moderates left in both parties that are willing to work together to make up a majority.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

... there's not. Mostly because even "moderate" GOP politicians stopped being moderate something like a decade or four ago. Probably for the best, really. Meeting half way these days would just mean constantly moving right, and that involves enough suffering and corpses without actively contributing to it (more, anyway).
Ask not!
Ask!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Another silly question from me.  But I basically have family that 100% believes that Donald Trump is a Russian pawn, and that the election was completely won by Russian hackers.  As in the vote was a sham, every vote in the country was modified by Russian agents to make it appear as much of a failure of the American system as possible, making sure he lost the popular vote but still got into power.

Now I have no idea how much of that is true (if any) and how much is hyperbole.  But if that worse case is found to be true, and Donald is impeached and removed from power.  Wouldn't that remove his VP as well?  At least when I voted the VP position was tied to the presidential position, it simply did not seem possible to vote separately for VP.  If Trump won under illegitimate means that would mean Pence did as well.  So what sense would there be in pence becoming the next president?  Wouldn't they both be removed and the third in line become the prez? (whoever that is)

Hyperbole is generous tbh. The extent of Russian involvement that actually turned out to be true is a very slim sample of what's been claimed. As an example I remember a while back a document (read it here, or on Bay12 here) was published by spooky intelligence types detailing Russian involvement and the media made a whole lot of noise about it, but the document's only claim that was substantiated internally or externally was that RT is translated into English.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, no, not even remotely. They're still horrible little lie spewing cretins that want millions of our citizens to die, suffer, and fall into absolute poverty for whatever shite stews itself in their rotten brainpans. If you're going to be grateful to someone, direct it to the parts of the GOP that are sufficiently unfucked in the head the caucus couldn't get them to cooperate.
Yeah, except those horrible shitspewers were willing to cooperate to pass something which still would have made millions suffer and die and fall into poverty, and it's only the fact that the HFC had their head's so far up their own asses that they kept insisting on more and more insane concessions.

They're still terrible people, but I'm glad they aren't regular party line voting conservative or moderate republicans because lots of folks would be fucked hard right now if any neutered form of the AHCA were able to make it through the Senate and House.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

You say that, but that's only true because they were never going to get it passed their way.  If they were the majority then we'd have to be double grateful to the current party line, once for splitting the vote and twice for not being as crazy as the Freedom Caucus.

Extremists in my Republican party?  Its more likely than you think!
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, all in all I think this is one of the better results of them being "the party of no" for so long.

'Alright folks, all we need to do now is cooperate.'
"No."
'...what?'
"They saids the c-wordses, the c-wordses burns us! blame-em... blame-em Tricksy liberalses."
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 3518