Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 189115 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #1875 on: May 23, 2017, 08:39:46 am »

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me Happerry.

Still, even if the uses of Adamantium flee your vision now, you must admit that a durable metal is quite useful for all metal based technology.
Imagine adamantium boots with wind spells, that makes our fully adamantiumsized troops able to storm them into a melee battle...

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: May 23, 2017, 08:45:48 am »

Still, even if the uses of Adamantium flee your vision now, you must admit that a durable metal is quite useful for all metal based technology.
No no, the uses of Adamantium do not escape me. What escapes me is how you think we can design such a miracle metal in a single design.

I mean, we can try. But I'm telling you right now, we will NOT get anything remotely usable in a single design.
Long Live United Forenia!

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: May 23, 2017, 09:11:16 am »

But we have to get it one day or another, better early because then we can use revisions to repurpose it to many uses.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: May 23, 2017, 10:16:52 am »

I mean, we can try. But I'm telling you right now, we will NOT get anything remotely usable in a single design.

It must be nice to know what we're going to roll in advance.

And detoxicated, I don't know what you're thinking about, but that's not what Adamantium does.  The whole point of it as written is so it can be applied to existing objects, either before or after manufacture, and as such we don't need multiple revisions to use it.  The only exception to that would be to a ballistae, where we'll need to be able to apply more force due to stronger cables.

What you originally suggested, something that can be enchanted more easily, would be useless without futher designs, as none of our enchanted items are metal.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 11:02:20 am by Devastator »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: May 23, 2017, 12:18:17 pm »

What hinders us to make shoes of adamantium that are enchanted

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: May 23, 2017, 12:36:57 pm »

What hinders us to make shoes of adamantium that are enchanted

Nothing, but that would be a further design.  That's why I'm going for strength, it would work with our existing metal objects.

If it does come out as an enchantment, that would hurt it, but I don't care because we'd just make the enchanted boots out of not-metal.

If it's not an enchantment, we could then stack a strength enchantment on top of it, and have nigh-invulnerable troops.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:54:28 pm by Devastator »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: May 23, 2017, 02:16:59 pm »

Design: Adamantium [3, 4, 5]

We call upon Allah for a divine metal to smite our foes.  Our Researcher Preists, after many hours, pull a metal-like substance from the divine eather.

It is pure, snow-white metal, a constant, cool temperature regardless of what forge we fire it in.  It is as light as leather of the same size and thickness.  It has a soft, barely visible glow in the dark - truly, it is the metal of angels.

It's...not that great, in all honesty.

It has about the same properties of copper - soft, maleable - but cannot be melted down.  It's easy to work with, and it's cheaper and easier to get than actual copper, but inferior in quality to our existing steel.  Our Researcher Priests point out that this is more of a "proof of concept" than an end goal, and insist that with more time they could conjure metal that could slay fields of Arstotzkan heathens. 

But, for the moment, we don't really have any use for it.  Expensive.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:54:04 pm by evictedSaint »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: May 23, 2017, 02:23:36 pm »

Good!  We should be able to fix that with no more than one revision.  And we have something that provides a fixed global temperature, which means that it'll keep people warmer than freezing as well as being immune to fireballs.  Lots of use there.

Toughened Adamantine.  Lets try to modify that to make a metal stronger and tougher than steel, as being hard enough to bounce cannonballs is less use than being tough enough to absorb them.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:32:08 pm by Devastator »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: May 23, 2017, 02:31:03 pm »

Looks like the calls about it being a wasted action was basically correct.

Aaanyway.

Revise Lucky Strike to be Cheap (1): Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: May 23, 2017, 02:32:30 pm »

It was every bit as much use as our previous turn's design.  More use, as that one got a revision to bring it up to being useless.  I expect that with a revision we'll have it better than steel with anything not a 1 or a 2.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:36:06 pm by Devastator »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: May 23, 2017, 02:35:47 pm »

And we could've been calling down storms in winter by now.....Darnit.

Anyway, we only have one option now. We have to revise this ridiculous adamantine or we've wasted a design turn.

Make Adamantine Harder and Stronger: (1) Madman198237

Happerry...that's not how a revision works, AFAIK. That's what an expense credit is for. Unless you have some specific idea about how to revise it into a cheaper form, you can't really just wave your magic wand and say "CHEAP" and create a cheaper spell.

Even if we do have magical wands.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: May 23, 2017, 02:37:18 pm »

Even if we do have magical wands.

We could probably rev it to be cheaper with our wands.

And we can still rev for winter storms if that's what you prefer.  I would prefer to see the adamantine improved, especially with those rolls making it viable.  It's cheap enough to be useful, there's no serious drawbacks, and the only problem is that it isn't strong enough.. and that strengthening it is quite possible.  Very fixable.

Make Adamantine Harder and Stronger: (2) Madman198237, Devastator
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:41:27 pm by Devastator »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: May 23, 2017, 02:45:12 pm »

To be fair, we didn't roll fantastically. Perhaps on a 6 for effectiveness we would've gotten something useful.

Good!  We should be able to fix that with no more than one revision.  And we have something that provides a fixed global temperature, which means that it'll keep people warmer than freezing as well as being immune to fireballs.  Lots of use there.

Toughened Adamantine.  Lets try to modify that to make a metal stronger and tougher than steel, as being hard enough to bounce cannonballs is less use than being tough enough to absorb them.
That being said, I'm still not sure a single revision will be enough to make a useful metal out of this. But several revisions might, so we might as well start working on it now.

Honestly, I'm not sure how useful winter lightning would be. I think the range on Hammer of Allah is less than that of our artillery, and does about as much damage. As evictedSaint has remarked before, we've sort of turned this fantasy magic war into a magically-augmented WWI.

So, yes, let us make some harder Adamantium.

Make Adamantine Harder and Stronger: (3) Madman198237, Devastator, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: May 23, 2017, 02:46:39 pm »

Here's the thing: The storm upgrade is comprehensive. It's a design thing, capitalizing on all our experience. It's not a risk to be taken in a revision, and we can't afford to lose the ground. We have to make something, anything viable from adamantine. Right now, all it'd be good for is perhaps some strengthening of our ballistae, and I don't think that even that's a possibility.

Actually.....This adamantine is ideal for our ships.
Revise some ships to be plated in adamantine? It's super light-weight and it doesn't need to be indestructible to catch cannonballs. In fact, absorbing energy, bending and such, like it does now, would be almost ideal for stopping those cannonballs.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: May 23, 2017, 02:54:55 pm »

Oh, that reminds me - I didn't specify the weight.  It's comparable to leather of the same size and thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 217