Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377038 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1620 on: April 30, 2017, 10:41:56 pm »

UUUUUGH.
Order: Execute our mathemagicians and hire new ones. I'm thankful we got some slack considering our rolls, though.

I just hope we're deploying the HC1-Elite along with regular HC1's. Because I'm still optimistic in their use (while annoyed by the FAILURES OF OUR MATHEMAGICIANS). They'll still be quite useful, providing key fire support

Anywhoo, list for future things we can/should do with the HC:
  • Lower the expense of HC1-Elite. We've at least been kind of lucky because all we need to do is a simple expense revision to get the actual benefits of both revisions.)
  • Cooling Steam Recycler - Reliability (Which, in combination with #1, should hopefully give us Expensive HC2-Elites.)
  • Increased damage/destruction - Specialized shells, payloads, magical shells, whatever; some way to increase the damage caused by hits.
  • Magical/Mundane Sighting - Develop some kind of system allowing our HCx-Elite crews to fire without direct line of sight; Some kind of magical vision spell would work great for this but would still be risky. A more mundane system of just spotters could possibly be done, but that's very kludge-y and would limit us at the cost of a design slot.
  • Better range - With the above sighting implemented, the HCx-Elites can be given even better ranges allowing them to reign even more supreme!
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: April 30, 2017, 10:48:52 pm »

Agreed with the above. For 4 suggesting decrying as we can predict their troop formations that way too.

And due to time restraints. Cannot reveal al crazy plant stuff I had in mind. Again.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: April 30, 2017, 11:41:51 pm »

Well, that's a lot of revisions. So someone correct this if I'm wrong, but the cannon models we have now are:

HC1: Same cannon, with improved carriage to fire down and iron ammunition. Expensive (Still in use)
HC1-Elite: HC1 Cannon with rifling and range improvements. Very Expensive (Might be in use in single digits?)
HC2: HC1 Cannon with defective freezing spell and steam recycler for reliability/firerate, a one-shot wonder. Very Expensive (Not in use)
HC2-Elite: Presumably a HC2 with rifling and range improvements. Very Expensive (Not in use)

Despite the string of 1's, I think it's fortunate that the issues for -Elite variants seem to be cost only. Next turn, I suggest designing the Fog-O-War, and spending the revision to lower the cost of HC1-Elite, as Chiefwaffles suggested.

On the Sea, we now have the range advantage. If we can get the speed advantage as well with steam power, then the seas are ours, helping us in the Jungle as well.

Oh and Chiefwaffles, could you not auto-assume that people vote for their own designs? I think that's part of the problem we had in coming to a consensus earlier, as it just scatters more 1-votes around rather than creating 2-3 leading designs.

United Forenia Forever!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: April 30, 2017, 11:50:41 pm »

If people don't want me assuming their votes, they can include the design quote in their post when they submit designs.

I still want to find a way to counter lucky shot next turn and I'm unsure of the feasibility of designing a steam-powered ship now, but I am open to the Fog-O-War design next turn.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: May 01, 2017, 12:21:34 am »

Its too late now, but I was just given the best idea. All credit for this idea goes to Gryffindorkk. We make a spell that makes things much much lighter for as long as the mage keeps casting the spell. This would allow us to do a few things:

1) We could make our ammo super light when we first fire it, only to become heavy again after it gets out of the range of the spellcaster.
2) We can make giant domes of crystal that our soldiers can carry with ease (as crystal is already light and we make it lighter, it would be like a mobile fortress)
3) We can make our ships (and our heavy as hell steam engines) super light to make them much faster.
4) We can make our cannons light for easier transportation.
5) Gateway to airplanes.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: May 01, 2017, 12:29:38 am »

Sounds handy. But first we got to blow up those damn ballista before they kill all casters off.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: May 01, 2017, 12:37:04 am »

Combat for 929

Nightly raids still result in death for both sides, as no new technologies have been developed to assist in skirmishes.  Arstotzka does slightly better.

Combat has been much different since the advent of artillery that's reliable, plentiful, and accurate enough to be a crucial component of warfare.  The majority of casualties is no longer a result of arrow, axe, sword or lance.  Most of those who die never see the face of their attacker, only hearing instead the whistle of an artillery shell or hiss of a javelin.  Even the structure of forces has changed; infantry now hide behind their vulnerable artillery pieces, rushing forward only to meet a charge.  Archers are mostly useless, being out-ranged by the artillery and out-defended by both sides armor (although they are still modestly effective against Moskurgs at close range).  Their main use now is to shoot down incoming calvary charges, as the horses still gallop with their manes in the wind. 

Our forces begin nearly every engagement.  Our cannons strike from beyond their range, but the limited amount of HC1-E's mean the shells are few in number.  Despite the increased range they still hit more accurately than before; after being targeted, it's only a matter of time before a stray shell spikes through an enemy ballista and destroys it.  Though the jungle is mostly dead aside from the largest of trees and the occasional oddly-sprouted patch of plants, we have found a way to hide when a barrage is about to happen.  Our front lines are frequently clouded with mist, keeping them from viewing our actions.  We keep a few spotters ahead of the mist who shout back to our cannons.  At this extreme range our shells don't "skip" along the ground, instead hitting more perpendicular to the ground as they have further to fall.  Considering we are aiming to snipe artillery pieces, this is fine.  As soon as shelling starts Moskurg siege engineers hurriedly wheel their weapons forward, marching through our artillery fire until they're in range.  At this point the rest of our cannons begin firing in full-force, covering the nearby area with craters.  Moskurg returns the favor, sending death sailing towards our lines. 

The first time they hit us it's...devastating. 

With their uncanny accuracy they can't miss.  The first shell lands square on one of our cannons, instantly engulfing it and everyone nearby in flame.  Our men don't even have time to scream.  It's like a fireball, but worse - not even heavy rain will put out the flames on the ground.  Before it would take several shots with boulder or javelin to render a cannon inert, but now only a single hit will destroy it.  We still manage to destroy several of their ballistas from extreme range; enough to make a significant difference and hamper their ability to return fire, but our accuracy is inferior.  Once the enemy starts gaining the upper hand we are forced to move our infantry forward.  With fewer working ballistas we can't hit our infantry as hard as they could, but their fires still do the heavy lifting this fight.  They're not as large as our PSF's, but they burn for so much longer.  It splashes on impact, alighting multiple men at once who then either cook inside their armor or suffocate from the fumes.  The battlefield is a hellish sight; dead vegetation, craters pock-marking the ground, and patches of flame illuminating the heavy steel armor of men charging through the rain.  Once joined in melee it doesn't take long before we are pushed back, but it's not as sound a routing as it'd been the past few years.  Their own men are likewise ragged from the shelling, and no matter how many cannons they destroy they can't reach the HC1-E's in our back lines, meaning we can chip away.

When they return the assault, it's just as bad for our troops.  We begin firing long before they're in range from behind a curtain of mist that is difficult to blow away.  Their ballistas go ahead first to try and soften us up, but they start off at a disadvantage and it shows.  Still, their superior accuracy and terrifying new fire pushes our lines back the tiniest amount with each assault, even as their men continue to be pelted from extreme range as they march forward.

They make a small amount of ground; it's not much, but we were on the backfoot last year and they manage to press the advantage to secure a section of jungle.

Our Theatre Commander asks for longer-range artillery.  The HC1-E's are fantastic, and if we had more of them we could have fought them to a stalemate.  Hell, maybe even push them back a bit!  Anti-infantry shells are also needed, especially at longer range.  If we DO get something that can fire from beyond Extreme Range, we will need some way to spot the enemy - that's not crucial for the moment, but it's something to consider in the future.

Moskurg gains a section of jungle.

Our longer-range artillery is especially effective in the mountains.  Their castles are chipped to death from far away, requiring them to sally forth to meet us.  These sallies almost always end in defeat; we ambush them or shredded them with artillery fire before they can get in range.  Their advancement is likewise stymied; we are expecting them now, so they don't have the element of surprise.  They cannot sit back and chip us to death as both sides have equal range and our cannons have a height advantage atop our walls.  The fact that our new depression angle gives us greater flexibility helps us repel attackers, something the Theatre Commander is thankful for.  They make limited progress here, and lose a castle.  Moskurg is on the back foot.

Our Theatre Commander asks for more longer-range cannons to secure our advantage.  He once again points out that they had a bonus last time since we were caught unawares; perhaps an assault on the plains would be something to consider?  Surely they won't be expecting us there.

Neither side gains ground in the Mountains.

Both sides exchange lethal blows on the Western Sea.  We have cannons that can out-range their ships, and cannon fire is especially effective when it hits.  The story changes when they manage to close the distance to long-range, however; their fire shells hit with deadly effect.  A single hit causes a ship to burn up and continue to burn even as it sinks below the waves.  The fact that their faster ships let them determine the range of combat is their saving grace; they lose many ships from their long-range and accurate cannons, but their fire does more damage from closer range.  We backslide a bit further - we don't give up a lot of ground, but they manage to secure a bit more coastline since we were on the back foot last year.  They now hold the majority of the coast, and will control it entirely if they gain another section.

Our new Theatre Commander is a seasoned veteran.  Their fire is a problem - since Arstotzka has experience with fire, could you perhaps develop a spell to put it out?  Faster ships would let us determine the range of combat, making better use of our limited HC1-E's.  Oh, and he also requests more of them, too.

Moskurg gains ground in the Western Sea.

Expense Credit:  We spy a familiar sight this year; T’ung-K’ao sails once more into our harbors.  Our thanes go down to greet him at the docks; once his ship is moored and he is disembarked he flings a handful of cheap gemstones in our faces.  He's picked up a bit of Arstotzkan since he last visited, and through broken tongue he explains his seething anger.  He returned all the way to his homeland by the time he checked the crate, only instead of finding his razor-sharp magical crystal axes he instead finds a nearly-empty box and cheap gems rolling around inside.  He makes quite a scene, screaming at our men in broken Arstotzkan.  He demands that we repay him.  Either we give him an actual magical item to make up for the one we sold him two years ago, or simply return the money he spent (which would mean no revision this year).  Our nobles aren't particularly thrilled about either idea; one points out that his ship is sitting low in the water.  If we seize his ship, we may find enough treasure aboard to afford an Expense Credit.  What do we do?

It is 930, the Design Phase.

Spoiler: State of Forenia, 930 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Arstotzkan Elite Units (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arstotzkan Spells (click to show/hide)

Behavior Rules.  Please Read.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 03:00:38 pm by evictedSaint »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: May 01, 2017, 12:40:36 am »

Yeah. Here's yet another list from me:
  • Get the HC1-E to Expensive levels and replace the HC1 with it. (It'd be great if we could do the same for the HC2-E, to save time later)
  • Steam-powered Artillery Ship - Basically the Fog-O-War (though I really dislike that name) but with the explicit capability to provide ground support via HC1-E shelling.
  • Counter their anti-magic and/or Lucky Strike
  • Fix the HC2-E. Hopefully #1 also covered lowering the expense of the HC1-E, so we just need the Cooling Steam Recycler revision to be able to replace the HC1-E's with HC2-E's.

Also possible naming scheme:
SPB1-A "Fog-O-War"
Steam-Powered Boat - Artillery "Fog-O-War"

Also, anyone notice how the HCx-E fires shells now? Based on the description, the HCx-E seems to be getting quite close to WW1 artillery.

EDIT: Of course I get ninja'd by evicted.
So.
WE NEED TO COUNTER LUCKY STRIKE
The fire stuff is also a problem but less so.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: May 01, 2017, 12:41:52 am »

Also. Thanks to our new artillery...
We made WW1.

Congratulations everyone.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: May 01, 2017, 12:43:36 am »

I dunno if anyone's watched Saga of Tanya the Evil, but you guys are doing your damnedest to turn this game into that.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: May 01, 2017, 12:44:51 am »

On a side note, I'm a tad annoyed that Moskurg, in what appears to be single action, apparently has made a better fireball thingy than we have managed 5 turns + starting choice.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: May 01, 2017, 12:46:45 am »

They stole all your six's this turn.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: May 01, 2017, 12:49:07 am »

Ignore me. Faulty memory.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 12:57:18 am by 10ebbor10 »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: May 01, 2017, 12:57:16 am »

The wonderful power of rolls, I would assume.
At least evicted was kind enough to make it so even with both 1's we could still recover the HCx-E's with a single revision. The HC2 thing is incredibly annoying, as well.

Anywhoo.
Anchored Crystal Canopy
Crystal Canopy - A large, immobile shield of crystal that can cover a group of mages and a small surrounding area.  It blocks only from above with a slanted design.  A portion of it is summoned separately to allow a "firing port" which can be dismissed and re-summoned quickly to allow the cannon to fire out.

It is designed to be actively maintained by a squad of mages who will be under it.
In addition to the specifications outlined in the original Crystal Canopy design, the Anchored Crystal Canopy is formed in a way vaguely similar to a cheaper version of our anti-magic charms. The crystal acts like a "reversed" anti-magic charm in which it amplifies the "ambient magic" used to maintain the crystal. While the effect is much more mild than that of an anti-magic charm and its area of effect is limited to strictly the crystal itself, it does allow for the crystal to remain stable even in enemy anti-magic fields. And contrary to the "Anchored" in the name, it can be used on boats.
To be used to protect against enemy Lucky Shot projectiles - their ballistae, arrows, fire things, and more.

...that or something explicitly countering lucky shot. Like not just "this makes it less bad" or anything like that, but making Lucky Shot useless. Lucky Shot is the #1 reason why we're losing ground and we need to end it this turn. If someone suggests something better, than I'll gladly vote for it. I know Anchored Crystal Canopy is risky, but we just have to take risks at this point.
Designs
1 - Anchored Crystal Canopy

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: May 01, 2017, 12:59:17 am »

Crystal Canopy will not work.

What do you think happens to a bunker when a flaming projectile gets lobbed through the window?

On that note, I can not phantom how the Moskurgians did it. Given the well accepted -2 penalty for a new field, it should not even have been physically possible for them to have eone this.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 01:04:19 am by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 301