Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 190052 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2385 on: June 12, 2017, 12:51:10 pm »

I think next turn we revise ourselves a magical training program and find out.

That said, I'm assuming that it takes roughly a full year to train an apprentice to full mage. Even if it doesn't, like Kashyyk said, we can probably do it anyway using al-Mutriqa as our handwavium.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: June 12, 2017, 02:15:55 pm »

That's....frustrating. Can we get a new die? This one rolls too many 1s.

I think we're all about agreed on an edited verison of Nuke's purposal.

evictedSaint: Can you provide information on where and when bonuses to spell rolls apply? We got +1s all around for an earlier Divination spell due to our book, a +3 on the Lightning revision when our earlier attempts got no bonuses at all afaik, and an attempt to simplify a spell type we have decent experience has no bonuses at all. It would be appreciated if we were able to know how this all works. Does our Book of Divination provide bonuses to Divination revisions? Do Mind Reading related spells count as Divination?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: June 12, 2017, 02:25:17 pm »

You get bonuses if you:
- have tried it before.
- have experience in that field.
- are doing something simple.
- have cheap material/spell components that compose it.
- are combining things in a way that makes sense.
- are doing the next natural progression of your existing magic.
- have a bonus to that type of material/magic.
-you do something within your starting school of magic.

You get penalties if you:
- haven't tried it before.
- have no experience in that field.
- are doing something complex.
- have expensive material/spell components.
- are combining things in a way that don't really go together.
- are doing something ambitious.

This is not an exhaustive list and is subject to being overruled if deemed necessary.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: June 12, 2017, 02:44:05 pm »

May I ask in what ways the simplifying and restricting of an existing spell that we have revised before, as well as having an existing item that allows magic users to mentally communicate with each other, are something we haven't tried before, have no experience in, is considered complex, involve expensive materials, are combining things that don't go together, or is considered ambitious?

I don't have the proper words to deliver the tone I am aiming for, but I don't mean to criticize you or to appear salty, I just want to understand the process so I can better suggest items to be voted on. It's just a game, but it's one I would like to understand properly.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: June 12, 2017, 02:55:24 pm »

You're trying to do something pretty complex in a revision - build a school and train apprentices to wizards faster.  You have some tech that you can use to do it, but a lot of it is expensive and outside the capabilities of your apprentices.

I'll be honest, a lot of this is a judgement call.  I decided you had enough prequisite tech to try it with no penalties.  If it had worked, it would have pissed Arstotzka off because they spent both a design and an expense credit doing what you guys just attempted. 

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: June 12, 2017, 02:55:50 pm »

All the knowledge!
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: June 12, 2017, 03:04:36 pm »

they spent both a design and an expense credit doing what you guys just attempted. 
I knew it. I knew that was too ambitious for a revision. That's why my proposal just talked about the spell, not making a school. Shoulda argued my case, I guess.
...although, if we'd rolled well, we'd be sitting pretty. So I guess it wasn't the worst idea.
Long Live United Forenia!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: June 12, 2017, 03:26:17 pm »

Understood, thank you very much. Though it might not be the best that you shared such information with us about what Arzty is doing.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: June 12, 2017, 03:30:57 pm »

Considering they did it more than a decade ago, I'm not really revealing state secrets.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: June 12, 2017, 03:48:19 pm »

How long ago did they invent their cannons?

Because that'd explain the surplus of apprentices---crewing boilers and ships, spotting, running cannons aplenty...We'd better work this out next turn, I'm afraid.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: June 12, 2017, 05:05:57 pm »

By the numbers, I think they're going to achieve the revision credit. Make sure your plans are adjusted for that. And remember to not got salty, cause this is just the way the cookie crumbles.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: June 12, 2017, 05:15:42 pm »

Both sides have an equal chance to win, smmi.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: June 12, 2017, 05:20:51 pm »

Cool! In retrospect I can see how my previous statement looks a bit salty, but it's honestly a sincere "hey guys we got bad dice luck, so don't get too worked up about things". Nuke's purposal is quite nice so I'm confident of a shot at things, but I think I've unnecessarily tried to avert salt ahead of time, so I'll just pull back on that now.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: June 14, 2017, 10:16:15 pm »

Combat for 939

Arstotzka is working on something secret and mysterious for their design, but it's not quite ready yet.  For their revision, they make their cannons out of crystal in order to combat Moskurgs growing lightning advantage.  The cannons can survive getting hit, usually, but may not hold up well to multiple strikes.  More delicate crystal structures, however, are likely to suffer from the first strike.  This crystal effect also applies to their steam engines, which are now made of crystal as well.

Moskurg develops (to everyones surprise) a new weather spell that affects their lightning.  Named the "Wrath of Allah", the spell fails to distort the winter storms into warmer weather, but does allow lightning to be called down despite the snow.  Their revision turned out to be a bit harder than they expected, and will not be making an appearance this turn.

Moskurg hits hard this turn.  The jungle is the first place to see the effects of their new spell and just how powerful a naval advantage is.

For the first time in three decades, one side has actually managed to land troops behind their enemies lines.  With enough coastal ground gained, Moskurg can safely use their fast-moving Sirocco's to deploy troops far up the coast to flank Arstotzka troops.  The glowing ships are very visible at night, so the crews generally paint the Adamantium black with tar.  This makes many soldiers nervous that they may be blaspheming the holy metal, but our mages assure them that it's fine and there's nothing to be concerned about.  The landings occur in the snow, which isn't unusual for the jungle at this point - what is unusual is the fact that when the two sides join in combat, pin-point lightning strikes down from the heavens to fry Arstotzkan troops.  The Spear of Allah, which has been unusable for two decades, finally sees use in danger-close situations with enemy troops.  Mages standing aboard Alsamma Safina's high above have a clear vantage point of the carnage below, and much like mighty Allah himself they are free to pick-and-chose their targets...so long as they can see them.

Arstotzka makes good use of their artillery, when they can.  Landing ships are bracketed with artillery fire, but the lack of explosive ammo means they must hit the target dead on.  A single HA1 shell will sink Sirocco, but the cannons rely on mass-firing solutions and flare-based spotting (which also helps defend against night landings).  Their HAC-1's are good for defending at closer ranges, but the slow rate of fire means the gap can be closed before enough Moskurg soldiers can be killed to make a difference.  In fact, the debilitating cold weather kills more Moskurgers than the HAC-1's (if you don't count carpet-bombers shot down by sharp-shooters).

Being able to finally use their lightning after multiple decades of absence has certainly been a boon to Moskurg, and combined with their naval advantage they manage to push Arstotzka back a section of jungle.

Moskurg gains a section of jungle.

The mountains likewise see pushback.

The new crystal cannons are nice and shiny, even if they are a bit bigger.  Crews quickly get used to firing them with no real penalty to the switch over.  Artillery emplacements in the mountains are still subject to Moksurg carpet-bombers, but the fact that a bomber must loiter and strike an emplacement multiple times means a nearby HAC-1 gunner has plenty of time to line up a shot on the completely undefended rider.  War Pegasi riders mostly give up on trying to strike down and disable the cannons, instead going for crews instead.  Their airships must likewise hang back, but all they need to cast from their deck is line-of-sight with their target.  They can't get close enough to the emplacements to cast the more accurate Spear of Allah, but the Hammer strikes indiscriminately around the mountain.  Blasted rocks hiss as snowflakes land on their charred surface, and Arstotzkan soldiers hunker down and pray that they don't get smited by the divine will of Moskurgs God.  Castles are a bit harder to displace, but non-stop lightning strikes and carpet bombers buy ground troops time to get close enough to storm the gates.  Crystal Caltrops, Firewalls, PSF's, and  HAC-1's do a decent job making life difficult for ground troops, but Moskurg eventually prevails secures a foothold in the Mountains once more.  Their men are still dying from cold and artillery strikes, but at least they're not being struck by lightning constantly.

Moskurg has gained a foothold in the mountains.  Arstotzka loses their metal bonus.

Again, the plains see Arstotzka pushed back and Moskurg regain a section of the flatlands.

Moskurg lands behind Arstotzkan lines, Moskurg mages fry Arstotzkan troops, and Arstotzkan guns smash ships and men alike.  Had Moskurg not been able to put out their lightning again, or gone without their naval advantage, it would have been a close match up - Arstotzka's artillery is much more powerful here, and there's no tree cover for fliers.  But as it is, Arstotzka gets pushed back and loses a section of plains.

Moskurg gains a section of the plains. Arstotzka has failed to hold it for a year and will not gain the plains bonus.

With Arstotzka pushed out of the Eastern and Western Seas, most of the fighting ends up occurring in their home waters.

Their engines see a more profound effect from their new crystal structure than the cannons did.  Rather than exploding in a critical, devastating ball of steam and twisted metal, the engines usually are just knocked off-line when struck.  The crystal is thicker than the metal walls were, and more brittle, but it conducts electricity without melting and forming a weak spot.  The worst effect is when the few remaining metal components are destroyed like the turbine fan and a few valves and gears, but those can be easily replaced.  The nickel circuits don't slag and run out of the engravings like gold used to, so a Crystalclad can usually survive being struck by lightning once or twice before a crack becomes too critical for the self-administered microrepairing to fix - but the on-board apprentice can usually patch that before it's too late.

What's more devastating is the fact that the crew is forced inside by the lightning strikes, meaning they can't man the cannons without risking being struck by lightning.  Without a way to fight or flee, they're easy prey for Moskurg ships.  It takes a lot of work to sink the ship with the ballista, but eventually enough bolts in the same spot will start a crack that propagates throughout the hull.  It's not as much of a one-sided fight as it was last year, but Moskurg manages to maintain the upper-hand on the seas and push their control further north.

Moskurg gains a section of the Northern Sea.

Revision Credit!!!
Spoiler: Moskurg: Hayat Salbi (click to show/hide)

Both sides call their Master Wizard from the front-lines to train their heir.

Hayat Salbi, daughter of the late Queen Sofia and Sultan Salbi, is trained personally by al-Mutriqa.  Her education delves mostly into the theory behind magic, building the foundation for future growth.  She is trained in meditation, physical strength, Divination theory, the effects of the Tubikh Rrahim, and lots of prayer.  For actual spells she is educated in how to use Gust of Wind and the Wand of Thunderbolts, which her teachers insist on limiting her progress on - she quickly grasps the knowledge of how to fire off lightning bolts and fry targets with surprising accuracy for an Apprentice-level mage.  She takes to flying on the War Pegasi easily, and to no-ones surprise becomes one of the best riders in the kingdom.  She names her personal War Pegasi "Queens Will" to match her eventual ascension to queendom.  Much harder to learn is the Gust of Wind and Mind-Reading spells, which due to their expensive nature are difficult to grasp.  She makes surprising progress though, and at the end of the year can - with great difficulty - cast both spells.  Because her training includes physical training, she also grows to be quite the warrior.  Acrobatic and fast, she periodically performs daring stunts on her War Pegasi over the city, such as balancing on one-hand on the very end of the rolled-up carpet.  Despite scaring her handlers, she lands safely and with a round of applause from al-Mutriqa.

Bjorn Lodbrok, son of King Lodbrok, is likewise trained personally by Myark.  His education is one part formal and two parts informal; he begins at the Arstotzkan Academy of Adequate Apprenticeship and goes through the same rough, rudimentary training that all apprentices go through.  From there, he's taken up by Myark for a more hands-on training.  His education largely consists of the fundamentals of magic - how it works, what's known, unknown, and how to manipulate it.  He gains the rank of Mathemagician by the end of the year, having barely managed to gain the necessary knowledge to earn the title in time.  Unlike his father, Bjorn is smaller, skinnier, and grasps magical concepts much more quickly.  He takes up the Fireball spell easily, as it's in his blood as an Arstotzkan.  He also learns the rudimentaries of crystal-casting and falconry, and gains a pet falcon that he promptly names "Reckless Effect".  Everyone agrees that it is a cool name, and is very fitting.  His training extends into the Tower of Frost, but unfortunately not enough time is spent there to learn how to power it himself.  He does get plenty of training using the cannons and trains, and by the end of it all he's quite tired of being used as a living battery, but at least understands the use and tactical effect of the equipment the side uses.

Hayat is ultimately frustrated, feeling like she wasn't being taught enough and that she was being coddled.  She performs her daily prayers in the morning, noon, and evening, but does so with little apparent enthusiasm.  Her tutelage under al-Mutriqa sees her begin to adopt his rather unhinged love of chaos, if not his fervent religious faith.  Towards the end of the year of her training she is absent several times from her prayer and training sessions; each time Queens Will is missing from the stables.

Bjorn ends up being frustrated as well, feeling as though the many mages in Arstotzka are being underutilized as batteries.  He is interested in magegems, but they ultimately are not included in his training.  The train ride proves to be his greatest test, powering a steam engine for long periods of time without getting bored.  The trip to the mountains proves to be disastrous, as Moskurg makes an unexpected incursion up the slopes.  He is nearly killed by a Moskurg carpet-bomber, but Myark manages to save the young princes life before pulling him further north to safety.  Myark seems to have rubbed off onto Bjorn, as the berserker periodically flies into a blind rage for one reason or another.  Myark adopts his own brand of fury, but a different one - cold and deadly.

Ultimately, both sides train their heirs rather equally.  Bjorn ultimately learns more, but most of the training involves powering devices rather than the fantastical feats of magic mages are known for.  Hayat learns a little less, but her training proves to be a bit more practical and useful on the battlefield. 

Both sides gain a Second Revision this turn.

It is 940, the Design Phase.

Spoiler: State of Forenia, 940 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Moskurger Spells (click to show/hide)

Behavior Rules.  Please Read.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: June 15, 2017, 02:51:09 am »

Alright. That is looking way better.

Quick post as I'm in the phone,  but I think we should make our ammunition explosive in response to their fire proofing.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 217