Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 189148 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2295 on: June 10, 2017, 12:38:20 am »

That's about expected. The big question is how big of a boost owning the seas will give us.

I'm going to go HAM on something for the revision credit tomorrow as we are in desperate need of it.

We either need to kill their cold or kill their arty with this design and revision. There are several options for that, some of which are more viable depending on if we get the revision credit. One idea I'd like to look at is empowering Divine Desert Winds, as we should get some sort of Weather Magic bonus to it as we have experience with that. If we can make it so that it doesn't interfere with Storm Strike as well as make it stronger, it's effectively the same effect as an all-weather Storm Strike while also helping counter their Lesser Cold Towers.

I'm also suggesting again the Night Vision Divination, as night attacks are explicitly one of the counters for artillery.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: June 10, 2017, 01:42:06 am »

Evicted has straight up told us what our actions should be.

- Keep our soldiers warm
- Make Reverbramancy more useful
- All-weather Storm strike

Two of those have already had actions put into them, so I say finish them first. It should only take a revision to fix storm strike, then we're back with LoS artillery barrages and a weather advantage. I think we should use this design on Reverbramancy this turn as well, to give our mages Spidey-sense.

Also, I say we use our hero to teach the Sultan's daughter. Only the best will suffice.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: June 10, 2017, 01:59:37 am »

Evicted has straight up told us what our actions should be.

To be fair, I've been doing that even before I was GM.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: June 10, 2017, 02:04:22 am »

You were biased beforehand though :P

Here's hoping all our advantages are obscure enough that you found it difficult to portray them to the Arstotzkans :P

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: June 10, 2017, 02:49:47 am »

Arstotzka does something entirely unexpected this year.  Previously thought impossible, they build another cannon
how fucking unprecedented
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: June 10, 2017, 03:06:43 am »

EDIT: Changed horse riding to carpet riding, specified that al-Mutriqa takes an entire year away from combat to teach her.
EDIT 2: Added more references to al-Mutriqa helping teach her.

Anyway. Damn those Arstotzkans. Breech-loading cannons? Sure, why not. This is making me think we really should go for magnetism, because they're getting into 20th-century tech whilst we're messing about in the dark ages.
But more seriously. We should revise all-weather Storm Strike. That much is obvious. Personally I would like to design improvements to our airships, because as we saw at sea, airships make an excellent place to cast Storm Strike from, so if we could do that on land, that would be great.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:17:36 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: June 10, 2017, 03:21:36 am »

Cannon of Allah

What if lightning, but more? In exchange for truly overwhelming power this spell needs a moderately long ritual and prayer. But the reward is depositing large amounts of energy into our enemies.

(Everyone seems to be discussing revision stuff, so figure I may as well throw out a somewhat generic design.)
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: June 10, 2017, 03:25:43 am »

I like the curriculum. I'm tempted to suggest that Al-Mutriqa should actually take a year's break from the front lines purely so he can dedicate his time to teaching the princess however. Apprenticing her directly to the greatest mage on the continent will clearly be the best way to improve her abilities.

Besides, there are no National Efforts that we need A-Mutriqa to manage, so I think we can afford it.

I also suspect that as royalty, she would already know how to ride a horse. Instead I suggest we swap it out for carpet riding riding, and we make sure to keep the Aladdin references to a minimum.

Anyway, an actual design:

Passive Antichronic Reverbramancy - By deciphering the sub-frequencies within a tremor to identify overarching principles (such as recognizing when something that'll hurt is going to be fired at you, rather than caring exactly what type of painful thing it is) a user can maintain this fourth dimensional danger sense without impeding his ability to function normally. Once a threat is sensed, a user can then hone in on it if further information is required (such as determining the exact nature of an artillery strike), or allow his subconscious awareness to spur his body into action (in the case of knowing how exactly your opponent intends to impale you with his sword).

Furthermore, this ability to focus in and out at will allows the user to see potentially minutes in advance, from when the spotter first sights the potential target. The reverberations simply get more and more pronounced as the enemy becomes more definite in their plans to strike.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 08:53:39 am by Kashyyk »

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: June 10, 2017, 08:14:11 am »

I like the curriculum. I'm tempted to suggest that Al-Mutriqa should actually take a year's break from the front lines purely so he can dedicate his time to teaching the princess however. Apprenticing her directly to the greatest mage on the continent will clearly be the best way to improve her abilities.

Besides, there are no National Efforts that we need A-Mutriqa to manage, so I think we can afford it.

I also suspect that as royalty, she would already know how to ride a horse. Instead I suggest we swap it out for carpet riding riding, and we make sure to keep the Aladdin references to a minimum.

In addition to this, I suggest teaching her how to cast the spellbook-derived form of Detect Thoughts before delving into more advanced techniques. Once she's got a good grasp of the spell, her teachers shall be able to grant her privileged access to a portion of their mind during their demonstrations, thereby providing her with an exhaustive first-hand perspective of the casting process that wouldn't be attainable by the mundane forms of teaching. What better way to understand the miracles of magic than to witness them from the minds of the masters themselves? Even more so if it's al-Mutriqa who'll be doing most of the teaching.
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: June 10, 2017, 08:34:25 am »

Dangit you, now we've got to spend the revision like THIS:

Academy of Magic
Using our Detect Thoughts spells, worthy apprentices' thoughts are scanned. If they are found pure of heart and iron in resolve, they may then be granted early knowledge of how to use a new spell: Knowledge. This simple spell allows the user to touch the mind of a willing mage, who can impart knowledge through the mental link. The apprentice can learn only what the master chooses to share, it only needs to work over a distance of a few feet, and the spell cannot be sustained by an apprentice alone---the mage with which they are mentally conversing must help sustain the link, as it relies on the willingness of the subject. This greatly simplifies the spell, allowing even the newest apprentice to cast it, if only under the strict guidance of a master. Then they will use that spell to learn from the likes of al-Mutriqa and our Researcher Priests. This will greatly increase the speed of apprentice training, meaning that more combat-ready apprentices can be deployed to the front, and more mages will join our ranks every year. Apprentices who are not worthy, or whose thoughts contain hints of treason, revolt, or a lack of skill, will be put through a harder but more mundane training course. They will be indoctrinated properly, and brought to the level of skill necessary to fight.

But for the design:

Wrath of Allah
Storm Strike, the Hammer, and the Spear are all expressions of the will of Allah. This takes that association to a new, unprecedented, and much more powerful level, using all we have learned through these long years of war, about magic and about calling on Allah. Through revising all of the spells to contain more references to the Holy Books, more prayers, and more desire for explosions, all three spells are vastly empowered. As His Will will not be denied, the Wrath of Allah can be cast in the desert heat or the cold of the taiga, and it can be cast by a single mage over the course of an hour. The storm still requires the concentration of at least one mage, though more can help. The more and more powerful the mages who attend the spell, the more powerful the spell. The same number of mages previously necessary for the casting of Storm Strike can now produce an unparalleled storm of terrible ferocity. The bolts will not merely disable a cannon, they will superheat the water and explode the breech, while killing everyone near the gun. They will kill squads at a time, igniting the sky like pillars of death.

Writing the fluff was FUN!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:17:01 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: June 10, 2017, 09:05:45 am »

I also suspect that as royalty, she would already know how to ride a horse. Instead I suggest we swap it out for carpet riding, and we make sure to keep the Aladdin references to a minimum.
Both good ideas.
In addition to this, I suggest teaching her how to cast the spellbook-derived form of Detect Thoughts before delving into more advanced techniques. Once she's got a good grasp of the spell, her teachers shall be able to grant her privileged access to a portion of their mind during their demonstrations, thereby providing her with an exhaustive first-hand perspective of the casting process that wouldn't be attainable by the mundane forms of teaching. What better way to understand the miracles of magic than to witness them from the minds of the masters themselves? Even more so if it's al-Mutriqa who'll be doing most of the teaching.
Also a good idea, although Detect Thoughts is Expensive; it is the pinnacle of what a fully trained apprentice can cast. The princess will require considerable education before she is able to cast it.

Dangit you, now we've got to spend the revision like THIS:

Academy of Magic

But for the design:

Wrath of Allah

Writing the fluff was FUN!
I doubt we can get an Academy with a revision. Although... hang on, did you mean that we use the revision to create a new version of Detect Thoughts, that we then use as an educational tool? Because that... might work.

Whilst spending a design on improving Storm Strike would undoubtedly lead to a far more powerful spell, it would still suffer from the same problem Storm Strike does: we can't reliably get into range to cast it, at least on land.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: June 10, 2017, 10:34:39 am »

We use the education revision to boost our airships so we can better get the casters in range. Though using a revision to get that revision is a little up in the air, but better to deny them the resource at least.

I still want Night Vision and Wands of Commando, but those can wait. Lesser Heat Towers/Improving DDW are something we need to do soon, the next turn at the latest.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: June 10, 2017, 12:01:19 pm »

Alrighty. The reason that's a REVISION is because it simply hasn't been done before. If we use Detect Thoughts as an advanced teaching aid (FOR GOOD APPRENTICES ONLY) we'll get vastly more combat-ready apprentices and mages...and it's not difficult. It just takes a little inspiration before realizing that using it will vastly increase learning compression (More info in the same amount of time) because you don't have to show it and practice if you can just take the knowledge directly.

We work on numbers. Once we apply the plains bonus to this, it will be GLORIOUS. First, however, we gotta take the planes back. Hence Storm Strike. On the plains, there's no cover. There are no trees to get struck first, no caves to hide in, not even many castles to cower inside of. The Arstotzkans will be entirely exposed. We HAVE to revamp warfare again. Night warfare---dodge the artillery entirely. We KNOW they're going to be fixing those lightweight cannons. We need to get ready to combat that, and that means killing all their cannons, and fast. We NEED to empower Storm Strike, and we need to do it with the biggest option available. Unless anyone would like to disagree with the fact that Storm Strike is our most powerful set of abilities?

EDIT: Thanks for the thought---I'll edit the description of the Training Academy to include the fact that it's a change to Detect Thoughts to make it easier to cast, but only functioning on a willing target. Previously it didn't involve that, but if the spell is Expensive then we'll have to change things around.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:03:14 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: June 10, 2017, 12:06:01 pm »

Look, Madman, I'd vote for upgrading Storm Strike if you can explain to me how we are going to get in range to cast it.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: June 10, 2017, 12:16:33 pm »

That's the genius: With a faster casting time, we don't need to.

We cast it at night, at first. And even then, only if we can't carry a single extra mage on our ship (Remember, we're throwing all our knowledge at it to improve all its parts) to sustain and direct the storm.

You're right, though: It's not clear enough on how it's improved. I'll edit the original with this updated description.

Wrath of Allah
Storm Strike, the Hammer, and the Spear are all expressions of the will of Allah. This takes that association to a new, unprecedented, and much more powerful level, using all we have learned through these long years of war, about magic and about calling on Allah. Through revising all of the spells to contain more references to the Holy Books, more prayers, and more desire for explosions, all three spells are vastly empowered. As His Will will not be denied, the Wrath of Allah can be cast in the desert heat or the cold of the taiga, and it can be cast by a single mage over the course of an hour. The storm still requires the concentration of at least one mage, though more can help. The more and more powerful the mages who attend the spell, the more powerful the spell. The same number of mages previously necessary for the casting of Storm Strike can now produce an unparalleled storm of terrible ferocity. The bolts will not merely disable a cannon, they will superheat the water and explode the breech, while killing everyone near the gun. They will kill squads at a time, igniting the sky like pillars of death.

So, the improvements, in a list:
Can be cast in all weathers (Duh)
Can be cast faster (Single hour instead of an entire DAY)
Can be cast by just one person (Instead of several of our powerful mages, who were previously held up for an entire day)
Can have additional mages join the first (Creating storms of greater and greater power)
Can be made much more powerful (Well duh again. If you recall the original design description: "God is Good, and so is the application of excessive firepower." Well, this makes use of BOTH those ideas, which happen to be the underlying tenets of our strategies for the last couple DECADES)
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 217