Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 73868 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #450 on: March 11, 2017, 03:33:27 pm »

Unpopular opinion: Sinistar is a heretic and should be burnt.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 11, 2017, 03:42:14 pm »

Unpopular Opinion:

Crusader Kings 2 DLC is rip off tastic. Not in the "There isn't anything worthwhile inside" (though that is debatable... as sometimes they only unlock stuff) but in terms of they are trying to get the most amount of money for the least amount of work... in a very disgusting and obvious degree. Especially in how they nickel and dime all their content partitioning them to charge more.

I won't get into it because I'd then be tackled and told how incredible deep their African expansion is.

Dang Paradox... seriously curse them!

The only ones to draw my ire more is Kalypso but they are soo similar in their strategies that I mix them up! (But Kalypso doesn't have ANYONE who defends them, and rightfully so. While Paradox is lauded as the greatest DLC creators ever)

---

What is odd is... I don't even care that there is so much DLC for Crusader Kings 2... only HOW they market that DLC (Ignoring... a few of their DLC not being good... But that is another story...)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 03:46:30 pm by Neonivek »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 11, 2017, 04:22:53 pm »

The fucker who first got away with "push out 50~75% of a game, then nickel and dime gamers to buy the rest as DLC" should be shot... out of a cannon... into the worst place imaginable: a New Jersey tanning salon.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 11, 2017, 05:03:06 pm »

When CK goes on sale, it's billion dlc options completely fill the Steam listings.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 11, 2017, 05:14:18 pm »

Hmm. Interesting.

As a question, would you feel the same way about Civ V? Not a loaded question mind, legitimately curious, because I haven't heard similar criticism about them but the situations feel fairly similar. It had (has) over $100 dollars in DLC, and some of the expansions feel like they are completely mandatory to play the game (the first time I played Civ with BNW I swore to never go back). If there is a difference, can you explain it a bit?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 11, 2017, 05:22:55 pm »

Hmm. Interesting.

As a question, would you feel the same way about Civ V? Not a loaded question mind, legitimately curious, because I haven't heard similar criticism about them but the situations feel fairly similar. It had (has) over $100 dollars in DLC, and some of the expansions feel like they are completely mandatory to play the game (the first time I played Civ with BNW I swore to never go back). If there is a difference, can you explain it a bit?

Ironically I only played CiV V vanilla for a short while and found it so lacklustre that I never bothered to try it again.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: March 11, 2017, 05:24:12 pm »

For one the majority of Civ 5 expansions are... useless garbage that can be safely ignored... and shouldn't cost any money anyway in the sense that it is content that didn't take any effort to make. You lose out on absolutely nothing by not getting them.

Let lets ignore those. Let us instead go into the major expansions.

Civ 5 packages everything needed for that expansion... into one expansion.

CK2 packages everything needed for that expansion... into at minimum 2 expansions (and sometimes much more than that). Basically partitioning off the visuals, music, and sometimes even content separate from the main one as a way to sort of push the price up even more.

This is without getting into what these expansions are and what content and game changes they add.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: March 11, 2017, 05:25:04 pm »

Tbh, I've never seen someone care about more than the two/three largest ones usually marketed as expansions, so far as civ goes. You don't need many of their things to have most of what you need, at least with most of the franchise. What I understand of some of the paradox titles, that's not quite as accurate a description of the state of its downloadable content. That said, I also haven't actually played many paradox titles. For whatever reason what games I have among their flagship titles run like complete ass on my computer, even when folks with more or less the same systems report them running fine.

... though to be fair, I've also never really heard anyone care about civ 5 to the extent people care about several of the paradox titles. Some of the earlier ones (3 & 4 in particular), but not so much 5.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: March 11, 2017, 05:29:54 pm »

Unfortunately, Paradox successfully developed cultish behavior among its fanbase and was able to normalize their DLC model. Since Paradox caters to a self-contained group for the most part, they're encouraged to be ever-more thin on making the actual game. The most infamous example of this was the co-development of HoI4 and Stellaris, resulting in both games being playable but unfinished.

There is also the vicious cycle that has developed as a result of their DLC patches, which often throw off the entire game balance unless you have all DLC. I don't think either behavior is necessarily malicious or even conscious in the case of the patch balance, but it is a degenerative process that has only accelerated over the years. Unfortunately, CK2 did really, really well as a result of this continuous redevelopment and so they're not likely to be swayed from this path, doubly so since they've had an IPO.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 11, 2017, 06:24:10 pm »

I don't know if I'm being unpopular or controversial in this, but...  DLC...  DownLoadable Content...

What are we? Germans?

(See also RoundABout, etc.)

Or perhaps I'm the Acronym Geheime Staatspolizei... Not sure whether that means I can send people to the Glavnoye Upravleniye Lagerey, or not, but I'll definitely apply for "PIN Number", "ATM Machine" or "LCD Display" to be potential capital offences, for their different reason....

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 12, 2017, 06:21:41 am »

To be honest I've never heard of the Gestpo. And that's coming from a guy who just last Saturday tried to nickname a girl 'Stasi'.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 12, 2017, 07:50:12 am »

Really? What do you call the Gestapo in German?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 12, 2017, 08:39:28 am »

Just call me Ignatius, for messing up the extent of the Underline in that last post, then. ;)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 12, 2017, 03:11:59 pm »

Really? What do you call the Gestapo in German?
Probably a joke that there was no "a" Starver's version.
To be honest I've never heard of the Gestpo. And that's coming from a guy who just last Saturday tried to nickname a girl 'Stasi'.
Precisely what circumstances led you to think that nicknaming a girl 'Stasi' was a good idea? And did she slap you or something  :P
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 12, 2017, 04:09:02 pm »

Just wanted to annoy her a bit. We ended up settling on 'Stas'.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 57