Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 190059 times)

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2370 on: June 12, 2017, 12:56:19 am »

For a design should we consider making black powder? We have experience in chemistry from our fire shells and with our admintine making our own cannons should be viable.

Whilst I agree that we definitely need to increase and diversify* our offensive potential, attempting to get started with cannons now is too impractical to be feasible, simply because our friends in Arstotzka have already spent ages perfecting their own cannons. We'd never be able to compete!

That said, making an explosive variant of our firestorm shells would certainly be useful.

*Lightning's fantastic, but what happens if they start constructing lightning rods to protect their encampments?
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: June 12, 2017, 04:17:19 am »

Quote from: Revision Votes:
(5) Academy of Magic (aka Share Thoughts): AC, SMMI, Madman198237,Khang36, NUKE9.13

(0) Eye In the Sky

(0) Mind Trail

(0) Enhanced Teletalk
Long Live United Forenia!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: June 12, 2017, 04:19:06 am »

(5) Academy of Magic (aka Share Thoughts): AC, SMMI, Madman198237, Khang36, NUKE9.13, Happerry

(0) Eye In the Sky

(0) Mind Trail

(0) Enhanced Teletalk

For a design should we consider making black powder? We have experience in chemistry from our fire shells and with our admintine making our own cannons should be viable.

Whilst I agree that we definitely need to increase and diversify* our offensive potential, attempting to get started with cannons now is too impractical to be feasible, simply because our friends in Arstotzka have already spent ages perfecting their own cannons. We'd never be able to compete!
Personal opinion is that if we're going to move onto a new type of siege gun, we should utilize our lightning magic and go for the railguns. We already have the wands of lightning to serve as the power source...
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: June 12, 2017, 08:57:53 am »

Things I want over the next some turns:

Improved Airships: They're basically our only military unit making advances.

Malleable Adamantium Properties: There's quite a bit of potential for advancements most everywhere.

Point Defense Lightning (which means advancements in Arty Divination Detection): Direct arty counter which is needed.

Eye In The Sky: Provides Intel as well as strike capabilities.

Improved Divine Desert Wind: Seriously, we need to kill their cold advantage.

If we get the revision credit, I'm thinking we Design EITS, Revise DDW, and Revise Airships. Without the credit, I'm thinking we drop the Airship improvements for another turn. Turn after that one, I'm thinking Design MAP and Revise Passive Arty Detection.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: June 12, 2017, 09:21:21 am »

(5) Academy of Magic (aka Share Thoughts): AC, SMMI, Madman198237, Khang36, NUKE9.13, Happerry

(0) Eye In the Sky

(0) Mind Trail

(0) Enhanced Teletalk

Personal opinion is that if we're going to move onto a new type of siege gun, we should utilize our lightning magic and go for the railguns. We already have the wands of lightning to serve as the power source...
My main concern with going for magic rail gun is that it will require mages to operate them and Astroska with their anti magic shells they will be able to suppress them as long as they can shell the general area. So i figured we could go for a non magic solution to not deal with that issue.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: June 12, 2017, 10:15:25 am »

Alright, SMMI, here we go:

Improved Airships: Sure. Worthy of a design, I'd say. If we could bring expense down by not using the carpets and instead enchanting the hulls, we'd be in a good place.
Adamantine: NOT MALLEABLE! We want adjustable properties. Malleability refers to how easy a metal is to hammer into shape. But yes, definitely worth a design and revision. What can't you do with adamantine that is both cheaper, harder, stronger, and hotter/colder?
PDL: Heck no. How is this supposed to stop a cannonball? You're just going to superheat the dumb things and make them even deadlier. Not that they need any HELP doing that...
Eye: How about we start with the modified telepathy spells? Heck, we could revamp our Teletalk to make use of visual communications over long ranges too.
IDDW: Bad idea. I think that that spell has limited further use, and was poorly designed in the first place. I think that we ought to make a form of tower like theirs, capable of calling down continuous lightning around it (INDESTRUCTIBLE MOUNTAIN FORTS YEAH) and warming the air through the constant barrage of plasma. Even if unrealistic, it'd work, because MAGIC, SUCKERS!

First objective: Lightning-repelling enchantments on our men. Applied to entire armies at once by all the mages and apprentices working together, must last at least two days and be 100% effective. Well, 95%, anyway. 1/20 isn't too bad for the GLORIOUS MOSKURGIAN LEGIONS OF MANY MEN.
The lightning-repelling allows our troops to attack directly through the middle of a Hammer strike. Pretty much amazing, terrifying, GLORIOUS, and makes it almost impossible to kill them (Can't shoot if you're fleeing the lightning bolts and crazy horse-riding lunatics of death who are riding through the lightning storm without getting touched). Also, shock value.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: June 12, 2017, 10:48:03 am »

Revision: Academy of Magic [1]

Well...it was an interesting idea, at least.

Sharing thoughts via our Mind Reading spell in order to expedite training was a clever application of our existing magic.  Unfortunately, it looks like it needs more work before we can use it. 

At the best of times, our apprentices just end up reading the surface thoughts of their teachers.  At the worst of times their brains are filled with a disjointed stream of consciousness that leaves their minds buzzing for a few days.

The mind reading clearly needs to be refined a bit more before we can use it in this way.  Part of the problem is that the spell is likely too complex for an apprentice to use easily in this manner.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:04:11 am by evictedSaint »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: June 12, 2017, 10:48:28 am »

Please vote on how you want to train your heir.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: June 12, 2017, 10:51:35 am »

Why was Induce Zen a part of that???? It was ONLY supposed to be a direct revision of our Mind Reading spell. Induce Zen was not intended to be a part of it...at all.

And we didn't get a bonus to it, after decades of experience (Well, a few years, anyway, until they countered it) working with mind reading? Even in the purposefully-disadvantaged method that uses two mages working together (Well, one's an apprentice, I suppose) over a short range?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: June 12, 2017, 11:05:56 am »

Apprentices can't use Expensive spells, cancelling out the bonus.  And I tweaked it to reflect you didn't use Zen.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: June 12, 2017, 11:09:14 am »

Hmm :/ That's a shame. Well, at least next time will be easier, right?

Anyway. Curriculum votes:
A varied education, overseen by al-Mutriqa: (1) NUKE9.13
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: June 12, 2017, 12:00:04 pm »

Well, there goes our potential education advantage. At least the design rolls were pretty great.

NUKE, may I suggest the following modifications to your curriculum?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: June 12, 2017, 12:23:02 pm »

1) Can do. I added more references to al-Mutriqa training her, although not all the time.
2) Hmm :/ Thing is, we only have three Cheap spells. I figure that fluffwise, apprentices must be learning very basic forms of the magic they will later master- stuff with no combat potential, obviously. If they don't start learning to move puffs of air around, how can they ever work up to a full Gust of Wind?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: June 12, 2017, 12:35:10 pm »

Ultimate Diplomat ploy? Ambush-detecting, mind-reading...anything else? I'm thinking that those won't actually cut it for a full magical education. I think she should be educated in the proper functionality of a teletalk wand (Contact guards if under attack), use of a War Pegasus (Not Aladdin at all, what are you talking about???), and Wands of Thunderbolts. This gives her a means of transport, means of communications, means of self-defense, a warning spell, and a massive advantage in the diplomacy she will possibly have to undertake when we beat the Arstotzkans.

(Something about heirs now. Do I smell a succession crisis in the near future?)

Thanks for the answers eS. Maybe be more biased next time? ;)

I agree, Atomic. Definitely have a full year of one-on-one with al-Mutriqa.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: June 12, 2017, 12:46:59 pm »

I think with al-Mutriqa and her clearly powerful magical ability, we should be able to fast track her into a few of our expensive spells.

Although this does make me wonder what on Forenia we have our apprentices doing the whole time.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 217