Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 217

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Moskurg] {COMPLETED}  (Read 189167 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Moskurg]
« Reply #2790 on: July 13, 2017, 08:45:31 am »

Quote from: Designs
Bane - Magical Explosive
Lightning Rifle :
Lightning Cannon :
Angel Wings :
Storm Elementals :
Hariq al-Siyni (Chinese Fire) :

I suspect they managed to sneak their fireballs into the steam engine somehow, just like they've done to make their cannons. Either way, I suspect I won't be able to win with the Lightning Cannon just yet, but if we get a good explosive this turn I may have some more support for it next turn. Assuming Arstotzka doesn't pull some nonsense out of left field anyway.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: July 13, 2017, 09:02:06 am »

Bane - Magical Explosive : (1) Taricus
Lightning Rifle :
Lightning Cannon :
Angel Wings :
Storm Elementals :

We need to leapfrog a bit in regards to explosives Nuke, and we can afford to with the research credit. @SMMI: The storm elemental, or the storms themselves, aren't cast at sea, meaning they aren't likely to help there.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: July 13, 2017, 09:29:00 am »

Alright, so I've wasted a lot of time thinking on this. There are a few options,  some more fun than others.

Flametroopers
In one design we should be capable of roughly duplicating almost-full-body plate armor. Add a backpack to that and use the revision to downsize an adamantine scroll to easily-man-portable size.....and pump Alnnar (The original, flammable stuff, not the explosive) into the tube. Light at other end. This will likely require two turns (One for armor and a clothlike/leather-like adamantine for better temperature protection) and one full turn for functional flame-throwing.

Phoenix
Refitting an Alsamma is a natural consequence of upgrading our air forces....but this isn't your average refit. Massive numbers of the scrolls are fitted everywhere, including a large number pointing directly DOWN under the hull (Set into the hull itself and pointed downwards). Inside the now-empty bays (Where the carpets once resided) are giant tanks....tanks filled with Alnnar. By injecting the fluid into the downward stream and lighting it as it exits, the entire ship can become a fiery weapon of the wrath of our nation. Merely flying over Arstotzkan positions with this beast will silence them and all within them...forever.

Finally, my favorite:
al-Tawrbinat's Wind Machine
By ramping up the power of the adamantine scrolls, we can create a wind cannon, a more graceful alternative to the elderly ballista or profane cannons of Arstotzka. Projectiles fed into the slot at the top rear of this weapon are pushed with great force down the barrel and fly to Extreme range or beyond.

And for the revision we either design a modern artillery shell (Aerodynamic shape, though we probably won't need rifling what with Lucky Strike and all) or we do this:
al-Tawrbinat's Hair Dryer (Better Name Pending)
The Wind Machine is a wondrous invention. So wondrous that al-Tawrbinat himself spent extra time on the project this year and invented a man-portable version capable of throwing a Firestorm grenade out to Medium range. Since it is constantly "on", there is a cover over one end that will stop the wind until it is removed. Just like the artillery version, anything dropped into the hole on top (Near the back of the tube) will go flying, quite far.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: July 13, 2017, 09:44:30 am »

We need to leapfrog a bit in regards to explosives Nuke, and we can afford to with the research credit. @SMMI: The storm elemental, or the storms themselves, aren't cast at sea, meaning they aren't likely to help there.

The focus is on land combat anyway at the moment, and we're killing it on the seas so we don't need to advance there specifically.

Lightning Rifle :
Lightning Cannon :
Angel Wings :
Storm Elementals : (1) SMMI
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: July 13, 2017, 09:49:46 am »

Okay, so, I was discussing this in the Discord. The Storm Elemental idea is neat, but I think we can take it a step further. It's a bit of a desperation move, but we are desperate.

Storm Elementals (Soul Transposal): Since our very first experiments with magic, we have seen that the minds of men are powerful things, capable of transposing their will onto others in devastating ways. Our control of the mind has gotten more refined, with time, and we reached the point that we could even create new minds to inhabit our storms and direct their actions. However, these minds are weak, and require the dedicated effort of many wizards to control and sustain.
Yet... why do we need to create new minds, when we have so many already at our disposal? They may be contained within mortal forms presently, but we have seen with spells such as Antichronic Reverbramancy that said connection is weak, and easily broken.
So. Take Winds of Ruin. At first, everything is normal. A storm is summoned, and a wizard exerts their will over it. However, rather than stop there, the wizard focuses more and more of themselves onto the storm, 'transmitting' their consciousness into the elements using a technique similar to Teletalk wands. Certain substances help the wizard detach themselves from their body, until at last they have become the storm, controlling it effortlessly, like they did their body before. The newly formed Storm Elemental is free to roam as far afield as it pleases, wreaking havoc on Arstotzkans wherever they may dwell.
Meanwhile, the wizard's mortal form is in a sort of 'coma'. A ritual will be devised to summon the wizard's soul back into his body when their rampage is complete... but if the ritual doesn't work, well... they're not dead. And their names will be remembered forever, as martyrs.

In other words... we make storms autonomous by, as it were, sacrificing wizards. Not literally! They aren't dead! Just, their souls and body have been separated, and it may not be possible to rejoin them.

...I'm not saying this is the best idea ever. But if we want to go down the Storm Elemental route, this would provide a lot more bang for your buck.

EDIT: Of the current suggestions... I like the Phoenix, and the Lightning Cannon. The Wind Machine just seems like it would be weaker than the LC. I think better explosives would be a force multiplier for our fliers/artillery, though.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:58:26 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: July 13, 2017, 09:54:37 am »

I like it, but I also like mine, so I'ma wait to see where the votes go.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: July 13, 2017, 10:09:08 am »

Lightning Rifle :
Lightning Cannon :
Angel Wings :
Storm Elementals : (1) SMMI
al-Tawrbinat's Wind Machine: (1) Madman198237
Phoenix (Airship with flamethrowers): (0)
Adamantine Full-Plate Armor: (0)

Also, there's an alternative to all of this:
In two turns, we design full adamantine plate armor, enchant it to deflect/protect the wearer from lightning completely, and revamp the Hammer of Allah to hit so many times in its area of effect that you can't see what's happening behind the field of blasts.

And then we send an infantry charge through the lightning.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:16:36 am by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: July 13, 2017, 10:30:57 am »

Incidentally, for the Design Credit:

We are very impressed by the Saint's magic show. Let us impress him in turn with a magic show of our own, featuring:
-The Miraculous Levitating Lady! No tricks, no wires! Just a dress with levitation spells woven into it (very dangerous, do not operate more than 3' off the ground).
-al-Sakin's Knife Throwing Expertise! Gasp in amazement as the wonderous al-Sakin throws knives at a beautiful damsel tied to a spinning wheel! Not one drop of blood shall be shed! And all it takes is some extremely powerful 'Maghnats' behind the wheel, plus Lucky Strike.
-We Could Do The Mind-Reading Card Trick But He Already Did It So Never Mind!
-The Endless Handkerchiefs Interlocking Metal Rings! How many can he pull out of his sleeve? They never end! Because they're made of Adamantium, and he is summoning them into existence.
-Fantastic Firebreathers! Gasp as mortal men breathe gouts of flame, like mythical beasts! Drinking Arak spiked with Alnnar will do that to you.
-[Anyone else got any ideas?]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:41:02 am by NUKE9.13 »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: July 13, 2017, 10:50:59 am »

-We Could Do The Mind-Reading Card Trick But He Already Did It So Never Mind

Pick a man out of the lineup! Think of a number! Invent a completely random word in your head! I'm sure I can guess it!

Another one:
Look how I can make it rain everywhere but on me!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: July 13, 2017, 12:30:40 pm »

Proposal from Discord discussion:

TLDR: Use revision to nullify Arstotzkan artillery entirely, upgrade infantry armor to make fireballs a non-issue and give us an infantry combat advantage.

Adamantine Full-Plate
By making a set of adamantine plate armor, our soldiers can be better protected than ever before from Arstotzkan infantry weapons. Combined with a new, cloth or leather-like form of adamantine, our soldiers are entirely covered by tough and temperature-controlled material, most of which is in a highly protective plate form. Fireballs will be useless against the full helms and veil-like face protection included with our new armor.

Breaking Relativity, Because A Wizard May Have Done Something About It
Violating causality and relativity by appearing faster than the speed of light allows, the antimagic field generated by a Staff of Tubikh Rrahim begins some distance past the caster. Meaning that should the caster decide to produce a cone of antimagic field, it does not affect anything within, say, 5 meters of him. This allows for a Skyskiff's occupant to wield such a Stave without causing the skiff to fall from the sky. Arstotzka's artillery shall, for the first time in so many years, fall silent.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:22:02 pm by Madman198237 »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: July 13, 2017, 02:29:43 pm »

Storm elementals are fine but if we made storm avatars instead, our wizard could rejoin their bodies afterwards

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: July 13, 2017, 02:32:52 pm »

I disagree with doing SEs, but the proposal is for a temporary elemental controlled by a wizard. NUKE proposed a doomsday version where one or more wizards detach their souls/minds from their bodies entirely to fuel even more hideously powerful storms. The spell to reattach said minds and/or souls to their bodies isn't included in the proposal.

So no, the Storm Elemental proposal does NOT require the death of a wizard. NUKE's technically doesn't either, but it leaves the wizard in a presently unreversable coma.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: July 13, 2017, 02:48:43 pm »

Yes. Since they are in an irriversible coma it is a no go... which is why i wouldnt vote for it unless changed, even though its the best suggestion so far... except for angel wings but you guys seem to hate them

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: July 13, 2017, 02:57:42 pm »

Look, to make an omelette you gotta break a few eggs, and to snatch victory from the brink of defeat you have to put a few wizards into a coma.
...also, the spell to reattach them is intended to be included, just at a low priority. We might get it if we roll well. If not, well, I'm sure being a storm of unimaginable power is enjoyable in its own way.

Angel wings... remember how our carpet riders were getting shot down before? They'd just be the same as carpets.

To be clear, I'm not 100% behind SE(ST). I'd actually rather develop explosives.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: July 13, 2017, 03:13:47 pm »

Just a Thought, But why not invest in inventing overly spiked Adamantine balls? to toss into our tornadoes? they would be rather light... And it would REALLY improve how much damage they can do.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 217