Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 188244 times)

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2085 on: May 30, 2017, 11:41:11 pm »

Hmm, missed both phases. Ah well.

So guys, i hate to be a party pooper, but i do jave a question.
What exactly was making everything our of adamantium supposed to accomplish?
From whatbi can see, our problem is with their artillery,
 falcons, and towers of cold
, so I dont really see how thus has helped.

My suggestion for next design woupd be Stealth Bombers. Making some sort of invisibility cloak or wand or something seems like it would solve several problems.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:01:35 am by S34N1C »
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: May 30, 2017, 11:54:51 pm »

Expense Credit: Adamantium

We make some minor refinements to the summoning process that allows us to gain larger amounts of the metal in a single spell.  We also set up a distribution system to get the metal to smithing centers and disseminate the method of smithing the metal to everyone who can work a hammer and anvil.

The end result is the metal is now as cheap as steel, and anywhere metal would be used Adamantium is put in it's place.  Our men have taken to painting over the softly-glowing scales of their armor to prevent the light from keeping them up at night, and our horse-archers are now relevant again because their shoddy bodkin arrows now equipped with Adamantium tips. As an added bonus, our Wands of Thunderbolts are also now cheap, since the core was made from Adamantium.

Our entire army is now entirely reliant on this summoned metal.  Cheap.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: May 31, 2017, 12:28:13 am »

What exactly was making everything our of adamantium supposed to accomplish?
From whatbi can see, our problem is with their artillery,
 falcons, and towers of cold
, so I dont really see how thus has helped.

It provides adamantium arrows and ballista bolts, as well as making a +1 cost bonus for our next turn armoured cart thing.  Which shouldn't need an engine given the very light weight of the metal, as well as not needing armour topside or all-around or an internal ballista, so it should be able to be simply pushed around.  The direct help this turn was the wands of lightning bolt, which should help us in the air and provide the immediate direct bonus.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: May 31, 2017, 01:25:56 am »

Couldn't we use a revision to give our men winter clothes?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: May 31, 2017, 05:47:55 am »

Couldn't we use a revision to give our men winter clothes?
[/quote

Presumably, yes. I'd like to do a magical solution as well though. I think we're going to need more than just a mundane solution.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: May 31, 2017, 07:31:45 am »

If we work adamantine into a form that is both threadlike a warm to the touch, we can make winter clothes out of it.

That or we create some form of magical fire that can drastically raise the temperature of an area, preferably without, you know, burning everything.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: May 31, 2017, 07:46:46 am »

Our entire army is now entirely reliant on this summoned metal.  Cheap.
Ominous.

Anyway, yeah, we could design Mithril to have a fixed temperature of, say, 25° (Celsius). That way clothes made of the stuff would keep the wearer comfortable in any weather.

Armoured carts will not protect us from artillery. They will not bolster our agility. The only thing they will do is make us less vulnerable to arrows and fireballs. And our armour is already decent protection against arrows, whist Tubikh Rrahim takes care of the fireballs. So I really don't see why we should spend a design on something like that.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: May 31, 2017, 09:57:26 am »

What on earth do you mean that armored carts don't protect against cannonballs?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/Leonardo_tank.JPG

Something like THAT, only made of jungle wood reinforced with adamantine. Relatively large and with a thick skin of adamantine. Remember, adamantine weighs something roughly equivalent to leather, so it's not all that heavy, especially for its strength.

Also, evicted, should we be expecting higher mobility in our forces because of adamantine's lesser weight?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: May 31, 2017, 10:02:36 am »

I know what you mean by armoured cart. I'm saying that it will either be too heavy to move (at a decent pace)(In which case the enemy can just focus fire on it until the armour is overwhelmed), or not heavily armoured enough to withstand artillery.
Long Live United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: May 31, 2017, 10:06:55 am »

We have magical metal for armor. It's not a problem.

They are going to be faster even than a similar cart made of wood, because adamantine is so much lighter. And their will be horses underneath the thing moving it along. It doesn't have to move fast, remember, it just has to MOVE. Their spotting system and cannons are so slow to operate they probably won't even have the capability to track the carts well enough to do appreciable damage.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: May 31, 2017, 11:10:49 am »

Have you tried carrying a cow's worth of leather?  It's actually quite heavy. If you really want to avoid getting shot by cannon balls we should be aiming to not get shot at all rather than slowly trundling towards them.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: May 31, 2017, 11:28:48 am »

I'd expect they would score some hits, but we have the ships at sea to note for how hard they hit, and those ships don't have terribly big plates either.  That's all the protection we need, to get into medium range, as when we hit medium range they can't shoot cannons at us any more.

Still, there may be other solutions, but that one seems doable, even if it's just lines of men with big shields at the front.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: May 31, 2017, 12:02:27 pm »

How about an earth moving spell it would allow our men to create cover to hide behind while they advance. Also on the defence they don't have to hide in trenches which was mentioned to be killing some of them from wet conditions.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: May 31, 2017, 12:24:26 pm »

Yes, something like this:
Rock Fort
This spell enables the caster to call upon closeby rock from within the earth as well as pebbles on the surface. The rock creates fortifications like walls, towers, and stairs, and its strength is dependant
on the rocks present in the area. Multiple casters are able to create complicated structures at a whim.

Khang36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: May 31, 2017, 12:29:56 pm »

Probable want to be able to move dirt or sand in front of the walls. The dirt and sand will to there to absorb some of the impact of the cannon rounds where as stone would crumble under the bombardment.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 217