Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 376984 times)

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #345 on: April 02, 2017, 05:44:14 pm »

So, instead of an easier way to cast the caltrops, allowing us to handle the horses that took the plains from us, we got a way to cast a SINGLE spell ONCE by any magic user at the cost of resources and the time of spellcasters capable of casting it? And it must be altered to work for other spells? Those spellcasters may as well be casting it on the front lines. We may as well have rolled a 3. Now don't get me wrong, it's quite an interesting innovation, but it is of little use in war. Also, if a scroll was stolen by the enemy, they could reverse-engineer it to There are a few ways to make it useful, though.

-Make it more efficient to make scrolls, possibly so that non-mages could write simple scrolls.
-Make a slightly-modified fireball scroll so that it burns up the caster, then let the enemy take them. Will kill off their mages, but they could also learn scrollcraft for themselves.
-Find a way to seal an enemy's spell inside a scroll? (Very unlikely)

And that's it.
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 02, 2017, 05:46:16 pm »

Hmmm, I guess that makes sense.  I'll modify it so that non-mages can produce them, so it's more of a concrete advantage.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 02, 2017, 06:07:43 pm »

I still don't see the actual benefit of the scrolls though.

The Scrolls allow us to revise a spell as being castable at lower cost. However, any revision action can be used for that exact purpose. We did so for a long time, after all.

Scrolls thus seem completely redundant.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 02, 2017, 06:11:12 pm »

Yeah...I guess prepackaging a spell into a scroll is completely useless.  I can't really think of any scenario where having this new method of magic would be useful, even with further designs and revisions.

If you guys would prefer, I can retcon it be a better understanding of crystal magic in addition to having a cheaper cost instead.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 02, 2017, 06:25:23 pm »

So are the crystal caltrops Cheap now? If so, I think we should just stay with this result. True, we didn't gain much in the field of crystal magic, but we've made a breakthrough in the field of meta-magic (casting from scrolls). All we need is to spend another revision to cut down the time cost.

United Forenia Forever!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 02, 2017, 06:33:37 pm »

So are the crystal caltrops Cheap now?

Yes - I am offering the choice between scroll magic or a better understanding of crystal magic.  I realize scrolls don't seem that useful, so I'm offering the choice between the two.

EDIT: Well, it seems like it's two votes against scrolls and one for.  I'll go ahead and erase that bit of magic knowledge and replace it with a better understanding of crystals.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 06:47:02 pm by evictedSaint »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 02, 2017, 07:04:46 pm »

Uh guys.

Guys.

Take the scrolls.

I can think of several ways to improve on it later, but with our apprentice school it means our skilled wizards can stay behind the lines as we revise all our spells to be cheaper for our many more apprentices to use.  Or we can make a scroll-writing school/workshop where we teach apprentices to make very specific scrolls.

Or revise them so non-spellcasters can draw or even cast them, maybe with some kind of magic storage and control system.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 02, 2017, 07:25:50 pm »

Crystal Caltrops make a huge difference this year.  Their calvary, already a thorn in our side, are weakened by these subtle traps.  A new pass-time of Arstotzkan troops is watching approaching Moskurg calvary and betting on which horse will trip on the jagged crystals first.  Since most of their assaults occur at night, the crystals are all but invisible to their riders.

The mountains remain ours with with laughable ease.  Enemy commanders only send a few forays into the stony heights before pulling back.  Our troops sit high above, pelting them with arrows from the mist and driving them away time and time again.  The only problem is their damnable storms and the lightning that comes with it - at one point a blast struck the company commander, frying both him and the guards around him.  This seems like a fluke, though - if anything, their control of the storms has gotten worse!  Our men reported seeing a foolish Moskurg wizard being struck by lightning from the very storm he helped conjure!  This is no doubt good news for our men, and clearly cracks in their understanding of magic.  Though things continue to remain unchanged in the mountains, at least the Moskurgs seem tired of marching up and down mountains every year.

Arstotzka maintains control of the Mountains.

The plains are not our forte, however.  The enemy's highly maneuverable and plentiful calvary excel in the wide-open spaces.  Thankfully, their skirmishes have become less effective - our caltrops keep our positions safe at night, and Moskurg calvary is wary of further assaults. Their defense of the plains has been as solid as ever, unfortunately.  Caltrops are hard to use on the offense, and the coordinated assaults, precisely timed calvary charges, and a withering hail of arrows has kept us at bay for yet another year. 

Thankfully, the Moskurgs seem content to sit in the plains rather than press further north into our homelands.

Moskurg maintains control of the plains.

The fighting in the jungle has ground to a halt.  Even with Myark gone, combat has remained as viscious as ever.  The Moskurgs have been failing skirmish after skirmish as their horses stumble during assaults - of every skirmish they attempted, only one was successful.  Their assaults during the day suffer without the success of their nightly skirmishes, and they've been forced to retreat as our heavily armored Arstotzkans fight at full force. 

Unfortunately, we don't have enough of an advantage to push back.  Skirmishing has never been our strongest advantage, and here they uniformly result in failure. Our assaults are likewise unsuccessful, and we are forced to retreat rather than press further.  Neither side manages to gain prisoners this year, as combat seems limited to probing assaults and failed nightly raids.

Neither side gains ground in the jungle.

An ill wind blows in from the sea - almost literally.  For the first time at sea the wind seems to favor Moskurg forces - this isn't an end-all for us as we use rows for locomotion, but their increased speed and the ability to make the seas roil or calm at their command gives them a definite edge.  We sink one of their fleets in the eastern sea in an ambush, but are unable to scoop out any sailors from the roiling seas.  In the west two of our fleets are sunk as they struggle against the violent ocean, but once their hulls sink below the waves the sea grows calm once again.  Our men are scooped out of the drink and returned to us, then promptly put aboard new ships and returned to the ocean.  We've lost ground here, though - Moskurg has secured another section of coastline.

Moskurg gains territory in the Western Sea.

We've had few casualties this year - most of which came from the sea as the combat there increased in intensity.  With our land forces still at full capacity, our King orders more boats constructed for naval combat.

It is 918, the Design Phase.

Spoiler: State of Forenia, 918 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arstotzkan Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arstotzkan Elite Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arstotzkan Spells (click to show/hide)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 02, 2017, 08:05:50 pm »

Design:(-1)
Crystal fire wasps: Duplicate the fire wasp swarm spell but replace the conjured flesh bodies with crystal bodies. Also make them larger(especially the wings because crystal may be lighter than steel, but still...) but less numerous and with a higher activity rate for faster wings and more force. Like, fist-sized. Also imbue them with instincts to land when the wind is too strong for their steel-like wings and to take off again when there is a face nearby to sting or the ground is bad for some reason.

Crystal is as hard as steel and lighter. This should be a cheap foray into the world of crystal golems with the upside of being compatible with naval-warfare and horse-bothering.

Revision: Focused Forever Frost Extend the range by producing a wedge instead of a sphere. Focus it upon clouds to turn them from rain to snow. Focus it on enemies to give them the sniffles. Focus it upon our own supplies to make iced-cream...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 03:42:13 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 03, 2017, 01:07:13 am »

One thing at a time, please.

I can think of several ways to improve on it later, but with our apprentice school it means our skilled wizards can stay behind the lines as we revise all our spells to be cheaper for our many more apprentices to use.  Or we can make a scroll-writing school/workshop where we teach apprentices to make very specific scrolls.
We can revise spells to be cheaper without requiring wizardscrafting scrolls. Scrolls are literally less than useless. I'd like the idea of improved crystalic understanding (which is what we originally designed, more.

Design : Combat longboat. A smaller, cheaper version of our current combat longboat, intended for combat rather than just deploying troops. It's equipped with a steel ram (mountain metal bonus) and can quickly kill the enemy.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:37:49 am by 10ebbor10 »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 03, 2017, 01:18:35 am »

-Snip-
We can revise spells to be cheaper without requiring wizards. Scrolls are literally less than useless. I'd like the idea of improved crystalic understanding (which is what we originally designed, more.

If you go back, I modified the revision roll to more accurately reflect what your goal was and removed your newfound ability to craft scrolls.  Your nation now has an improved understanding of crystal magic and how it's formed.  How you interpret that is up to you.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 03, 2017, 01:41:27 am »

I wonder how simple a longboat hull is and if we can make it out of crystal. We really should start working on crystal permanency. Iituem said that summoned gear with 24+ h would be considered a permanent equipment if I remember correctly.
Maybe start with a permanent axe to get the tech? Or go directly for boats, crystal boats would be great.

Evictedsaint, just to be clear: I don't think you are biased and favoring moskurg and definitely not implying so in any of my posts. I was just disappointed that we got something so different from our goal and of limited present utility(i know, you changed it now and made me an happy man)
On a related note, I found this year's combat report good and informative enough.

Edit: will write a proposal or 2 during lunch break.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 01:49:22 am by andrea »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 03, 2017, 01:49:49 am »

Thank you!!! I'm doing my best, and it's difficult to be a GM and not subconsciously favor one side or another - that's also why I haven't done extra revision or expense credits, since those tend to be judgement calls.  Iituem really deserves a lot of credit, this is pretty tough.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 03, 2017, 02:25:34 am »

On a side note, I just realized something. Last turn ourcavalry was described as numerically inferior vbut qualitatuvely superior to the Moskurgians.

We can simply revise it, and then they have to deal with plate armoredknights bearing down upon them.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 03, 2017, 03:41:39 am »

+1 to potentially forthcoming permanent crystal proposals.
Also I will -1 my proposal to remind the G.M. that I don't vote for my own stuff.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 301