Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 301

Author Topic: Wands Race - [Arstotzka] {COMPLETED}  (Read 377076 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Wands Race - [Arstotzka]
« Reply #1665 on: May 01, 2017, 03:19:57 am »

Just gonna go ahead and add my name back to Trader Actions after someone removed it.

Trader Actions
1 - Give him Dogwood Wands+Tree: Azzuro
0 - Give him more Crystal Weapons+Apprentice:
1 - Give him Everything: Chiefwaffles (Link to full proposal: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163277.msg7439939#msg7439939 )
1 - Send Everything including Roboson
1 - The viking way: RAM
Link included as a less clunky way of making it easy for Evicted to find the actual proposal. I didn't hide the link so it's easier to copy+paste.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: May 01, 2017, 03:46:54 am »

A slightly more mundane solution to lucky strike.

Anti-projectile Ammunition

A modified version of our rifled ammunition, this new ammo has long spinning wires attached that deploy upon being fired from the cannon. They spin at a high rate and stabilize the flight path of the shell (as they don't impede the spinning effect of the riflery). These wires (think weed-whacker with hooks on the end) are designed to disrupt the flight path of any incoming projectiles. Crossing paths with their projectiles isn't an issue as we are aiming at their ballistas plus the wires are quite long. The wires have no trouble wrapping around enemy projectiles and plummeting them to the ground. They are intended to be shot at enemy ballistas and are meant to be an intercept weapon. In the case that they don't run into enemy projectile mid-air, they crash into enemy lines and ballistas like a giant blender. It's not pretty.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: May 01, 2017, 03:51:54 am »

Is it just me, or could we get a frost-pulsar effect by revising fireballs into explosionballs? Manually-detonated concussive force ought to knock something off-course and we can set up our mages to fire in cyclic volleys... I mean, yes, we would need a tower to properly spam them to clear the skies, but, ehh... also, there is precisely zero chance that they have enough fuel for this effect AND the means to ignite it unless they are using some sort of container. So busting them open before impact should disperse them over an impractical area and burn most of them in the air.

Have we found ruins of any containers?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: May 01, 2017, 03:54:27 am »

The wire needed to have a decent chance of hitting an enemy projectile would have to be huge, your better off trying to use some from of enchantment on the shells. Though how you would do so I don't know. Anyway another nice thing about flameblast gems is that they are a decent start on de-facto guns after all if we change how they activate(like by getting hit with a spring loaded hammer...), make them create a shorter stronger burst of flame and work multiple times we will have a half-way decent musket in theory. Not to mention having a way of storing magic could help keep our mages off the front lines.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:00:29 am by Light forger »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: May 01, 2017, 04:00:17 am »

Now isn't the time for offensive designs though, Light forger. We have to be countering their fire bombs and Lucky Strike.
Again, I'd like to point out if someone submits a design for a scaled-down Frost Pulsar (to where barring awful rolls, it can be expected to be Expensive or Regular) allowing for the same functions of Ray of Frost as well as limited knocking projectiles off course, then I'd happily support it.

You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Light forger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: May 01, 2017, 04:09:05 am »

I think this is very much a case of offense is the best defense if we massively out range then they really can't attack us. It's rather hard to setup and use a ballista when your being incinerated by artillery shells. Also I'm somewhat doubtful of being able to freeze or deflect their bolts midair without at least sinking two designs into it. This is just expanding our current arsenal.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: May 01, 2017, 04:10:55 am »

I'd happily support it.
Frostball:
We inverted a fireball and dragged it our to boring lengths. Instead of creating a cluster of energy the shoots to a target and then loses containment and spills everywhere, it creates a energy concentrator that constantly absorbs everything in its radius as it travels, until it expires, into, surprisingly enough, a fireball. Okay, so the name isn't perfect but it really is the opposite of a fireball, please believe us, the mathemagician that named it is super-pedantic and it will drive me insane otherwise...
Basically a moving implosion that pulls heat and matter towards itself, knocking projectiles off-course and chilling them. Also pulling soldiers towards itself and chilling them. Less range than a fireball, alas, due to the constant effect, but can royally murder a formation's line if it passes through them knocking them all together and leaving them with a nervous chill(a chill that makes them nervous, rather than a chill derived from nervousness, which would be the normal usage of the phrase...) and then exploding in the squad behind them...

It is basically combination frost-tower + fireball, with a support from our knowledge of sucking that we got from antimagic charms.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: May 01, 2017, 04:19:11 am »

Switching my vote to support Frostball. Seems straight-forward, and should even get an advantage thanks to prior knowledge!
Though...
Frostball Addendum: As long as the caster isn't extraordinarily stupid and skipped his Spell Targeting 101 at the Academy, Frostballs can be used to extinguish nearby and distant fires as well, as they 'absorb' and chill the fires as it travels past them. This is more of a clarification, since I can see Evicted missing the use of it for extinguishing things.

I'm also assuming RAM is voting for the Frostball. Feel free to correct me.
Designs
2 - Frostball: RAM, Chiefwaffles
1 - Ray of Frost: 10ebbor10
1 - Fog-O-War: Azzuro
1 - Flameblast Gems: Lightforger
1 - Anchored Crystal Canopy: RAM
1 - Frost Pulsar: Roboson
0 - Linked Gems:
0 - HC1-E Mobile:
0 - antiluck charm(RAM)
0 - Ragnarok(RAM)

Trader Actions
1 - Give him Dogwood Wands+Tree: Azzuro
1 - Give him Everything: Chiefwaffles (Link to full proposal: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163277.msg7439939#msg7439939 )
1 - Send Everything including Roboson

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: May 01, 2017, 04:20:58 am »

Designs
0 - HC1-E Mobile:
0 - antiluck charm(RAM)
0 - Anti-Projectile Ammunition

Trader Actions
0 - Give him Dogwood Wands+Tree:
2 - Send Everything including Roboson: Roboson, Azzuro

Changing my vote to sending Ambassador Roboson. If that's possible, of course, otherwise consider it a vote for Everything. Also removed RAM's Ragnarok design, because I thought we were sticking to max two designs per person. And the Linked Gems, because those were intended as a revision or future design.

They now hold the majority of the coast, and will control it entirely if they gain another section.

Our new Theatre Commander is a seasoned veteran.  Their fire is a problem - since Arstotzka has experience with fire, could you perhaps develop a spell to put it out?  Faster ships would let us determine the range of combat, making better use of our limited HC1-E's.  Oh, and he also requests more of them, too.

Emphasis mine. If they win the Western Sea, they WILL win the Jungle in short order with the resultant bonus. Please don't let this happen, vote for Fog-O-War ships.

United Forenia Forever!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: May 01, 2017, 04:25:35 am »

Oh, and he also requests more of them, too.
I don't think the Fog-O-War would be a bad choice, but I would like to emphasize this quote also given by the Theatre Commander. This revision cycle we should be reducing the expense of HC1-E's, and that'll significantly help us at sea. Also, both the Frostball and Ray of Frost designs solve the fire issue mentioned by the Commander, which I believe is the #1 reason we lost at sea.

Also switching my vote in Trader Actions to Send Everything Including Roboson with the same conditions as Azzuro - just voting for Send Everything if the Roboson part isn't possible.
Designs
0 - Linked Gems:
0 - HC1-E Mobile:
0 - antiluck charm(RAM)
0 - Anti-Projectile Ammunition

Trader Actions
0 - Give him Dogwood Wands+Tree:
0 - Give him Everything: Chiefwaffles (Link to full proposal: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=163277.msg7439939#msg7439939 )
3 - Send Everything including Roboson: Roboson, Azzuro

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: May 01, 2017, 04:30:51 am »

I'd happily support it.
Frostball:
We inverted a fireball and dragged it our to boring lengths. Instead of creating a cluster of energy the shoots to a target and then loses containment and spills everywhere, it creates a energy concentrator that constantly absorbs everything in its radius as it travels, until it expires, into, surprisingly enough, a fireball. Okay, so the name isn't perfect but it really is the opposite of a fireball, please believe us, the mathemagician that named it is super-pedantic and it will drive me insane otherwise...
Basically a moving implosion that pulls heat and matter towards itself, knocking projectiles off-course and chilling them. Also pulling soldiers towards itself and chilling them. Less range than a fireball, alas, due to the constant effect, but can royally murder a formation's line if it passes through them knocking them all together and leaving them with a nervous chill(a chill that makes them nervous, rather than a chill derived from nervousness, which would be the normal usage of the phrase...) and then exploding in the squad behind them...

It is basically combination frost-tower + fireball, with a support from our knowledge of sucking that we got from antimagic charms.

Why over-complicate it? You could just make highly condensed fireballs that explode when anything gets close. Basically an anti-projectile flak cannon. Flack fire. We definitely don't have the magical know-how to create black-hole balls like this.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: May 01, 2017, 04:31:34 am »

They (re)invented greek fire.... smart. Very smart.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: May 01, 2017, 04:32:28 am »

Our anti-magic charms and anti-magic bombs absorb energy.
Also, we still have the issue of fire.

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: May 01, 2017, 04:33:56 am »

Oh, and he also requests more of them, too.
I don't think the Fog-O-War would be a bad choice, but I would like to emphasize this quote also given by the Theatre Commander. This revision cycle we should be reducing the expense of HC1-E's, and that'll significantly help us at sea. Also, both the Frostball and Ray of Frost designs solve the fire issue mentioned by the Commander, which I believe is the #1 reason we lost at sea.

We can do that in the revision cycle, it's not mutually exclusive with rolling out Fog-O-War. And the frost ideas, while good insofar as they are grounded in already known magics, nonetheless are purely reacting to new Moskurg weapons - their fire shell. Which is shorter-ranged than our HC-1E, but that doesn't matter because they being faster means they dictate the range, not us. If we could stay out of their range with our speed while still firing upon them, we will win. Oh, and we already have fire at sea - our fireballs, but that is completely ineffective because Moskurg ships are staying out of fireball range, which is shorter than their ballistae, once again showing the importance of speed in naval combat.

United Forenia Forever!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: May 01, 2017, 04:37:47 am »

You know what?
I actually think the Fog-O-War may be a good idea. I would be worried about risk, but pretty sure that Evicted's post means we wouldn't get risks with the Fog-O-War design.

But then again, this would be yet another turn where Lucky Strike keeps on hurting us. Every turn we delay countering Lucky Strike is another turn they can make new things that benefit from Lucky Strike.
I just want to counter Lucky Strike.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 301