Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: World of Avatars(OOC)  (Read 8076 times)

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
Re: World of Avatars(OOC)
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2017, 02:25:39 pm »

I'm so sorry about how I acted with my last comment. It's just, I want to try to do something fun, and by constantly calling what I'm doing into question, it feels like I'm failing. The reason why it seems like damage is happening too fast is because I'm better with d10s. It's a much larger margin, and I'm not good with the smaller gap. As for why I blew up...well.

See, either last year or two years ago, I ran games on BYOND's forums. They were terrible, but people seemed to play them. Seemed. Before long, I was being treated like crap, and couldn't do new turns without someone complaining about it. It got to the point that I cancelled both games prematurely because, well, no one liked them. I came here because I wanted to do games people would love. And this? It just feels like a retread of what happened back there. The kicker? The BYOND games did use d6s, as I was inspired by Roll to Dodge Princess Celestia to even do Forum Games in the first place.

I am so, so sorry.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:39:26 pm by Greatness942 »
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2017, 03:23:07 pm »

Alright that's fine, no worries.
Awesome With Autism

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2017, 03:25:07 pm »

It kind of is. I rely mostly on Chunky Salsa (realistic damage) rules, and since our current base of characters include powers like fire, it would only make sense, to me at least, that fire does this sort of thing. Maybe, as a compromise, we could bump it to d10? That way, I have a much more comfortable space with which to balance out injury.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2017, 03:29:23 pm »

BYOND, that's the engine NEStalgia uses, correct? Fun game.

...I want to say. We have to remember that we're all the DM's in this game even the players because even they describe the actions. There's no real leader in this but there can be kind of the consensus so. If you want to describe some kind of system for maiming that will not offend players that don't want to roleplay a scarred and torn up character, and also not trivialize healing I'd love to hear it.

But I don't see how that happens and my opinion does matter because I am a member of this team. Not because I'm a leader but I am a member and my opinion does matter.
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2017, 03:34:22 pm »

An idea!

We simply build on the system before!

If you get a two after getting a one you are maimed in some way. This way it's still like a hard mode because you can just use the LP you earn from the one before to avoid this, or risk it to keep the LP!

What say thee greatness!?
Awesome With Autism

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2017, 03:41:37 pm »

Healing Magic is the Hardest. You suggested it.

As for maiming...just what do you think these attacks do to people? This isn't Smash Bros. A sword doesn't propel you sixteen feet into the air. It slices people. Fire doesn't catapult people into blast zones, it burns them. I'm not sure what else you want me to say or do. Anything else seems like, to be frank, a grievous insult.

EDIT FOR SUDDEN NEW REPLY: ...I have to stop being so quick to annoy at some point.

Okay, let me break it down this way: One LP prevents you from getting a one, right? Getting a one gets you LP, right? Use that LP to get rid of the one, and you still have a chance of two. Use two LP, and guess what? LP is now as trivial as healing is. If you get two ones, you die. Get a one, get LP, and then there's this little thing called the Prisoner's Dilemma. Basically, no one wants to be the guy who risks death because "what if I die from this?". Honestly, your idea is fantastic. But I won't be risking it, because I would rather my character to survive with grievous injuries then die.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2017, 03:49:41 pm »

Yes but you want maiming in the game.

And unless you plan to kick out players that don't want that then you have to have a way for them to not have that mechanic.

So I'll go one step further how about an official hard mode!

I will keep a list of hard mode players in the OP. You can't use an LP if you rolled the dangerous one. As a reward you get a bonus LP from a chapter.(which can maybe be balance based on the length of the chapter it might need a little ironing out but that's the basic idea)
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2017, 03:53:34 pm »

EDIT FOR SUDDEN NEW REPLY: ...I have to stop being so quick to annoy at some point.

Might be nice.
Awesome With Autism

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2017, 03:56:39 pm »

Plan to kick out players who-what? I'm not that callous! I'm not a killer GM who wants every player in the game to die horribly for my own amusement! I am a storyteller. I have three chapters of a (hopefully ongoing) series on Creative Projects all about a mythos that I created, and you're playing in!

*sigh* I'm sorry. I'm still annoyed slightly. I am so sorry. Honestly, that's the best idea out of all of them, and I whole-heartedly accept. That's a genuinely cool idea. I'm so sorry I've been so short with you. It's just that, I'm so used to having genuinely realistic damage that hearing someone complain about injuries is...odd, to say the least.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2017, 03:59:13 pm »

Its called World of Avatars, not Grim Dark Adventures. Some of these characters are literally from cartoon like atmosphere where an anvil can be and has been dropped on their heads. Spyro the Dragon has been squished and Papyrus battles by a bullet hell involving a heart I mean, what's real for us does not completely level the playing field. Suggesting that it needs or should be that way it's not really worth all that much. It really is a discussion.

.. And maybe we have an answer now?

Plan to kick out players who-what? I'm not that callous! I'm not a killer GM who wants every player in the game to die horribly for my own amusement! I am a storyteller. I have three chapters of a (hopefully ongoing) series on Creative Projects all about a mythos that I created, and you're playing in!

*sigh* I'm sorry. I'm still annoyed slightly. I am so sorry. Honestly, that's the best idea out of all of them, and I whole-heartedly accept. That's a genuinely cool idea. I'm so sorry I've been so short with you. It's just that, I'm so used to having genuinely realistic damage that hearing someone complain about injuries is...odd, to say the least.

I offer that we prioritize fun over realism always, but that's just my opinion. And it is equal value to whatever yours is.

...so I'll assume that Roy is the first candidate for the new hard mode then, yes?
Awesome With Autism

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2017, 04:05:20 pm »

Yeah, fun is better then realism in most cases. Most of my games are semi-realistic RPs, not Avatar based ones, so that may be where confusion lies the most. As for the grim dark adventures jab...Roy and Merseth are both from universes like that. Where bloody, violent death just happens. If a side effect of the world is making cartoon physics happen, fine, but that's never been stated and while I won't guarantee it won't be, it's an odd thing to focus on. Also, Papyrus's game, Undertale, involves an entire ending where you kill every single character in the game, including him, so saying it's cartoon physics doesn't make sense. Dissection posts is a habit of mine, as I'm sure you're aware.

But yeah, a hard mode sounds fine, but I vote to not get rid of realistic damage. It's an odd thing to not get rid of, but it makes for better stories, and I'm more used to describing wounds then saying that people bounce around the place from a gunshot.

I'm starting to calm down, so if you want to say anything else, I would honestly be glad to hear it. :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 04:10:20 pm by Greatness942 »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2017, 04:10:16 pm »

If you plan to use this 2 maiming system, give a warning to the players when it's about to happen so they can make that choice informed in case they weren't paying attention to this.

I got to work I look forward to your further comments if you have more to share on your opinion. Later.
Awesome With Autism

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2017, 04:11:14 pm »

Honestly? 6 v 1, then ? v 2 maiming sounds fine. If it was d10, we wouldn't need a system, but this system does work out, so I am fine with seeing how it turns out.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2017, 08:41:46 pm »

Actually it doesn't work. Not currently I'm sure it's an easy fix but I just realized- they only get 1LP.

Any suggestions?

Edit: ... What if a major wound is one of the options besides death?

What if since theres several things that could happen during death it's kind of a lottery and you get maybe three choices out of all the things we think of to come back again?

So far that list would be to choose ONE(not all of course) of these options:

A. Change avatar/Character
B. -3LP, cursed if below zero locking 5s until payed
C. Win 3 fights(total) in avatar fight thread b4 returning
D. Take a severe wound
And of course anything else we or DM thinks of...

Edit 3: -OR- players could just choose in advance their death penalty so DM would know what to wright. We could also assign perks to the dif options and make it a game.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:59:32 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2017, 09:15:13 pm »

SO...

THAT COULD LOOK LIKE

BANISH: If you die you must win 3 fights(doesn't need to be in a row) to come back. The in-story thing is that right before you would die, you get teliported out to fight for Death.

DEBT:

HARDCORE
If you choose one of these options You get a bonus LP for completing a chapter.

MAIMED: You will be mauled or damaged in some way, but you'll be alive.

FINAL: You must change your avatar to continue playing. Your character will be atomized/crushed/liquified ect. upon death.

So superfitial damage sure, but actual anatomy altering wounds should only happen if they choose MAIMED death type penalty.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:17:37 pm by roseheart »
Awesome With Autism
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10