Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 189096 times)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1425 on: May 01, 2017, 08:36:05 pm »

It probably is, but more developments in artillery will eventually be necessary in the mountains. We need the range, and the destructive capability.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: May 01, 2017, 08:39:31 pm »

I guess in the design phase we could do the lamellar enchantment, and in the revision phase we either fix the lamellar or fix the ballista...

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: May 01, 2017, 08:47:36 pm »

Yeah.

But for now, everybody should get their votes in on the present revision phase.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: May 01, 2017, 09:44:39 pm »

Firestorm shell reliability revision: (3) Taricus, Devastator, Happerry
Horse Lamellar: (1) Detoxicated
Revise Hammer of Allah to work in the cold: (1) Madman198237

Instead of trying to get Hammer of Allah to work in a snowstorm, I'd prefer to just make a Hailstorm Spell. Last time I suggested it I called it the Tears of the Heavens, but whatever the name a constant stream of golf ball to apple sized hailstones should be just as painful as a cascade of lightning.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: May 01, 2017, 10:06:02 pm »

Hmm :/
@evictedSaint, did our design only manage to add a single feature? I had hoped we would've managed to get some improved articulation as well.

I support launching raids on both the Northern Sea and the Taiga. Not full-scale invasions, especially in the case of the Taiga, but enough to distract them. This may require an order.

0 -Begin assaults on the Northern Taiga
  1 -Begin Raids on the Northern Taiga: NUKE9.13
2 -Begin assaults on the Northern Sea: Madman, Detoxicated, NUKE9.13

Anyway. I think our Firestorm Shells are fine, the way I read the description of our design. A couple not going off is not a problem, so long as the majority work. I mean, we were already having 1/10 break, and that didn't cause our effectiveness to drop much. And once they get out of Extreme Range, we can simply stop using the enchantment, and go back to our previous level of reliability.

I'd really like to revise something to help our skirmishers, now that our artillery range problem is solved. Applying Boost of Wind to our skirmisher's armour could be helpful- and winning a few more skirmishes would really help our odds in the main battle.

Firestorm shell reliability revision: (3) Taricus, Devastator, Happerry
Horse Lamellar: (1) Detoxicated
Revise Hammer of Allah to work in the cold: (1) Madman198237
Boost of Wind Enchantment for Skirmishers: (1) NUKE9.13

Also, Madman: I don't think lowering the cost of our ballistae to Cheap will actually help much. One ballista per person is impractical; one per squad is about as many as we need.

Speaking of Expense Credits, I support showing him a wide range of wind spells, to see if he thinks any of them can be sold, and if not, selling him the Teletalk rods instead.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 10:09:15 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: May 01, 2017, 10:15:30 pm »

Revision: Firestorm Shell Reliability  [6]

The Firestorm Shell doesn't play nicely with the Boost of Wind and the oiled canvas will occasionally go out during firing.  These misfirings result in a (relatively) harmless clay pot shattering and coating the nearby individuals with Alannar where it lands.  In order to ensure they won't go out, we have replaced the oiled canvas with a coil of fuse-paper.  To prevent it from burning off while flying through the air, the fuse-paper is (carefully) baked into the pot.  This fuse-paper has a very small amount of Alannar rubbed on it and will not go out once lit.  The Firestorm shells remain at full lethality even at extreme ranges.

Surprisingly, we don't need much fuse-paper to ensure the shell will cook off once lit.  In fact, because the pot doesn't need to be literally wrapped with flaming oil canvas any more, it can be carried in-hand while armed.  Smaller pots at about a quarter the size of a Firestorm shell are fashioned into primitive hand grenades.  They are mostly useful for dropping on attackers or throwing into enemy lines, but are rather cumbersome to use as they must be lit with flint, torch, or splint before use and the pots are...well, just clay pots filled with an incredibly lethal fluid.  We're not sure what to do with these new Firestorm grenades as they aren't a particularly reliable means of inflicting casualties in this day and age of long-range heavy artillery.  Expensive.

Please compile your decision for the trader for this year.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: May 01, 2017, 10:18:31 pm »

@evictedSaint, did our design only manage to add a single feature?

You have enchantments that extend your reach another degree in range.  Your design was rather ambitious, so you spent most of your time getting the Boost and Lucky Strike to work with only the Boost being successful.  Designs are good for doing many minor tweaks or a few big ones; you have enchanted your first mundane piece of equipment that's not a rock, so your experience in that field has gone up.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: May 01, 2017, 10:23:52 pm »

Well, far be it from us to suggest strategy to our theatre commanders... wait, no, we do that all the time.

Firestorm Grenades can be used by skirmishers. Our Horse Archers, whose bows are all but useless at the moment, can instead carry a bandoleer of grenades and a lit splint. As they ride through the enemy camp at lightning speed, they can throw lit grenades at enemy supplies, tents, and whatnot. They may be less effective anti-personnel weapons, but destroying the enemy's supplies and cover will make even the Arstotzkans- who are used to living in squalor and poverty- suffer.

I support launching raids on both the Northern Sea and the Taiga. Not full-scale invasions, especially in the case of the Taiga, but enough to distract them. This may require an order.

0 -Begin assaults on the Northern Taiga
  1 -Begin Raids on the Northern Taiga: NUKE9.13
2 -Begin assaults on the Northern Sea: Madman, Detoxicated, NUKE9.13

Also, Madman: I don't think lowering the cost of our ballistae to Cheap will actually help much. One ballista per person is impractical; one per squad is about as many as we need.

Speaking of Expense Credits, I support showing him a wide range of wind spells, to see if he thinks any of them can be sold, and if not, selling him the Teletalk rods instead.

You have enchantments that extend your reach another degree in range.  Your design was rather ambitious, so you spent most of your time getting the Boost and Lucky Strike to work with only the Boost being successful.  Designs are good for doing many minor tweaks or a few big ones; you have enchanted your first mundane piece of equipment that's not a rock, so your experience in that field has gone up.
Fair enough. I hadn't realised how ambitious enchanting the ballista would be.

Mardent23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: May 01, 2017, 10:26:28 pm »

Are we all in agreement about the trader?

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: May 01, 2017, 10:27:17 pm »

@evictedSaint, I see that you failed to address our goal of having the enchanted ballista fire downwards. Could you address that please? <3
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: May 01, 2017, 10:34:02 pm »

We didn't roll super-great on it, and we did the main roll, longer range.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: May 01, 2017, 10:35:31 pm »

Choice of Storm Strike and Teletalk Wands: (2) Devastator, Taricus

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: May 01, 2017, 10:40:38 pm »

@evictedSaint, I see that you failed to address our goal of having the enchanted ballista fire downwards. Could you address that please? <3
He has:

Are we all in agreement about the trader?
If you mean trying to sell him some other wind spells, then selling him the Teletalk Rods if that fails, then yes.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: May 01, 2017, 10:51:00 pm »

The design for allowing further depression would require an overhaul of the ballista design.  The ammunition simply sits in the wooden guides, and tilting below 0 degrees results in it sliding forward and out of the bow. 

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: May 01, 2017, 11:16:37 pm »

As for the grenades, there's always in the mountains.  Sit on reverse slopes, use detect thoughts to get when the enemy is approaching to take posession, pitch grenades over the top or downhill.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 217