Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 189105 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #990 on: April 28, 2017, 01:04:08 am »

Okay so those archers are VE, and furthermore another mage can cast the gust of wind, so we're fine there too. We've more mages than their snipers.

Even then, a general 'detect life' spell would be a design in it's own right (one which has civilian applications like fishing).

@Evicted I take it they have the same amount of ships as us?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: April 28, 2017, 01:05:06 am »

I'm not trying for 'detect life'  I'm trying to adopt 'detect ambushes' to include snipers, which are similar to ambushes.

Here's another quote:

Our mages can't even cast Gust of Wind or Lucky Strike as their snipers are continuing to use their explosive arrows against us. 

It's specifically saying Gust of wind does not work, and yes they have enough of their archers to negate our mages.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:08:18 am by Devastator »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: April 28, 2017, 01:08:53 am »

Which is a waste of a revision; we'd be better off training our scouts to identify the snipers via mundane means than wasting a revision on it.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 28, 2017, 01:09:44 am »

Which is a waste of a revision; we'd be better off training our scouts to identify the snipers via mundane means than wasting a revision on it.

I cannot see how anything could be more of a waste of a revision than a spell that is explicitly stated to be uncastable in the current environment.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 28, 2017, 01:12:38 am »

It'd be simple enough to pair up mages and pavises, detecting the snipers is going to do fuckall for stopping them.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 28, 2017, 01:15:16 am »

It'd be simple enough to pair up mages and pavises, detecting the snipers is going to do fuckall for stopping them.

Yeah it does.  If you know about the sniper, you stand behind the shield, and our cavalry goes out and harasses them, or a ballista shoots a load of rocks at them.  It would also help at night, where we don't know where they're coming from.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 28, 2017, 01:16:19 am »

Our regular detect ambushes would, or should, be working at night.

@Evicted could you confirm if it is?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 28, 2017, 01:18:43 am »

I don't think it is, as we're being attacked after making camp, and as such not walking into an ambush.  I'm also pretty sure it isn't on a battlefield, as they could spot the mages first, and then send in the snipers.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 28, 2017, 01:18:53 am »

We could also try Revising the Cyclone Shield so it doesn't have to be sustained any more, so our mages can cast it, therefor becoming immune/highly resistant to arrows, and then go cast the other spells.

Or we can try making that order of Mage Bodyguards again to counter their mage hunters.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 28, 2017, 01:20:56 am »

I don't think Cyclone shield will work either, because they have arrowheads that explode on exposure to magic.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: April 28, 2017, 01:22:21 am »

Hmm... @Evicted is it the shrapnel of the arrow exploding that's the primary kill mechanism of the exploding arrow or is it just the explosive that does it?

EDIT: If it just does it on exposure we'd be able to use our regular gust of wind spell to detonate them prematurely. In that case we should just make it quicker to cast.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 28, 2017, 01:23:44 am »

Hmm... @Evicted is it the shrapnel of the arrow exploding that's the primary kill mechanism of the exploding arrow or is it just the explosive that does it?

I think either of those could work through Cyclone shield, tbh.

If you absolutely won't vote for Detect Snipers, Taricus, could we agree on something else?  I don't like the other choices any better, but I'd be willing to compromise on something like improving our ballistae or rev cyclone shield.

Or Rev our officer's armor to provide better arrow (and explosive shrapnel) protection.  We can then spend the expense chit on it to give it to everyone.  I recommend we start with helmets.

Yeah, I could go with that.  I just want something to improve the protection for our mages, be it better mage armor or shields.  Better mass armor does not, Gust of Wind does not, and a debuff we also won't be able to cast does not.

Revise Elite Lamellar to provide better arrow protection, through helmets and thicker padding.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 01:30:47 am by Devastator »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 28, 2017, 01:30:59 am »

I'm pretty sure it has helmets included I think. Otherwise we'd have a hell of a lot higher kill ratio against those knights :P

I can agree to making the ballistae more reliable though. Or cheaper via revision to save the expense credit for the armour.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: April 28, 2017, 01:31:33 am »

I'll ask one more time.. can I get something to better protect our mages?

If no, I'll go vote for ballistae revisions.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 28, 2017, 01:33:50 am »

We can't protect our mages any better with what we have!
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 217