Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377017 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #615 on: April 14, 2017, 02:03:16 am »

In response to all the discussion about armor and lightning strikes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93OhpY65Xo0

Yes, that is Sweet Home Alabama playing at 1 billion volts... repeatedly. With zero damage to the person in the suit. Physics don't lie, and they definately don't lie to the tune of classic country songs.

Furthermore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNxDgd3D_bU

If we're trying to keep physics as accurate as possible, lightning would actually be more likely to hit our armored soldiers, but do less damage to them than to unarmored soldiers (realistically, and I use that word literally here, it wouldn't harm them). As a result, our armor would counter lightning. However, since this is a game with magic, we can simply toss real physics out the window.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 14, 2017, 02:27:08 am »

We should make something loud and bright to scare their horses! Maybe we can tune the firballs to expel more noise and light? Or maybe fireball in a crystal to make flashbangs and shrapnel grenades?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 14, 2017, 02:29:37 am »

I'm gonna be honest, I'm getting kinda tired of this.  You're comparing a 10,000 Watt tesla coil to a 10,000,000,000 Watt lightning strike. 

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 14, 2017, 02:49:57 am »

I'm gonna be honest, I'm getting kinda tired of this.  You're comparing a 10,000 Watt tesla coil to a 10,000,000,000 Watt lightning strike. 

On the other hand, his Tesla coil works for far longer than the fraction of a second that the lightning strike exist. That said, it is indeed a bad example. It only proves that the voltage of the lightning strike is incapable of doing damage.

A better example would be a car. Cars are perfect protection against lightning, due to a combination of the skin effect and being a metal box.

Edit : Oh, and using wattage is very misleading. Watt is expressed as joule/second, but no lightning strike last anywhere near to a second in duration.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 02:52:55 am by 10ebbor10 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 14, 2017, 02:51:41 am »

The watts are a problem and the exact conductivity properties as well. Either way, seems an acceptable break from reality.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 14, 2017, 02:53:48 am »

We should make something loud and bright to scare their horses! Maybe we can tune the firballs to expel more noise and light? Or maybe fireball in a crystal to make flashbangs and shrapnel grenades?

Their horses jumped straight through barriers of fire. I'm pretty sure they're braindead and thus fearless, like all moskurgians.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 14, 2017, 02:54:50 am »

Their horses jumped straight to barriers of fire. I'm pretty sure they're braindead and thus fearless, like all moskurgians.

So your saying we just need to make the fire walls hotter, wider and thicker so we can feast on horse meat.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 14, 2017, 02:55:47 am »

Ideally make them moveable as well, so as to sweep up the enemy forces.

But first, anti-magic.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 14, 2017, 02:57:35 am »

Your right, I am comparing a 200,000 tesla coil to a 1,000,000,000 lightning bolt. The argument that there would be some protection is still valid, and the physics support it. But I'm not one to argue with the GM after they've made a call.

But regardless of who is correct about the science (which short of an account of midevil knights getting hit by lightning, no one can say for certain), we should drop everything and invest in weather control. Its obviously much stronger than anything we're doing. We can make fireballs, with a temperature of 2000-9000 degrees, whereas for a similar cost, the enemy can summon lightning with a temperature of around 53,500 degrees (both in Fahrenheit). I mean, the power difference is inarguable. For their mages to be able to generate power many times more than ours over a large area for a longer duration of time, its no contest. We should counter with weather magic of our own.

The battle field is being constantly struck by lightning, the enemy is already doing the loud and bright thing, and it's not scaring their horses.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 14, 2017, 02:58:03 am »

Ideally make them moveable as well, so as to sweep up the enemy forces.

But first, anti-magic.

With freeway on-ramps for arms and hearts as black as coal!

Wait wrong... nevermind.

You know, if we want to do bestial splicing, we should probably do it on our horses first.  Or on the Moskurg troops, and turn them into chaos spawn.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 14, 2017, 03:02:37 am »

But regardless of who is correct about the science (which short of an account of midevil knights getting hit by lightning, no one can say for certain), we should drop everything and invest in weather control. Its obviously much stronger than anything we're doing. We can make fireballs, with a temperature of 2000-9000 degrees, whereas for a similar cost, the enemy can summon lightning with a temperature of around 53,500 degrees (both in Fahrenheit). I mean, the power difference is inarguable. For their mages to be able to generate power many times more than ours over a large area for a longer duration of time, its no contest. We should counter with weather magic of our own.

Trying to catch up will always be a loosing game. Hell, I've got a feeling everything we try is a loosing game.

The Moskurgians have not deployed a new design in 2 years, and we haven't gained any ground, despite sacrificing a few areas to concentrate forces.

When the Moskurgians deployed horses, they captured much terrain. When we did, we accomplished nothing, despite the fact that our cavalry was said to be better.

Their wind spell is an instant hard counter against most of our designs (mist, bugs, ships, arrows) , but our fireballs do not do anything against their ships.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 03:05:05 am by 10ebbor10 »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 14, 2017, 03:03:17 am »

Quick question: Are wizards used at sea?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 14, 2017, 03:06:18 am »

Our fire insects were used at sea before the Moskurgians instant hard countered everything we had with a single design.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 14, 2017, 03:11:14 am »

Our fire insects were used at sea before the Moskurgians instant hard countered everything we had with a single design.

Yes, but as far as I can tell, the enemy has absolutely no way of sinking our ships, and we have all of our mages shooting giant balls of fire at their ships. Which, at the very least, should be burning their sails and rending them immobile. Yet, we cannot gain any ground territory at sea. Which leads me to question whether or not we're actually deploying wizards with our ships.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 14, 2017, 03:12:45 am »

We put Myark on the fleet at one point. Accomplished nothing.

So we certainly are deploying wizards, it just appears that the Moskurgian wind spell is ridicously overpowered.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 301