Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 189154 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1080 on: April 28, 2017, 02:40:16 pm »

Expense Credit: Elite Lamellar
Rather than just use our new-found income on buying more armor, we instead invest in facilities and manufacturing capital to produce more.  It takes most of the year, but we get a workcenter together and begin cranking out professional lamellar as quickly as we can.

Our army looks as professional as fuck.

Every man is clad in a suit of lacquered scales interwoven with leather chords and backed by a leather lining.  Our men are thrilled to have their new armor - for almost two decades now they've been butchered by axe, sword, and bow.  The armor isn't invincible, but it goes a long, long way to keeping them alive long enough to survive.

The armor is flexible, allowing greater freedom of movement.  Fully equipped, the average Moskurg foot soldier is about even with an Arstotzkan.  We have greater numbers, so in a pure melee we should come out on top, but they have effective archers while we have none.  Strength-wise in terms of "boots on the ground", we are about even.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 28, 2017, 02:45:24 pm »

I'm pretty sure their archers won't be that effective now.

Also are their horses barded at all?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: April 28, 2017, 02:47:57 pm »

The effect of enemy archers has been lessened, yes.

Their horses are not armored, but they are larger, heavier, and slower than ours.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: April 28, 2017, 02:48:57 pm »

But importantly they aren't armoured. Meaning they're target number 1 for our archers.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: April 28, 2017, 02:49:50 pm »

Correct. I was referring to the man-to-man melee's.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: April 28, 2017, 03:02:50 pm »

Next phase, we should focus on our archers. Also, At some point we  should analyze the ashwood shafts. Can we order our researchers to analyze them from our conquered territories?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 03:06:22 pm by Mardent23 »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: April 28, 2017, 03:06:18 pm »

Anti-magic arrows? Works like their magic exploding arrows but except it detonates when antimagic is introduced to it. If our bodkins stick in their armour we can use that to literally explode their lines :D

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: April 28, 2017, 05:55:54 pm »

@Devastator, I feel like there are several reasons to make the armor cheaper instead of the ballistae

1. It seems to me that the ballistae will be extremely effective even in such few numbers

2. The only reasons that their troops trump ours is because they are so survivable. If we have a comparable level of survivability, we will both outnumber them and outclass them.

3. Only having our officers wear the Elite Lamellar makes them targets. If everyone wears them, not only do the normal foot soldiers get better protection, but it will be harder to single out officers.

1.  I think the ballistas will be pretty effective.  I also think that MORE very effective ballistas would be even better.  I mean why shoot some of their commanders when we could shoot all of their commanders?

2.  The armor just kinda seemed as an incremental improvement, you know?  It's better than what we had, but still not really good, so I didn't see it as making that much of a difference.  Evicted said it was kinda even before, and after our new armor a melee is still kinda even.  Better, but not amazing.  The improvement is, after all, a 1 on a revision.

3.  There's some truth to that, but it still seems kinda incremental.

Anyway, as for the future, my only thoughts right now is that if we gain ground, we should try for something ambitious or unlock a new field of magic, as we'll have plenty of time and the enemy will be scrambling to regain lost ground.  If we don't gain ground, we should design something immediately useful, as we may be facing an invasion of the desert, and not have time for that.

Oh, and..

Orders:
Attack in the mountains: (1) Devastator

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: April 28, 2017, 06:03:48 pm »

What about on-site  teleportation?  That way, we could warp in reinforcements.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: April 28, 2017, 06:05:35 pm »

What about on-site  teleportation?  That way, we could warp in reinforcements.
That sounds like an incredibly advanced spell in a field we have zero experience in. Branching out into new fields is fine, but we should start small in them, not immediately try for something massive.
Long Live United Forenia!

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: April 28, 2017, 06:10:54 pm »

I was just thinking later game. How  about weather manipulation?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: April 28, 2017, 06:14:32 pm »

I still want my pegasai for fast travel.  It'd probably get a bonus due to general societal enthusiasm.

In more general terms, I think that summoning or creating things that weren't there before, (conjuration), changing the nature of materials (alteration), and changing one material to another (transmutation), would probably all work fine under any antimagic we use or any antimagic detection they use, and all of them would be very applicable to the war effort.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: April 28, 2017, 06:16:34 pm »

Of those two, transmutation would be the most useful right now. Given that there is a possibility that our resources will be reduced,  an alternate means of production will need to be found.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: April 28, 2017, 06:24:59 pm »

Of those two, transmutation would be the most useful right now. Given that there is a possibility that our resources will be reduced,  an alternate means of production will need to be found.

This would be dependant on gaining ground next turn.  If they secure the jungle but we dislodge them from the mountains and gain ground on the coast, I'd be okay with going long-term.  If we take back a bit of the jungle, lets go long term.  But if we get stonewalled everywhere, I don't think we can afford a design phase on what's likely a null.

All of them could be useful for resources, too, either summoning rare resources, changing common resources into rare ones, or making common ones act for better.  If we get really expert at them, we could probably design something in any of those fields related to manufacturing.

I was just thinking later game. How  about weather manipulation?

Weather manipulation is nice, but we both have abilities based on that.  (their tower and our storms.)  I'd like to hit them from an unexpected direction if we're going for a longer term gain, as it'll take them more time to deal with it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:29:48 pm by Devastator »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: April 28, 2017, 06:30:00 pm »

Hmm... Ships then Devastator? If we get a galley we've got more powerful and larger ships than the Arstotzkan longboats, and we make them dread getting close due to the rams on the prow of the galleys
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 217