Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 189090 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1350 on: May 01, 2017, 08:59:02 am »

I don't think we can just sell him any old spell (evictedSaint, can confirm?)

He is interested in spells he can demonstrate and then sell.  He has no formal training.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: May 01, 2017, 09:31:37 am »

Well, clear skies would be a hit for getting the sun out where they want it.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 01, 2017, 11:31:30 am »

After some consideration and discussion, it is possible I made Firestorm too powerful.  In future combat phases the splash radius will be around one meter and hits to the ammo supply may result in cook-off.  Sorry about that, guys.  It's still incredibly lethal, but it can no longer wipe squads in a single hit.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: May 01, 2017, 11:33:06 am »

Right. Time to upgrade from chemical flame to alchemical flame.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: May 01, 2017, 11:35:48 am »

After some consideration and discussion, it is possible I made Firestorm too powerful.  In future combat phases the splash radius will be around one meter and hits to the ammo supply may result in cook-off.  Sorry about that, guys.  It's still incredibly lethal, but it can no longer wipe squads in a single hit.
It could kill entire squads before? That is... exceedingly powerful. Considering their fireball can do the same only after gods know how many designs and revisions.
So, yeah, no complaints here.
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: May 01, 2017, 11:42:30 am »

To be fair, it's not my fault.  You guys have such colorful names and lovely descriptions of your equipment that I'm dazzled by it.  Arstotzka either doesn't name their equipment or lets a chicken with a keyboard name it. 

You know what they fucking named their upgraded fireballs?  "Powerful Streamlined Fireball."

No imagination, that lot u_u

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: May 01, 2017, 11:50:19 am »

Well, we're using faith and they're using mathematics. It goes to show that we'd have imagination.

Also, a metre spread would occasionally wipe out squads, and with the amount of ballistae we have seeing entire formations burned isn't going to be uncommon. Hell the firestorm shot should be that powerful given the panic it induces in the enemy.

So the squads wiped out could be the remainder of the squad going "Fuck this I'm not burning!" :P

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 01, 2017, 11:52:22 am »

Two meters is about six feet.  Hold out your arms and spin in a circle;  that's *about* the new area of effect.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: May 01, 2017, 12:02:36 pm »

To be fair, it's not my fault.  You guys have such colorful names and lovely descriptions of your equipment that I'm dazzled by it.  Arstotzka either doesn't name their equipment or lets a chicken with a keyboard name it. 

You know what they fucking named their upgraded fireballs?  "Powerful Streamlined Fireball."

No imagination, that lot u_u
(Ah ha! I knew writing out proper descriptions would curry favour with the GM)
Long Live United Forenia!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: May 01, 2017, 12:46:08 pm »

If we can do invisibility, or image displacement, we should again back-foot them, that's as good idea as any buff spell, really.  We could also drape such cloaks in front of our ballistae, for instance.  It would also be an undeniable advantage in skirmishing, both in offense and defense.  (It's damn hard to be prepared for the occasional invisible sentry.)

Besides, we may be able to do enchanted ballistae as a revision.  If we do do ballistae as a design, I'm for enchanted armor as a revision, as then we can try for invisibilty / lamellar barding next turn, and hit them with invisible cavalry charges.

Enchanted Ballista (4): Taricus, Kashyyk, Egan_BW, S34N1C
Mirage Cloak: (3) Happerry, NUKE9.13, Devastator
Enchanted Lamellar (1): detoxicated
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:50:08 pm by Devastator »

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: May 01, 2017, 01:24:45 pm »

Enchanted Ballista (4): Taricus, Kashyyk, Egan_BW, S34N1C Mardent23
[/quote]

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: May 01, 2017, 01:30:40 pm »

Enchanted Ballista (5): Taricus, Kashyyk, Egan_BW, S34N1C, Mardent23
Fixed for book-keeping.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: May 01, 2017, 04:10:03 pm »

Now that mirage cloak has been suggested, I was considering switching to it. Having experience in illusion magic will help us gain the advantage during the skirmish phase again,  and we remember how useful that is. However I also don't want to cause a tie, and enchanted Ballista are a very worthwhile design.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: May 01, 2017, 04:31:17 pm »

Yeah, I don't have strong objections to Enchanted Ballistae.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: May 01, 2017, 04:32:12 pm »

Design: Enchanted Ballista [3+1-1, 5+1-1, 2+1-1]

The enchanted ballista is rather ambituous; we've never enchanted something so big before, nor with so many spells at once.

The first enchantment attempted was a varient of Gust of Wind our Researcher Priests call "Boost of Wind".  Essentially the ballista sucks in a blast of air before firing that travels along with the payload, decreasing air resistance and allowing it to travel further.  This puts it into "Extreme Range" - the edge of being able to fire at targets in our line of sight.  Beyond this distance we will likely need spotters to accurately hit our targets.

The second enchantment attempted was Lucky Strike, but unfortunately we ran out of time developing this one. Lucky Strike can still be cast by a mage separately, thankfully.  Worryingly, however, accuracy has begun to drop off at Extreme Range even with Lucky Strike - our projectiles land within a couple meters of their intended target.  It's still impressively accurate, but we can no longer pin-point snipe enemies at such a distance. It's likely due to the variance in speed caused by the fickle winds; in some cases the oiled canvas on our Firestorm Shells will be blown out before launch, sending a much less harmful clay pot sailing towards the enemy.  Finally, the enchantments have a tendency to fade after a few days, requiring a mage to rebless the seige weapon periodically. 

A side note: we are close to the maximum possible range we can achieve with the ballista.  With some more tweaks we might be able to push the range another degree further afield, but the limitations of the weapons design will likely make further than that difficult.

Enchanting is relatively Expensive.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:34:38 pm by evictedSaint »
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 217