Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 189157 times)

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1800 on: May 16, 2017, 10:51:24 pm »

Well, we could try to revise that so it's usable
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: May 17, 2017, 12:43:43 am »

It's been a while, so I can't remember if we had anything more important to revise. Assuming we don't;

Taming of the Pegasus: The fact that spells take on a sort of 'intelligence' of their own once they gain sufficient complexity is intriguing, and definitely a line of research worth pursuing in the future. Right now however, it is a problem. But not an unsolvable one! The War Pegasi, perhaps influenced by the projected imagination of their riders, have started acting like wild horses. Well, we know how to deal with wild horses. They must be tamed.
A team of mages, guided by an imam and a horse tamer, 'communicate' with the Pegasus, rewarding it for good behaviour with gentle treatment, punishing it for bad behaviour with a carpet beater. Eventually, the carpet will 'learn' to act at its rider's behest... in theory.
Long Live United Forenia!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: May 17, 2017, 12:59:03 am »

Lucky Strike to be cheaper, so we can free up more mages to man the existing carpets.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: May 17, 2017, 12:59:21 am »

You know Nuke I was thinking that the pegasus was getting intelligent too, Fixing that might just mean we can coax the spear of allah into working right.

@EvictedSaint: How far can Spear of allah be aimed?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: May 17, 2017, 01:08:04 am »

The mage needs to be able to see the target they're casting against.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: May 17, 2017, 01:14:34 am »

Clearly or...?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: May 17, 2017, 01:18:27 am »

Yes, they need to be able to target where they want to hit.

Not that it matters, since it's a 50-50 shot of killing themselves and they can't do it in snowy weather.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: May 17, 2017, 01:24:51 am »

Ah, right.

Hmm... How do you guys feel about making fire arrows based off our hand grenades?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: May 17, 2017, 01:29:19 am »

I don't want it as that would be redundant if we ever get adamantine.  Revising our napalm into a burnable fuel might be of more benefit.  Or cheapening Lucky Strike so we have more carpets available due to requiring fewer full mages to man our ballistae.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: May 17, 2017, 01:30:19 am »

You saying that letting our archer set things on fire will be redundant? WHY I NEVER!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: May 17, 2017, 01:32:01 am »

You can't kill someone more than dead, and if the arrows cut through their armor like cheesecloth, they're just as dead that way.

Anyway, I vote for Revised Lucky Strike, where we try to streamline or simplify the casting process.  It might be through specific training, or use of wands to remove parts of the process, but if it's castable by apprentice that frees more mages to fly carpets.

(This turn is also a good demonstration of why I don't like using designs to fix partly-broken equipment.  In general, we need to beat the roll used to create the previous equipment to get anything of value.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:44:39 am by Devastator »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: May 17, 2017, 01:39:22 am »

True, but being able to arc our arrows over their fortifications and set fire to everything, along with the horse archers being able to burn down camps from a greater distance, is a worthy goal.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: May 17, 2017, 01:41:16 am »

True, but being able to arc our arrows over their fortifications and set fire to everything, along with the horse archers being able to burn down camps from a greater distance, is a worthy goal.

It wouldn't be useless, but I don't see it as being particularly necessary.  Plus if they come up with an anti-fire spell, I don't want to walk into the situation they did with their crystal weapons.

We could also try for Detect Sniper, which might help our fliers avoid their snipers, as well as helping us in skirmishes.

In fact, I think I'll change my vote to that.

Detect Sniper.  A non-magical ambush where people line up with bows or set traps waiting for the right opportunity to strike is not so very different than a person picking a specific target and moving in to create the right opportunity to strike.  Hence the spell to detect one of the above is not so very different than the other, and can be revised from the existing Detect Ambushes spell.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:46:46 am by Devastator »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: May 17, 2017, 01:45:30 am »

Man they've had how long to make that anti-fire spell? I highly doubt they'll make one any time soon.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: May 17, 2017, 01:47:20 am »

I would rather not depend on them being incompetent.

(About 3 turns, IIRC.  We didn't make the napalm very long ago, and they've been howling about the napalm a lot.  They might get hung up countering the carpets, otoh.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:49:32 am by Devastator »
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 217