Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 376977 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1365 on: April 29, 2017, 05:25:56 pm »

Let's not for now, stabby. We have tons of designs that need to/can be improved instead. Like we established before, we have a serious problem with making cool but initially flawed things and leaving them alone.
Next phase we shouldn't be making anything new. Hopefully, the new cannons will at least prevent any further Moskurg advances at sea, and new artillery should prevent further Moskurg gains in the jungle.

I'm thinking we should start actively countering their advantages. Namely:
  • Goddamn lucky shot.
  • Their anti-magic
  • Their new armor and weapons

@Andrea: I'm pretty sure from the wording in the design that the new ammunition is just as effective even with its reduced size.
Also, when is the expense credit "used" anyways?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: April 29, 2017, 05:27:51 pm »

Send crystal axe and crystal lance equipped heavily armored cavalry along with the new cannon.

We can revise the cannon next turn, I think an explosive shot that contains a self activating fireball would be neat or just cheaper.  For this turn lets try and grab that extra revision credit so we can super revise something.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: April 29, 2017, 05:30:20 pm »

Please reach an agreement on what troops you will offer to send, if any.

Remember: if you win, the troops you send will be absent this turn.

Sending troops :

Send part of the Tundra Garisson. My logic here is simple. The enemy is not attacking in the Tundra. Even if they do, we can just push them back next turn, with our massive homefield advantage. After all, we don't loose resources for having the Tundra invaded.

This allows us to send forces without weakening our front.

Send crystal axe and crystal lance equipped heavily armored cavalry along with the new cannon.

We can revise the cannon next turn, I think an explosive shot that contains a self activating fireball would be neat or just cheaper.  For this turn lets try and grab that extra revision credit so we can super revise something.

Enemy has anti magic. The balls would not detonate.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: April 29, 2017, 05:31:01 pm »

Building on VoidSlayer's suggestion:

Send large amounts of crystal axe and crystal lance equipped heavily armored cavalry along with a few hybrid cannons and just above the minimum required amount of apprentices to maintain the crystal weaponry and crew the cannons.
We're so lucky to have so many useless-to-us things to send!
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: April 29, 2017, 05:34:51 pm »

Revision Credit!!!  Foreigners land on our shores.  They are dark skinned and clad in simple garments of rough cotton and furs, and their accent is thick and difficult to understand.  They approach our king and beg for assistance.  It seems they are from across the ocean from a small country in a hot desert land and their home is under attack by invaders.  They are a poor people, and in their desperate search for mercenaries to help them hold their land they come to Forenia.  They cannot afford to pay for mercenary services, but if we help them them offer the wisdom of their mystic, an old man by the name of Barbushe.  Because Moskurg and Arstotzka are unwilling to cooperate, they will go with whichever nation can offer more troops, weapons, and other equipment to help them beat back the invaders. 

Remember people, they come from a hot desert land, so Moskurg basically gets the homefield advantage immediatly. Not sure Plate armor is going to well, work.

And that's all the info we have.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 05:36:57 pm by 10ebbor10 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: April 29, 2017, 05:35:40 pm »

well, we don't use cavalry much in this theatre and we have no use for crystals anymore... add a few crystals weapon crates to the deal and it should be fine.

@chiefwaffles effetcive yes, but it depends at what. generic formation breaking, big boulder has bigger effect. Just killing whatever it hits, small boulder is fine as well.
small gauge cannon also has less opportunity to field special ammunition, so I don't want our big cannon to be forgotten entirely.

-1 to sending away our apprentices and cannons most of our spells are cheap and they can be mass deployed. apprentices are far from useless. and sending a few cannons probably equates to icnreasing their expense level. I want to see them widely deployed from turn 1.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: April 29, 2017, 05:38:17 pm »

Anyway, I maintain we should draw forces from our Tundra garrissons only. The enemy is very likely not going to attack, and even if they do we'll just beat them back next turn.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: April 29, 2017, 05:38:21 pm »

Expense Credit: Arstotzka's Academy of Adequate Apprenticeship

The Academy has done a good job of training new apprentices in the mystical arts of mathemagics, but the limiting factor isn't the training - it's the enrollment.  For a fine as the Academy is, it could house so many more burgeoning young mages than it currently does.  Clearly, we need to find more apprentices.

The AAAA is proud to offer its very first military scholarship!  By scouring the nearby villages and towns for youngsters with even the most remote hint of magical or mathematical talent and offering them a scholarship to attend the very prestigious Academy, we can almost double the amount of apprentices we can field.  The only catch is that the individual must agree to serve two years in the Arstotzkan Military after their three-month education, but afterwards they're free to return to their villages and use their magic to improve the quality of life for their friends, neighbors, and family.

We get more sign-ups once we remove the mortality rate of apprentices from the flyer, but mathemagical talent is rare to find.  Still, the halls of the AAAA are soon bustling with young men and women who will one day serve Arstotzka proudly on the front lines.

Glory to Arstotzka. Expensive

Note: you've about tapped all the magic users in your country.  Newer ones are being born all the time and coming of age, but at the moment the only ones you don't have are the ones who've declined the offer.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: April 29, 2017, 05:40:16 pm »

I say use both cannons. Originals to front line, revised to snipe ballista. Because they are big targets.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: April 29, 2017, 05:40:28 pm »

The only catch is that the individual must agree to serve two years in the Arstotzkan Military after their three-month education, but afterwards they're free to return to their villages and use their magic to improve the quality of life for their friends, neighbors, and family

Is this fluff, or can we count on bonusses if we manage to keep the Moskurgians from murdering our mages for two years?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: April 29, 2017, 05:42:02 pm »

As to the cannon calibers:  at the moment, the design is for a ~5" cannon bore.  They will produce this design until specified otherwise, as it's superior to the larger bore in terms of its intended purpose.

Is this fluff, or can we count on bonusses if we manage to keep the Moskurgians from murdering our mages for two years?

If you can keep a non-negligable amount of apprentices alive for two years, you will get a better-fed populace due to your Dogwood Mages (not much need for fireballs, crystals, wasps, or spiderwebs in civilian life, though). 

Keep in mind, both Moskurg and Arstotzka go through apprentices like fucking tissue paper.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 05:44:25 pm by evictedSaint »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: April 29, 2017, 05:43:04 pm »

New suggestion combining Ebbor's and Void's:
Send large amounts of crystal axe and crystal lance equipped heavily armored cavalry along with a few hybrid cannons and just above the minimum required amount of apprentices to maintain the crystal weaponry and crew the cannons. Also send part of the forces currently garrisoning the Tundra.

@Andrea:
Sending away a few cannons would most certainly not increase their expense level. "A few" is like 10 at max. The cannons are more of a novel thing. We also have a lot of apprentices. In fact, the expense credit being used on the Academy will radically increase the amount to the degree where we could send large amounts of apprentices away and still have more apprentices this combat phase than last. I mean, there's a reason I said minimum because I'd still  like to use the advantage from the apprentices, and just sending the minimum, while required for our contribution for the revision credit, will be barely noticeable on the battlefield.
Besides, we really need that revision credit considering the mediocre states of many of our designs.
That and the crystal weaponry will more or less be useless without magical maintaining.

@Ebbor: While I'm somewhat open to not including the cannons, how will we lose if we send in cavalry?

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: April 29, 2017, 05:43:55 pm »

Well if (shout out to evicted for a call on this) our expense credit brings us more mages this turn, we can afford to send them to help this country. That way we just delay the benefits from that expense credit for one turn in exchange for a revision credit.

My vote would be: Send half of the soldiers used to guard the tundra, and all of our additional new mages (if we get them in time for this), as well as as many crystal weapons we can. No cannons though, and very little calvary.

End result: We're more at risk IF they attack the tundra (which is unlikely as their likely going to press into the jungle or reopen the mountain front) and we have the same number of mages as we did last turn. Our front lines don't change, except now we have a bunch of cannons.

Against soldiers, cannon caliber really doesn't matter. In fact, we'd be better off using grapeshot as it can hit many more soldiers than just a single cannonball. You only need larger caliber cannonballs against fortresses and other fortifications like that.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: April 29, 2017, 05:45:26 pm »

considering our plant growth spell, I would be very happy to see some of our mages returning to civilian life.

regarding cannon, as long as we keep both designs, I am fine with just producing the newer one. The old one can wait until we develop special shots that may require bigger gauge.

regarding taking troops from only the tundra garrison, that is fine for me IF we can do it. Still, I would not send everything.

@waffles oh, sorry. I misunderstood, I thought you meant to only KEEP the minimum apprentices to maintain cannons and crystals.
I think "we will send this, but not in enough quantities to feel the loss in the battlefield" kind of defeats the purpose of the contest. We have to give up something for it. Cavalry would be ideal, since I think it doesn't yet have a big role in the jungle.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 05:48:13 pm by andrea »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: April 29, 2017, 05:45:59 pm »

Roboson, worst case scenario if we send our cavalry is that they attack and gain one section of the Tundra.
If that happens, we can easily push them out the next phase with the cavalry back in our hands and the homefield advantage. And they are incredibly unlikely going to be suddenly attacking the Tundra for no apparent reason to them this combat phase.

Remember that we're getting our forces back. They're only going to be absent for this phase.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 301